Author Topic: Portable keyboards to use with laptop  (Read 4555 times)

Offline chrs

Portable keyboards to use with laptop
« on: Sun, 19 September 2010, 11:56:28 »
I'm wanting to get a keyboard to use with my laptop when I travel, and I think I want Cherry browns or something similar.  It seems like my options are:

• Happy hacking Topre capacitive, $265, 1 lb.  Probably great but expensive.
  • Filco tenkeyless, $120, 2 lbs (great except too heavy)
  • i-Rocks KR-6230, $83.  I couldn't find a weight but probably heavy as I saw a picture showing the keys mounted in a metal plate.

My questions are:
  • Anyone know the weight of the KR-6230, or have one they'd be willing to weigh for me?
  • Anyone have ideas on whether it's easy to lighten the Filco?  My hope would be that it has deliberately added weight I could take out.
  • Any other ideas on boards I should consider?
  • Why so little discussion of laptop or portable keyboards here?

For background, I'm presently using AT-101W's at home and at work, and find them a little stiff, but I really like their smooth force profile and actuation prior to bottoming out.  I've sometimes hauled them along traveling, but they are huge and heavy, so more recently I've been using a goldtouch portable keyboard when I travel.  It is lower force than most laptops, but has buckling action and my RSI eventually kicks in when I use it a lot.  Two keys on it just quit working and I want to consider getting something better rather than fixing it.  I like mac and old dell laptop keyboards--both low force, smooth force profile.  I tried out the mac USB keyboard which is compact and supposed to be the same keys as their laptops, but it's slightly stiffer and has a distinct buckling action that I don't like.

Thanks for your help!

Offline Phaedrus2129

« Reply #1 on: Sun, 19 September 2010, 12:07:17 »
There's a wireless XArmor U9W upcoming. I don't have any other info on it than that though.
Daily Driver: Noppoo Choc Mini
Currently own: IBM Model M 1391401 1988,  XArmor U9 prototype
Previously owned: Ricercar SPOS, IBM M13 92G7461 1994, XArmor U9BL, XArmor U9W prototype, Cherry G80-8200LPDUS, Cherry G84-4100, Compaq MX-11800, Chicony KB-5181 (SMK Monterey), Reveal KB-7061, Cirque Wave Keyboard (ergonomic rubber domes), NMB RT101 (rubber dome), Dell AT101W

Offline chrs

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 19 September 2010, 12:29:09 »
Thanks for the tip, Phaedrus2129--unfortunately wireless is out for me because I need to be able to use it on planes.  

Ripster, I used to try to buy laptops based on keyboards, going to stores and trying typing on any they had on display.  But now I'm using a work-supplied laptop and they are constrained to buy only Lenovo.  I got them to buy an "ideapad" series model which has a softer board than the "thinkpad" series, but it's still too stiff for me, and has a yucky viscous (not crisp) feel.  But even aside from the work-supplied constraint, the shopping process is pretty annoying when you have to find good-feel keyboards in addition to whatever other features you are looking for.

Offline elbowglue

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 19 September 2010, 15:11:54 »
I would pull the trigger on didjamatic's last Ricercar SPOS.  (look in the classified section) or if that is already sold, consider the Compaq 84u in my signature.  Once that ricercar SPOS is gone, you'll start to regret it later, cause it will probably be a few months until you see another one available at all..

Oh yeah and there are dimensions in my signature too :)

Some drawbacks of the compaq 84u is the long cord and the need for Ps2 to usb adapter.  That would suck for travelling.  Same goes for the Desko 5023 UP, has a very long and redundant ps/2 cord.
« Last Edit: Sun, 19 September 2010, 15:15:18 by elbowglue »
My keyboards: Filco Cherry Blue Tenkeyless(daily home), Compaq MX11800 (modded to blacks), Compaq "MX 84u",  Wellington\'s Dampened Endurapro, Pinkalicious Filco Blue Cherry, Chicony KB-5191, Chicony KB-5181, Desko MOS 5023 UP "elbowglue" spos (modded to blues), Siig Minitouch (monterey blue), SMK-88 (blue cherries), Ricercar SPOS
Smallest to biggest keyboards in inches (Length X Height) - Length is most important for a midline mouse position

