Author Topic: Starting to regret my 55g  (Read 9272 times)

Offline ironman31

Starting to regret my 55g
« on: Tue, 14 September 2010, 19:18:43 »
The more I've been typing on it, the more I feel that it is too heavy for me. I know model M's are heavier, but there's something about them where I don't mind the weight as much.

As for the Topre, I don't think I can go much longer regretting a 250 dollar purchase. I'm wondering if I should just act swiftly and get a variable weight new and sell my current one, or trade for a variable weight.

My decision was reinforced today when I found out that some keyboards at school were variable weight Key Tronics. I looked at a previous post by ripster and saw that the key weighting was very similar to that of the variable Realforce.

Can anyone back that up? Because if the difference between the pinkie and normal keys is of the same as the Key Tronic, then I really wouldn't mind getting a variable Realforce.
Keyboards:
IBM Model M Space Saving Keyboard (Used), HHKB Pro 2 (White, Lettered), Realforce 87U all-45g in White, Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with Cherry MX Browns, Model F PC/ATNoppoo Choc Mini (MX Browns), Model F XT, IBM Model M 1397735 (bought NIB), (2) Siig Minitouch (GHSS) one with XM, one with complicated ALPs (modded),2 Dell AT101W, Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (modded with MX browns)

Pointing Devices:
Logitech G500, Evoluent VerticalMouse 3, Logitech G5, CST 2545W, Microsoft IntelliMouse Trackball, Logitech M570, Logitech MX revolution

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 14 September 2010, 19:25:33 »
Quote from: ironman31;223402
The more I've been typing on it, the more I feel that it is too heavy for me. I know model M's are heavier, but there's something about them where I don't mind the weight as much.

As for the Topre, I don't think I can go much longer regretting a 250 dollar purchase. I'm wondering if I should just act swiftly and get a variable weight new and sell my current one, or trade for a variable weight.

My decision was reinforced today when I found out that some keyboards at school were variable weight Key Tronics. I looked at a previous post by ripster and saw that the key weighting was very similar to that of the variable Realforce.

Can anyone back that up? Because if the difference between the pinkie and normal keys is of the same as the Key Tronic, then I really wouldn't mind getting a variable Realforce.

Last I looked at the two layouts, they are very dissimilar.

Here's the Keytronic layout:

And you can see the Realforce layout here (it's an 87u but it's the same weighting).

Offline ironman31

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 14 September 2010, 19:29:46 »
What I was really talking about was just the alphanumeric keys. The ring fingers are just the same as the middle ones on the Realforce. I dont mind too much about the other keys.
One of the reasons I bought the 55g in the first place was because I was worrying about how light the 35g would be. And when I used the keytronic today it didn't seem too bad.
Keyboards:
IBM Model M Space Saving Keyboard (Used), HHKB Pro 2 (White, Lettered), Realforce 87U all-45g in White, Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with Cherry MX Browns, Model F PC/ATNoppoo Choc Mini (MX Browns), Model F XT, IBM Model M 1397735 (bought NIB), (2) Siig Minitouch (GHSS) one with XM, one with complicated ALPs (modded),2 Dell AT101W, Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (modded with MX browns)

Pointing Devices:
Logitech G500, Evoluent VerticalMouse 3, Logitech G5, CST 2545W, Microsoft IntelliMouse Trackball, Logitech M570, Logitech MX revolution

Offline ironman31

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 14 September 2010, 19:31:29 »
Quote from: ripster;223411
No, the Keytronics numbers ended up being made up.

Keyboard Manufacturer Specs
Show Image

Measurements by another Geekhacker

The one I tried out today (at least the pinkie keys) was definitely less than 55g, I noticed it immediately when I rested my fingers on it.
Keyboards:

Pointing Devices:

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 14 September 2010, 19:32:49 »
Quote from: ripster;223411
No, the Keytronics numbers ended up being made up.
Measurements by another Geekhacker

That can't be right...that's much heavier than my Topre and it feels lighter than my Topre in real life. To me, the way it feels is more similar to what they said. Plus I don't trust those head shop scales. :D

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 14 September 2010, 19:38:29 »
Well, whatever it is I think if the 55g is definitely too heavy then a variable is the right way to go. The white ones are still quite good deals at the moment.

Offline ironman31

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 14 September 2010, 19:39:30 »
Are the only all 45g keyboards from Realforce in a Japanese layout?
Keyboards:

Pointing Devices:

Offline ironman31

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 14 September 2010, 20:02:31 »
I just have to figure a good price for this board. I'll be taking a good hit, since the 55g on elitekeyboards is on sale.
Keyboards:

Pointing Devices:

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 14 September 2010, 20:06:18 »
Quote from: ironman31;223428
I just have to figure a good price for this board. I'll be taking a good hit, since the 55g on elitekeyboards is on sale.

I'm fighting the temptation...since I know this will be a good deal. I don't want to say for sure that I'm interested but I might be.

Offline ironman31

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 14 September 2010, 20:10:13 »
I'm going to have to give it some thought. I calculated some stuff, and I'll be losing around 100 USD in this ordeal.
I also have a good friend who might be interested in it. I'll keep you updated though.

edit: nevermind, did my math wrong. will be about 50.... and I'm going to call myself a computer engineer...
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 September 2010, 20:18:18 by ironman31 »
Keyboards:

Pointing Devices:

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 14 September 2010, 20:12:36 »
Quote from: ironman31;223437
I'm going to have to give it some thought. I calculated some stuff, and I'll be losing around 100 USD in this ordeal.
I also have a good friend who might be interested in it. I'll keep you updated though.

Type on it as much as possible too. Make sure that you're really sure. I prefer mine to everything else I've tried (although I haven't tried a variable Realforce). And if your friend wants it, go with them first :D

Offline ironman31

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 14 September 2010, 20:14:51 »
Never mind. When i told him about how much it would be he quickly refused, lol.
Keyboards:

Pointing Devices:

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 14 September 2010, 20:15:27 »

thats the thing. I think thats true too. this is one of my criticisms of the 'nickel method' of comparing key weights. it cant capture the dynamics and often dynamics are what makes the real difference in key feel.

(that said its useful to use as a ballpark. it just doesnt tell you the whole picture thats all)

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 14 September 2010, 20:17:36 »
fwiw, there was a long thread not long ago where a bunch of folks (myself included) argued that the keytronics vary-weight was 90% as good as a topre for 1/100th the price.

and dont get me wrong, i think topres are fabulous. they're not for me but yea they're fab if they work for you. I went back to admiring BS and Fukkas though.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
    • http://kiibohd.com
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 14 September 2010, 20:19:45 »
I personally hate the variable force keyboards (I've tried the Keytronics and Topre ones, as well as a few Fujitsus with variable weighted keys).
Not really a gamer (the variable force would sorta mess up the WASD), a long time pianist though, so constant weight is what my fingers expect. As such I like both really heavy switches and really light ones.
Kiibohd

ALWAYS looking for cool and interesting switches
I take requests for making keyboard converters (i.e. *old keyboard* to USB).

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 14 September 2010, 20:20:36 »
Quote from: wellington1869;223441
thats the thing. I think thats true too. this is one of my criticisms of the 'nickel method' of comparing key weights. it cant capture the dynamics and often dynamics are what makes the real difference in key feel.

(that said its useful to use as a ballpark. it just doesnt tell you the whole picture thats all)

I agree with that.

Quote from: wellington1869
fwiw, there was a long thread not long ago where a bunch of folks (myself included) argued that the keytronics vary-weight was 90% as good as a topre for 1/100th the price.

I still love my Keytronic at work...it's great for programming and typing. I would have probably bought another one for home but I needed the 6-kro.
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 September 2010, 20:22:49 by keyboardlover »

Offline Arc'xer

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 14 September 2010, 20:21:58 »
Quote from: ironman31;223420
Are the only all 45g keyboards from Realforce in a Japanese layout?

I've actually been wanting a Topre and in particular a while back before deciding on the browns. What worried me is the all-55g and the see-saw reviews on it. I just don't like the multi-weighted or the entire idea behind it I should say.

