Author Topic: Difference Between KBC Poker & KBT Pure  (Read 16253 times)

Offline Guillairmo

Difference Between KBC Poker & KBT Pure
« on: Wed, 08 August 2012, 01:39:57 »
So I'm interested in buying a compact/minimalistic keyboard and obviously the KBC Poker and KBT Pure are both very similar boards. I am wondering if there are any differences between the two, but from what I can tell the only difference is that the Pure has backlighting. I also have noticed that finding a Poker specifically with red switches is pretty difficult, but I can find plenty of Pures. Does this mean that the Poker has some sort of upper hand on the Pure that I am not aware of? Perhaps better build quality or a better layout?

Offline Hzza

Re: Difference Between KBC Poker & KBT Pure
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 08 August 2012, 02:54:04 »
They both have different function layers (Poker has arrows on WASD, Pure has them on OKL; for example) and the Pure has an extra key to the right of the right hand shift key. Pure's also don't suffer the PCB flex Pokers do and the case feels more solid and not as cheap (I've owned both so thats just IMO). Also, as you've said, some Pure's have backlighting as well. Poker's are EOL which is also why they are harder to get hold of.

Offline Guillairmo

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 08 August 2012, 03:39:37 »
That clears up a lot of things, however, concerning the PCB flex on the Poker can this be eliminated by buying an aluminium/metal case? And since you own both would you suggest buying a stock Pure (no backlighting) over a Poker?

Offline Hzza

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 08 August 2012, 03:52:19 »
Don't know, but buying a $100 case to fix a design flaw in a $80 keyboard seems a bit silly. I tried fixing it by padding the case with foam sheets, it worked a bit, but I could still notice it flexing.

As for the Pure/Poker, it's down to personal choice, I'd look at the layout and see which looks better to you. Bear in mind that the Pure has a short right shift which might make finding replacement keycaps a bit more difficult (most GB's include the short right shift these days, but usually for extra cost).

Another thing to consider is the modabiltiy of the Pure; there is only 1 switch mounted LED (on the FN key) on the Pure (there are 6/7 on the Poker) which means you can switch change the entire board without desoldering any switches. This was a massive bonus to me (and totally unexpected, I can't believe nobody has mentioned it yet) as I like to change switches quite a lot. I was able to change my entire board from reds to clears in about half an hour.

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 08 August 2012, 21:07:19 »
I prefer the function layer on the Poker myself.
Layout: Colemak
Fastest typing speed: 131 WPM on typeracer, 136 WPM on 10fastfingers.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.
Ergo keyboards: Truly Ergonomic, Kinesis Advantage, Ergodox

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 08 August 2012, 21:18:30 »
And the Race?
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline Hzza

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 09 August 2012, 06:57:19 »
The Race is more like a Noppoo in that it has a dedicated F-key row and an additional column on the right hand side as well as dedicated arrow keys. I think all Races have backlighting as well, but I'm not sure on that.

Offline Guillairmo

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 09 August 2012, 14:13:33 »
I was looking at some pictures of the Pure compared to the Poker and I saw that the Pure has somewhat of a low cut case? It looks like the Pure's case is more of like a thin border compared to the Poker... not sure if that describes it accurately, but does it look different in real life?

Edit:
For example in this picture: http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=131
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 August 2012, 14:19:49 by Guillairmo »

Offline Hzza

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 09 August 2012, 14:47:32 »
I think that's just the angle of the picture, I didn't have both at the same time to do a direct comparison but I'd say that they were similar, if not identical in profile. The Pure case does have an extra screw hole and (I think) an extra ridge at the back for the PCB to rest on.

Offline bisl

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 09 August 2012, 16:01:22 »
Hzza: your input here is invaluable! You mentioned an extra key on the Pure, to the right of the r-shift--what's that for?

edit: oh, using browser zoom it looks like that's the grave key, which makes sense considering the Esc key displaces it on these boards.
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 August 2012, 16:07:30 by bisl »

Offline Hzza

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 09 August 2012, 16:27:58 »
Yeah, it's also the menu key on the FN layer.

Offline Guillairmo

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 09 August 2012, 23:08:22 »
http://www.vendio.com/stores/E-sports-Gaming-equipments/item/shop-mechanical-keyboard-by-br/kbt-pure-mechanical-keyboard-c/lid=31427384

I just placed an order for a KBT Pure off of ^ website with cherry red switches and a set of PBT keycaps as well. Thanks for all of the information Hzza so I could make an educated choice  ;D.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 10 August 2012, 02:23:23 »
That is a good choice! You should especially like the PBT keycaps.

Offline Guillairmo

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 10 August 2012, 02:38:31 »
Thank you! This will be a first for PBT keycaps and Red switches for me. Definitely anxious to see how everything turns out.

Offline bisl

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 13 August 2012, 17:20:34 »
Guillairmo, I think I'm probably going to use taht exact same link you just posted...awesome.

