Author Topic: [GB] SA Retro [Closed]  (Read 527892 times)

Offline filphil

• One day I hope to find a love like JD and Turk
Re: [GB] SA Retro
« Reply #550 on: Tue, 07 July 2015, 20:49:37 »
Unless when this set comes in I get hooked on SA...

Trust me when this set comes in, you'll be hooked like a crack-ho in a toilet.  All you will ever want from that day forward is MORE SA profiled caps, nothing will stand in your way, nothing........  8)

Unless a GMK Retro... then we'll hear the cries of our wallets begging for mercy.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #551 on: Thu, 09 July 2015, 06:26:27 »
Unless when this set comes in I get hooked on SA...

Trust me when this set comes in, you'll be hooked like a crack-ho in a toilet.  All you will ever want from that day forward is MORE SA profiled caps, nothing will stand in your way, nothing........  8)

The Cherry/OEM profiles are like all-row-4 SA's - each row has a height difference, all of the keycaps are tilted
Comparatively, the row-1-2-3-4 is like a slide, each row connected to one another

I guess only experience will show which sculpture is better, but after some thinking, I think I prefer normal keycaps more, especially this row3 shift issue is demotivating -  I can't handle asymmetry well

I spent more than a thousand on keycaps in the last 6 months, but I'm probably going back to uv-printed wasd keycaps (going to matte coat them), until there is another flexible double shot manufacturer, or even dye-subs (JTKeycaps producing non-standard keycaps maybe)
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #552 on: Thu, 09 July 2015, 20:30:03 »
uv-printed wasd keycaps (going to matte coat them)

^ Yes!

I just love UV-printed keycaps...they have the just molded smell...very nice!

:thumb:
Daily Driver: Typist A w/Midnight Dawn | Kailh BOX Clicks

Junktown 2: Now on eBay!

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #553 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 02:09:08 »

The Cherry/OEM profiles are like all-row-4 SA's - each row has a height difference, all of the keycaps are tilted
Comparatively, the row-1-2-3-4 is like a slide, each row connected to one another

Well, not exactly.

OEM, DCS and Cherry are angled away from the user due to tradition, with typewriters and old terminal boards made with quite a tilt to them. This creates a "step" between keycap edges. SA is based on a "flat" starting point. They're both contoured, with Row 3 being lowest and angled at the base angle and the extreme top and bottom rows taller and angled more towards and away from the user.

I use my boards close to flat for better ergonomics, so I really like the SA profile. I find the "edges" of tilted profiles requires more effort to type on, can't quite "glide" across the caps like I can on SA.

I really do hope SP put some money / effort in and make the Row 4 Shift molds, but like Matt3o says, I don't think they will without a big push from the community.

Now that I've seen some pics of 7bit's Round 5 Honeywell caps I'm disappointed that I didn't join in on that buy. The classic black on whitre and white on red colours look incredible on SA caps. So glad I scrounged enough money together to join in this one in time, though :)
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #554 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 14:16:58 »

Well, not exactly.

OEM, DCS and Cherry are angled away from the user due to tradition, with typewriters and old terminal boards made with quite a tilt to them. This creates a "step" between keycap edges. SA is based on a "flat" starting point. They're both contoured, with Row 3 being lowest and angled at the base angle and the extreme top and bottom rows taller and angled more towards and away from the user.

I use my boards close to flat for better ergonomics, so I really like the SA profile. I find the "edges" of tilted profiles requires more effort to type on, can't quite "glide" across the caps like I can on SA.

I really do hope SP put some money / effort in and make the Row 4 Shift molds, but like Matt3o says, I don't think they will without a big push from the community.

Now that I've seen some pics of 7bit's Round 5 Honeywell caps I'm disappointed that I didn't join in on that buy. The classic black on whitre and white on red colours look incredible on SA caps. So glad I scrounged enough money together to join in this one in time, though :)

I'm also very envious of the Round5

I agree with you for the most part about the sculpture, yet the R4 bottom row is pretty limiting, if you don't angle the keyboard, the thumb might get stressed, if you angle the keyboard, the row1 could become too extreme
I guess it could work if you keep the keyboard flat and close to yourself while typing, for my usage, the keyboard stays away from me, as I take physical notes too, so it won't work
(As I'm using 60%'s, unless I build custom spacers, it's either fully flat or constant-angled for me, I don't think fully flat could work, so I'm currently planing on angled)

I guess only experience will tell how things will work out, I still haven't built a keyboard for Hack'd by Geeks either, maybe when I do things will become clearer (Hack'd is simpler compared to Retro, the R3 shifts blend pretty well with the R3 bottom row)