And during posts I recall someone going so far as to say that it felt somewhat close to a mx black, at least in aspect of fatigue.

It's a shame Topre doesn't sell the mattes separately to swap them out. Nor desires to sell the 45 here, well the HHKB is all 45 but not everyone desires such an ultra-compact. Reminds me of that post that Topre tries to satisfy their customers with multi-weight and with lower weight uniforms like 30/35 and then with 55 but no one is happy with either. And yet completely skipped going uniform 45 like the browns, with the whole debate that the lighter 30/35 Topres aren't as crisp and snapping like some have mentioned.
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 September 2010, 20:24:48 by Arc'xer »

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 14 September 2010, 20:24:05 »
Quote from: Arc'xer;223445

It's a shame Topre doesn't sell the mattes separately to swap them out.

that would be a fantastic idea. it would be a piece of cake to swap mats out.

Offline Arc'xer

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 14 September 2010, 20:27:21 »
Quote from: wellington1869;223446
that would be a fantastic idea. it would be a piece of cake to swap mats out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IZfrv26cLE

Such an expensive option though with said video.

Offline majestouch

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http:///elitekeyboards.com
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 14 September 2010, 20:41:00 »
Hey ironman,

Topres hold their value very well; so I would suggest taking your time with it.

I use an all-55g regularly now on one system and for the first week it was really tiring and I was thinking it just wasn't going to work for my wimpy fingers (coming from 4 years of Cherry Browns). However, after 2 weeks my fingers manned up and it really became a joy to type on; it's just so snappy, yet silky smooth at the same time. The variable weight Topres feel wimpy to me now. Cherry Browns are still nice.

I think buckling springs have a little more lead-in distance before they snap, so your fingers can build up more momentum. The 55g Topres seem to have more resistance up top, much like an ALPS switch.

Offline ironman31

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 14 September 2010, 21:00:57 »
I could just buy the variable weight, then try them out side by side and sell the one I don't want...

And it would just kill me if no one would buy it. ( but I don't think it'll be too hard selling a Realforce)
Keyboards:

Pointing Devices:

Offline ironman31

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 14 September 2010, 21:02:50 »
so apparently it doesn't show new posts when I hit refresh... I've missed out on the last 20 minutes, lol

edit: i just don't think I saw the new page....
Keyboards:

Pointing Devices:

Offline washuai

• http://home.earthlink.net/~haruai/
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 14 September 2010, 22:44:48 »
It has only been one day, but my concerns over the 87Us variable weighting are gone.  I am only using that board at work, currently, so I won't be able to speak to it for gaming.
Besides being black, coming in low noise, uniform 45g was one draw of the 91UBK-S to me.  If you've given the 55g a good thirty day work out and it still just doesn't float, then its ok that its time to get a weighting more attuned to your needs.
⌨(home)Realforce 87U ⌨(backup) Filco Majestouch 104 Brown ⌨(backup)Cherry G80-8200LPDUS ⌨(work)Leopold FC200RT/AB
☛CST L-Trac-X ☛Logitech Wireless Optical Trackman ☛ Razer 3500 dpi ☛MS Explorer DeathAdder

Lay-a-bouts:  ⌨Full 109 Key Virtually Indestructable  Keyboard ⌨Compaq Radio Quack GYUR84SK
Wishlist: ⌨KBDmania Pure ⌨Déck 82 ice/frost/toxic/royal ⌨Ricercar spos G86-62410EUAGSA ☠ ✞⌨miniGuru(s) ☠
 ✐Intuos or Cintiq

Offline panda-R

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 14 September 2010, 22:45:40 »
i'm interested if you are still considering letting it go :)
DO YOU FEEL THE BEAT? I DO.
One Keyboard to DOOM them all, REALFORCE.