KBC Poker: 11.6 x 3.9 - HHKB: 11.6 x 4.3 - Siig Minitouch (Geekhack Space Saver): 11.6 x 6 - Deck/Tg3 82: 12 x 6 - Noppoo Choc Mini 12.4 x 5.3 - Compaq "MX 84u": 13.1 x 7.5 - Filco Tenkeyless: 14 x 5.3 - Cherry "ricercar spos" G86-62410EUAGSA: 14 x 7.75 - Topre Realforce 86u: 14.4 x 6.65 - Desko "elbowglue spos" MOS 5023 UP: 14.5 x 8.4 - IBM Model M Spacesaver: 15.3 x 7 - G80-1800: 15.9 x 7.1 - Adesso MKB-125B: 16 x 7.3 - Compaq Mx11800, Cherry G80-11900: 16.25 x 7.5 - Filco Standard: 17.3 x 5.4 - Unicomp Endurapro: 17.9 x 7.1 - Adesso MKB-135B: 18.3 x 6.0 - Cherry G80-3000: 18.5 x 7.6 - IBM Model M, Unicomp Customizer: 19.3 x 8.27

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 19 September 2010, 15:16:44 »
In the Filco, the Cherry switches are mounted onto a steel plate, with a PCB underneath it soldered up to the contacts. Most of the weight will be from here, it's not as if they threw in some lead weights in the corners to make it heavier than it needs to be.

I agree that the HHKB would be a great choice, but it is very expensive.

Offline chrs

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 19 September 2010, 16:39:39 »
Thanks for the info, ch_123.  That mans the Filco really isn't what I want--would take a lot of work to reduce the weight.

elbowglue, thanks for the pointer to your cut-down compaq--I might try that.  I'm not so sure about the ricercar spos--looks like it might be too big and heavy.

Offline Phaedrus2129

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 19 September 2010, 16:43:48 »
There's also ML4100 keyboards. Not excellent feeling, but adequate, and they're widely and cheaply available.
Daily Driver: Noppoo Choc Mini
Currently own: IBM Model M 1391401 1988,  XArmor U9 prototype
Previously owned: Ricercar SPOS, IBM M13 92G7461 1994, XArmor U9BL, XArmor U9W prototype, Cherry G80-8200LPDUS, Cherry G84-4100, Compaq MX-11800, Chicony KB-5181 (SMK Monterey), Reveal KB-7061, Cirque Wave Keyboard (ergonomic rubber domes), NMB RT101 (rubber dome), Dell AT101W

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 19 September 2010, 16:48:03 »
The Ricercar SPOS that I was/am selling is an amazing board and not heavy, BUT for portable use you would lose all of the relegendable key caps in a hurry.

The GHSS (SIIG Minitouch) or an Ortek MCK-84 would be better options that are smaller than a Filco tenkeyless, if you aren't set on cherry browns that is.  I have an Ortek if you want one.  (see my sig for pic)
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline maxlugar

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 20 September 2010, 02:38:49 »
Quote from: chrs;224676
I'm wanting to get a keyboard to use with my laptop when I travel, and I think I want Cherry browns or something similar.  It seems like my options are:

• Happy hacking Topre capacitive, $265, 1 lb.  Probably great but expensive.
  • Filco tenkeyless, $120, 2 lbs (great except too heavy)
  • i-Rocks KR-6230, $83.  I couldn't find a weight but probably heavy as I saw a picture showing the keys mounted in a metal plate.

My questions are:
  • Anyone know the weight of the KR-6230, or have one they'd be willing to weigh for me?
  • Anyone have ideas on whether it's easy to lighten the Filco?  My hope would be that it has deliberately added weight I could take out.
  • Any other ideas on boards I should consider?
  • Why so little discussion of laptop or portable keyboards here?

