Author Topic: Suggestions for budget mechanical keyboard?  (Read 28226 times)

Offline Nimz

Suggestions for budget mechanical keyboard?
« on: Sun, 17 October 2010, 00:27:18 »
Can you guys please tell me what mechanical keyboards at this time are considered to be the best bang for the buck. I am looking for a nice mechanical keyboard for gaming that will last me a good amount of time. I am not looking for anything amazing, just decent build quality and good key precision. Figured I would ask you guys since you know what you're talking about, and I didn't want to end up with something that falls apart in a week. :<

So far, I've found the ione scorpius m10, but have read that the quality is hit or miss? Another one I saw that I liked is the Adesso mkb-125b for ~$55 on bhphotovideo. The fact that it's compact only cuts down on the right side of the keyboard right? It doesn't effect the actual lettering, correct?

Thanks for any help guys, I'm a noob.
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 October 2010, 00:49:02 by Nimz »
1a2a3a

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #1 on: Sun, 17 October 2010, 00:55:14 »
The adesso mkb-125b looks really interesting (should not affect basic lettering, you can see a closeup of the keyboard layout and decide for yourself of course). It has blue cherries, and claims N-key, and is "compact".  All of which should make it quite good for gaming (cue Deck fans). Good price point too.

specs from adesso site:
http://www.adesso.com/en/home/keyboards/mechanical-keyboard/306-mkb-125b.html

bhphotovideo page on it:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/696849-REG/Adesso_MKB_125B_Compact_Mechanical_Keyboard.html#specifications.

At $55 its a screaming blue cherry deal, by the way. Does not get much cheaper than $55-60 range (unless you happen to have a drunken indian cousin).

As for quality, at this range it will always be hit or miss - but you know what? $130 blue cherry boards are - guess what - hit or miss too.  I can give you links if you doubt that.

If you're paranoid (and you shouldnt be), I notice bh offers a 2 year protection plan for a mere $10, which is like two cups of coffee at starbucks. Get it and get peace of mind if you want.

Since you're buying it new, you will have some price protection as most vendors will have decent return policies. I say go for it. If you're looking for a bargain on a gaming mechanical, this is a good one -- its a good bargain at $55, has n-key (they say, you can test it when it arrives),  nice and compact (your mouse will be closer to the keyboard cuz the board is compact), and bhphotovideo has excellent service (I shop there all the time in person in manhattan, its a really fun store by the way).
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 October 2010, 01:16:31 by wellington1869 »

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 17 October 2010, 00:58:33 »
(as an aside, there are only two boards I would unqualifyingly recommend as consistent in 'quality' - one is the M (of nearly any age, yea rivets blah blah blah), and the other is topre (if you have $300 bucks lying around). Everything else will always be hit or miss, and thats okay so long as you have good return policy from vendor. You have to assume that trial-error is going to be part of the process of finding a board that works for you. This is a niche industry with niche boards for niche people.)

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline ironman31

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 17 October 2010, 00:58:56 »
well it seems like the razor black widdow is a decent price for cherry blues. Not sure about the quality though. And you can always pick up a cherry corp. keyboard from ebay. The model numbers to look for have "g80" in the full model number if you want mx switches (i.e. brown, blue, black, red). There are some other model numbers, but they get kind of complicated, pretty sure we have a wiki on it.

And most keyboards won't mess with the spacing of the alpha section of the keyboard.
Keyboards:
IBM Model M Space Saving Keyboard (Used), HHKB Pro 2 (White, Lettered), Realforce 87U all-45g in White, Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with Cherry MX Browns, Model F PC/ATNoppoo Choc Mini (MX Browns), Model F XT, IBM Model M 1397735 (bought NIB), (2) Siig Minitouch (GHSS) one with XM, one with complicated ALPs (modded),2 Dell AT101W, Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (modded with MX browns)

Pointing Devices:
Logitech G500, Evoluent VerticalMouse 3, Logitech G5, CST 2545W, Microsoft IntelliMouse Trackball, Logitech M570, Logitech MX revolution

Offline KillerBee

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 17 October 2010, 01:25:58 »
Quote from: Nimz;235046
I'm a noob.

