Author Topic: Mechanical Keyboard for Gaming  (Read 2095 times)

Offline Boozebeard

Mechanical Keyboard for Gaming
« on: Sun, 01 August 2010, 16:00:17 »
Hello,

I've always had dome keyboard and didn't even know there was any other type, until a few months ago. Since then I've been toying with the idea of getting a mechanical one, I always like to have the best, if I can afford it.

I've read a few things on these forums but I'm still pretty confused. Mainly it will be used for gaming. From what I've read this makes brown, black and red switched preferable? Brown seem the most common. I live in the UK so I would be wanting the standard European key layout, with the ISO enter key and smaller left shift; as this is what I'm used too and what I'd have to use at uni or on other peoples computers. I also like the idea of the tenkeyless design so I have more room for my very large mouse matt.

I would like to spend under £100.

Thanks

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 01 August 2010, 16:06:27 »
Well, the Keyboard Co in the UK will be stocking UK-layout Filcos in a few weeks.

If it's mainly for gaming, Brown switches would probably be the best choice.

Offline Boozebeard

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 01 August 2010, 16:07:29 »
I was thinking about blues until I read this thread

http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?t=10969

I think I will e-mail the keyboard co. and see exactly when they're getting them and if they will have any tenkeyless ones. The 105 key ones are £111 inc vat mind  and I don't know how much p&p is.
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 August 2010, 16:30:57 by Boozebeard »

Offline Zensuji

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 02 August 2010, 03:14:30 »
Quote from: ch_123;208246
Well, the Keyboard Co in the UK will be stocking UK-layout Filcos in a few weeks.

If it's mainly for gaming, Brown switches would probably be the best choice.

They've already go them in :D and great company BTW. Go for the browns....awesome for gaming.

Offline Boozebeard

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 02 August 2010, 07:03:22 »
Quote from: Zensuji;208351
They've already go them in :D and great company BTW. Go for the browns....awesome for gaming.

They don't have the browns in or tenkeyless. I emailed them and they said they will be getting some in end of august.

Offline J888www

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 02 August 2010, 07:19:47 »
Here's another answer to OP Quest_ion.

"I'm thinking this is a perfect gaming board."

Leave it with Blacks, modify to Browns, Reds, Blues, reprogramme layout, to the end of your desire.
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 August 2010, 07:22:42 by J888www »
Often outspoken, please forgive any cause for offense.
Thank you all in GH for reading.

Keyboards & Pointing Devices :-
[/FONT]One Too Many[/COLOR]

Offline Zensuji

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 02 August 2010, 07:51:18 »
Quote from: Boozebeard;208361
They don't have the browns in or tenkeyless. I emailed them and they said they will be getting some in end of august.

Ah yes sorry didnt read that. I'm UK and got US layout. I actually prefer the US layout for gaming. But dont have a problem going between the two.

Shipping over £100 is free BTW.
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 August 2010, 09:03:51 by Zensuji »

Offline Boozebeard

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 02 August 2010, 12:29:44 »
I don't like the big left shift on the American layout, it means that they move the \ key somewhere else and I find it a very useful key to bind things too.

Offline dfj

• Visit our irc: #geekhack on libera.chat!
Timings on a buckling spring F.
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 06 August 2010, 13:54:15 »
Quote from: Boozebeard;208243
Hello,

I've always had dome keyboard and didn't even know there was any other type, until a few months ago. Since then I've been toying with the idea of getting a mechanical one, I always like to have the best, if I can afford it.

Thanks

So - there's how fast the board _feels_, there's how fast you can make it go, and there's how fast it _can_ go.

A slow feeling board feels yucky, and if that feeling doesn't go away, then a new board is needed - the numbers be damned. It is, however, a personal thing.

So - I've been measuring a 1983 IBM Model F, terminal board, run through a custom USB converter. It doesn't get much slower than this - though some USB converters, apparently, do manage to really bugger it up.

Using Autohotkey, which is only giving 0.01 second resolution (10 ms), here are some samples for keyflicks (left hand, via thumb - numbers are similar for either hand when hitting space as well):
A2  01D         u    0.02    Ctrl              
A2  01D         d    0.39    Ctrl              
A2  01D         u    0.02    Ctrl              
A2  01D         d    0.36    Ctrl              
A2  01D         u    0.05    Ctrl              
A2  01D         d    0.34    Ctrl              
A2  01D         u    0.03    Ctrl              
A2  01D         d    0.33    Ctrl              
A2  01D         u    0.05    Ctrl              

... where I am hitting the key about three times a second, and the key looks to be staying down for what looks to be 20-50ms.

For reference, a frame at 60Hz, say on an LCD, is rendered every 16ms. Games will sample at this rate, or ideally somewhat more often - perhaps at 100Hz or better. (every 10Ms). Doing better than that on windows is possible, but tricky due to the timer architectures on windows, though. Games choose not to, generally - though not for coding effort. Introducing higher sampled timers can impact on whole system performance, and thus reduce visual frame-rate. :(

So - the minimum keystroke is in the area of 20ms, if you trust them numbers....

for a more reasonable test, here's me rapid firing on the control key with my right hand at about 25 Hz:
A3  11D         d    0.05    Right Ctrl        
A3  11D         u    0.02    Right Ctrl        
A3  11D         u    0.05    Right Ctrl        
A3  11D         d    0.03    Right Ctrl        
A3  11D         u    0.03    Right Ctrl        
A3  11D         u    0.06    Right Ctrl        
A3  11D         d    0.11    Right Ctrl        
A3  11D         u    0.02    Right Ctrl        

I can modify my firmware to get the numbers that the keyboard produces more precisely, though from what I remember of my last test, an F can physically get down to about 4-5ms duration of keypress. Is there any interest in this? I have a cherry brown I should be able run through the controller and generate numbers for comparison, as well.

Given that this allows a key to be pressed and released three times per rendered frame, I don't think the problem is the physical hysteresis of the mechanical switches. I'm guessing that the feel is not right for your style.

On an M or F, any time spent moving past the click and back up is dead-time for yer game. It takes a while for the hands to get used to it - and it won't clearly even happen at all if yer spine refused to be your friend. :)

I grew up on these things, and the arcade-style sprung contact switches... I have never been able to make the rubber domes work for me. Oh well.

more info and/or tests if there is interest,
dfj
Fave Switch manus: IBM, Topre, Matias, ...