Author Topic: Best quality OEM profile MX caps?  (Read 1910 times)

Offline intelli78

Best quality OEM profile MX caps?
« on: Fri, 26 September 2014, 02:31:00 »
I've recently realized that I really like OEM profile caps. Unfortunately, OEM profile seems to coincide with cheap materials and printing in most cases. Anyone able to recommend some good quality doubleshot or PBT OEM-profile MX caps?
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
Re: Best quality OEM profile MX caps?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 26 September 2014, 02:55:08 »
Keycool make some nice OEM profile medium thickness POM and PBT keycaps. They're quite cheap, too, but fortunately still good quality.

Also, I'm not sure if the bi-color Vortex thick PBT doubleshots are Cherry-like or OEM profile. I think their new PBT/POM backlit doubleshots are the same. Their older ones (with the italic legends) are OEM.

<Edit - discovered the Vortex sets are all OEM. The bi-color sets have a very tall F-key row />
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 September 2014, 03:02:31 by Oobly »
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 26 September 2014, 03:18:38 »
Does someone have a side photo of the Vortex caps?

Edit: this one is okay:
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 September 2014, 03:23:08 by jacobolus »

Offline ceflame

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 26 September 2014, 03:32:24 »
I have those Vortex Bi-color keycaps. I'd reccomend them, one of the best feeling sets I've typed on.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 26 September 2014, 05:10:22 »
Hmmm... Aren't the Poker II caps also OEM? I believe Massdrop was running a GB for dark grey thick PBT Poker II style caps made by Vortex recently. Looks like it's over, but when there are enough requests they'll probably run it again: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/vortex-pbt-keycaps?mode=guest_open
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 26 September 2014, 05:26:14 »
Hmmm... Aren't the Poker II caps also OEM? I believe Massdrop was running a GB for dark grey thick PBT Poker II style caps made by Vortex recently. Looks like it's over, but when there are enough requests they'll probably run it again: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/vortex-pbt-keycaps?mode=guest_open

Those were supposed to be OEM, but they turned out to be cherry and a lot of people got upset about it. I would love a top-printed set like that in OEM. Wouldn't even mind a Cherry set; the legends are really classy. If only it was black on gray dyesub.
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 26 September 2014, 07:02:18 »
You're probably going to diss Tai Hao, but I am using a set from the first TH GB, and they are fine.  Consistent legends across the board.  No noticable manufacturing defects.  Even includes doubleshot blanks!

Actually this red set looks good on my white KeyCool :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 26 September 2014, 10:50:44 »
Vortex or Tai Hao

Tai Hao actually has a windows logo, so they're a lot more attractive now. I don't like the legends on the Vortex caps.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90