For background, I'm presently using AT-101W's at home and at work, and find them a little stiff, but I really like their smooth force profile and actuation prior to bottoming out.  I've sometimes hauled them along traveling, but they are huge and heavy, so more recently I've been using a goldtouch portable keyboard when I travel.  It is lower force than most laptops, but has buckling action and my RSI eventually kicks in when I use it a lot.  Two keys on it just quit working and I want to consider getting something better rather than fixing it.  I like mac and old dell laptop keyboards--both low force, smooth force profile.  I tried out the mac USB keyboard which is compact and supposed to be the same keys as their laptops, but it's slightly stiffer and has a distinct buckling action that I don't like.

Thanks for your help!

AFAIAC, the PFU Fujitsu HHKB Pro 2 is the only practical travel keyboard I've yet to come across.   Your two alternatives and the keyboards others have referenced in subsequent posts are not really practical for use as travel keyboards.

My HHKB gets beat up pretty good almost every weekend.  I'm constantly yanking it out of my carry-on laptop bag to use on the plane and also frequently use it in my dimly lit office where it occasionally gets knocked off the desk.  You just won't find another keyboard with the HHKB's unique form factor and incredible build quality that is 100% reliable (well, it hasn't failed me yet).  Topre key switches are technically not mechanical key switches which means they are immune to many of the conditions that cause mechanical switches to fail.  The Topre key switches are quiet, yet tactile, and provide the essential 4 mm key travel.  The layout is a royal pain in the ass, especially at first.  Key caps with labels you can actually read were a big hit with me.

$265 may seem like a lot of coin to lay out for a travel keyboard and I guess it would be if I were using the HHKB to write novels or poetry on my leisure time.   But in the big scheme of things, if you plan to use the HHBK for work related activities, especially important activities that relate to your own business, $265 is a rounding error.  Besides, you can write-off legitimate business expenses  ;)

If you decide to go with the HHKB, I suggest getting a travel case that provides adequate protection for the HHKB in transit.  The custom made padded case with the turquoise accents is probably OK.  I personally use a padded sleeve I discovered from Waterfield Designs of San Francisco.  There is also a custom fit hard case made by Bird Electron in Japan that I would like to get my hands on some day.
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 September 2010, 14:47:41 by maxlugar »
Emperor of the IBM 84-key AT Model F Darkside

Offline d2v

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 20 September 2010, 05:25:45 »
I suggest a DSi SMK-88 (Amazon link). Check out the reviews on GH, this one uses black cherry switches.
DSI SMK-88 (Black cherry), TVS Gold, Kensington Expert Mouse, MS NEK 4000, MS NWM 6000

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 20 September 2010, 07:14:03 »
SMK-88's are near impossible to find, like any compact mechanical.  I've tried to find one for a few months but haven't seen any pop up.  

If portability is your focus it's tough to beat a ML switch Cherry G84-4000.  Cute little suckers and are actually quite nice to type on IMO.  Or that aluminum board ripster posted if you're into chiclets.

The HHKB is a great compact option, but it's much thicker than a Cherry G84 and lacks arrow keys.

My personal favorite portables are a Minitouch I did a dampened ALPS swap on (so I can use it anywhere without annoying anyone) or the Ortek MCK-84 (Fukkas) that I'm falling in love with it's layout, especially the delete under my left thumb - why was it ever put anywhere else?  Brilliant.

« Last Edit: Mon, 20 September 2010, 18:24:22 by didjamatic »
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 20 September 2010, 08:29:08 »
The HHKB would be the obvious choice.  I carry one with me all the time.  The removable USB cable makes it perfect for moving around from system to system.

I have some used ML4100's, a SMK-88 (blue cherry), a KR-6230, and a ton of M4 and M4-1's available.

Offline d2v

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 20 September 2010, 10:24:33 »
Quote from: didjamatic;224851

The HHKB is a great compact option, but it's much thicker than a Cherry G84 and lacks arrow keys.

The HHKB has arrow keys accessible only using the modifier key next to right Shift, no ?
DSI SMK-88 (Black cherry), TVS Gold, Kensington Expert Mouse, MS NEK 4000, MS NWM 6000

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 20 September 2010, 10:35:40 »
Quote from: d2v;224884
The HHKB has arrow keys accessible only using the modifier key next to right Shift, no ?

That's correct.  I also keep an HHKB stowed in my laptop bag at all times.

Offline NamelessPFG

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 20 September 2010, 11:11:32 »
That MCK-84 looks pretty nice for a compact board, but I don't think I'd ever get over that ISO-style Enter key.

Is there anything with similar Insert/Delete placement and an ANSI-style Enter key out there?

Offline chrs

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 20 September 2010, 11:42:28 »
Quote from: ripster;224891
Plus we like DIP switches?

Has anyone made a full keyboard out of momentary DIP switches?  It would be sort of like typing on a handheld with a stylus, except with a jeweler's screwdriver, and it would be way more painful.  (Sorry, I'm deliberately misinterpreting your comments...and I'm not sure momentary DIP switches even exist.)

Thanks for all the great suggestions everyone.  I just snatched up a COMPAQ MX 11800 on Ebay for $20.  Not sure whether I'll cut it down into a travel board or just use it at my desk to see whether I like CBs as much as I expect I will.

The idea of getting a mac kbd clone is a good one--but it will be hit or miss to get one with a good feel.

So I may end up springing for the HHKB--thansk for the encouragement from those who do use it for travel.

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 20 September 2010, 11:53:49 »
Quote from: ripster;224897
Well, I'm still hoping for $99 HHKB Taiwanese clones for Christmas.  Just like I'm hoping for my Unicomp Mini.  I'm an eternal optimist.

Me too...I'm hoping for an 87u at a reasonable price...

Offline WhiteRice

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 20 September 2010, 12:31:54 »
Quote from: didjamatic;224742
The Ricercar SPOS that I was/am selling is an amazing board and not heavy, BUT for portable use you would lose all of the relegendable key caps in a hurry.

The GHSS (SIIG Minitouch) or an Ortek MCK-84 would be better options that are smaller than a Filco tenkeyless, if you aren't set on cherry browns that is.  I have an Ortek if you want one.  (see my sig for pic)
+1 for the GHSS, would need to get a ps/2 to usb adapter.

Offline ironman31

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 20 September 2010, 14:39:52 »
The targus dock works perfectly. And u don't need an ac adaptor to use with a keyboard
Keyboards:
IBM Model M Space Saving Keyboard (Used), HHKB Pro 2 (White, Lettered), Realforce 87U all-45g in White, Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with Cherry MX Browns, Model F PC/ATNoppoo Choc Mini (MX Browns), Model F XT, IBM Model M 1397735 (bought NIB), (2) Siig Minitouch (GHSS) one with XM, one with complicated ALPs (modded),2 Dell AT101W, Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (modded with MX browns)

Pointing Devices:
Logitech G500, Evoluent VerticalMouse 3, Logitech G5, CST 2545W, Microsoft IntelliMouse Trackball, Logitech M570, Logitech MX revolution

Offline maxlugar

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 20 September 2010, 14:59:53 »
Quote from: ripster;224941
I'm sorry but if you get on a plane with a MX8100 and a Targus Dock you're not going to pick up any hot girls.  And probably give security a FIT!
Show Image

Show Image

Yeah, that setup defines true portability, lol   :)
Emperor of the IBM 84-key AT Model F Darkside

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 20 September 2010, 14:59:56 »
Quote from: ripster;224811
what about a Apple Aluminum clone?  They are starting to appear.

Show Image

I'm still looking for the Ins key on those suckers. I never use it, but I see no reason for missing it out when there is a Fn key for an extra layer of functions.

Anyone got one yet / can report?