To top these dilemmas off, the R3 shift is just an extreme nuisance, I was going to buy additional R3 1.75u + R3 1u custom keys to at least achieve some symmetry on the right side, but that didn't work out
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #555 on: Sat, 11 July 2015, 16:21:28 »
I just realised I can make things like these happen: http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/aef2c333a0994d8c23cc888da84ba617 (this is possible with SA Retro, the LShift is 2u and R4)

Never considered moving the modifiers before, but considering keycap availability, it's much simpler than seeking the perfect keycaps

The above layout only requires one pcb bypass with the pcbs I have - I'm still not sure about the details tho, having the arrow keys further closer to the middle might prove confusing

Edit: or this: http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/34308aa5ea9071ed5669a8094856bbba - no point in keeping the shift stabilised

----------

Further ideas:

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/a8171acd18f876534bdee36572cffcc2

Simplified, isolated the arrows, dropped the right shift (I only use it with Vim, or when my left hand is full): http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/731936cc7250df5d3a2397768015ec17

The last one might be my optimal layout, as my only problem with 60%'s is the occasional enter+arrows confusion + mis-clicks, isolating the arrows solves that issue
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 July 2015, 17:58:27 by KHAANNN »

Offline blastoid

« Reply #556 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 22:22:14 »
I know the recent Granite run was a big undertaking by SP, and Massdrop missed their original target ship date by over 2 weeks. Are we still expecting SA Retro to ship in the next few weeks, or will the delay be passed on? Or was the delay all on Massdrop?

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #557 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 23:55:34 »
I know the recent Granite run was a big undertaking by SP, and Massdrop missed their original target ship date by over 2 weeks. Are we still expecting SA Retro to ship in the next few weeks, or will the delay be passed on? Or was the delay all on Massdrop?

MassDrop has the Granite caps in hand, so SP should be on to other things (hopefully)

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #558 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 06:23:10 »

we havent been told of any delay, it should be shipping to us the very end of this month
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #559 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 06:45:30 »
We're probably missing some updates from the times geekhack went down, the gray color changed for example

It would be great to know what additional keycaps are available but not in the mockups, is the R3 1.75 Control the only one?

Offline pkircher

« Reply #560 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 08:11:24 »
2 weeks to go ..

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #561 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 10:42:36 »
We're probably missing some updates from the times geekhack went down, the gray color changed for example

It would be great to know what additional keycaps are available but not in the mockups, is the R3 1.75 Control the only one?

as we promised all the missing keys were added :)

Offline filphil

« Reply #562 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 07:53:57 »
All this talk about hyperfuse and triumph adler and this thread is dead silent.

What's the news matt3o?!

Offline FuriousGeorge

« Reply #563 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 13:15:05 »
Bah, I only just now realized that the only row 1 brown escape key is in the alternate functions which I didn't order. Any other possibility of getting one or anyone willing to sell one they won't be using? I'm sure I can live with a row 2 brown or one of the colored ones if not.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #564 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 13:22:43 »
Bah, I only just now realized that the only row 1 brown escape key is in the alternate functions which I didn't order. Any other possibility of getting one or anyone willing to sell one they won't be using? I'm sure I can live with a row 2 brown or one of the colored ones if not.

You can't live with a row 2 brown let me tell you that :) (at least I never could) (at least not on an 60% or 75% or something similar)

The difference is huge

Offline FuriousGeorge

« Reply #565 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 15:46:47 »
This is my first set of SA so I'm not familiar with how the different profiles line up. Oh well, if I can't find one I'm sure the colored ones will look great. If not I can use a blank.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #566 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 15:55:38 »
This is my first set of SA so I'm not familiar with how the different profiles line up. Oh well, if I can't find one I'm sure the colored ones will look great. If not I can use a blank.

If it's that severe, I'm sure someone would be willing to sell his/hers, I also think there could be some extras at that point, based on what I gathered from conversations

Offline temporal

• gear for the gear god
« Reply #567 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 16:17:55 »

You can have mine!

I got the Alternate Functions for the yellow functions and gray nav/control clusters.

Which sets did you buy? I'd love to nab something in burgundy for an accent (True Retro here) or a blank.

Very badly would like a R3 control if anyone is feeling super generous, I'll have plenty of extras from the Lime and Alt Funcs to trade.

Offline FuriousGeorge

« Reply #568 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 16:22:14 »
No, it's definitely not important. I was thinking of doing a 60% board all brown just because it feels right but it's not a big deal. I'm good with with the green one if I can't pick up any extras.

Offline FuriousGeorge

« Reply #569 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 16:30:28 »

You can have mine!

I got the Alternate Functions for the yellow functions and gray nav/control clusters.

Which sets did you buy? I'd love to nab something in burgundy for an accent (True Retro here) or a blank.

Very badly would like a R3 control if anyone is feeling super generous, I'll have plenty of extras from the Lime and Alt Funcs to trade.

Thanks for the offer! I didn't pick up any burgundy, unfortunately. Is the R3 control stepped or is there a centered one I'm not seeing? I don't have any use for the stepped one and I don't think I'd use a centered one. Will probably be using backspace from colemak and the regular shift lock on another board.

Offline temporal

• gear for the gear god
« Reply #570 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 16:50:09 »

Thanks for the offer! I didn't pick up any burgundy, unfortunately. Is the R3 control stepped or is there a centered one I'm not seeing? I don't have any use for the stepped one and I don't think I'd use a centered one. Will probably be using backspace from colemak and the regular shift lock on another board.

Think the only one is stepped. Brown esc for that would be awesome  :D

I'm also looking for the R4 1.25u shift lock, is there anything else you'd like?

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #571 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 16:52:19 »

I'm also looking for the R4 1.25u shift lock, is there anything else you'd like?

There is a R3 1.75 Control that's not in the sketches

Offline temporal

• gear for the gear god
« Reply #572 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 16:55:03 »

There is a R3 1.75 Control that's not in the sketches

Thanks, then I don't really need the stepped one

Still want the shift lock, though

Offline FuriousGeorge

« Reply #573 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 17:15:04 »

I won't be using mine at all so I'm good with trading for the esc if that works for you.

Offline temporal

• gear for the gear god
« Reply #574 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 18:14:41 »

I won't be using mine at all so I'm good with trading for the esc if that works for you.

Yep, works for me.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #575 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 11:44:00 »
I had 2 orders, one big one small, went with small, manually upgraded with paypal to the big one later on, however, on ctrlalt.io the small one is paid and the big one is unpaid

I'm afraid, when this set launches, I might receive the small order, import it, realise the issue, cry a bit, contact bunny, get the missing sets, re-import it, cry a bit more (this time joy)

I would like to make sure I got everything I ordered in the first shipment tho, is anyone else in a similar situation? (contacted bunny a while ago, contacted ctrlalt more recently, but no replies)

Offline pkircher

« Reply #576 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 13:03:24 »
just email him again, he probably did not spot it (+ he might be busy moving stuff for the new house)

i got 3 orders in ctrlalt + 1 additional order via paypal

.. just hope i get them all together without much hicups

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #577 on: Fri, 24 July 2015, 03:52:32 »
I'm pretty sure everything's fine with your order, anyway send him a PM, just in case.

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #578 on: Fri, 24 July 2015, 05:26:56 »
I had 2 orders, one big one small, went with small, manually upgraded with paypal to the big one later on, however, on ctrlalt.io the small one is paid and the big one is unpaid

I'm afraid, when this set launches, I might receive the small order, import it, realise the issue, cry a bit, contact bunny, get the missing sets, re-import it, cry a bit more (this time joy)

I would like to make sure I got everything I ordered in the first shipment tho, is anyone else in a similar situation? (contacted bunny a while ago, contacted ctrlalt more recently, but no replies)

i got your email, i have the changes noted and itll be sorted on the site as soon as i get to my new place

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #579 on: Fri, 24 July 2015, 05:54:45 »

i got your email, i have the changes noted and itll be sorted on the site as soon as i get to my new place

Thanks a lot for the update

In the meantime, I finally built a keyboard with the hack'd by geeks SA's - it's certainly a unique typing experience - a bit tiring after using DSA's for so long - probably because of the added height (I might also be tired as I've been working on the keyboard for 36 hours non-stop :)

I'm planning on using the True Retro recreationally with MX Green's - got some aluminium feet from tex as I'm still not sure whether I like sculptured SA's tilted or not

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #580 on: Fri, 24 July 2015, 12:25:28 »
This could only be a week away?!

I shiver with antici...

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #581 on: Fri, 24 July 2015, 12:26:10 »
pation.

Offline zenless

« Reply #582 on: Fri, 24 July 2015, 13:14:11 »
This could only be a week away?!

I shiver with antici...

You didn't even give anyone a chance ..

"SAY IT SAY IT SAY IT"

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #583 on: Fri, 24 July 2015, 16:28:58 »
Sorry, I was shivering so hard that I hit "Post".

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #584 on: Fri, 24 July 2015, 16:33:47 »

Reminded me of 'Rocky Horror Picture Show'

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #585 on: Sat, 25 July 2015, 00:12:02 »
(I might also be tired as I've been working on the keyboard for 36 hours non-stop :)

Holy... go to sleep, man!

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #586 on: Sat, 25 July 2015, 06:38:54 »
we should have pics shortly, as soon as i get them ill post them here

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #587 on: Sat, 25 July 2015, 06:41:33 »

such excite

Offline pkircher

« Reply #588 on: Sat, 25 July 2015, 07:06:37 »

awesome cant wait!

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #589 on: Sat, 25 July 2015, 11:50:02 »

I'm glad someone got this.

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet
« Reply #590 on: Sat, 25 July 2015, 20:24:48 »

Show Image

Seriously one of my favorite musicals of all time. Perhaps ever. Tim Curry  :-*

Cherry is love. Topre is life. ~raymogi

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #591 on: Sun, 26 July 2015, 14:00:42 »
I really wonder how these are going to turn out, I'm really overwhelmed by keyboard and keycap stuff lately, I guess I'm either going to retire with these or without these and only GMK's

The Hack'd By Geeks set provided a very unique typing experience, they were 10 times better than GMK's with costar stabs (costars have issues with GMK keycaps), but the profile and height was pretty challenging, ergonomically speaking, SA's are not too optimal for laidback typing, one has to lift his/her arms a bit to type :)

(The Shifts are another challenging aspect, I guess I might attempt such a layout if I decide to keep the Retro set: http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/d77777fbbed6a87b8690b53cacedee39)

I guess the photos are going to cast the decisive vote for me

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #592 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 08:25:08 »

Show Image

:high-five:

I am guessing not many millennials will get any reference that is further back than Spice World, mwahahahaha...jk

All joking aside, I am really looking forward to typing on fully sculpted SA (except for Shifts, :) ).

Offline zenless

« Reply #593 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 11:17:08 »

Show Image

:high-five:

I am guessing not many millennials will get any reference that is further back than Spice World, mwahahahaha...jk

All joking aside, I am really looking forward to typing on fully sculpted SA (except for Shifts, :) ).

I'd be sad if i knew the weekly show I used to go to no longer was a thing. Bored on a Saturday night? Go yell at the screen and eat some Denny's after!

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #594 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 16:33:44 »
Unfortunately I've been informed that production has been pushed by at least one week.

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #595 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 16:38:52 »
Unfortunately I've been informed that production has been pushed by at least one week.
Really???

:'(

Offline Cafeine

• GeekZone
« Reply #596 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 20:10:52 »
Well, I'm not expecting them until September I have to say :D  I still need a keyboard to go with my set too. Mahaha. :x 
Own : HHKB Type-S | Leopold FC660C (x2 - 1st Gen & 2014 silenced) | RealForce 87U TKL (55g uniform) | RF 23U | Minila Air MX Blue
Sold : RealForce 88UB 45g | Leopold FC660M (MX Clear) | Filco MJ2 TKL (MX Brown) |  KeyCool 84 (MX Black) | CodeKeyboard TKL (MX Clear)

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #597 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 20:21:51 »
Well, I'm not expecting them until September I have to say :D  I still need a keyboard to go with my set too. Mahaha. :x

+1

I need a special layout myself to utilise the 2u R4 shift, but I depleted all my energy lately, so I will either sell these at this point, or store them to be used in the future

Storing seems more logical, the True Retro is a keeper, I really wonder how True Retro is going to turn out

By the way, after trial, the only issue with the shifts is aesthetical and psychological, yet since I'm obsessed with proper sculpture, using the 2u Shift is the only option at this point (on the other hand, on a TKL, full-size, standard 60%, symmetry is not really an issue, so there is no need to worry - yet for non-standard layouts, one shift becomes 2.25R3 while the other one is 1.75R4 - it's hard to handle for me)

Offline filphil

« Reply #598 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 20:27:39 »
This is still up for sale.  I'll take a hit on the 4x blank sets and space bars.  You only pay for the rest($201) + Paypal fees. 

Putting my order up for sale at cost ($231) + paypal fees. I'd like a buyer from the US since that's the shipping method that is payed for.

Set includes:
Retro Burgundy
Pro Burgundy mods
Nunpad Burgundy
Alternate functions
4x blanks sets
Big spacebars

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #599 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 22:06:05 »
Only thing that would possibly cause me to come off my set would be a full set of Nuclear Data... :p