Author Topic: What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?  (Read 606605 times)

Offline osi

Re: What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?
« Reply #250 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 09:47:53 »
I've been using i3 for over a year now, and I love it.

However, I do miss having a set amount of workspaces that I can just flit through.
That's kinda why I miss WMFS 1 so much.

i3 with WMFS 1's  panel would be the bee's knees.

i3 can be configured to launch a set amount of workspaces upon login. Of course you could always spawn new entities later.

To cycle :

# prev/next workspace
bindsym Mod1+Shift+Left workspace prev_on_output
bindsym Mod1+Shift+Right workspace next_on_output

Offline hjkl_over_wasd

« Reply #251 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 10:33:38 »
Gentoo? psssshhh....

Show Image

Lol, great strip. In all seriousness though, vim masterrace reporting in.

In the terminal vim is king. I usually use sublime text otherwise (but that's off topic)
If you know Vim, Vim is king no matter where. Nothing has even come close to mimic the modal editing scheme in Vim that allows for ninja editing powers.

On topic: Slackware 14.1 on workstation, laptop and server.
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 May 2014, 16:23:41 by hjkl_over_wasd »

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #252 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 13:55:57 »
I've been using i3 for over a year now, and I love it.

However, I do miss having a set amount of workspaces that I can just flit through.
That's kinda why I miss WMFS 1 so much.

i3 with WMFS 1's  panel would be the bee's knees.

$mod+[1-9] ? i3 should just create a workspace as necessary

You can even name 'em: http://i3wm.org/docs/userguide.html#workspace_screen
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 May 2014, 13:57:32 by daerid »

Offline iri

« Reply #253 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 14:28:12 »
^ congrats on 4000 posts, fellow vimitizen.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline hydrospell

• * Destiny Supporter
  • some keyboard thing
    • octobrain
« Reply #254 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 15:20:24 »
^ congrats on 4000 posts, fellow vimian.

FTFY ... ? 

Anyway.. Arch linux + vim + xmonad for me.
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 May 2014, 15:28:20 by hydrospell »
⌨ Filco MJ2 MX Blues / M0116 Orange Alps / Homemade 60% MX Reds / M0110

Cherry MX art prints 20/50 still available!

Offline brainT

« Reply #255 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 17:31:51 »
Does anyone have any experience with Antergos?  I plan on dong a straight Arch install when I have the time for but I would like to get a little experience with something Arch based before jumping in.  Putting the time in to install it only to find I loath it isn't all that appealing.

Offline roaduck

« Reply #256 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 22:10:53 »
I'm using Arch at home and Ubuntu at work.

Whats the general GH Linux concensus?

i`ve got some sort of Linux in virtual box on my Windows Tiny XP Pro 3 desktop - it`s on something called dualtrust from a site called deepnet security.It`s a browser inside a sandbox not a sandbox inside a browser like normal lol!

http://www.deepnetsecurity.com/products/dualtrust/.

I also use WhiteHat Aviator browser on Windows which is a very secure browser.

https://www.whitehatsec.com/aviator/

My windows is so locked down with script blockers etc, I`ve not had any viruses or malware for 7  years and I have no anti-virus proggies on it.....I know my onions; I do online cloud scans with Panda. I`ve been doin `puters a long time; since 1980.

Literally in the last few days I set up an ASUS K53E lapdog with dual boot Win 7 Ultimate 64 and Linux Zorin OS8 - 32 bit.

http://zorin-os.com/

I have used live distros before like Knoppix 5.3 so I know a bit but am currently loving Zorin.I love the speed and the power of it.

« Last Edit: Sat, 31 May 2014, 22:13:17 by roaduck »
BS : IBM 1391406
Other keyboards - don\'t ask

Offline esko997

• Linux Lover
« Reply #257 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 22:15:41 »
Literally in the last few days I set up an ASUS K53E lapdog with dual boot Win 7 Ultimate 64 and Linux Zorin OS8 - 32 bit.

I have used live distros before like Knoppix 5.3 so I know a bit but am currently loving Zorin.I love the speed and the power of it.

Never heard of this, definitely going to check it out. Does it use the standard Linux kernel? Is it based on another distro?

