Author Topic: Where to find alternative Cherry MX caps lock and space bar  (Read 1956 times)

Offline TommySprat

Where to find alternative Cherry MX caps lock and space bar
« on: Tue, 29 March 2011, 12:00:34 »
I've been lurking this forum for a few months and eventually decided to go for the Xarmor u9bl-s. I quite like it but there are two things that prevent me from enjoying the keyboard to the fullest.

The most important key is caps lock. I have been using a G110 for 2 years and only noticed the importance of the stepped caps lock key AFTER i replaced it with the Xarmor. Thanks to gaming my entire life, my neutral hand position on the keyboard is WASD (even when typing an essay or something) and the stepped caps lock key was an excellent landmark on the keyboard for positioning my hand. I really want to avoid making a frankenstein key myself if there is some way I can get a nearly perfect replacement somewhere else. I know skcheng made a frankenstein one and I'm jealous of him.

Secondly I think the spacebar is too high. The G110 has a sloped spacebar with the lower end on the side nearest to your body. That turned out to be way more ergonomic than the wall of china miniature that is my current spacebar. So where do i get a replacement spacebar that's at least lower than a centimeter?

Before posting this I thought very hard by myself if this isn't just some sort of "homesickness" towards my old keyboard but I believe that that is not the case.

Offline TommySprat

Where to find alternative Cherry MX caps lock and space bar
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 31 March 2011, 13:58:21 »
I solved the spacebar problem! I found this article about reversing the spacebar to prevent it from digging into your thumbs Filco Majestouch - Sore Thumbs? Try reversing the space bar!.
I reported in that thread with some images so take a look at my post in that thread if you're interested Reversing the spacebar on the Xarmor U9BL-S

The only thing that remains now is the caps-lock key. I realized my keyboard came with orange WASD keys which I do not intend to use so i could amputate those stems and put them on a scavenged key. Is there any chance that they will be available in an eventual next group buy?