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 13 August 2012, 21:50:02 »
The pure has phenomenal build quality as well. I wasn't disappointed. No flex in both the PCB or the plastic frame.
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline bisl

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 01:34:35 »
Having never owned a poker: what exactly happens when the PCB flexes? Does it warp the case or something? Maybe the keys don't register properly or something?

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 10:49:40 »
No, the flex just refers to, if you press down on the keys in one area, do you feel the keys dipping almost. Like if you were actually bending the pcb underneath. Over time this could cause problems, but as of now it just proves that the build quality of the cases and the 3 screw mounting of the poker is sub par,
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline Guillairmo

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 21:59:59 »
I just received the keyboard today, popped on the PBT keycaps... and man I LOVE this thing! I truly believe cherry mx red is now my favorite cherry switch (although i haven't tried clears or blacks). Some people may say that cherry red is not the best for typing, but in my opinion it is just a better version of mx browns. My brother also digged it so much when he saw it he asked if I could order another one for him :O

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 22:25:29 »
I just received the keyboard today, popped on the PBT keycaps... and man I LOVE this thing! I truly believe cherry mx red is now my favorite cherry switch (although i haven't tried clears or blacks). Some people may say that cherry red is not the best for typing, but in my opinion it is just a better version of mx browns. My brother also digged it so much when he saw it he asked if I could order another one for him :O
Red can be pretty awesome for typing, if you don't bottom out. If you can float your hands on the keys (Sort of like with ML, now that I think of it), then it's actually quite nice.

Also, PBT is FTW.

Offline Guillairmo

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 16 August 2012, 00:40:47 »
I have a slight problem with one of the "caps lock" key on the keyboard. The switch registers perfectly while I am using the keyboard, however the caps lock key has like a little nitch in it I guess i could say. The key sort of pops up after I press it. Kind of like the switch gets stuck at the top of it's keypress... Not sure if that explains it buy yea.. I'm using cherry reds btw

Offline bisl

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 21 August 2012, 13:51:37 »
Just got my Pure today, and I noticed something a little strange--all the keycaps seem to be completely fused to the keyboard. So much so, in fact, that I can see the board flex as I pull up on the cap. I have accordingly discontinued attempts to remove my windows keys.

Is this normal for the Pure?

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 21 August 2012, 22:17:15 »
I have a slight problem with one of the "caps lock" key on the keyboard. The switch registers perfectly while I am using the keyboard, however the caps lock key has like a little nitch in it I guess i could say. The key sort of pops up after I press it. Kind of like the switch gets stuck at the top of it's keypress... Not sure if that explains it buy yea.. I'm using cherry reds btw
I would try hitting it a bunch, and seeing if it loosens up. Do you have a clean air compressor, or a can of compressed air you can blow it out with?

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 21 August 2012, 22:46:48 »
I found a description of the Poker Fn layer here.
However, I can't find a description of the Pure anywhere.  EDIT: found here

At the moment, it seems that the Poker is much more flexible with the various lock modes.  The arrows are important.  I can't imagine trying to hold the function key down while still using okl; to arrow around.
EDIT: Looks like the Pure does support the arrows on Shift/Win/Menu/Ctrl.  I still like the poker layer better.
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 August 2012, 23:40:09 by metalliqaz »

Offline mars-bar-man

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 14:51:43 »
Thought I'd post in here, save making a new thread.

Can anyone tell me if the layout of the PCB between the Pure and the Poker are the same? Not fussed about the actual soldering, I'm wondering about the positioning of the switches on the underside and the USB port on the back, if they're in the same place?

Looking to buy a trebl318 case for the Poker, and I'm wondering if my Pure will fit.
KBC Poker w. MX Blues

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 15:31:52 »
No.  Check around the area of the right shift.

Offline mars-bar-man

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 15:37:16 »
I know that's not the same, it's the location of the USB port and switches underneath that I'm asking about.
KBC Poker w. MX Blues

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 16:23:21 »
Yes, it should fit just fine. Pokers and Pures have their screws in the same positions, with the Pure having an extra one in the middle that you would simply not use inside of a case designed for a Poker.
Layout: Colemak
Fastest typing speed: 131 WPM on typeracer, 136 WPM on 10fastfingers.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.
Ergo keyboards: Truly Ergonomic, Kinesis Advantage, Ergodox

Offline mars-bar-man

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 16:29:10 »
Thanks man!
KBC Poker w. MX Blues

Offline sordna

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 13:00:11 »
Just got my Pure today, and I noticed something a little strange--all the keycaps seem to be completely fused to the keyboard. So much so, in fact, that I can see the board flex as I pull up on the cap. I have accordingly discontinued attempts to remove my windows keys.

Is this normal for the Pure?

I'm noticing the same thing on the Poker, but it's easy to work around: When pulling keycaps, just make sure to push down a couple of neighboring keys, and this will avoid the PCB from pending upward. On my poker it seemed to me the PCB might crack if I didn't do this!
I would say it's normal for a keyboard with so few mount points and no metal plate to bend this way, unfortunately, but again, you only notice it when you pull caps (not during normal use), and it's easy to work around.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard