Author Topic: ABS M1 + Alcohol Issue  (Read 2799 times)

Offline Kantastic

ABS M1 + Alcohol Issue
« on: Sat, 18 September 2010, 18:49:24 »
Hi guys, my used ABS M1 just arrived and I decided to wipe the keys down with some alcohol, yet something weird happened, after the alcohol dried off it's as if the alcohol was acidic and took some of the paint coating with it. Every key that made contact with the alcohol has what seems like white residue left, yet it isn't residue since I can't wipe it off with water or even scrape it off for that matter.

Would it be possible that the alcohol did indeed ruined the paint coating? If so, wouldn't this be a manufacturer defect?

Offline Kantastic

ABS M1 + Alcohol Issue
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 18 September 2010, 18:59:21 »
I actually have no clue, the label ripped off a while ago so it's just an opaque bottle.

If it really is 70% isopropyl alcohol, why would this happen?

And is there any way to fix it?

Offline Kantastic

ABS M1 + Alcohol Issue
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 18 September 2010, 19:13:44 »
Are there replacement key caps available for the ABS M!/Cherry MX Blacks? I've found a few sites but I have no bloody clue what model the switches on the ABS M1's are.

Edit: On the plus side, I got most of it off with soap & water, to the point where it's hardly noticeable.

Offline lmnop

ABS M1 + Alcohol Issue
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 18 September 2010, 19:15:18 »
you need to be careful isopropyl is a solvent. how long did it take you to get a ABS M1?

Simplified Alps in Black (Fukkas). you could try harvesting from a black Dell AT101W but I don't know if they will all fit probably not.
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 September 2010, 19:19:11 by lmnop »

Offline lmnop

ABS M1 + Alcohol Issue
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 18 September 2010, 19:19:28 »
you need to be more careful isopropyl is a solvent. how long did it take you to get a ABS M1?

Simplified Alps in Black (Fukkas). you could try harvesting from a black Dell AT101W but I don't know if they will all fit probably not.

Offline Kantastic

ABS M1 + Alcohol Issue
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 18 September 2010, 19:32:43 »
Quote from: lmnop;224548
you need to be more careful isopropyl is a solvent. how long did it take you to get a ABS M1?

Oh I haven't stripped the entire thing yet, just a few F keys to experiment with water, soap, and hot water.

If it's too much of an effort, I'll just forget about it. It really isn't that big of a deal.

Thanks a lot guys!

Offline didjamatic

ABS M1 + Alcohol Issue
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 18 September 2010, 19:32:52 »
If you contact the manufacturer they might help you, that or they'll tell you to go pee up a rope.

In any case, don't mix alcohol and keyboards, it leads to nothing good.
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline lmnop

ABS M1 + Alcohol Issue
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 18 September 2010, 19:34:31 »
you're welcome. stick around you may learn something :)

Offline Nadger

ABS M1 + Alcohol Issue
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 18 September 2010, 20:18:36 »
Dont drink and type
● Logitech ♦ G600
● Noppoo ♦ Choc Mini 茶轴
● Plum ♦ 96 White / Red Switch
● Microsoft ♦ Xbox 360 Windows Controller

Offline Kantastic

ABS M1 + Alcohol Issue
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 18 September 2010, 21:15:58 »
Ahaha, I'm seeing some geek humor here aren't I?

Anyway, I had an idea. Would it help if I took some very fine sandpaper and "lapped" the keys? Though, after washing all of them with soap they're almost back to normal.

Offline didjamatic

ABS M1 + Alcohol Issue
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 18 September 2010, 21:51:57 »
Quote from: ripster;224560
I do it all the time.

See?  If you drink and type, you'll end up like Ripster and the "I learned it by watching you" only flys in commercials, this isn't TV, this is the internet.

IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline aegrotatio

ABS M1 + Alcohol Issue
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 19 September 2010, 01:32:52 »
Jesus.  They tell you not to use anything but a damp cloth to clean your keyboard.
Daily Drivers: Ducky DK1087XM || DSI ASK-6600 || Rosewill RK-9000 BL, BR, BL, and RE || ABS M1 || Das Keyboard Silent || HHKB Lite and Lite 2 || DSI Big Font (kids love it)
Yearning for: Any ALPS keyboard || Any tenkeyless mechanical keyboard
Permanent collection: Poker Blue and Brown || Adesso MKB-125B || SIIG MiniTouch Geek Hack Space Saver || Chicony 5181 Monterey Blue || Chicony 5191 Clone Cherry Blues || Key Tronic 3600 || Unicomp Endurapro & SmarTrex || A crate of IBM Model M and Model M Space Saving boards || NeXTstation Slab || Amiga 3000 || BTC-5100C black and beige || SIIG MiniTouch Plus black and beige
Retired collection: SIIG MiniTouch Monterey Blue || Razer BlackWidow

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
ABS M1 + Alcohol Issue
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 19 September 2010, 10:40:09 »
Ah, pad printed keycaps... I remember those vaguely.