Try and buy a cheap M and start from there. I dont know if I could be quoted on this but the majority of us started with an M or managed to use one in some point in our life.
IBM Model M 1386304 Nov. 1985

Offline kill will

• http://www.jerseyshoredailies.com
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 17 October 2010, 01:44:42 »
I would also suggest a Model M or Unicomp.
I <3 BS

Offline washuai

• http://home.earthlink.net/~haruai/
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 17 October 2010, 01:56:22 »
I'd definitely agree that IBM Model Ms are probably the most consistent product for a certain standard of quality and price.  You can try Alps and ebay cherry roulette, but if you like clicky, just get IBM Model M if you're being cheap (cost wise).

Yea, I touched Apple and Dell Alps and IBM M, before I finally owned my first Filco.  My ebay adventures came after that trying to get a cheap board for work and I finally ended up with Topre, so far from cheap.  

That said if you're after browns, ebay used or long time in that box NIB can be had around $40.
⌨(home)Realforce 87U ⌨(backup) Filco Majestouch 104 Brown ⌨(backup)Cherry G80-8200LPDUS ⌨(work)Leopold FC200RT/AB
☛CST L-Trac-X ☛Logitech Wireless Optical Trackman ☛ Razer 3500 dpi ☛MS Explorer DeathAdder

Lay-a-bouts:  ⌨Full 109 Key Virtually Indestructable  Keyboard ⌨Compaq Radio Quack GYUR84SK
Wishlist: ⌨KBDmania Pure ⌨Déck 82 ice/frost/toxic/royal ⌨Ricercar spos G86-62410EUAGSA ☠ ✞⌨miniGuru(s) ☠
 ✐Intuos or Cintiq

Offline Pylon

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 17 October 2010, 06:20:24 »
I'd also regularly check out yard sales. A lot of the people may be offering decent mechanicals, and they may not know how much they're worth, so they'd let say an Omnikey or an M go for a buck or two since "well, that's just some old beige keyboard".

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 17 October 2010, 09:09:28 »
Quote from: wellington1869;235048
The adesso mkb-125b looks really interesting (should not affect basic lettering, you can see a closeup of the keyboard layout and decide for yourself of course). It has blue cherries, and claims N-key, and is "compact".  All of which should make it quite good for gaming (cue Deck fans). Good price point too.

The 125B is NOT NKRO. Only the 135B (fullsize) is.

For gaming I reccomend Cherry browns if you'll be typing as much as gaming and cherry blacks if you'll only be gaming. You'll also probably need 6 key rollover for gaming. Check this wiki:

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 17 October 2010, 09:24:33 »
Quote from: ripster
And if you are OK with a full sized Blue Cherry and that gawdawful logo the Rosewill is the Filco/Das killer.

Does that make it a Ducky killer too? =)

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 17 October 2010, 12:02:26 »
If you want bargains, I think you'll need to scout the Classifieds here and auctions on E-Bay, going with what you find, without much planning ahead. When you find something that offers a good quality to price ratio and the shipment cost is low to boot, then you move in for the kill during the last minute of the auction, putting in already the max amount you'd be willing to bet. Unless it's Buy Now.

Offline KillerBee

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 17 October 2010, 13:01:57 »
I completely forgot about the Omnikey that would be a killer beginner board! Heck I know if I would have found an Omnikey before the M I would have Omnikey Madness

Quote from: ripster;235135
collectors here that like to look at labels really notice that much of a typing difference.

I know you where thinking of me when you said that... :)
MUST FIND EARLIER M'S ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
IBM Model M 1386304 Nov. 1985

Offline Nimz

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 17 October 2010, 17:20:25 »
Thanks for all the info guys!

