Author Topic: How to exchange keyboard cherry mx switches?  (Read 1865 times)

Offline ~Blood~

How to exchange keyboard cherry mx switches?
« on: Wed, 15 September 2010, 07:09:44 »
Is it possible to exchange a keyboards cherry mx switches for another color? For example if I was ever to get my hands on red switches.. could I transfer them to another chassis?

I don't like the cherry cases and tenkeys.

Offline ~Blood~

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 15 September 2010, 07:49:24 »
Just found a guide with brown springs/black stems, thanks.

Offline washuai

• http://home.earthlink.net/~haruai/
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 15 September 2010, 12:30:27 »
Welcome to Geekhack.  Cool to see someone else look and find the answer, before a member links them to it.  Although, we like to type around here, so often you'll see someone answer previously answered questions.
⌨(home)Realforce 87U ⌨(backup) Filco Majestouch 104 Brown ⌨(backup)Cherry G80-8200LPDUS ⌨(work)Leopold FC200RT/AB
☛CST L-Trac-X ☛Logitech Wireless Optical Trackman ☛ Razer 3500 dpi ☛MS Explorer DeathAdder

Lay-a-bouts:  ⌨Full 109 Key Virtually Indestructable  Keyboard ⌨Compaq Radio Quack GYUR84SK
Wishlist: ⌨KBDmania Pure ⌨Déck 82 ice/frost/toxic/royal ⌨Ricercar spos G86-62410EUAGSA ☠ ✞⌨miniGuru(s) ☠
 ✐Intuos or Cintiq

Offline ~Blood~

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 15 September 2010, 14:57:52 »
Too bad the mod won't work on filco tenkeyless unless I solder something, which I won't do. Now I have to decide between cherry browns and blacks, the great debate.

If only there were realforce all 45g ISO tenkeyless black keyboards out there!

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 15 September 2010, 15:11:05 »
If an ISO Realforce 8xU ever comes out, I would get too hung up on the all-45g thing.  The variable weighting is very subtle, and you wouldn't notice it during normal use.

With that out of the way, go with the Cherry browns.

Offline washuai

• http://home.earthlink.net/~haruai/
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 16 September 2010, 01:06:20 »
There are all 45g Realforce 91U.  There are also all 55g and variable 91Us, so do verify, before you pay.  As far as layout, I'm just going to leave it at that it is Japanese layout.  You can use the board, while setting your OS to a different layout.  As long as the right keys are in the right place, don't sweat it.

I know a lot of people around here tend to say iso and mean vertical enters shaped like a T missing the right top side of the T and ANSI to the mean the horizontal enter key.  Wiki says something different about ISO.
⌨(home)Realforce 87U ⌨(backup) Filco Majestouch 104 Brown ⌨(backup)Cherry G80-8200LPDUS ⌨(work)Leopold FC200RT/AB
☛CST L-Trac-X ☛Logitech Wireless Optical Trackman ☛ Razer 3500 dpi ☛MS Explorer DeathAdder

Lay-a-bouts:  ⌨Full 109 Key Virtually Indestructable  Keyboard ⌨Compaq Radio Quack GYUR84SK
Wishlist: ⌨KBDmania Pure ⌨Déck 82 ice/frost/toxic/royal ⌨Ricercar spos G86-62410EUAGSA ☠ ✞⌨miniGuru(s) ☠
 ✐Intuos or Cintiq