Author Topic: Future plans - The destruction of oneself  (Read 6708 times)

Offline Ekaros

Future plans - The destruction of oneself
« on: Sun, 12 September 2010, 12:46:48 »
So, I can now see already how I will be destroyed by keyboards. Only thing which saves me currently from utter distruction is my lack of money...

First it started slowly with rising intrest in these succumbing beasts, then I gave my little finger in form of Filco's 105-keyer even not caring for it expensiveness...

And now I can see the road ahead me clear and well... First I have to collect the Steelseries 6Gv2 and new Razer BlackWidow hopefully as used. Then follow the legendary Ms or their remakes with reqular and quiet buckling spring. After that it onwards to praised Topre Realforce despite it semi-ruberdomeness... And then to tenkeyless, after that I will start the search for rare beast of alps and others. A few Otaku's blank keycaps will follow on separate occasions on this road...

So, dear geekhack can you extoricate this madness from me or will I ever be it's slave?

You can share your visions of future, or stories of past here too...
So I should add something useless here yes? Ok, ok...
Filco 105-key NKRO MX Browns Sw/Fi-layout|IBM Model M 1394545 Lexmark 102-key Finnish-layout 1994-03-22|Cherry G80-3000LQCDE-2 with MX CLEAR
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dell AT102W(105-key SF) (Black ALPS)|Steelseries Steelkeys 6G(MX Black) ISO-FI-layout|Cherry G84-4400 G84-4700 Cherry MLs

Offline WhiteRice

« Reply #1 on: Sun, 12 September 2010, 13:12:37 »
While I do feel the need too keep or acquire certain keyboards.

Keyboards are most happy when they are being typed on. If you end up with too many you won't be able enjoy all of them. So I sell them.

This keeps my keyboard fund liquid and I feel it helps others who will actually use them. :)

Offline WhiteRice

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 12 September 2010, 13:31:04 »
I can definitely see your train of thought. I was ' ' this close to buying another minitouch off of ebay.

Offline Ekaros

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 12 September 2010, 14:24:17 »
And now you gave me the idea of backups...
Filco 105-key NKRO MX Browns Sw/Fi-layout|IBM Model M 1394545 Lexmark 102-key Finnish-layout 1994-03-22|Cherry G80-3000LQCDE-2 with MX CLEAR
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dell AT102W(105-key SF) (Black ALPS)|Steelseries Steelkeys 6G(MX Black) ISO-FI-layout|Cherry G84-4400 G84-4700 Cherry MLs

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 12 September 2010, 14:32:30 »
Quote from: Ekaros;222420
So, I can now see already how I will be destroyed by keyboards.

yes, they will destroy you.

Only thing which saves me currently from utter distruction is my lack of money...

that wont save you either: credit cards!

So, dear geekhack can you extoricate this madness from me or will I ever be it's slave?

forever slave. abandon hope.

You can share your visions of future, or stories of past here too...

i'm not even buying keyboards any more and I still cant leave. what chance do you have?  Its like hotel california. (or roach motel).

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline jpc

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 12 September 2010, 14:33:17 »
You only need three boards. One for home, one for work, and one backup.

Unless you like more than one type of switch, in that case, multiply 3 by the number of switches you like. :)

RSI prevention recipe:[/B] Kinesis Contoured, Colemak layout, touch typing, Contour Design Rollermouse,  Logitech TrackMan Wheel, Logitech m570 trackball, "workrave" break timer software, "awesome" window manager, tenkeyless boards, cherry browns, Wang 724 with "ghetto green" ALPS, standing desk and/or comfy adjustable chairs, stress reduction, computer time reduction.

Fun non-ergonomic things: bolt modded Model M Space Saving Keyboards with new springs, Kensington Expert Mouse v7, Unicomp Endurapro, Northgates

Offline Senor_Cartmenez

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 12 September 2010, 16:21:39 »
I hope I can avoid buying a second one for work when I get my Deck...

I don't even want to get started with this shi*... But I fear I will ;)

Offline shrap

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 12 September 2010, 19:59:58 »
Variety is kind of fun, but usually there's one keyboard that you'll like and use the most often. Just sell all the rest and buy duplicates of your best board.

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 12 September 2010, 20:18:32 »
Quote from: Senor_Cartmenez;222513
I hope I can avoid buying a second one for work when I get my Deck...

I don't even want to get started with this shi*... But I fear I will ;)

I say it's not worth it to get an expensive keyboard for work...at least at home you know it's safe. Keytronic is my favorite option for work; cheap rubber dome yet one of the best feeling keyboards.

Offline washuai

• http://home.earthlink.net/~haruai/
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 13 September 2010, 02:48:16 »
Well, I spend more time on a computer at work, than at home, so the logic not to get an expensive board at work falls through there for me.  I have the Cherry 8200 & Compaq MX11800, because I was trying to be cheap.  I've got a locking file cabinet and I intend to use it.  I realize that the cabinet is probably easy to pick and I believe most thefts at  my work are during working hours.  Consequently, if it is going to get stolen, then it probably will. More expensive things than my notebook get protected the same way and haven't disappeared.  More importantly most people haven't got a clue about expensive keyboards.  They'd probably be more likely to steal something backlit or with LCDs.  People are much more likely to steal something that would hold money or electronics that isn't tied down.  I think aside from food, the most commonly stolen item is laptops from work, but I could be wrong.
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 September 2010, 02:52:34 by washuai »
⌨(home)Realforce 87U ⌨(backup) Filco Majestouch 104 Brown ⌨(backup)Cherry G80-8200LPDUS ⌨(work)Leopold FC200RT/AB
☛CST L-Trac-X ☛Logitech Wireless Optical Trackman ☛ Razer 3500 dpi ☛MS Explorer DeathAdder

Lay-a-bouts:  ⌨Full 109 Key Virtually Indestructable  Keyboard ⌨Compaq Radio Quack GYUR84SK
Wishlist: ⌨KBDmania Pure ⌨Déck 82 ice/frost/toxic/royal ⌨Ricercar spos G86-62410EUAGSA ☠ ✞⌨miniGuru(s) ☠
 ✐Intuos or Cintiq

Offline Ekaros

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 13 September 2010, 03:02:10 »
Quote from: washuai;222631
Well, I spend more time on a computer at work, than at home, so the logic not to get an expensive board at work falls through there for me.  I have the Cherry 8200 & Compaq MX11800, because I was trying to be cheap.  I've got a locking file cabinet and I intend to use it.  I realize that the cabinet is probably easy to pick and I believe most thefts at  my work are during working hours.  Consequently, if it is going to get stolen, then it probably will. More expensive things than my notebook get protected the same way and haven't disappeared.  More importantly most people haven't got a clue about expensive keyboards.  They'd probably be more likely to steal something backlit or with LCDs.  People are much more likely to steal something that would hold money or electronics that isn't tied down.  I think aside from food, the most commonly stolen item is laptops from work, but I could be wrong.

I wouldn't fear someone stealing keyboard apart from yeallouse co-workers... I think real thieves would concentrate more on LCDs and laptops. Keyboards are harder to resale and have smaller market than other perephilials.

Any mechanicals which you can lock in at desk? ;D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline jpc

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 13 September 2010, 06:07:18 »
Nobody's going to steal a quarter century old IBM keyboard. Look at that obsolete thing, it doesn't have windows keys or even a numpad!

RSI prevention recipe:[/B] Kinesis Contoured, Colemak layout, touch typing, Contour Design Rollermouse,  Logitech TrackMan Wheel, Logitech m570 trackball, "workrave" break timer software, "awesome" window manager, tenkeyless boards, cherry browns, Wang 724 with "ghetto green" ALPS, standing desk and/or comfy adjustable chairs, stress reduction, computer time reduction.

Fun non-ergonomic things: bolt modded Model M Space Saving Keyboards with new springs, Kensington Expert Mouse v7, Unicomp Endurapro, Northgates

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 13 September 2010, 06:10:19 »
Good. That means nobody will steal any of my computers.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Ekaros

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 13 September 2010, 06:46:16 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;222645
Good. That means nobody will steal any of my computers.

I wouldn't be afraid of stealing... But they might be thrown out as trash, it might have very very high probability with ones you use ;D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Senor_Cartmenez

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 13 September 2010, 08:37:46 »
I dont think people would steal them. They would probably be pissed off by the sound of your typing.

Of course if you explained to them what the whole shabang is about and let them try, they may want to steal it but until then ...

Honestly, I mean even the IT guys in my company I spoke to had no idea about mechanical keyboards. When I suggested it may be useful to buy some for the company as they basically last forever and mentioned the 40-50€ for a basic Cherry mech, they gave me that "you gotta be ****ting me"-look.

Now imagine if u connect a 20 year old Model-M to your PC. No matter how clean you make it, people will still notice it's old (e.g. missing windows key and such) and you will probably only earn pitty for being so nostalgic/stupid as to not want one of those wonderfull new logitechs everyone else has...

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 13 September 2010, 16:53:20 »
Quote from: Ekaros;222656
I wouldn't be afraid of stealing... But they might be thrown out as trash, it might have very very high probability with ones you use ;D

I wish those folks good luck throwing out my 75-lb monitor.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Rusty Rat

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 13 September 2010, 17:43:21 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;222890
I wish those folks good luck throwing out my 75-lb monitor.

I will collect if for free. I am in serious need of a new drag weight anchor for my boat.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 13 September 2010, 17:46:02 »
Oh no... You ain't touching my 21" Trinitron monitor.

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 13 September 2010, 18:05:14 »
Quote from: Senor_Cartmenez;222677
I dont think people would steal them. They would probably be pissed off by the sound of your typing.

Not necc., but I'd still be concerned about anything happening; another co-worker could spill something if they were working with you, etc. (at least at home it's easier to keep them safe).

Offline jpc

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 13 September 2010, 19:45:19 »
A coworker could spill on a work keyboard. True. That's a risk.

Sometimes it's better to use a keyboard than preserve it. It's just a keyboard.

Writing your name on it could deter the IT guy at work from upgrading you to Logitech.

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 13 September 2010, 19:56:19 »
Quote from: jpc;222961
A coworker could spill on a work keyboard. True. That's a risk.

Sometimes it's better to use a keyboard than preserve it. It's just a keyboard.

Writing your name on it could deter the IT guy at work from upgrading you to Logitech.

True, it's just a keyboard...unless it's a Topre... :D

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 13 September 2010, 19:58:08 »
You could always post a warning on your keyboard such as:

"I bought this with my own money; don't touch it."

Offline Senor_Cartmenez

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 14 September 2010, 03:14:22 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;222973
You could always post a warning on your keyboard such as:

"I bought this with my own money; don't touch it."

Tried that with some rather expensive books about Excel and VBA programming that I bought from my own money and lost the receipt.

Haven't seen them since, must be at some colleagues desk, just hope my babies are alright *sniff*

Offline washuai

• http://home.earthlink.net/~haruai/
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 14 September 2010, 13:42:04 »
Well, people sit in my chair upon occasion, but my workstation is my own, so the odds of anyone besides me spilling are few.  If you have white/beige/grey keyboards, your keyboard at work is probably safer, than if it is black with attractive lines.

I figure my Realforce will have the following going for it not being stolen:
As stated, the laptops and LCDs are more attractive steals.
Most people who've just pressed the key on a mechanical, without typing, just don't get it.
Topres, like browns will probably still be too subtle a difference for them to get it.
The stealth legend look may be popular on geekhack, but most people take a glance at what are or what appear to be blank keys and comment "OMG, how do you type on that?"
Even if I've explained my keyboard to my coworkers and they've indexed poked at it like some kind seaweed that washed up on the beach, they still don't think there's much difference.  I'll just leave them to their Dell drudgery.

Honestly, one of the reasons I want the Topre, which I get some time today ^_^, rather my browns in the office, is because the Topre will be quieter (my obsessions, not my coworkers) and better survive a spill.
⌨(home)Realforce 87U ⌨(backup) Filco Majestouch 104 Brown ⌨(backup)Cherry G80-8200LPDUS ⌨(work)Leopold FC200RT/AB
☛CST L-Trac-X ☛Logitech Wireless Optical Trackman ☛ Razer 3500 dpi ☛MS Explorer DeathAdder

Lay-a-bouts:  ⌨Full 109 Key Virtually Indestructable  Keyboard ⌨Compaq Radio Quack GYUR84SK
Wishlist: ⌨KBDmania Pure ⌨Déck 82 ice/frost/toxic/royal ⌨Ricercar spos G86-62410EUAGSA ☠ ✞⌨miniGuru(s) ☠
 ✐Intuos or Cintiq

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 14 September 2010, 13:50:57 »
I leave my Realforce on my desk.  It's a pretty dull keyboard and doesn't attract a whole lot of attention. I left my HHKB, my Filcos and my Cherrys on my desk, too. People really don't care about keyboards much.

Offline Voixdelion

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 14 September 2010, 14:33:58 »
Should be a sign on the registration page: "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here."  And if I had known what would happen to me, I would have ordered one or  two of those GH keycaps from Clickclack.  I was new, and though I  anticipated being geeky enough to want one of those,  I didn't  anticipate that I would  have the appropriate keyswitch to cap with with  it since my focus at the time was the joy of reuniting with Model M.    Boy, do I have the inventory now!

What I wonder is, are there folks who can be geeky enough to say, register for an account to ask a ridiculously geeky question or two or who have the type of personality to be investigating whatever of interest it was that brought them here to begin with who DON'T get sucked in?  Like they have some obsessively mad attention to detail about one passing thing and that's it?  I have difficulty imagining the type of person that would have the frame of mind to participate in a group like this in the first place,  but then not find reason to stick around.  I suppose I may never know this since that type of person is probably not around here to answer.  

Although I stick around now more cuz I like the company and conversation than for the peripheral info since my keyboard curiosity has been sated.  Kind of like a brief hot and torrid love affair between otherwise sensible people who recognize that they would be better friends than lovers.  And I think the post about getting the one you like and then backing it up is spot on, as I am thinking of trading or selling my extra model F in favor of another of these Blue MX boards or maybe a filco.   I think I do need to have more than one since I would indeed be blue without my blues.  I should be thankful that the Topre doesn't call to me with that siren song  the way the Cherry Blue switches do.  I wouldn't want to entertain the notion of hoarding those!
"The more you tolerate each other, the less enforcement will happen."-iMav

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 14 September 2010, 14:38:26 »
Quote from: Voixdelion;223258
I am thinking of trading or selling my extra model F in favor of another of these Blue MX boards or maybe a filco.

Model F AT? I'd trade a Scorpius M10 for a Model F AT.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 14 September 2010, 14:38:26 »
Quote from: itlnstln;223249
I leave my Realforce on my desk.  It's a pretty dull keyboard and doesn't attract a whole lot of attention. I left my HHKB, my Filcos and my Cherrys on my desk, too. People really don't care about keyboards much.

I guess it depends where you work...I work with some folks who definitely appreciate a good keyboard.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 14 September 2010, 14:40:55 »
I work with folks that appreciate a good waterfall chart.  I can't stand waterfall charts.

Offline Voixdelion

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 14 September 2010, 14:44:34 »
wtf is a waterfall chart?

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 14 September 2010, 14:45:32 »
Here's an awesome flow chart, more fun than a waterfall chart.

IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 14 September 2010, 14:46:46 »
Another

Offline Voixdelion

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 14 September 2010, 14:54:37 »
Never played D&D but definitely on the fence about the technical accuracy of the diagram as there is not a clear indicator of current direction in the "flow".  I think this be a better example of an "eddy" chart.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 14 September 2010, 15:01:50 »
This is kind of a kooky one, but you'll get the point.  When I see these used, most of the time, they would have been better represented with a pie chart (the one below is an exception).  They are used to show components of a total just like a pie chart.  Unlike a pie chart, they can also show "negative" contribution (like the one below), and that is where they are best used.  I find them confusing to the average reader on a good day, thus I try to find other, more intuitive ways to show these relationships.  People think they look cool, though.

Pic courtesy of PeltierTech
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 September 2010, 15:09:50 by itlnstln »

Offline Voixdelion

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 14 September 2010, 15:40:27 »
I think I almost get it.  But the "negative contribution" thing kind a threw me.  What would that same info look like on a pie chart for comparison purpose? (even as it would stand without showing that "negative contribution" info so that I might more intuitively understand how the first is a better implementation?)

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 14 September 2010, 16:25:32 »

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 15 September 2010, 07:43:40 »
Quote from: Voixdelion;223295
I think I almost get it.  But the "negative contribution" thing kind a threw me.  What would that same info look like on a pie chart for comparison purpose? (even as it would stand without showing that "negative contribution" info so that I might more intuitively understand how the first is a better implementation?)

Pie charts don't/can't show the red bars on the example chart above.  (I'm sure you probably figured this out, but...) The green bars would be the slices of pie as part of the far right blue bar; however, this would be more than the total, because a pie chart cannot show the red lines which are negative quantities.  As you follow the chart from left to right, the far left blue bar is a (optional) "starting point" and the green and red bars show how much of the x-axis impacts/contributes to the final result which is the far right blue bar.  The fact that this explanation had to be written demonstrates why I feel waterfalls are unintuitive and, thus, inherently poor charts.  IMO, if you can't just look at the chart and instantly "get" the message, it doesn't work.

Offline Voixdelion

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 15 September 2010, 23:24:11 »
Quote from: itlnstln;223548
Pie charts don't/can't show the red bars on the example chart above.  (I'm sure you probably figured this out, but...) The green bars would be the slices of pie as part of the far right blue bar; however, this would be more than the total, because a pie chart cannot show the red lines which are negative quantities.  As you follow the chart from left to right, the far left blue bar is a (optional) "starting point" and the green and red bars show how much of the x-axis impacts/contributes to the final result which is the far right blue bar.  The fact that this explanation had to be written demonstrates why I feel waterfalls are unintuitive and, thus, inherently poor charts.  IMO, if you can't just look at the chart and instantly "get" the message, it doesn't work.

Ah-haaaaah, okay - makes sense now.  True that a charts purpose is to summarize concisely or demonstrate something more efficiently,  and you are right that it isn't wholly self-explanatory, but isn't an entire fail.  It does require an explanation at least once as I had not ever heard of this kind of chart, but now that I get the concept I can see how it does give a picture of the information at a glance.   Even if it isn't intuitively obvious it isn't completely counter-intuitive either.   Not great, but better than nothing for what it does, I suppose.    

Thanks though.  Learn something new every day... Especially hanging around this forum.