EDIT: Looks like an Ubuntu derivative.
« Last Edit: Sat, 31 May 2014, 22:17:31 by esko997 »
Daily Drivers:  Unicomp Customizer (BS -- Linux Layout) | Vortex Race 3 (Clears)
Other Boards: CM Quickfire Stealth (Greens) | Poker II (Blues) | PLU-ML 87 (Ergo Clears)  | JD40 (Browns) | Leopold FC660C (Topre) | IBM Model M | ErgoDox (Clears) | Sentraq s60x DIY (Blacks) | Anne Pro 2 (Blues) | Cherry G80-11900 (Blacks) | Kira (99 Key) (Hako True)

Offline roaduck

« Reply #258 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 22:50:42 »

Never heard of this, definitely going to check it out. Does it use the standard Linux kernel? Is it based on another distro?

[/quote]

Yeah I think it`s Ubuntu - I tried that in the past and it was very buggy so I gave Zorin a whirl.So far it`s tickerty boo.I`m just getting my head around it.The terminal and sudo and root commands etc.Not done that for ages.I`m so rusty.You can get Zorin from a live CD and try it first.Just boot from the Live CD first.Press F2, F12 or delete every second when you start your lapdog/desktop up from power off.

Windows has 8 versions - wow - Linux only has 600 and odd LOL! Now my red lapdog is dual-boot and breathed on with Zorin Linux I`m gonna stay on it to get the feel of it esko997.I even installed Opera 12.15 on and imported 40000 bookmarks and it`s lovin it.The lapdog is only a tiny intel dual core 1.5 GIG chip but it has 8 GB memory.I`m gonna upgrade the chip to an "I5" or "I7" somat as well soon; if the motherboard and fan have room and are compatible and the bios can handle it with a flash.

If you do download it and install it esko997 make sure you give it a password you can remember and also do not forget to tick auto log on otherwise you can't access root for authentication to install proggies etc for some unknown reason.
« Last Edit: Sat, 31 May 2014, 23:13:01 by roaduck »

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #259 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 23:26:19 »

Yeah I think it`s Ubuntu - I tried that in the past and it was very buggy so I gave Zorin a whirl.So far it`s tickerty boo.I`m just getting my head around it.The terminal and sudo and root commands etc.Not done that for ages.I`m so rusty.You can get Zorin from a live CD and try it first.Just boot from the Live CD first.Press F2, F12 or delete every second when you start your lapdog/desktop up from power off.

Windows has 8 versions - wow - Linux only has 600 and odd LOL! Now my red lapdog is dual-boot and breathed on with Zorin Linux I`m gonna stay on it to get the feel of it esko997.I even installed Opera 12.15 on and imported 40000 bookmarks and it`s lovin it.The lapdog is only a tiny intel dual core 1.5 GIG chip but it has 8 GB memory.I`m gonna upgrade the chip to an "I5" or "I7" somat as well soon; if the motherboard and fan have room and are compatible and the bios can handle it with a flash.

If you do download it and install it esko997 make sure you give it a password you can remember and also do not forget to tick auto log on otherwise you can't access root for authentication to install proggies etc for some unknown reason.
[/quote]

Highly doubt you'll be able to do such a dramatic h/w upgrade for a laptop
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline roaduck

« Reply #260 on: Sun, 01 June 2014, 02:37:12 »
The ASUS K53 series has the same motherboard and the same size case with the small Centrino chips all the way up to the big i7`s...I`ve done more radical upgrades than that; that`s just a BIOS tweak to me...replace chip/fan...screw the back back on.....problem sol-ved lol! I can take a 15 year old HP workstation, breathe on it and make it as fast as my mate`s £1300 Samsung netbook.I can do things that my local PC shop says is impossible to accomplish... I`ve been doing `puters a while - since 1980 - over 34 years; I`m 48 now.

My computer tutor was called Martin and he was a Cambridge educated professor who worked for ICL - the British version of IBM and he was a polyglot and an undoubted polymath.
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 June 2014, 02:50:11 by roaduck »

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #261 on: Sun, 01 June 2014, 09:23:19 »
I somehow read that you were trying to upgrade from core2 to i5/i7, my mistake. I stand corrected.

E: £1300 netbook? Thought the point of netbooks was to be cheap and low-power. Most expensive netbook I recall ever seeing was $200 or so.

