Author Topic: [IC] DSA Milkshake (GB live!)  (Read 68669 times)

Offline biip

• @biipmk
Re: [IC] DSA Milkshake (Update + GB announcement)
« Reply #150 on: Fri, 18 May 2018, 17:01:51 »
I wouldn’t worry about the xda crowd with oblique and canvas r2 releasing soon in that profile. Is SP producing this set?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like this better than either of those, though.  The icons to me are better than micons, and more understandable.

I appreciate that comment a lot ⚡️

Offline Krona

« Reply #151 on: Fri, 18 May 2018, 17:05:24 »
I wouldn’t worry about the xda crowd with oblique and canvas r2 releasing soon in that profile. Is SP producing this set?

If we like xda, it doesn’t mean we willl buy any xda sets since they’re coming out soon. We like this design and we like xda.

Offline biip

• @biipmk
« Reply #152 on: Fri, 18 May 2018, 17:09:15 »

If we like xda, it doesn’t mean we willl buy any xda sets since they’re coming out soon. We like this design and we like xda.

Maybe for a possible R2 🤷‍♂️
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 May 2018, 17:37:59 by biip »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Re: [IC] DSA Milkshake
« Reply #153 on: Fri, 18 May 2018, 18:46:55 »
Support DSA for this set, mainly because those cute novelty and the centered legend looks nicer on DSA than XDA(this is very subjective though).

Yeah, IMO it looks better on DSA too! I know There is like half of the community who would prefer XDA rather than DSA, but I have to choose. I'll close the Poll soon anyways, and post the final results!

Or R2 of this in XDA?

It's a possibility. Perhaps even MT3 (through MD then), who knows…

Also, here's a preview with XDA (I don't have renders with that profile)

Show Image

Granite set's various runs taught that SP's sublimated DSA suffers from strong warping, present even in alphas and being worst in long keys like shift (2.75, 2.25), enter and backspace. That alone makes a strong argument towards using XDA. It is thicker than DSA that makes it more resilient against warping. It would be a shame for such a nice design to be poorly manufactured.

« Last Edit: Fri, 18 May 2018, 18:57:19 by ideus »

Offline biip

• @biipmk
« Reply #154 on: Sat, 19 May 2018, 12:08:43 »
Support DSA for this set, mainly because those cute novelty and the centered legend looks nicer on DSA than XDA(this is very subjective though).

Yeah, IMO it looks better on DSA too! I know There is like half of the community who would prefer XDA rather than DSA, but I have to choose. I'll close the Poll soon anyways, and post the final results!

Or R2 of this in XDA?

Show Image

Granite set's various runs taught that SP's sublimated DSA suffers from strong warping, present even in alphas and being worst in long keys like shift (2.75, 2.25), enter and backspace. That alone makes a strong argument towards using XDA. It is thicker than DSA that makes it more resilient against warping. It would be a shame for such a nice design to be poorly manufactured.

Show Image

Show Image

Didn’t knew :(
I hope the samples will be the more accurate and precise possible. I rly want this set to be as qualitative as possible!

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #155 on: Sat, 19 May 2018, 12:50:08 »

Or R2 of this in XDA?

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Didn’t knew :(
I hope the samples will be the more accurate and precise possible. I rly want this set to be as qualitative as possible!

Be sure to check them very carefully. The warping issue has not been reported solved, as far as I know. In the other hand XDA sets have never been found to be affected by anything similar. SP's sublimating process along with DSA thickness should factoring to produce the problem. In person, I just cannot tolerate the sinusoidal gaps between key rows. I sold the two Granite sets and multiple child subsets that I had, even when I really loved Matt's icons design and the color combination. The defect's visual is so ugly that makes even an extraordinary design to look like crap.

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #156 on: Sat, 19 May 2018, 14:29:14 »
I don’t mind either dsa or xda.
I don’t have any experience with both as I all my sets have been gmk this far.

Offline Parva Ovis

« Reply #157 on: Sat, 19 May 2018, 15:15:21 »
I have no preference where it comes to the profile itself but after having bought a few XDA Godspeed novelties I found the dye subbing a little fuzzy compared to DSA dye subbing from Signature Plastics which I found more crisp in comparison but I guess it's still not that a big a deal breaker for me though in either case.
XDA Godspeed had this issue but XDA Canvas and Milestone were not fuzzy.

Offline tomwang2011

« Reply #158 on: Sat, 19 May 2018, 23:16:07 »
I don’t mind either dsa or xda.
I don’t have any experience with both as I all my sets have been gmk this far.
I wonder how many people are in your shoes that voted, I wish the poll had "either" as one of the options. I like the looks of DSA sets as tons of pictures of DSA sets are floating around as it is more mass produced with SP constantly having them in stock. But after trying both XDA easily feels better than typing on DSA due to the larger surface area.

Offline Parva Ovis

« Reply #159 on: Sun, 20 May 2018, 22:28:39 »
Could we get homing keys for the Weirdo kit?

Offline Al41

« Reply #160 on: Mon, 21 May 2018, 00:03:42 »
I was hoping to see homing keys on the weirdo kit as well. In for it either way but they would be nice.

Offline biip

• @biipmk
« Reply #161 on: Mon, 21 May 2018, 17:03:44 »
What about that?

The question now is, should I extend the Weirdo kit like the Alpha kit by adding (in mono style) the ~6 missings keys?

Offline Electrum

« Reply #162 on: Mon, 21 May 2018, 19:22:43 »
The question now is, should I extend the Weirdo kit like the Alpha kit by adding (in mono style) the ~6 missings keys?

I think so :) since people might get it as a stand in for alphas *cough* me *cough*

Offline ullr

« Reply #163 on: Mon, 21 May 2018, 19:46:08 »
I would be getting the mono kit so I don’t care either way, but if you do you should add the 6.25u space bar because that would actually permit me to skip the alphas.

Offline dallman5

« Reply #164 on: Mon, 21 May 2018, 19:47:57 »
Selfishly speaking I’d like to see the last 6 keys added so I don’t have to buy the other alpha kit to complete the set, plus I feel the regular alphas may look out of place when combining kits since the weirdo kit is mono legends as well.
LF: OG Cherry APL (lasered), Artisans

Current collection:
More
Norbatouch (Galaxy Blue) | Mira SE (Lunar Grey, WKL) | HHKB Pro 1 (KB300BN) | Noxary X60 (Grey, HHKB) | KBDFans 5 Degree (Silver) | AEK64 (Grey) | Norbaforce (Tactical Black, WKL)) | Realforce 86U (White) | TGR 910 RE (Polycarbonate) | LZ-SQ (Black) | LZ-CLS (Grey, WKL) | Duck Orion v1 (Silver, WK)) | Nissho KB106DE | HHKB Pro 1 (KB300B) | LZ CLS-S (Blue, Poker) | Realforce 87U 10th Anniversary) | Realforce 104UK | TGR Alice (Grey on Pink) | Singa (Blue, WKL)  | Quantrik QXP (Blue Grey, WKL) | LZ-GH v2 (Black, WK) | KMAC Happy (Red, Poker)) | IBM Model M SSK (APL) | TGR 910 SE (Pink on Blue) | GSKT-00 (Silver, Poker) | OTD Koala (Silver, WKL) | Realforce R2 PFU Edition (Ivory) | IBM 3279 Beamspring (APL) | TGR Tris (Blue) | LZ-GH v2 (Blue, WKL)) | TGR Jane v2 (Blue-grey, WKL) | LZ-MP (Shine Grey, WKL)  | TGR x Singa Unikorn (Purple) | Justsystems x Realforce 108UG) | IBM Model F Unsaver (APL) | TGR Jane V2 CE (Multicolor, WKL) | Realforce 87U (Blank Black) | Lin Montage (Light Blue, WKL) | GSKT-00 AEK R2 (Grey, HHKB) | Leopold FC660C (Blank Black) | Duck Viper v3 (Grey on Black) | Rama Works M6-C RWxRW | LZ-GH v1 (Black, WKL) | Gok 7v (Grey) | biso x beaming Kei (SS, HHKB) | zacheadams x bisoromi little z | Matrix Noah (Silver/Grey, WKL) | Lin Whale (Pink, WKL) | TGR Alice (Polycarbonate) | Rama Kara (Noct) | Lin Whale75 (Burgundy, F13) | Realforce 89 (Ivory) | Hand Engineering Haus (Bluegrey) | Haytco CAKE60_R1 (Pantone 4167C) | LZ-XE (Grey, WKL) | Noxary X60 V2 (Grey, WK) | Daji Ochocuatro (Grey, WKL) | HHKB Hybird Type-S 25th Anniversary (Snow) | LZ-REs (Grey, WKL) | Matrix 8xv 3.0 (Blue-Black/Deep Grey, WKL) | Realforce 23UB | Biso RS60 (Black, WK) | TGR x MXF Koala (Grey/Black, WKL)

Italics = Incoming, Black = Gone

Offline rfindra

« Reply #165 on: Mon, 21 May 2018, 20:54:07 »

yes please, yes!!  ;D

Offline biip

• @biipmk
« Reply #166 on: Tue, 22 May 2018, 06:09:43 »

I think so :) since people might get it as a stand in for alphas *cough* me *cough*

I would be getting the mono kit so I don’t care either way, but if you do you should add the 6.25u space bar because that would actually permit me to skip the alphas.

Selfishly speaking I’d like to see the last 6 keys added so I don’t have to buy the other alpha kit to complete the set, plus I feel the regular alphas may look out of place when combining kits since the weirdo kit is mono legends as well.

yes please, yes!!  ;D

Here you go! We now have 2 alphas kits ;)

Also, any thoughts on a dots kit ?

« Last Edit: Tue, 22 May 2018, 06:11:57 by biip »

Offline vewy_nice

« Reply #167 on: Tue, 22 May 2018, 06:40:05 »
"Weird alphas" rolls off the tongue a bit better ;)

And I'd be down for some dots!

Offline biip

• @biipmk
« Reply #168 on: Tue, 22 May 2018, 07:29:08 »
"Weird alphas" rolls off the tongue a bit better ;)

And I'd be down for some dots!

True ahah! "Alphas weirdo" sounds kinda bad…

Offline gilmoregrills

« Reply #169 on: Tue, 22 May 2018, 07:36:40 »
Dots look cuute I'd be into that!

Also there should be a QUEERTY kit that's just those letters for a gayer and more misleading keeb

Offline rfindra

« Reply #170 on: Tue, 22 May 2018, 07:37:53 »

yes please, yes!!  ;D

Here you go! We now have 2 alphas kits ;)

Show Image

Also, any thoughts on a dots kit ?

Show Image

Yes for weirdos. Ortho. Maybe 40s and mod  ;D
Hmmm dots? Lets see. . . 

Offline naelocin

« Reply #171 on: Wed, 23 May 2018, 14:43:41 »
Can't wait for this set! One of the only non-blank sets I've liked, and the first non-blank set I plan on buying.

Offline TyrionLannister

« Reply #172 on: Wed, 23 May 2018, 14:44:21 »
XDA pleeeeeeease. I will throw money at this set in XDA

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #173 on: Wed, 23 May 2018, 17:00:43 »
Don’t look cuute I'd be into that!

This is how I read it <3

Offline ullr

« Reply #174 on: Thu, 24 May 2018, 00:02:19 »
I’d buy a dot mods kit

I have like $300 worth of HC Granite, and while I like it, I can confirm that basically every cap is warped. I prefer the look of XDA but I have never had any dye subbed XDA sets so I can’t speak of the quality

Offline THRILLHOIAF

« Reply #175 on: Thu, 24 May 2018, 10:43:12 »
For what it's worth, my two cents on the number of kits/variations,

I love them all, I genuinely think each kit looks great, that being said,

If this set DOESN'T go through Massdrop, you might have a REALLY hard time making MOQ's for each kit, to a point where you will be selling at the bare minimum MOQ  which means higher prices which in turn may shoo away many of the people who say they were in for said kits.

