Author Topic: G80-3000 key caps-are there any?  (Read 4933 times)

Offline spale

G80-3000 key caps-are there any?
« on: Sun, 15 February 2015, 09:54:43 »
Hey everyone,

I just acquired Cherry G80-3000 (G80-3000LSCDE-0) for a younger brother, in order to introduce him with the mechanical world. Thats the exact model on the pic bellow. On the other hand, he would like to change color of some key caps, so can you please tell me what options are available?

Can I just take key caps from some old and malfunctioned keyboard with Cherry switches? I also checked, that some old BTC keyboards are compatible with Cherry (even though they are rubber dome).

In short, can you please  instruct me, so i know what to look for?

Thx a lot
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 February 2015, 09:59:10 by spale »

Offline munch

• !
Re: G80-3000 key caps-are there any?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 15 February 2015, 10:22:11 »
anything cherry MX compatible will work, but if you want some that are the same in feel, you will need to find Cherry profile keycaps. these tend to, unfortunately, be the most expensive ones.
if you can find a Cherry G81-3000 (L in the model ID means Lasered keycaps, like the one you have purchased) or something similar, they tend to be a little bit cheaper, they will fit perfectly in without changing the feel. however, I don't know whether those come in the colours that he would like.

lycka till!

Offline spale

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 15 February 2015, 11:00:24 »
Tackar!

So G81-3000 is the safe bet, I ll have that in mind (beside original Cherry profile keycaps). What about BTC keyboards, they also have cross underneath the caps just like Cherry. In that sense could I use some of the buttons from the keyboard bellow or similar?

Offline Nover

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 15 February 2015, 11:08:12 »
The 1u keycaps will fit. Center stemmed 1.5, too. But the capslock on the btc won't fit your 3000 as it is center stemmed. And G81 keycaps will mostly fit with the exception of the bottom row (unless it's a winkeyless model) and in the case of newer models the modifier keycaps have weird stabilizer inserts which makes them unusuable as well. Best bet is to wait on Ivan to check on this thread. :p

Rather cheap, new sets can be found on taobao, banggood and aliexpress.
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 February 2015, 11:41:26 by Nover »
SSK, Ducky YOTD

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 15 February 2015, 13:40:40 »
Other G80 or G81 keycap sets are your best bet.

Most standard MX compatible ISO keycap sets will fit on all but the Caps Lock and possibly spacebar. Both of those have an offset switch position, so unless the set comes with an "offset stem Caps Lock" / "stepped Caps Lock" and "Cherry position stem" on the spacebar these 2 won't fit.

Some Group Buys include the stepped Caps Lock with offset stem and most aftermarket set spacebars have extra stems to support the Cherry position switch. The spacebars from Signature Plastics for instance have 6 stems on the spacebar and support not only Cherry position switches, but also Leopold stabiliser positions.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline spale

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 15 February 2015, 15:48:33 »
Thx guyz I am getting there. :D
Are these key caps on vintage boards ( such as BCT above) PBT or ABS?
Cause my current white keyboard is all PBT ( black version was with ABS though, thats what I heard from Amazon comments as manufacturer didn't mentioned this difference on the package).
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 February 2015, 15:56:40 by spale »

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 15 February 2015, 15:51:23 »
In terms of original cherry boards, abs is what you will usually get
A board with PBT cherry caps is usually upwards of $500 if the seller knows the proper value.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 16 February 2015, 04:40:32 »
There are all sorts of keycaps out there on old boards, even old genuine Cherry boards can have dyesubbed PBT, lasered POM or PBT, pad printed ABS or doubleshot ABS.

Any of the sets found on Cherry G80-3000 or G81-3000 boards will fit, but it's sometimes hard to tell which ones are which materials unless you have the full product id. If you do, then you can look up here: http://deskthority.net/wiki/Cherry_article_numbers#Keycaps

That will at least tell you what type of legend is on the caps. For material, if they're black and lasered, they're POM, if they're light coloured and lasered, they're PBT.

For instance, a G80-3000LQCEU-2 with light coloured keycaps has lasered PBT caps, Clear switches and EU ANSI layout.

In terms of original cherry boards, abs is what you will usually get
A board with PBT cherry caps is usually upwards of $500 if the seller knows the proper value.

I disagree.. I happen to have 2 G80-3000 boards with PBT caps which I bought new for 60 euro each. They have the newer, thin lasered PBT caps, though, but even a board with thick Cherry PBT shouldn't cost that much.

I believe this set should fit, too: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=68198.0

As should this one if you get the Specialty Kit, ISO kit and Numpad kit: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=65935.0
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 February 2015, 04:47:33 by Oobly »
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.