geekhack Community > Input Devices

Are volume knobs useful? (on input devices)

(1/8) > >>

Findecanor:
Are volume knobs useful?

I mean, are they really much better than having buttons for volume up, down and mute?
Is there much need for adjusting volume more than one or two steps at a time?

Also, does anybody here use a rotary encoder on their kit keyboard for something else than a volume knob?

Coreda:
I wouldn't use speakers without one since I set them to a higher volume then reduce the volume of other audio on the system. Sometimes I'll need a rapid volume adjustment and nothing beats a quick analog movement there. They're also useful on laptops, however the pots are more prone to accumulating dust/debris.

For anything I have complete control over though, such as ReplayGain'd audio playing on an audio player I've set to a certain volume level it would be less necessary since the output is completely predictable and only smaller adjustments are used typically.

nelamvr6:
I really prefer an analog knob to buttons.

romevi:
I much prefer them for volume since I can get the perfect volume and they work as soon as I turn them.

Findecanor:

--- Quote from: Coreda on Fri, 19 July 2019, 06:42:16 ---I wouldn't use speakers without one since I set them to a higher volume then reduce the volume of other audio on the system. Sometimes I'll need a rapid volume adjustment and nothing beats a quick analog movement there.
--- End quote ---
I'm sorry. I should have told better that I was really asking specifically for input devices, such as on the corners of keyboards, not speakers.
Then there are separate volume knob devices, and then there are generic "dial" style of devices that can be used for multiple things.

A speaker should have a precise volume control that is easy to use, absolutely. But when you have set it once, initially, do you then need to adjust often using the analogue knob?
With a PC's volume control, there is often at least one slider inside the system for setting volume, which could serve for that initial setting.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version