Author Topic: Utterly Addicted....  (Read 5095 times)

Offline SirClickAlot

• http://www.mrinterface.com
Utterly Addicted....
« on: Fri, 17 September 2010, 12:36:30 »
I fought my way through 20 mechanical keyboards and came out addicted to this one particular brand.

From clicky to non-clicky, From linear to non-linear, From Tactile to non-tactile...

I finally found my holy grail ....

Aaaaahhhhhh.... The Topre Keyswitch....

I can finally stop searching.... I hope ;-)

Regards.
[Succes is when you get what you want
Happiness is when you want what you get]

Optimize your interfaces : http://www.mrinterface.com
Currently using( not necessarily my favorite : I iterate over my collection many times ):
Filco White Majestouch Mx Brown DS White on Black.
Looking for : New and interesting interfaces. Working on :www.deskthority.net

Offline Parabellum

Utterly Addicted....
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 17 September 2010, 12:49:53 »
Very good.

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
Utterly Addicted....
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 17 September 2010, 13:04:35 »
Quote from: SirClickAlot;224192
I fought my way through 20 mechanical keyboards and came out addicted to this one particular brand.

From clicky to non-clicky, From linear to non-linear, From Tactile to non-tactile...

I finally found my holy grail ....

Aaaaahhhhhh.... The Topre Keyswitch....

I can finally stop searching.... I hope ;-)

Regards.

Same here! Which keyboard did you get?

Offline MahBoi

Utterly Addicted....
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 17 September 2010, 13:06:39 »
Yep, out of all the switches I've tried so far (not very many), the one that stands out to me is the Topre. It's on the HHKB Pro, though, and I really want to get a hand on a Realforce at some point because I've heard that the difference between them is pretty substantial. I still like the mini form factor and the layout of the HHKB, though, so I'd like to hold onto it.

Offline SirClickAlot

• http://www.mrinterface.com
Utterly Addicted....
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 17 September 2010, 13:09:11 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;224197
Same here! Which keyboard did you get?

The Topre Realforce 103-U UW with weighted keys and the Topre Realforce 103UB 55g.
[Succes is when you get what you want
Happiness is when you want what you get]

Optimize your interfaces : http://www.mrinterface.com
Currently using( not necessarily my favorite : I iterate over my collection many times ):
Filco White Majestouch Mx Brown DS White on Black.
Looking for : New and interesting interfaces. Working on :www.deskthority.net

Offline MahBoi

Utterly Addicted....
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 17 September 2010, 13:52:53 »
Not sure why, but I'm really digging that color scheme. I guess I'm just an odd duck.

Offline Zensuji

Utterly Addicted....
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 17 September 2010, 14:00:34 »
Quote from: MahBoi;224212
Not sure why, but I'm really digging that color scheme. I guess I'm just an odd duck.

Its bruce lee style.

Offline MahBoi

Utterly Addicted....
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 17 September 2010, 14:25:00 »
Quote from: Zensuji;224215
Its bruce lee style.

Huh. I knew there was something oddly appealing about it; I just couldn't quite put my finger on it.

Offline didjamatic

Utterly Addicted....
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 17 September 2010, 14:32:54 »
Another black/yellow motif, also a copy, also from Kill Bill.
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline Co-Op

Utterly Addicted....
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 17 September 2010, 14:37:47 »

Offline magictoaster

Utterly Addicted....
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 17 September 2010, 14:50:50 »
Quote from: ripster;224211
But now you have to try the Topre 106S (all 30g version).   And the Topre Silent version.  And the HHKB US and HHKB JP.   And THEN there's all the different colors.

Tell me about it...

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
Utterly Addicted....
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 17 September 2010, 16:45:19 »
Quote from: MahBoi;224212

Me too. I have ten yellow arcade buttons that I want to build into a game controller to use in conjunction with a keyboard in a black/yellow color scheme.

« Last Edit: Fri, 17 September 2010, 17:34:13 by ricercar »
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline colbabe

Utterly Addicted....
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 17 September 2010, 18:03:46 »
Quote from: ripster;224201
Out of all the switches I've tried so far...

the Topre feels the most like a Rubber Dome.

And I don't have a HHKB but "substantial" difference between PCB  HHKB and Metal Plate RealForce is probably exaggerated.  ItlnStln is one of the "PCB Cherry Browns For Ultimate Tactile Feel" crowd.

Then why do rubber domes get so slammed?  

I still wish for a Topre.

The "actual feel" I suppose is subjective and dependent on the individual.
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 September 2010, 18:07:22 by colbabe »

Offline washuai

• http://home.earthlink.net/~haruai/
Utterly Addicted....
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 17 September 2010, 18:06:20 »
Because Topre is quality, tactile, smooth, consistent and durable, where as regular non capacitive domes are cheap, linear, mushy, inconsistent and break easy.

Not everyone slams domes.  There are dome lovers, just search the forums on keytronic.  If keytronic made a tenkeyless designer variable, I might have been typing on the po' man's Topre.  I'm quite giddy that I type on a realforce 87U variable instead, so it is just as fine with me that they don't.