« Last Edit: Sun, 01 June 2014, 09:25:19 by user 18 »
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline Flamingchook

• There are no dumb questions, only forbidden ones.
« Reply #262 on: Sun, 01 June 2014, 18:34:55 »
I spent 3 hours trying to get my third monitor working under Mint again, something that worked out of the box but isn't working now because I made the mistake of switching to my ps3 on that monitor using a KVM switch. The third monitor has been disabled ever since and I have no idea how to fix it. I spent ages trying to get it going using the Nvidia X-Config tool and trying to get Xinerama working... All I managed to do was get Cinnamon to crash on start-up...
MX: Filco Majestouch Metalic Blue 104-key w/ MX Brown, JD40 w/ MX Green, ErgoDox w/ MX Blue, GHPad w/ MX Blue. Topre: Realforce 87U 45g. BS: IBM Model M 52G9700 29-OCT-93
Soon™: GH60 w/ 62g MX Clear, [CTRL]ALT 60 w/ MX Green

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #263 on: Sun, 01 June 2014, 18:38:55 »
I've never used a KVM, I always just switch inputs. I find it simpler. Not sure why it would have broken though. Intel/AMD/nvidia?

Offline Flamingchook

« Reply #264 on: Sun, 01 June 2014, 19:13:19 »
I'm running 2x Nvidia GTX 560Ti's.

Essentially a monitor has been "unplugged" while the system was running and it's fallen back to TwinView instead of Xinerama (at least that's what it looks like). I'm a complete Linux newbie so there might have been a simple fix... I really have no idea what I'm doing. :p
MX: Filco Majestouch Metalic Blue 104-key w/ MX Brown, JD40 w/ MX Green, ErgoDox w/ MX Blue, GHPad w/ MX Blue. Topre: Realforce 87U 45g. BS: IBM Model M 52G9700 29-OCT-93

Offline esko997

• Linux Lover
« Reply #265 on: Sun, 01 June 2014, 19:20:39 »
I'm running 2x Nvidia GTX 560Ti's.

Essentially a monitor has been "unplugged" while the system was running and it's fallen back to TwinView instead of Xinerama (at least that's what it looks like). I'm a complete Linux newbie so there might have been a simple fix... I really have no idea what I'm doing. :p

Try using arandr (sudo apt-get install arandr). My monitors are also really derpy and this little GUI for xrandr works great for me
Daily Drivers:  Unicomp Customizer (BS -- Linux Layout) | Vortex Race 3 (Clears)
Other Boards: CM Quickfire Stealth (Greens) | Poker II (Blues) | PLU-ML 87 (Ergo Clears)  | JD40 (Browns) | Leopold FC660C (Topre) | IBM Model M | ErgoDox (Clears) | Sentraq s60x DIY (Blacks) | Anne Pro 2 (Blues) | Cherry G80-11900 (Blacks) | Kira (99 Key) (Hako True)

Offline Flamingchook

« Reply #266 on: Sun, 01 June 2014, 19:30:54 »
I'll try that. Thanks!

Edit: arandr is a pretty cool little program, however it doesn't really fix my issue because the third monitor is still disabled and doesn't show up in arandr...

I have no idea what to do. Maybe I'll just reinstall.
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 June 2014, 20:13:25 by Flamingchook »

Offline roaduck

« Reply #267 on: Sun, 01 June 2014, 20:44:51 »
I somehow read that you were trying to upgrade from core2 to i5/i7, my mistake. I stand corrected.

E: £1300 netbook? Thought the point of netbooks was to be cheap and low-power. Most expensive netbook I recall ever seeing was $200 or so.

A friend has an all singing/all dancing Samsung with internal SSD etc...you can get really top-end netbooks...well over $2000.

As for my ASUS, I got it because it was solid, reliable and easy to upgrade; It can support Centrino dual-core all the way upto i7 2410 and beyond...obviously it`ll eat batteries like crazy then and the bios will have to be reconfigured or flashed...the option is there user 18.

One thing about `puters...I am always learning...you have to be very patient and have an open mind.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #268 on: Sun, 01 June 2014, 21:08:41 »

A friend has an all singing/all dancing Samsung with internal SSD etc...you can get really top-end netbooks...well over $2000.

As for my ASUS, I got it because it was solid, reliable and easy to upgrade; It can support Centrino dual-core all the way upto i7 2410 and beyond...obviously it`ll eat batteries like crazy then and the bios will have to be reconfigured or flashed...the option is there user 18.

