Author Topic: Help! My accuracy on a Filco Cherry Blue is horrible.  (Read 2678 times)

Offline panda-R

Help! My accuracy on a Filco Cherry Blue is horrible.
« on: Wed, 15 September 2010, 18:21:12 »
I just can't seem to pin point the cause of things but I'm just a horrible typer on this board. I seem to have better luck with other boards but then again I'm coming from the domeness of rubber and this is my first clicky board so It could be I just haven't found the rythmn of working with this baby yet.

Anyone find it easier to produce a lot of typo's on a Filco Cherry Blue or any other Cherry Blue for that matter? I want to try something stiffer maybe the 55g Realfroce is my calling?
DO YOU FEEL THE BEAT? I DO.
One Keyboard to DOOM them all, REALFORCE.

Offline Arc'xer

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 15 September 2010, 18:30:33 »
Well if your coming from membranes, your probably bottoming out. Try and use the tactile bump to stop yourself half-way before bottoming out.

Take note of the bump how it changes the feel half-way and lighten your touch don't go all the down just half-way. Take note how the switch works on your keyboard and then over time your muscle memory will automate the bump.

I think people who are first timers with cherry blues need to get used to the fact that the noise is not an indication of tactility. It's an element to provide aural response and ignoring the element of sense i.e. tactile bump.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 15 September 2010, 18:38:09 »
I'd recommend, for rubber domes, one of the original Dell Quietkey keyboards.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 15 September 2010, 18:41:12 »
Quote from: panda-R;223744
I just can't seem to pin point the cause of things but I'm just a horrible typer on this board. I seem to have better luck with other boards but then again I'm coming from the domeness of rubber and this is my first clicky board so It could be I just haven't found the rythmn of working with this baby yet.

Anyone find it easier to produce a lot of typo's on a Filco Cherry Blue or any other Cherry Blue for that matter? I want to try something stiffer maybe the 55g Realfroce is my calling?

I had a similar experience on a keyboard with white alps. Clicky switches aren't for me...I prefer to bottom out. That's why I love my Realforce 55g, Keytronic, cherry browns, etc...

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 15 September 2010, 18:58:02 »
Cherry blues have hysteresis - that is the release point is higher than the actuation point. So if you type a sequence of letters where some repeat, you do need a slightly different technique to switches that aren't like that. In "repeat" for example, you need to lift the e key with a deliberate motion. It isn't extreme, but until you get used to it you might get errors.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 15 September 2010, 19:44:05 »
Quote from: Rajagra;223765
Cherry blues have hysteresis - that is the release point is higher than the actuation point.

Hysteresis in general terms is the ability of some (usually inanimate) object to have memory. In the case of keyswitches, it's the ability of the key to spontaneously snap back into a rest position, so all key switches have hysteresis out of necessity.

What goes on in the Blue Cherry is a limitation arising out of the way the bizarre clicker works. So much for German engineering.
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 September 2010, 19:49:47 by ch_123 »

Offline washuai

• http://home.earthlink.net/~haruai/
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 16 September 2010, 00:28:49 »
How does bottoming out create typos?  Are you not getting your finger back off the key quick enough so it is duplicating characters?
Isn't hitting the wrong key, hitting a key not hard enough or accidentally giving a key too much pressure.  Aside from a home row rest or feeling for nubs, why would someone purposefully put their hands on a key they didn't want to press and risk accidental presses.  
I eliminate most typos the first week of changing to something that is different, but it can easily take up to a month of regular everyday use to adjust to a new board.
I think either have someone watch you type, to figure out what you're doing, or record your hands and the output to help isolate what the issue is.

Typos from not releasing a key fast enough, or accidentally pressing a key or resting one's hands on the keys, should be obvious causes, because those typos are going to look like aaaa or seeing the key you know your finger was on or hel instead of hell.

Are f & j in the same locations relative to your monitor, chair, et cetera as your previous keyboard?  Keyboard orientation changes in addition to the change in keyboard size, key layout, et cetera, can all create a new layout for your muscles/brain to learn and increase typos.

I don't think we really have enough information to really understand the causes of the typos in this case.
⌨(home)Realforce 87U ⌨(backup) Filco Majestouch 104 Brown ⌨(backup)Cherry G80-8200LPDUS ⌨(work)Leopold FC200RT/AB
☛CST L-Trac-X ☛Logitech Wireless Optical Trackman ☛ Razer 3500 dpi ☛MS Explorer DeathAdder

Lay-a-bouts:  ⌨Full 109 Key Virtually Indestructable  Keyboard ⌨Compaq Radio Quack GYUR84SK
Wishlist: ⌨KBDmania Pure ⌨Déck 82 ice/frost/toxic/royal ⌨Ricercar spos G86-62410EUAGSA ☠ ✞⌨miniGuru(s) ☠
 ✐Intuos or Cintiq

Offline squarebox

• In Omnia Paratus
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 16 September 2010, 02:40:15 »
I believe OP have the same problem as me.
I came from a Razer Arctosa (laptop-style) i still like them for gaming.

Filco's key-height and key-spacing are total different from what i'm used too.
I kept missing key and pressing inbetween 2 keys.
I feel that the key's top surface area is smaller on the filco thus, lots of typos...
otaku version makes it worst but i slowly learning....

P.S My typing style is not normal.
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 September 2010, 02:53:20 by squarebox »
Filco Yellow Edition  | Filco Brown | Filco 2 Brown TKL | G80-1950 | G80-3494 | G80-11900 | Leopold FC500R | Noppoo Choc Mini

Offline Voixdelion

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 16 September 2010, 06:56:40 »
I agree with washuai (and omg that JUST now clicked as I typed that and heard myself say it in my mind. Wonder how many other usernames are lost on me because I am slow on the uptake sometimes...)  What sort of typos are you experiencing?  A certain pattern in the mistakes could indicate the cause, but without knowing what the pattern is it could be any number of things.  

I personally had to get used to the lightness in actuation of the blues.  I tended to have a lot of extra keypresses just from resting my fingers on the keys until I got used to the amount of pressure they could stand.   This was actually initially worsened by the design of the MX switch to minimize the stumbling over off-center keypresses because the key actuated even when I was sort of caught between keys while typing.  

Now that I have adjusted to them, I don't have that problem any more.  Only took a couple of days at most, but that was a couple of days entirely spent on the keyboard most likely.   In retrospect, I was probably experiencing more typos than on a rubber dome cheapie at first, but the problem corrected itself quickly and easily enough that I haven't actively thought about it until reading the original post which reminded me that I experienced something similar.  Now I find that my speed has improved even past what I used to do on the model M in ye olden days.  Gotten to the point where I actually type correctly and look at the screen more often than at my hands.

Cherry Blue Heaven!!  These rock!
"The more you tolerate each other, the less enforcement will happen."-iMav

Offline Co-Op

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 16 September 2010, 07:25:26 »
Is Hysterisis like Halitosis?

Offline panda-R

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 16 September 2010, 20:53:33 »
I think me is just not used to the keys yet. I spent the last year using a laptop keyboard as my primary driver and have used rubber domes most of my panda years. The clicky keys, the amount of travel and the spacing of the Filco board has all combined in some way to make me the worser typer. And FYI, yes I has meaning worser.
DO YOU FEEL THE BEAT? I DO.
One Keyboard to DOOM them all, REALFORCE.

Offline Neutral_Eyes

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 16 September 2010, 21:58:50 »
I was terrible at typing on Filco Blues at first, too. I think part of me expected to jump right out of the gate and see an improvement in typing speed/accuracy. This obviously didn't happen and I had to train myself for a week or two to slow down initially to ensure accuracy and change how I typed. I tried to use lighter movements, as I came from laptop/scissor keyboards - I was used to nailing the keys pretty hard.

One thing I still haven't gotten used to yet (and probably won't for a long while) is double letter typing. Where before, I'd only have to raise the key a very small amount after bottoming out and hit it again to register a double stroke, I have to let the tactile bump bounce back, then re-press. I guess I technically don't have to as the switch is reset before the return bump, but the room between the two points is so small that it's hard to have a consistent behavior. Sometimes I'll get a perfect double stroke with a single return bump. Sometimes it'll only register one stroke and I'll get caught backspacing to correct it. Sometimes I don't let enough pressure off and end up trailing with the letter a few characters.

It's improved over time and after some adjustments, but I still don't feel I'm all the way there. I think a quieter board would do me better, too. The clickiness just isn't for me, even without bottoming out.

Offline washuai

• http://home.earthlink.net/~haruai/
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 17 September 2010, 01:00:21 »
Quote from: Voixdelion;223863
... washuai (and omg that JUST now clicked as I typed that and heard myself say it in my mind. Wonder how many other usernames are lost on me because I am slow on the uptake sometimes...)  

Well that really depends on whether if there's more otaku than just keyboards.  Sometimes I amuse myself by treating it as Wash you A.I.  Really it is just Washu, as in Washu-chan from Tenchi Muyo + AI=love.

« Last Edit: Fri, 17 September 2010, 01:13:51 by washuai »
⌨(home)Realforce 87U ⌨(backup) Filco Majestouch 104 Brown ⌨(backup)Cherry G80-8200LPDUS ⌨(work)Leopold FC200RT/AB
☛CST L-Trac-X ☛Logitech Wireless Optical Trackman ☛ Razer 3500 dpi ☛MS Explorer DeathAdder

Lay-a-bouts:  ⌨Full 109 Key Virtually Indestructable  Keyboard ⌨Compaq Radio Quack GYUR84SK
Wishlist: ⌨KBDmania Pure ⌨Déck 82 ice/frost/toxic/royal ⌨Ricercar spos G86-62410EUAGSA ☠ ✞⌨miniGuru(s) ☠
 ✐Intuos or Cintiq