That said the Topre is not my holy grail.  I like the key feel on my G80-8200 better.  A Topre with an embedded numberpad and detachable number pad, even less bezel, keys not staggered, all 45g, low noise, NKRO, detachable cable, firmware programmable and waterproof board on the other hand would come very close.
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 September 2010, 18:14:59 by washuai »
⌨(home)Realforce 87U ⌨(backup) Filco Majestouch 104 Brown ⌨(backup)Cherry G80-8200LPDUS ⌨(work)Leopold FC200RT/AB
☛CST L-Trac-X ☛Logitech Wireless Optical Trackman ☛ Razer 3500 dpi ☛MS Explorer DeathAdder

Lay-a-bouts:  ⌨Full 109 Key Virtually Indestructable  Keyboard ⌨Compaq Radio Quack GYUR84SK
Wishlist: ⌨KBDmania Pure ⌨Déck 82 ice/frost/toxic/royal ⌨Ricercar spos G86-62410EUAGSA ☠ ✞⌨miniGuru(s) ☠
 ✐Intuos or Cintiq

Utterly Addicted....
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 17 September 2010, 20:14:10 »
Quote from: washuai;224263
Because Topre is quality, tactile, smooth, consistent and durable, where as regular non capacitive domes are cheap, linear, mushy, inconsistent and break easy.

Yeah, Topre switches are extremely smooth and reliable. I'm still waiting for a chance to try cherry browns, since I prefer light switches, but I'm very happy with my HHKB.

As for the comparison with rubber domes, well, they ARE rubber domes, but you can feel the difference (and not just the build-quality either, I think the spring inside probably is the reason for that). Topre switches also have an activation point that's pretty high - right below the "buckling" point, while standard rubbers require bottoming out.
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 September 2010, 20:16:13 by Superfluous Parentheses »
Current collection: HHKB Pro 2 black on black, HHKB Pro 2 white/grey blank, [strike]Dell AT101W[/strike] (sold to SirClickAlot), 1992 Model M, Key Tronic Ergoforce KT 2001, BTC 5100 C. Dead boards: MS Natural Elite, MS Natural 4000.

Offline Rajagra

Utterly Addicted....
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 17 September 2010, 21:11:20 »
Quote from: colbabe;224261
Then why do rubber domes get so slammed?

(Bad) rubber domes + membrane switches = fail

(Good) rubber domes + capacitive switches = win

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
Utterly Addicted....
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 17 September 2010, 21:55:03 »
Quote from: Superfluous Parentheses;224295
Yeah, Topre switches are extremely smooth and reliable. I'm still waiting for a chance to try cherry browns, since I prefer light switches, but I'm very happy with my HHKB.

As for the comparison with rubber domes, well, they ARE rubber domes, but you can feel the difference (and not just the build-quality either, I think the spring inside probably is the reason for that). Topre switches also have an activation point that's pretty high - right below the "buckling" point, while standard rubbers require bottoming out.

I just got my 2nd cherry brown keyboard and they in no way compare to Topre. I even prefer KeyTronic to cherry brown. Unfortunately I think I will probably sell it soon and buy a tenkeyless Topre.

When you fall in love with Topre...you fall HARD :D
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 September 2010, 21:57:36 by keyboardlover »

Offline washuai

• http://home.earthlink.net/~haruai/
Utterly Addicted....
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 17 September 2010, 22:30:08 »
I agree that browns are different than Topre and I like my Topre more than my Filco or Compaq MX11800 browns, but not more than my G80-8200 browns.  The browns are like bouncing on a bouncy bed, where as Topre is like bouncing on a ball that goes flat, which even though it inflates afterwards, which just isn't as fun.  I guess I just like the keys to push back, more than collapse.
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 September 2010, 19:58:50 by washuai »
⌨(home)Realforce 87U ⌨(backup) Filco Majestouch 104 Brown ⌨(backup)Cherry G80-8200LPDUS ⌨(work)Leopold FC200RT/AB
☛CST L-Trac-X ☛Logitech Wireless Optical Trackman ☛ Razer 3500 dpi ☛MS Explorer DeathAdder

Lay-a-bouts:  ⌨Full 109 Key Virtually Indestructable  Keyboard ⌨Compaq Radio Quack GYUR84SK
Wishlist: ⌨KBDmania Pure ⌨Déck 82 ice/frost/toxic/royal ⌨Ricercar spos G86-62410EUAGSA ☠ ✞⌨miniGuru(s) ☠
 ✐Intuos or Cintiq

Offline MahBoi

Utterly Addicted....
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 18 September 2010, 01:36:22 »
I'm still not sure what my favorite is yet, seeing as how I've only had the HHKB for two weeks. I still trade off regularly between that and the FILCO, and to be honest I really like both of them.

I guess typing on a crappy rubber dome for so many years gives me a more clear perspective on the Topre rubber domes. While the Logitech feels like typing on Play-Doh, the HHKB just feels smoother, more tactile, and more effortless to type on. It's a night and day difference for me. That and the fact that I'm still relatively new to all this still makes it an eye-opening experience every time I type on a new switch.

That said, I still do like the feeling of a tactile Cherry switch and the feedback you get from them (and the clickiness). Like I said, I'm still deciding between the two, but at this rate, I'm destined to switch back and forth between them forever. Or until at least one of them breaks.

Offline patrickgeekhack

Utterly Addicted....
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 18 September 2010, 18:06:58 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;224318

When you fall in love with Topre...you fall HARD :D

I can say the same, but for the blue Cherries. To me (others may disagree), the blue Cherry offers the best compromise of audio and tactile feedback. I am so happy that no one has told me that they are annoying at work. I was scared that they would.