One thing about `puters...I am always learning...you have to be very patient and have an open mind.

I was confused because I thought you were upgrading from one architecture to another -- which would require different chipset and so on. If it's the same socket and chipset (Sandy to Sandy for that model #, I believe), it may be difficult but I don't see any technical reason it couldn't be done. Like I said, I stand corrected.

In terms of netbook, the paradigm is low cost, low power and small size at the expense of performance. An ultrabook is the evolution of a netbook, where modern CPU architectures allow increased performance in the same physical size and power envelope, albeit with higher cost.

It may be that the only difference is in terminology, and that's why we're misunderstanding each other, but that's no reason to talk down to me. It may not be intentional, but that's sure what it feels like.

Offline blackbox

« Reply #269 on: Sun, 01 June 2014, 23:55:44 »
In terms of netbook, the paradigm is low cost, low power and small size at the expense of performance. An ultrabook is the evolution of a netbook, where modern CPU architectures allow increased performance in the same physical size and power envelope, albeit with higher cost.
I was also confused because of the terminology. As said Its a small ultrabook if it is in that price range. Netbooks mostly used intel atoms or processors that preformed similarly.

Wikipedia:
Netbooks are a category of small, lightweight, legacy-free, and inexpensive computers.
Hope this ends the misunderstanding of the word :)
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline Kayla

• :3
« Reply #270 on: Sun, 01 June 2014, 23:56:28 »
I use Arch and Debian. .-.

Offline bexleycorona

« Reply #271 on: Mon, 02 June 2014, 00:59:44 »
I used to use Ubuntu then switched to Mint. Now I'm using Xubuntu on my laptop.

GE Marquette | Rosewill RK-9000 | Rosewill Apollo 9100 | Realforce 87U "EK Edition" 45g Uniform | Unicomp Ultra Classic Black Buckling Spring | Realforce 87U SE07T0 Variable | Dolch PAC65

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #272 on: Mon, 02 June 2014, 01:14:44 »
Update on my Ubuntu server: Something's wrong with the boot disk. Badly wrong.

System doesn't know what 'ls', 'sudo', 'su' mean. 'cd' still works for whatever reason.

Drive was flaky to begin with, so perhaps I'll just try again with a better quality HDD.

Offline iri

« Reply #273 on: Mon, 02 June 2014, 05:42:58 »
Update on my Ubuntu server: Something's wrong with the boot disk. Badly wrong.

System doesn't know what 'ls', 'sudo', 'su' mean. 'cd' still works for whatever reason.

Drive was flaky to begin with, so perhaps I'll just try again with a better quality HDD.
`ls`, `sudo` and `su` are all programs, which, in your case, seem to be on an inaccessible partition.

`cd` is a shell command and not a program.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline blackbox

« Reply #274 on: Mon, 02 June 2014, 06:49:24 »
How is your /bin doing? try execute something in that folder.
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #275 on: Mon, 02 June 2014, 11:38:59 »
It's not that the partition is inaccessible, it's that it's getting physical read errors trying to find the programs. It won't even boot anymore. Going to boot from a liveusb and see what kind of errors I get on the drive.

Offline blackbox

« Reply #276 on: Mon, 02 June 2014, 12:37:01 »
Yup sounds like a god idea. Let us know what the result of the hdd test was.

The LAN table!

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #277 on: Mon, 02 June 2014, 12:41:43 »
Okay I officially have no idea what's going on anymore. Either I was tired and misinterpreting the errors I was getting (possible) or I have a magic box (significantly less possible).

No SMART errors on the drive, and it's booting just fine now. For lack of better ideas, going to stare at the terminal until something weird happens.

Offline linziyi

• The one with many questions
« Reply #278 on: Mon, 02 June 2014, 19:12:45 »
Gentoo master race.
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

"Much to learn you still have" --Yoda

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #279 on: Mon, 02 June 2014, 19:25:23 »
Something weird happened. There's a problem with the driver for my raid card. Prepping a different drive for a new install so I can free up the mobo ports I need to use native linux software raid instead.

Sticking with Ubuntu Server 12.04.4 though. Was pretty happy with how it worked, aside from the instability attributed to the bad driver, and it's flexible enough.

Never use a Highpoint card with linux, guys. They don't work.

Offline blackbox

« Reply #280 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 00:05:29 »
Never used a highpoint before but the integrated solutions in my rack server has worked well (hp smart array on hp dl380 g4 and 580 g2).

The LAN table!

Offline osi

« Reply #281 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 14:39:55 »
I've never used highpoint cards in a linux build -- they do however work great in Windows.

Supposedly, they do have linux support. From the site :

<clip>

We provide pre-compiled driver packages for several popular Linux distributions such as Red Hat, RH Enterprise, Fedora, SuSE. We also provide driver source code that can be used to build the driver on other Linux distributions, and kernel versions where a pre-compiled binary is not provided.
These drivers are posted on our website, under the support-BIOS+Driver update section for each host adapter product.

</clip>

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #282 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 15:25:35 »
I've never used highpoint cards in a linux build -- they do however work great in Windows.

<clip>

We provide pre-compiled driver packages for several popular Linux distributions such as Red Hat, RH Enterprise, Fedora, SuSE. We also provide driver source code that can be used to build the driver on other Linux distributions, and kernel versions where a pre-compiled binary is not provided.
These drivers are posted on our website, under the support-BIOS+Driver update section for each host adapter product.

</clip>

They have drivers all right. They have drivers for kernel versions 2.x, at least for all the cards I've seen. User-created patches exist for 3.x, but they aren't always completely stable. As far as I know, nobody's been able to get their administration tools working reliably under 3.x, even with patches.

I have no issue at all with highpoint's windows drivers.

Offline osi

« Reply #283 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 15:53:25 »

<clip>

</clip>

They have drivers all right. They have drivers for kernel versions 2.x, at least for all the cards I've seen. User-created patches exist for 3.x, but they aren't always completely stable. As far as I know, nobody's been able to get their administration tools working reliably under 3.x, even with patches.

I have no issue at all with highpoint's windows drivers.

I has a sad now. Thanks for the info

Offline jamesj223

« Reply #284 on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 09:28:01 »
I've been using Elementary OS on my laptop for about 6 months now. Absolutely loving it! It's a Dell XPS 13, everything working properly, no driver issues or anything. It's primarily for uni so it mainly gets used for web browsing, reading lecture slides and programming (anything from C to Python to Ruby to Haskell).

And I've got a Pi running pibang, set up as an automated TV/Movie torrent box. Not much to report on there really, everything more or less works.
Poker II MX Blues - Blank DSA Caps        Leopold FC200RT MX Clears

Offline brainT

« Reply #285 on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 21:32:57 »
I just put Openbox Antergos on my x61 and am liking it so far.  Going from apt-get to pacman is a little rough but I love the challenge of learning something new!

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #286 on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 23:27:23 »
I just put Openbox Antergos on my x61 and am liking it so far.  Going from apt-get to pacman is a little rough but I love the challenge of learning something new!

Tell us how it goes.  :)

Offline limecore

« Reply #287 on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 23:48:29 »
I have used ubuntu, arch, lmde and have tried gentoo in a VM
I end up switching between lmde and Arch all the time now (arch until I break something, then LMDE until I get time to fix arch)
Give me enough coffee, and a computer to code on and I can program anything

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #288 on: Sun, 15 June 2014, 08:15:31 »
I've been using Antergos for a week or two now, and so far I like it.

Offline brainT

« Reply #289 on: Sun, 15 June 2014, 17:57:55 »

Tell us how it goes.  :)

Going great so far but I'm sure I'll break something soon enough!  After I get more comfortable it I'll probably end up ditching Mint (Meh-int) on my other Thinkpad that I use for work. When that happens I'll probably do straight Arch on the x61 for the sake of learning the nuts and bolts of it all.

I've been using Antergos for a week or two now, and so far I like it.

I found the graphical installer to be easy enough to use and the out of the box experience is really nice. It's very close to my "ideal" environment that it won't take too much time to tweak to my tastes which is good 'cause time/energy is at a premium for me right now! I like almost anything that forces me to learn and figure stuff out, and having the Arch wiki to draw on is just great.

Offline Flamingchook

« Reply #290 on: Thu, 19 June 2014, 02:07:14 »
I've fallen back to WIndows 8.1 full time on my desktop so  decided to install ElementaryOS on my laptop. It's pretty snazzy so far and I'm enjoying it.