Can you guys tell me about this board? I was wondering about this one as I can get it in person. It's always a plus to not have to wait for shipping.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0318832

They also have the MKB-135b in stock but its $100 :<
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 October 2010, 17:23:12 by Nimz »
1a2a3a

Offline WhiteRice

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 17 October 2010, 18:03:56 »
microcenter pisses me off. Every week they list an open box version of that keyboard, I've tried to reserve it like five times and they cancel morning of, every time. Just some stupid gimmick they use to get people to the store.

Offline washuai

• http://home.earthlink.net/~haruai/
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 17 October 2010, 18:32:33 »
I don't consider IBM Model Ms necessarily the best starter keyboard if it's consistency you want.  Generally you'll be buying a used one, not a NIB one, so it's hit and miss.  

And Topres are too damn expensive for a first mechanical.

This is what I list in the "Geekhack Mechanical Keyboard Guide" as the "sweet spot" right now.

I'm tempted to take the Scorpius off the list because earlier this year it STILL had soldering problems and like I said the Model M is the classic but becoming less and less of a "deal" every year.   Unicomp's are fine and only the collectors here that like to look at labels really notice that much of a typing difference.  And if you are OK with a full sized Blue Cherry and that gawdawful logo the Rosewill is the Filco/Das killer.

Who recommended Topre?  I mentioned I ended up there, but clearly it wasn't my first mechanical, nor my cheapest, either.  Maybe not so clearly it involved special circumstances (tenkeyless not clicky, no Ricercar SPOS availability, etc.).  
I was recommending IBM Model M (which you did, as well) and compaq/Cherry browns from ebay.  Blues generally cost more and Alps or cherry blacks often involve more acquired tastes.

What I meant is a more consistent ratio of money to quality with IBMs.  Sure the lesser specimens aren't as enjoyable, but working is still kickin' domes off the top of the hill.  For the $30 or less bargains, the alps are likely to be scratchy and there aren't cherry MX options.
⌨(home)Realforce 87U ⌨(backup) Filco Majestouch 104 Brown ⌨(backup)Cherry G80-8200LPDUS ⌨(work)Leopold FC200RT/AB
☛CST L-Trac-X ☛Logitech Wireless Optical Trackman ☛ Razer 3500 dpi ☛MS Explorer DeathAdder

Lay-a-bouts:  ⌨Full 109 Key Virtually Indestructable  Keyboard ⌨Compaq Radio Quack GYUR84SK
Wishlist: ⌨KBDmania Pure ⌨Déck 82 ice/frost/toxic/royal ⌨Ricercar spos G86-62410EUAGSA ☠ ✞⌨miniGuru(s) ☠
 ✐Intuos or Cintiq

Offline Lanx

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 17 October 2010, 19:05:14 »
both the siig and addesso you mentioned have the inverted enter L and short/small backspace, don't know if that'd be an issue for you.

Offline Nimz

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 17 October 2010, 20:15:14 »
That's not a huge deal to me. The one thing that I don't like is the fact that the compact adesso's esc and F keys are moved over to the right. I would like to stay away from that if possible. The little backspace would be annoying, but I think I would get used to it.
1a2a3a

Offline Voixdelion

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 18 October 2010, 10:43:36 »
Quote from: Nimz;235266

Better price on the MKB-135b (My current daily driver  <3)

Amazon.com $74.88 + Free Shipping = but listed as "Pro Mechanical gaming kyb"

http://www.amazon.com/Adesso-MKB-135B-Pro-Mechanical-Gaming/dp/B0038KN6GO

$70.30 + S/H  (about $5-$6 to Los Angeles, CA) from BH Photo:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/696851-REG/Adesso_MKB_135B_MECH_TACTL_USB_KEYBRD_2.html

or $81.34  (Free Shipping) from Buy.com @ ebAY
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 October 2010, 11:37:16 by Voixdelion »
"The more you tolerate each other, the less enforcement will happen."-iMav

Offline aegrotatio

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 18 October 2010, 21:16:19 »
SIIG mechanical is allegedly the same as DSI ASK-6600.  Save your money and get the DSI version.
Daily Drivers: Ducky DK1087XM || DSI ASK-6600 || Rosewill RK-9000 BL, BR, BL, and RE || ABS M1 || Das Keyboard Silent || HHKB Lite and Lite 2 || DSI Big Font (kids love it)
Yearning for: Any ALPS keyboard || Any tenkeyless mechanical keyboard
Permanent collection: Poker Blue and Brown || Adesso MKB-125B || SIIG MiniTouch Geek Hack Space Saver || Chicony 5181 Monterey Blue || Chicony 5191 Clone Cherry Blues || Key Tronic 3600 || Unicomp Endurapro & SmarTrex || A crate of IBM Model M and Model M Space Saving boards || NeXTstation Slab || Amiga 3000 || BTC-5100C black and beige || SIIG MiniTouch Plus black and beige
Retired collection: SIIG MiniTouch Monterey Blue || Razer BlackWidow

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 18 October 2010, 21:27:02 »

Can you guys tell me about this board? I was wondering about this one as I can get it in person. It's always a plus to not have to wait for shipping.

I just checked it, $79.99 right now.  Oops, wasn't paying attention.  It's the SIIG USB Desktop Keyboard that is $79.99, the MKB-135b is $99.99.
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 October 2010, 21:40:49 by TexasFlood »

Offline muchadoaboutnothing

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 18 October 2010, 21:35:17 »
I'd spend $5 over the Adesso to get an NKRO Cherry Blue Rosewill RK-9000.

Chiefvalue will ship tomorrow with UPS 3 Day Select. Even if you're on the other coast you'll get it no later than Friday.

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 18 October 2010, 21:49:01 »
Quote from: muchadoaboutnothing;235744
I'd spend $5 over the Adesso to get an NKRO Cherry Blue Rosewill RK-9000.

Chiefvalue will ship tomorrow with UPS 3 Day Select. Even if you're on the other coast you'll get it no later than Friday.

I got one and really like it.  Shipped fast to.

Offline vann

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 19 October 2010, 10:48:39 »
This is what I list in the "Geekhack Mechanical Keyboard Guide" as the "sweet spot" right now.

I'm tempted to take the Scorpius off the list because earlier this year it STILL had soldering problems ...

I face the same dilemma as the OP. As my budget can't afford much for a keyboard, in foreseeable time... I thought IOne Scorpius M10 USB Mechanical Keyswitch Keyboard fits my needs.

Reasons for the choice.
Cheapest keyboard with cherry blue switches. And I'm no stranger to a soldering iron... I'm aware of poor assembly problems, but none of those shouldn't be too much of a problem to repair myself.
Only 2 NKRO, but than again I don't think cherry blues will suit me for gaming (which I do less and less in last few years). Maybe a separate cherry blacks keyboard will fit that requirement in some latter time.
Rosewill RK-9000 is tempting but the difference between cheapest (keyboard+shipping) Scorpius M10 and Rosewill is more than $30. NKRO aside, is the Rosewill RK-9000 that better than Scorpius M10?

What I'd also like to ask is... I've heard rumors (at some forums, but I couldn't find it again to link it) that IOne started to use other switches in Scorpius M10. Can somebody confirm this?
Has somebody here bought Scorpius M10 lately?

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 19 October 2010, 10:51:55 »
Quote from: vann;235961
What I'd also like to ask is... I've heard rumors (at some forums, but I couldn't find it again to link it) that IOne started to use other switches in Scorpius M10. Can somebody confirm this?
Has somebody here bought Scorpius M10 lately?

We had a discussion on someone getting an M10 with simplified alps here.

I'd go for the RK-9000 - from what I understand the M10 had some build quality issues (I've also heard from others that they were resolved).

Offline vann

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 19 October 2010, 11:20:20 »
Rosewill RK-9000's price is same as non-iluminated Razer BlackWidow's...
Razer BlackWidow is only 2NKRO, according to Ripster's Wiki entry. Rosewill (and it's logo) looks awful but has NKRO. Which one is a better quality... more and more to consider, I guess nothing is easy to decide on. :decision:
And going upper and upper in price, takes it closer to illuminated mechanical models and brands like Das, Filco... I have to resist that itching in my wallet.

