Author Topic: keyboard without number pad  (Read 3751 times)

Offline trav

keyboard without number pad
« on: Tue, 11 January 2011, 12:30:40 »
For my next keyboard I'd like to find one that does not have a number pad.
This part of the keyboard is annoying to me since it pushes my mouse further to the right. Additionally it moves the home row off center from where you sit.

My hunch is that by getting rid of the number pad I can have the home row directly in front of me and my mouse within closer reach.

The only decent keyboard i've found so far is the Microsoft Arc. But i'd hate to go wireless, and I'm not a microsoft lover.

Bonus points for you if you find one that has full sized keys for Esc, and Insert, and does not have a Windows Start key (I'm a unix and linux user)

Any advice? Or what search terms should I be using?

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 11 January 2011, 12:47:51 »
While it doesn't help with the mouse whatsoever, I always set up my keyboard with the G and H keys centered with my main monitor.  That'll fix one problem; the Tenkeyless will fix another.

Not that this applies to the OP, but it's amazing how many people line up the center of the keyboard to the monitor and the "revelation" they have when they slide it over a little so the G and H is centered.

Offline trav

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 11 January 2011, 12:51:15 »
"Not that this applies to the OP, but it's amazing how many people line up the center of the keyboard to the monitor and the "revelation" they have when they slide it over a little so the G and H is centered. "

Yes you have it correct, and I just had this revelation today. So sad for me. Anyways, i'm glad there is a community that is helping educate people about these topics.

Thanks for the info, and keep up the great stuff you are all doing.

Offline bakageta

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 11 January 2011, 23:37:48 »
It depends, if I'm doing heavy typing, I'll line up G and H with the center of my monitor, but if I'm gaming or just browsing around, I'll line things up so WASD and my mouse are about the same distance from the center. It puts F9/F10 near the middle of my monitor, with a tenkeyless...

As for a keyboard without a numberpad, as long as you don't mind mechanical prices, there are quite a few options, you've got stuff like the PLU ML-87 at the cheap end, moving to Ducky, Leopold and Filco as the more expensive, and all the way up to the Realforce 86U / 87U at the high end. You can get a variety of different switches, everyone has their own personal favorite, so take some time, read through the wiki, and if possible, try some out in person.

Personally, I use a Filco tenkeyless with Cherry MX browns, but I also have a PLU ML-87 on the way, just to take a look at it. The ML-87 should run you under $100 shipped, and while it's lacking NKRO, it does supposedly have a fairly well optimized matrix for gaming around WASD. USB, with 3 options of switches, in black or white, and with or without key labels... Decisions, decisions... ;)

Offline trav

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 12 January 2011, 19:09:19 »
Decided to go with: http://www.evoluent.com/kb1.html
Work wont allow me to get anything to exotic on their dime.
If removing the keypad works really well then I'll be researching a mechanical one for home