Author Topic: Mac users - replacing "Windows" keys w/what?  (Read 3473 times)

Offline nathanscribe

Mac users - replacing "Windows" keys w/what?
« on: Sun, 29 August 2010, 16:23:11 »
I'm a PC and Mac user, just to keep the universe in balance, and having only recently grabbed my first IBM M keyboard, I somehow already find myself reading geekhack more often than I should... there's some great info on here.

Anyway.  I have the standard clear-bodied white-keyed Mac keyboard from around three years ago and never liked it.  I'm looking at various options for replacing it (but not with a new aluminium one).

My question isn't so much about which keyboard I should buy, but what to do with the Windows keys, depending.  I know Unicomp will ship with replacement Mac-style 'command' keycaps, but what about Cherry, etc?  I've not seen any official retailer (particularly here in the UK) listing anything of the sort.  I've seen Filco blanks, red Esc and coloured WASD, but no Mac keys.

I know it's possible to simply swap the CTRL/ALT keys around and remap the functions in OSX, but what do Mac users do for Windows/Command?  Sharp knife & tippex..?  Maybe not...
Conquering the world with BASIC since 1982

« Reply #1 on: Sun, 29 August 2010, 16:45:02 »
You're talking about key legends, right? I was confused for a bit.

I'd say, get one with the windows/apple/linux key marked with some abstract symbol. Or get one with blank keys. Or just don't look at the damned thing when you're typing!
Current collection: HHKB Pro 2 black on black, HHKB Pro 2 white/grey blank, [strike]Dell AT101W[/strike] (sold to SirClickAlot), 1992 Model M, Key Tronic Ergoforce KT 2001, BTC 5100 C. Dead boards: MS Natural Elite, MS Natural 4000.

Offline nathanscribe

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 29 August 2010, 18:28:39 »
Quote from: Superfluous Parentheses;217971
Or just don't look at the damned thing when you're typing!

:lol:

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 29 August 2010, 18:29:18 »
I think they just get used to it tbh... Unicomp are great in that they will offer the different keycaps, or even a Command keycap for the Caps lock position so that you can convert a 101-key to be Mac friendly.

Offline nathanscribe

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 30 August 2010, 05:39:41 »
That's just funny. :lol:

I'm currently leaning towards a G80-3000 and maybe the Das replacement mac keycaps... though by the time i've spent the money, it won't be far off a Unicomp (plus import costs).  I've got an old British Telecom keyboard that I now know from this site has the linear black Cherry switches - not bad but since getting the Model M for the PCs I've put it away.  I'm interested in the Unicomp space-saver more than the Customizer as I'm not keen on what I've seen of the metallic keys.  The Das Keyboard is probably a bit pricey for me and the gloss finish isn't to my taste, and the Filco is probably the only other contender I'm aware of that would be easily obtainable in the UK.  The Cherry is cheaper though.

I suppose it's possible to get keys for Cherry switches that have those interchangable clear tops..?  Any idea where they're available in this part of the world?

The only other issue I can think of is setting up a keyboard map to give me punctuation and other chars that correspond to what's on the keys... I expect that's relatively painless but need to look into it.

Sorry for sounding like a newbie, but I am.  I just want to type on something that doesn't feel like there's a plate of overcooked peas under it.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 30 August 2010, 05:52:18 »
Unicomp will make a UK layout keyboard upon request.

The metallic grey keys actually don't look as bad IRL as they do on some pics on the net (their website probably does more to put people off their stuff than it does to get people to buy it :P) They're still pretty ugly, but you do get something that lasts, and not just smudge off after a few months like with the Filco/Das or whatever.

Offline nathanscribe

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 31 August 2010, 06:51:04 »
Actually I like the beige space-saver.  Looking at my space again, I don't think a larger keyboard would leave me any mouse room, and I use the number pad too often to want to lose it.

I'm now thinking the Unicomp space-saver with alternative key set might be the best way to go, despite the extra expense of shipping/customs etc.

Before finding this site, I had no idea there was so much to choosing a decent keyboard... good job I have the capacity to get geeky about these things. :smile:

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 02 September 2010, 12:07:37 »
My take on this:

Just don't pay attention to the key. It's not like you stare at the key while you are typing.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 02 September 2010, 12:13:21 »
I would recommend framing and hanging a huge picture of the Microsoft Windows logo on your wall.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline KillerBee

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 02 September 2010, 22:14:23 »
whats a windows key? i have never had one?
IBM Model M 1386304 Nov. 1985

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 03 September 2010, 00:31:50 »
I have used many "PC" keyboards without wins keys on Mac's without issue.  I simply remap caps lock to Ctrl and the other Ctrl keys to Command.  

So, maybe an older layout 'board would be more to your liking?