Offline Laiin

« Reply #291 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 01:31:41 »
Currently on windows (school computer)
But i normally use Arch and after using it i just cant seem to go back to anything else and enjoy it.
I do have alot of old computer which relatives/friends give me with all the "top" flavours on them, although they are not being used.

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #292 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 11:12:39 »
But i normally use Arch and after using it i just cant seem to go back to anything else and enjoy it.

Agreed. Maybe I am insane but I actually think it is easier to work with then most distributions - especially with the wealth of information on the wiki. If anything breaks then I have an idea of what caused it and know what files to look around in. When using RHEL for a server at work I realized I had no idea how to make sure PHP and MySQL were correctly configured with their fancy GUI. Personally the more "fluff" they put on a system the harder it is to get to the root of the issue. Like I said, maybe I am just crazy :P

Offline RED-404

« Reply #293 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 11:56:54 »
My server runs Arch Linux, according to my server host it runs Debian, but well a chroot, reinstall seems to have fixed that problem. :)

All my servers are named after demons.

Home
Desktop/HAF = Windows 8.1/Arch
Desktop2/Black Betty = Arch
Laptop/Space Heater = Arch
Chromebook/Meh = ChromeOS/Arch
Media PC/Perdy light box = Arch
Nas/Furcas = FreeBSD

Edit: Pointlessly added system names.
Edit2: I forgot about one I have an old P3 system in mineral oil running Gentoo overclocked to all hell doing nothing at all. The strangest thing about it, isn't the mineral oil or the Rubbermaid case or even sticking your hand in mineral oil to flip the switch on the PSU. It has VC150 memory not PC133.
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 July 2014, 12:33:20 by RED-404 »

Offline Bencze

« Reply #294 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 06:53:35 »
Wow I found this topic and thought I want to update my current status.

I still have my Centos running on HP miroserver n36l under my desk. Since about 3 years.
I also have an Ubuntu 14.04, been actively using it since about 3 weeks! By far the longest I ever went with Linux desktop. My current gaming habits probably enabled it as well, since I've been playing xcom which has this native linux port now, also playing Openttd which runs great as well. Some other stuff with Wine but I don't play a lot these days.
I am more familiar with Redhat but choose Ubuntu because I was hoping it's most mature for desktop stuff and better Steam compatibility.
I think Linux desktop concept is getting better and better, if steamos thingy succeeds we might see more and more native linux ports for games which will help a lot. I like alternatives and bored of Windows so yey...
-= QFR w/ mx blues - HPE87 w/ mx browns - Ducky 1087XM w/ green alps =-

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #295 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 07:02:32 »
Weird. I just got given Centos from a Unix course I was just on and I was thinking of getting rid of Win 7 on my laptop for Centos.

I quite liked moving around easily in the CLI, and I would just mess around when we weren't doing anything on the course.

Anybody got any tips for a relative newbie who has only had a 4 day Unix course to learn stuff?
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline osi

« Reply #296 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 07:17:32 »
Weird. I just got given Centos from a Unix course I was just on and I was thinking of getting rid of Win 7 on my laptop for Centos.

I quite liked moving around easily in the CLI, and I would just mess around when we weren't doing anything on the course.

Anybody got any tips for a relative newbie who has only had a 4 day Unix course to learn stuff?

Best tip to learn??--Keep using the os!

By saying that, simply use the computer as you normally would. This will naturally introduce you to other elements of the environment. Things like printing, watching online media, and document editing are things most of us to expect it to 'just work'. Often in the Linux world, "just working" is a phrase that is not tossed around easily.

The above is not meant to be a discouragement. The beauty you'll find is in the journey of learning a system and configuring it how you like it. After enough use, you may not consider having it any other way :)

Each flavor (distro) has its own unique set of pros and con's.  Dive in!  :thumb:

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #297 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 08:26:00 »
I do not use Linux because it doesn't natively run SimCity 2000.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline runcom

• Topre lover
« Reply #298 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 09:12:29 »
At work and at home Ubuntu, when I'm around I usually carry a laptop with Kali Linux :)
Don't be a dumbass, always be kind to people, here and afk

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #299 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 10:07:35 »
I do not use Linux because it doesn't natively run SimCity 2000.

But you can watch movies in glorious ASCII format!
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin