Author Topic: Is it a AT or XT IBM Model F ?  (Read 1927 times)

Offline Sylvain

Is it a AT or XT IBM Model F ?
« on: Sun, 12 September 2010, 16:17:46 »
Hi guys,

First of all, thanks from France to the geekhack community for all the infos we can find here, it's a real gold mine ! I have just been hit lately by the the mechanical keyboards virus, and geekhack is not innocent in this ! Like some other said, this forum is EVIL !

So, I just found someone who sells a Model F, but i'm not 100% sure if it's a AT or XT connector.

I suppose it's an XT connector cause on www.clickykeyboards.com they have two Model F with the Part N° 1501100 which are XT, I guess the "1" at the end of the Part N° on this one is for the AZERTY layout.

Can someone tell me with certitude that it's a XT connector ? Because I don't know if it's worth to buy it if I can't use it on my PC.

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #1 on: Sun, 12 September 2010, 16:20:57 »
It's XT.  The AT and XT use the same connector which is a 5 pin DIN.  You won't be able to use that keyboard on a modern PC without some serious work or a protocol translator which is not commonly available.

Welcome to Geek Hack!
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline Sylvain

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 14 September 2010, 07:29:20 »
Quote from: didjamatic;222512
It's XT.  The AT and XT use the same connector which is a 5 pin DIN.  You won't be able to use that keyboard on a modern PC without some serious work or a protocol translator which is not commonly available.

Thanks for the info didjamatic, I think I will not buy this keyboard or try to get it at a very low price just to feel the difference with the Model M.

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 14 September 2010, 08:55:56 »
Hold out for an AT model F.  They have a much better layout and are usable on modern systems.  They are more money, but are a great keyboard and worth it IMO.  You don't feel the difference very well if the keyboard isn't usable because you don't see text register as you type.
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline Sylvain

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 14 September 2010, 09:15:19 »
Quote from: didjamatic;223130
Hold out for an AT model F.  They have a much better layout and are usable on modern systems.  They are more money, but are a great keyboard and worth it IMO.  You don't feel the difference very well if the keyboard isn't usable because you don't see text register as you type.

I guess you're right, and as I don't particulary want to start a collection of unusable keyboards I will wait until an AT shows up. Thank you for bringing me back to reason.