Author Topic: fc660c 45g feels different from hhkb?  (Read 2392 times)

Offline fishcola

fc660c 45g feels different from hhkb?
« on: Sat, 22 August 2015, 14:33:55 »
Hullo:

My birthday's coming and I've been eyeing the fc660c for a long time. I can't remember exactly where, but I've seen some fc660c owners say their topre 45s feel heavier than the hhkb... I even recall someone saying it's like a mini realforce due to the plate and alleged heavier feel... I was 100% decided on the fc660c, but now I wonder ifI should consider a type-s instead. I know there are lots of "fc660c vs hhkb" threads, but regarding feel alone, could some of you guys share your experiences?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: fc660c 45g feels different from hhkb?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 23 August 2015, 00:54:18 »
I have not used an FC660C, but if they had been available when the opportunity presented itself to buy my HHKB, I probably would have gone with the FC660C.

As it is, I ended up with the HHKB, and haven't regretted it.

Due to the FC660C plate-mount vs. HHKB case-mount, the FC660C is usually reported as feeling heavier and more solid.  Also the sound is different, with the HHKB usually being reported as having the more representative Topre "thock" sound (except for the silenced HHKB).

If you end up a Topre fan, chances are you will end up with both keyboards anyway at some stage.  The only thing stopping me from getting an FC660C is lack of funds.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline fishcola

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 23 August 2015, 13:53:46 »
I probably will end up owning both at some point, but I guess I'm having a particularly agonizing time because of the white fc660c... I could buy one from Korea/Jp and have it shipped for the price of a type S from EK.com... and I started out planning to spend within $250 USD for a keyboard indulgence  ;D.

I think I'm going to go for the gray fc660c, since I"m probably going to *one day* have a white hhkb. Thanks for your response!

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 23 August 2015, 13:59:23 »
I would prefer the layout & plate of the FC660C but that useless Insert key would bug me.

Offline fishcola

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 23 August 2015, 14:13:27 »
yeah, the ins/del section bugs lots of people. For me, it gives the fc660c some character compared to other ~60% boards.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 03:43:15 »
The Ins key can be used to do paste in many apps, try Shift-Ins for example.

Otherwise there is a very good spot for two artisan keycaps in the top right corner of the keyboard.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 20:58:50 »
Otherwise there is a very good spot for two artisan keycaps in the top right corner of the keyboard.

NO

Offline fishcola

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 22:25:20 »
haha! I've seen lots of people put artisans on them... I don't know if I could do it... buuut the oktoberfest one is pretty cool IMO :D.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 22:30:48 »
The Leopold's extra keys love getting remapped to Page Up/Page Down.
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 22:34:14 »
The Leopold's extra keys love getting remapped to Page Up/Page Down.

Do you have to use software though? booo

Offline fishcola

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 22:58:35 »
I kind of like the function layers offered out of the box. You can remap Fn to L. Win with a DIP switch. then its just FN + l for pgup and FN + . for pgdwn. I use vimperator on firefox, so I already use hjkl for navigating. (it's addictive, you should give it a try!)

Offline Polymer

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 23:21:03 »
Hullo:

My birthday's coming and I've been eyeing the fc660c for a long time. I can't remember exactly where, but I've seen some fc660c owners say their topre 45s feel heavier than the hhkb... I even recall someone saying it's like a mini realforce due to the plate and alleged heavier feel... I was 100% decided on the fc660c, but now I wonder ifI should consider a type-s instead. I know there are lots of "fc660c vs hhkb" threads, but regarding feel alone, could some of you guys share your experiences?

I think the early Leo was slightly lighter than the HHKB as far as keypresses....the later ones (which I haven't tried) seem to be heavier...Realforce 45g is LIGHTER as far as keypresses are concerned...that's what seems to be the general consensus and one I agree with. 

The plate changes the way it feels..makes it less thocky...but at least the Leo retains more of the thock than the RF...

Feel wise, I think the HHKB feels the best...more organic feeling...more thock...

The Leo is a great board though...the problem most people have w/ the HHKB is the arrow keys...and the leo gets around that...You will also need to adjust to the backspace key on the HHKB..which is easy to get used to..probably takes some time to go back and forth from that to a normal layout..and again, the Leo doesn't require any of those adjustments...

I'm pretty happy with the HHKB...but I do think the Leo has a much lower learning curve and can be used by anyone....the HHKB...you sort of have to force your way to get used to it..

Offline fishcola

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 23:40:13 »
sigh, if only i could get both boards at the same time! I have no problems with the hhkb layout, I've actually learned to admire it and have even remapped \ to backspace on my current board. I'm choosing the leo because it's an hhkb alternative, and that in itself is a rare/intriguing to me. Something about it just tells me to buy it lol. it's got a weird layout , but at the same time it has nice filco-style dyesubbed legends. (i think filco-style dyesub is my favorite). It's beautifully ugly, i guess.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 27 August 2015, 05:36:53 »
I like the FC660c more, personally. The whole board feels better made and more "premium" to me. HHKB is flexible, has poor grip and is too light (overall keyboard weight) for my taste. Also, I'm too used to the inverted T arrows to ever get used to the HHKB arrows.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline fishcola

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 27 August 2015, 23:47:38 »
Oh no, i don't think I'd ever be able to get used the hhkb arrows! Thankfully, I only need arrow keys when dealing with BIOS or menu-based installs for some linux distros. Otherwise, I just use bash/emacs keybindings... ctrl swapped with capslock is huge for me... It's probably the sexiest thing about the hhkb for me !

I guess I've been spoiled with plate-mounted boards, and I'm committed to getting a 660c, but hearing how much people love the case-mount setup in the hhkb, I can't help but wonder what the fuss is about... ohwell, next time I want to burn ~$250 :D.