Just be careful to not throw provide TOO many alternate/weirdo options, as not having the reach of massdrop can really hamper hitting MOQ

Offline azulyf

« Reply #176 on: Thu, 24 May 2018, 18:51:10 »
Not sure if manufacturer has been decided, but I want to mention that Keyreative doesn't support homing keys. And all XDA sets homing keys are far from noticeable. It seems that dsa sets from Primekb have barred homing keys (honeywell and bounty hunter), which is my preference.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #177 on: Thu, 24 May 2018, 19:37:22 »
Not sure if manufacturer has been decided, but I want to mention that Keyreative doesn't support homing keys. And all XDA sets homing keys are far from noticeable. It seems that dsa sets from Primekb have barred homing keys (honeywell and bounty hunter), which is my preference.

If I remember well, there are homing nubs, but not homing bars for DSA.

Offline biip

• @biipmk
« Reply #178 on: Fri, 25 May 2018, 01:05:14 »

If I remember well, there are homing nubs, but not homing bars for DSA.

I asked Keycreative for samples, but I have to make sur each svg is « perfect » (since they prefer to have everything even if they sample only 3 kits...). Anyways, if the samples doesn’t match or doesn’t look good, I’ll contact SP.

I’ll send the svgs Monday probably, and then I’ll have to wait 2 weeks for the samples. I’ll let you know guys!

Offline Electrum

« Reply #179 on: Fri, 25 May 2018, 10:19:38 »

I’ll send the svgs Monday probably, and then I’ll have to wait 2 weeks for the samples. I’ll let you know guys!

So

Much

Hype!

Offline EllipticSquare

« Reply #180 on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 10:21:16 »
God I've been eyeing this set for ages and just had to log in and show how hyped I am. It will literally be the first GB I want to participate in.
I'm only worried if I'll enjoy DSA since I've used Cherry profile since forever and I hit the very edges quite a bit.

Offline biip

• @biipmk
« Reply #181 on: Thu, 31 May 2018, 05:10:35 »
God I've been eyeing this set for ages and just had to log in and show how hyped I am. It will literally be the first GB I want to participate in.
I'm only worried if I'll enjoy DSA since I've used Cherry profile since forever and I hit the very edges quite a bit.

Waow thanks! Well I can’t tell how the transition from Cherry to DSA will be for you. I made it and had no issues, I even find the top edge better for my thin fingers :) but it’s just my opinion/feeling

Glad you like the set <3 samples producing will takes some days, but I’ll post pic when I receive them!

Offline biip

• @biipmk
« Reply #182 on: Thu, 31 May 2018, 07:42:18 »
Quick update the GB:

EU Proxy: Candykeys
Asian Proxy: Zfrontier
US Proxy: Novelkeys
Date: TBD, but in June!

Offline sevenseacat

Re: [IC] DSA Milkshake (Update + GB in June)
« Reply #183 on: Thu, 31 May 2018, 09:29:35 »
Dang, was hoping this would be on Massdrop for much cheaper pricing. Preparing wallet...

Offline biip

• @biipmk
« Reply #184 on: Thu, 31 May 2018, 09:41:02 »
Dang, was hoping this would be on Massdrop for much cheaper pricing. Preparing wallet...

We if we hit MOQs… Anyways, I'll have pricing info in a few days too and I'll post them here ;)

Offline haiz85

« Reply #185 on: Thu, 31 May 2018, 10:33:17 »
any idea which set i need for fc980m?

Offline biip

• @biipmk
« Reply #186 on: Thu, 31 May 2018, 10:36:27 »
any idea which set i need for fc980m?

Correct me I'm wrong, but I'd say alpha + TKL + numpad

Offline oh_chesteroni

« Reply #187 on: Thu, 31 May 2018, 11:19:47 »
Was a profile and manufacturer decided on? DSA and keycreative?

Offline nerdblog_io

• Family Man, Highlander, Leader of the Gorgonites
    • Nerdblog.io
« Reply #188 on: Thu, 31 May 2018, 11:38:34 »
Very excited to see this if it ever makes it to GMK!

would match perfect with the bro trio!

Offline biip

• @biipmk
« Reply #189 on: Thu, 31 May 2018, 12:00:15 »
Was a profile and manufacturer decided on? DSA and keycreative?

DSA y.
I ordered samples to keycreative, we will see how it looks. If I’m not satisfied, I’ll go through SP.

Offline TyrionLannister

« Reply #190 on: Thu, 31 May 2018, 12:31:03 »
If you do DSA through SP, prepare for a lot of warping

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #191 on: Fri, 01 June 2018, 02:54:02 »

I think we’ve heard the concerns about warping by now

Offline oh_chesteroni

« Reply #192 on: Fri, 01 June 2018, 02:56:35 »

I think we’ve heard the concerns about warping by now
Is this only an SP issue or an issue with dsa profile in general?

Offline Cantello

« Reply #193 on: Mon, 04 June 2018, 07:23:18 »
Looks brilliant! Even with NORDE support. Now I have a hard time deciding between this and XDA Oblique/Canvas. All look beautiful, although I slightly prefer the colors of Milkshake.  ;D

Offline biip

• @biipmk
« Reply #194 on: Mon, 04 June 2018, 09:27:13 »
Looks brilliant! Even with NORDE support. Now I have a hard time deciding between this and XDA Oblique/Canvas. All look beautiful, although I slightly prefer the colors of Milkshake.  ;D

Thanks 🙏 I'm actually waiting for samples, and the Group buy should be in a few weeks (before the end of the month)!

Offline ELLIOTTCABLE

« Reply #195 on: Sun, 10 June 2018, 16:45:41 »
Man. Any chance of adding ‘Werido’-style symbols to the monos? The alphas (mono) and numerics (mono) are variously available in both ‘normal’ and ‘weirdo’; but it looks like I won't be able to build a set with visible symbols that matches the ‘weirdos.’ (Sucks; because as fast as my Colemak typing is, I can never remember where the damn symbols are on the number-row without looking. This might be a dealbreaker for me, because the ‘weirdos’ really sell the set!)

Seems like it wouldn't be too hard to add — either to the “monos” kit, or to the base “weirdos” kit?

And finally — THANK YOU, FOR COLEMAK SUPPORT. I swear, every other colorway I look at, I get super excited, and then realize there's no homing T and N …  :-X

Offline ullr

« Reply #196 on: Sun, 10 June 2018, 16:49:19 »
Man. Any chance of adding ‘Werido’-style symbols to the monos?

I don’t think the kits would clash. As you can see he has renders from before he did the numbers in the ‘weirdo’ style, and the result does not look bad at all.

Offline biip

• @biipmk
« Reply #197 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 03:50:25 »
Man. Any chance of adding ‘Werido’-style symbols to the monos? The alphas (mono) and numerics (mono) are variously available in both ‘normal’ and ‘weirdo’; but it looks like I won't be able to build a set with visible symbols that matches the ‘weirdos.’ (Sucks; because as fast as my Colemak typing is, I can never remember where the damn symbols are on the number-row without looking. This might be a dealbreaker for me, because the ‘weirdos’ really sell the set!)

Seems like it wouldn't be too hard to add — either to the “monos” kit, or to the base “weirdos” kit?

And finally — THANK YOU, FOR COLEMAK SUPPORT. I swear, every other colorway I look at, I get super excited, and then realize there's no homing T and N …  :-X

Thanks for your interest, I appreciate!

I designed the weirdo characters with the same stroke thickness as the regular font, so it'll match perfectly together don't worry. Even the Icon modifiers got that same thickness!
The thing is, I can't basically make 2 versions of each kit. Even there, I have many kits…

There are homings for H U N and T

I don’t think the kits would clash. As you can see he has renders from before he did the numbers in the ‘weirdo’ style, and the result does not look bad at all.

Exact :)

Also, here is a possible other kit :

What do you think of it?
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 June 2018, 04:00:26 by biip »

Offline tigerali

Re: [IC] DSA Milkshake (waiting for samples + GB end June)
« Reply #198 on: Wed, 13 June 2018, 22:45:39 »
Dots would be amazing for raise and lower keys on an ortho board.

Offline Cantello

Re: [IC] DSA Milkshake (waiting for samples + GB end June)
« Reply #199 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 03:13:49 »
Dots would be amazing for raise and lower keys on an ortho board.

For all kinds of things, actually. The dots would also fit on a Tada68 with standard layout and three 1u ALT/CTRL/FN keys.