Damn, I was almost resolved to go with the Scorpius M10... I might try to ask some of the resellers to check the switch type.

Offline Nimz

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 19 October 2010, 14:12:00 »
This IBM doessn't  look like anything special to you guys, does it?

1a2a3a

Offline WhiteRice

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 19 October 2010, 14:37:16 »
Quote from: Nimz;236035

Show Image
I think I saw that same one in the modification section. Should be rubber dome.

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 19 October 2010, 14:38:17 »
Quote from: Nimz;236035

I had one of those at work and it lead me to buy myself a Filco to use a work out of pocket.
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 October 2010, 14:44:55 by muchadoaboutnothing »

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 19 October 2010, 15:09:37 »
Quote from: WhiteRice;236044
I think I saw that same one in the modification section. Should be rubber dome.

Yes, it was mine. It's the IBM SK-8820 rubber dome.

But it's certainly special for a rubber dome. I bought 3 of them for $3 each some time ago and broke my typing speed record the first or second time I tried, immediately after changing from using flat scissors boards for a year. Gave one to my friend, who used to have a Labtec (i.e. cheaper Logitech) and he loves it.

The mod I was pulling off there was putting a spring in the rod under the key. If you take a key off, you will notice that it has a rod underneath. That rod is what pushes down until it hits the rubber dimple below. This is different from how some other rubber keyboards are done, as far as I can tell.

If you find a dead Model M somewhere or otherwise acquire 105 tiny springs of the same size, you can have some fun with it. Otherwise you can still have fun for as much as a rubber keyboard is worth. This one enables very fast typing.

Dude, I think that's the Solidtek ASK 6600 (simplified white Alps), although it could be something similar, the look is still pretty generic. If it really is ASK 6600, you can have it for $44 off DSI:

http://www.notestation.com/fullsizealpsmechanicalswitchkeyboardask-6600.htm
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 October 2010, 15:15:21 by NewbieOneKenobi »

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 19 October 2010, 15:13:32 »

Dude, I think that's the Solidtek ASK 6600 (simplified white Alps), although it could be something similar, the look is still pretty generic. If it really is ASK 6600, you can have it for $44 off DSI:

http://www.notestation.com/fullsizealpsmechanicalswitchkeyboardask-6600.htm

Offline Voixdelion

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 19 October 2010, 19:46:29 »
I think the best answer requires further clarification - main 2  things:

1- where is it going to be shipped and  

2- define "budget"

additional minor details include: do you need frills, tenkeyless, NKRO, bling, etc.

(and re the Adesso: full size (BUT NOT THE 125)  135b =NKRO cherry blue +USB hubs and audio Jacks. I would like to know how it compares directly to the Rosewill myself in terms of typing but since they are in direct competition I don't know that anyone has tried both of these two to compare...)
"The more you tolerate each other, the less enforcement will happen."-iMav

Offline zefrer

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 20 October 2010, 09:57:09 »
Any suggestions for a brown cherry board under 100 euro in Europe?

Offline steeef

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 20 October 2010, 11:24:10 »
So the MK-135B is the cheapest option for cherry blues? I'd like to try that particular switch out, but not for $70. Still haven't seen anything on Ebay worth picking up.
Cherry MX Blue: Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless. Cherry MX Black: TG3 KBA-BLTD-5RBUVS (Police Cruiser keyboard). Cherry MX Clear: KBC Poker (modded with Ergo Clears) Cherry MX Brown: Goldtouch GTC-077 USB numpad. Buckling Spring: IBM Model M 1391401 (1989-01-03 and 1991-11-21).

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 20 October 2010, 11:34:57 »
Quote from: zefrer;236363
Any suggestions for a brown cherry board under 100 euro in Europe?

Nope. (Well, you could do a special order @Cherry, or rather keybo.de - but that may have to be like 50 pieces.)
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline zefrer

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 20 October 2010, 12:20:36 »
Was afraid of that.

Any suggestions for a good/decent mechanical keyboard for under 100 euro in Europe that doesn't use cherry blues?

Offline twn2

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 20 October 2010, 12:54:09 »
Quote from: steeef;236394
So the MK-135B is the cheapest option for cherry blues? I'd like to try that particular switch out, but not for $70. Still haven't seen anything on Ebay worth picking up.

So you think $70 for MKB-135B is too high? I don't have any idea that how much should this one be, but I don't see any MKB-135B lower than $70 including shipping.

I think Ione Scorpius M10 is a cheaper cherry blue than MKB-135B, but it seems that there are some problems on soldering.

Offline steeef

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 20 October 2010, 13:34:33 »
If I decided that I liked blues over other switches and wanted something permanent, no it's not too high. I'm still undecided on switches, but I managed to find a Compaq 11800 on Ebay for $25 so I could try out brown switches. No such luck on the blue front.
Cherry MX Blue: Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless. Cherry MX Black: TG3 KBA-BLTD-5RBUVS (Police Cruiser keyboard). Cherry MX Clear: KBC Poker (modded with Ergo Clears) Cherry MX Brown: Goldtouch GTC-077 USB numpad. Buckling Spring: IBM Model M 1391401 (1989-01-03 and 1991-11-21).

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 20 October 2010, 19:03:17 »
Quote from: zefrer;236414
Any suggestions for a good/decent mechanical keyboard for under 100 euro in Europe that doesn't use cherry blues?

New? You can get G80-3000s with clears in a few layouts and blacks in all of them, plus G84s with ML switches (these are usually compact layouts though, otherwise those MLs aren't too far from browns except they're lower travel and not that fond of off-center presses). Then there's the Steelseries 6G v2 (blacks).

That's about it, I think.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline aegrotatio

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 20 October 2010, 22:08:50 »
Quote from: steeef;236394

I've been seeing the smaller MKB-125B on the eBay and in fact picked one up from the post office today.

I find the sound of the Cherry Blues rather obnoxious and unnecessary.  On the same token I really enjoy clicky ALPS and Model M buckling spring to be quite pleasant, so it's a matter of taste.  Buy one of each!!!  Something about the Cherry Blue sound makes me not like them too much which led me to buy my prized Das Keyboard Pro "Silent" with silent Cherry Brown switches, instead.  I think the high-pitched Cherry Blue "hear me everybody" click is a little over the top for my taste.
Daily Drivers: Ducky DK1087XM || DSI ASK-6600 || Rosewill RK-9000 BL, BR, BL, and RE || ABS M1 || Das Keyboard Silent || HHKB Lite and Lite 2 || DSI Big Font (kids love it)
Permanent collection: Poker Blue and Brown || Adesso MKB-125B || SIIG MiniTouch Geek Hack Space Saver || Chicony 5181 Monterey Blue || Chicony 5191 Clone Cherry Blues || Key Tronic 3600 || Unicomp Endurapro & SmarTrex || A crate of IBM Model M and Model M Space Saving boards || NeXTstation Slab || Amiga 3000 || BTC-5100C black and beige || SIIG MiniTouch Plus black and beige

Offline maxlugar

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 20 October 2010, 22:19:27 »
For a first mechancial keyboard, get a sealed NIB Chicony KB-5181 with so called blue Monterey key switches.  The 5181 is ugly, but superior to most of the recommendations so far.

You can still find sealed NIB Chicony KB-5181 keyboards for sale (like the ones in my stash)  :-)
Emperor of the IBM 84-key AT Model F Darkside

Offline aegrotatio

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 20 October 2010, 22:23:18 »
Yes, Maxlugar has a great suggestion.  I got one and it's a pleasant, but quaint, rare keyboard that is still very affordable.

Offline zefrer

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 21 October 2010, 07:12:00 »
Thanks for the suggestions guys :)

The Chicony I've been looking for but they are not readily available in europe and work out to about $130 with shipping + tax after that. It would come up to 120 euro in all I think. I see didja selling one on ebay US btw :D

I don't like cherry blacks either so the steelseries is out also.

What I'm looking for is a keyboard for typing to introduce mechanical keyboards to a friend, not for me, so has to not look like the Chicony :D. No blacks, no blues. Bit of a vain quest I think, might go get a filco with browns.

Offline arc2

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 21 October 2010, 12:57:40 »
Can anyone advise if the following keyboard is mechanical ?

Chicony Model: KB-5312

Many thanks.

Offline steeef

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 21 October 2010, 13:02:29 »
You mean this one?:
http://geekhack.org/showpost.php?p=108187&postcount=1301
Rubber dome, non-mechanical. Sorry.

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 21 October 2010, 13:21:06 »
Believe it or not, I sold this one recently. Yes, sold - not for anything close to a fortune, of course, but still. The matrix routing seems to be rather cursor-key-gaming-friendly, and the proud new owner's previous sample had developed some problems so he was happy to obtain a replacement.

Not bad considering that originally I wasn't sure whether to toss it. One man's trash...

Offline arc2

« Reply #45 on: Sat, 23 October 2010, 00:10:44 »
My own approach to getting a cheap mechanical keyboard has been to ask my work colleagues to keep a look out for older keyboards with the promise of me buying them a few pints if they find me a mechanical one.

I now have a compaq mx 11800 which one of the guys found in a cupboard in work lol. I believe it uses cherry brown switches and I do like the feel a lot. I miss the windows key though.

Also I have a viglen 6312-tw keyboard which although not fully mechanical still produces a clicky type noise on typing.

Similar to the board in the below article I believe.

http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:4411&&highlight=6312

If anyone from the uk is interested I found this on ebay. (I am not the seller btw)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230541195243&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

As I said this keyboard is described as  clicky hammer on membrane switches, and although quite nice to type on, I find it awkward to use as the keys will only depress easily when pressed in the centre of the key, requiring a lot of pressure when pressed off-centre. (I am sure there is a technical term for this)

I also may be able to get my hands on a Cherry Electrical (G84-4100) board, is this worth looking at ?
« Last Edit: Sat, 23 October 2010, 08:18:57 by arc2 »

Offline 8_INCH_FLOPPY

« Reply #46 on: Sat, 23 October 2010, 01:01:44 »
The keyboard that is the "best bang for your buck" is the one you find at a garage sale/swap meet/ thrift store, decide you like the feel of, spend <$5 for , and don't have to clean up.  So far, I've only found 2 AT/usb/ps2 keyboards that I didn't have to spend 1+ hour(s) cleaning out, but they do exist.
Notable Switches I have tried:
black cherry, blue cherry, brown cherry, clear cherry, cherry M84, white alps, black alps, cream alps, Monterey blue alps, Fujitsu Peerless, Gateway2000 rubber dome, Keytronic rubber dome, Model M buckling spring, Model F buckling spring, futaba, black space invader

================================================
HAPPY HUNTING
================================================

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
« Reply #47 on: Sat, 23 October 2010, 06:37:49 »
Quote from: arc2;237573
Also I have a viglen tw-6312 keyboard which although not fully mechanical still produces a clicky type noise on typing.

Similar to the board in the below article I believe.

Could easily be a rebrand.
As I said this keyboard is described as  clicky hammer on membrane switches, and although quite nice to type on, I find it awkward to use as the keys will only depress easily when pressed in the centre of the key, requiring a lot of pressure when pressed off-centre. (I am sure there is a technical term for this)

My Alcatel Acer with the older black mechanisms does not do that. If they are anything like real Alps, the most likely reason would be dust inside that causes increased friction.
I also may be able to get my hands on a Cherry Electrical (G84-4100) board, is this worth looking at ?

ML switches aren't bad, similar to browns but a bit rougher, with less travel and increased friction upon off-center presses. Their biggest problem is the kind of boards they are used in, typically compact layouts like the G84-4100 which tend to feel cramped.