Offline washuai

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 14 September 2010, 22:52:04 »
Huggle your special on sale limited realforce, until they are sold out, then at least you know it can go quick for full price, lol.
⌨(home)Realforce 87U ⌨(backup) Filco Majestouch 104 Brown ⌨(backup)Cherry G80-8200LPDUS ⌨(work)Leopold FC200RT/AB
☛CST L-Trac-X ☛Logitech Wireless Optical Trackman ☛ Razer 3500 dpi ☛MS Explorer DeathAdder

Lay-a-bouts:  ⌨Full 109 Key Virtually Indestructable  Keyboard ⌨Compaq Radio Quack GYUR84SK
Wishlist: ⌨KBDmania Pure ⌨Déck 82 ice/frost/toxic/royal ⌨Ricercar spos G86-62410EUAGSA ☠ ✞⌨miniGuru(s) ☠
 ✐Intuos or Cintiq

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 14 September 2010, 23:04:06 »
Quote from: ripster;223463

I remember that thread.  However I find the "90% of a Topre" argument less persuasive after you sold the Keytronics.

I also sold my topre. And that was 100% a topre. :)

here's my original comparison of the two.  YMMV of course.
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 September 2010, 00:03:59 by wellington1869 »

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 15 September 2010, 09:16:11 »
Noticed something weird with my 55g the other day - the scroll lock button led doesn't work. I guess it's not a big deal since I never use that button...so I'm wondering if it's worth sending back to get repaired. What do you guys think?

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 15 September 2010, 09:41:10 »
Quote from: ripster;223570
You're not on Ubuntu by any chance? Known bug.

I am...that explains it. Thanks!

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 15 September 2010, 09:44:35 »
In fact, any Linux distro ignores it. I think it's because it's used for something else, like stopping the flow of output on a console window. I forget the specifics though.

Offline panda-R

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 15 September 2010, 14:47:15 »
What does scrolllock do and where can i find it?
DO YOU FEEL THE BEAT? I DO.
One Keyboard to DOOM them all, REALFORCE.

Offline washuai

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 15 September 2010, 19:10:17 »
Ok, I'll fall for [strike]half of[/strike] that.  Scroll lock on a standard keyboard is between print screen and pause break.  

[strike]I've never used scroll lock and I don't feel like googling, so I don't know or care what it does.[/strike]  It will turn on an LED, on many boards, when active.
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 September 2010, 19:18:27 by washuai »

✐Intuos or Cintiq

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 15 September 2010, 19:33:51 »
It is a nice toggle key for autohotkey scripts, since the LED tells you when your script is running.

Home: Topre Realforce 87W45  /  Mionix Naos 3200
Work: Topre Realforce 87B  /  Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0

Offline vicz

Scroll lock
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 15 September 2010, 20:43:00 »
I use the Scroll Lock key several times a day. At work, I share one keyboard and one mouse between two computers (each has its separate screen, though), with a KVM switch. The Scroll Lock key, pushed twice quickly,  is used to toggle between the two computers.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 16 September 2010, 00:17:35 »
Quote from: Daniel Beaver;223774
It is a nice toggle key for autohotkey scripts, since the LED tells you when your script is running.

thats actually a great idea! The LED as indicator for ahk, i mean.

Offline D-EJ915

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 16 September 2010, 21:12:35 »
I remap scroll lock as a windows key for my keybindings on old keyboards and my hhkbs

Offline ironman31

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 17 September 2010, 23:38:49 »
I think I'm going to keep it.
Keyboards:

Pointing Devices:

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #36 on: Sat, 18 September 2010, 07:18:44 »
Quote from: ironman31;224348
I think I'm going to keep it.

What was your final verdict? You decided you like the action after all?

Quote from: ripster
Send it back. Tell Majestouch the Scroll Lock LED doesn't work.

Hey!
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 September 2010, 07:26:35 by keyboardlover »

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #37 on: Sat, 18 September 2010, 10:40:09 »

I think it's because there is a difference between the Topre and the Model M. The Model M keys does not need all the force at the beginning of the key travel, and the resistance build up over the key travel. You can thus build momentum during the whole process. But in the case of the Topre, the keys require most of the force right at the beginning to get the keys moving. Once you get the keys moving, the keys feel quite light after.

Offline ironman31

« Reply #38 on: Sun, 19 September 2010, 09:20:18 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;224395
What was your final verdict? You decided you like the action after all?

Hey!

I sure do change my mind a lot :)
Keyboards:

Pointing Devices: