Author Topic: Can I safely soak a Model M case in Simple Green  (Read 2530 times)

Offline Hubbert

Can I safely soak a Model M case in Simple Green
« on: Mon, 13 September 2010, 15:58:54 »
I see that Simple Green is highly respected for cleaning cases. Can I just put the entire case, or will it take off the logo or the label over the LED's?
Current: ThinkPad, Modified Model M, Customozed Unicomp on order.
Occasional: Acer (rubber with sharp edged keycaps)
Storage: Kinesis Advantage (Cherry brown), PC Concepts split keyboard (ALPS white)
Scorpius M10 (Cherry blue)

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 13 September 2010, 18:14:23 »
If you're soaking just the outside plastic case you won't have to worry. Those IBM keyboards have withstood far worse abuse.

As a matter of fact, I remember at work where I used to take off all the keys on the old Apple keyboards and soak them in Simple Green. It didn't hurt them one bit.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Hubbert

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 13 September 2010, 19:32:40 »
Thanks for the replies. I got good results on the bottom with isopropyl alcohol and paper towels. I do think isopropyl leeches some stuff out of the plastics (it left a white residue on my hands, and leaves a very pronounced white residue  on silver colored plastic).

Mostly I just heard so many good comments on Simple Green that I thought I should give it a try. The case is actually fairly clean, too, I mostly wanted to remove body oils.
Storage: Kinesis Advantage (Cherry brown), PC Concepts split keyboard (ALPS white)

Offline Hubbert

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 13 September 2010, 19:47:49 »
Thanks for the replies. I got good results on the bottom with isopropyl alcohol and paper towels. I do think isopropyl leeches some stuff out of the plastics (it left a white residue on my hands, and leaves a very pronounced white residue  on silver colored plastic).

Mostly I just heard so many good comments on Simple Green that I thought I should give it a try. The case is actually fairly clean, too, I mostly wanted to remove body oils.

Offline Half-Saint

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 14 September 2010, 14:32:55 »
I just use some dishwashing liquid detergent and a Vileda sponge to clean the top cover. I wash the foam off with water. To clean the bottom cover I use isopropyl alcohol or any glass-cleaning solution.
IBM Model M (6) - Acer Alcatel 6312-KW - IBM Model M Space Saver - IBM Model M 122-key - Cherry G80-3000 (2) - IBM Model F AT - TG3 BL82A (2)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Meg

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 14 September 2010, 19:25:27 »
I have seen *undiluted* Simple Green remove finishes from various other kinds of things. It's pretty strong stuff. If you're going to use it, don't use it full strength.
I've used isopropyl alchol and it seemed to work fine.

Offline Hubbert

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 14 September 2010, 20:02:57 »
I know that my hands were white after I cleaned the bottom half of the case, and the Wikipedia on isopropyl alcohol says that it removes the plasticizers on vinyl records, so I know that isopropyl is strong: I've never used Simple Green (and read some reports that it also removes plasticizers to a degree).

I've almost decided to use denture tablets for the top half of the case since they did a good job on the keys. I'll try to soak up to just below the labels. The case is relatively new (1996) and not that dirty; it's just a psychological thing that I want to get rid of the previous user's body oils and lotions and such. I'll consider spot-treating with isopropyl, though perhaps I'll dilute it (most varieties are 70%, but there's a Meijer store brand variety that is 99%).