Author Topic: GB Site Updates & Upgrades  (Read 118640 times)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: GB Site Updates & Upgrades
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 14:37:41 »
PLEASE PLEEEASE release the SA-ROW-4-SHIFTS!

Seconded! SA definitely seems to be rising in popularity, and I suspect a little investment in the profile would pay off quickly.

-potatowire
Thirded - the money I could be spending on another cap set will be going to make a board with 1.75 and 1u shifts so they are the correct profile.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Nai_Calus

• * Destiny Supporter
  • CLACK
« Reply #51 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 01:50:29 »
In my opinion, the top-thickness of SA is wasted as the stem holder is flush with the keycap, so the keycap amplifies the sound rather than suppressing it (at the bottom out,
I had the chance to try SA keycaps lately, they just made me like DSA's more, especially sculptured SA's are extreme, row1 is almost 3x DSA's, no need for that much heft for no gain

No gain? You mean other than being a lot easier to use and better for your hands? DSA is awful, the flat profile makes you reach more for further keys and makes it harder to clear rows going up. All Row 3 SA isn't any better. Flat profiles are bad.

There have been far too many DSA sets lately and I hope they get given a rest for a while. It's an absolutely terrible profile.
- IBM 4704 Model F 107-key "Bertha"
Other boards: Kinesis Essential, Infinity(G.Clears), Ergodox(MX Blues), Monoprice 9433

Eternally searching for Celestial Blue BS V2 and blue/purple Bros.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #52 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 16:41:02 »
As most of you are aware, we have experienced many functional problems with the PMK website over the past year. This has not only been frustrating for you users but it has been equally frustrating for us as well. It’s time to make a change.

Over the next couple months we will be moving the site to a new platform. Hopefully this change will address the many frustrations you have experienced from lack of mobile access to simply checking out without any problems.

We also plan to make one major change to the site. The Interest Check and Group Buy format has been very successful, making some very creative designs available to a lot of people. Unfortunately we are seeing more and more of these great designs, many receiving hundreds of “like” votes, die during the 30-day Group Buy period. Under the new format we plan to still display designs in the Interest Check, but once they receive a certain number of “like” votes we will move the design into our production cue. Once produced, the sets will become available in our Key Shop where they can be purchased and shipped within days of ordering. This way you decide when to buy the keysets, minimizing the competition we are now seeing with so many new designs being launched at the same time. We would like to have at least 20 different custom designs available through our Key Shop.

And one more change. We plan to pay a 5% royalty on the net sales of each keyset design that is up for sale to the creator of the design. We feel the creative efforts that go into these keysets should be rewarded!

We thank you for your patience and support while we incorporate these changes. We also welcome any and all suggestions you may have on how to further improve the site.

This is such fantastic news. I think the changes go above and beyond any expectations I would have had regarding what needed to change.

It just makes so much more sense to be able to buy the keysets on a normal basis. I know so many sales have to be lost simply because potential buyers just don't have the extra money at the right moment to spend on a keyset. This new store seems to completely fix that issue. And having 20+ designs?! Terrible, terrible news for my wallet. Just awful news ;)
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline Data

« Reply #53 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 18:15:54 »
As most of you are aware, we have experienced many functional problems with the PMK website over the past year. This has not only been frustrating for you users but it has been equally frustrating for us as well. It’s time to make a change.

Over the next couple months we will be moving the site to a new platform. Hopefully this change will address the many frustrations you have experienced from lack of mobile access to simply checking out without any problems.

We also plan to make one major change to the site. The Interest Check and Group Buy format has been very successful, making some very creative designs available to a lot of people. Unfortunately we are seeing more and more of these great designs, many receiving hundreds of “like” votes, die during the 30-day Group Buy period. Under the new format we plan to still display designs in the Interest Check, but once they receive a certain number of “like” votes we will move the design into our production cue. Once produced, the sets will become available in our Key Shop where they can be purchased and shipped within days of ordering. This way you decide when to buy the keysets, minimizing the competition we are now seeing with so many new designs being launched at the same time. We would like to have at least 20 different custom designs available through our Key Shop.

And one more change. We plan to pay a 5% royalty on the net sales of each keyset design that is up for sale to the creator of the design. We feel the creative efforts that go into these keysets should be rewarded!

We thank you for your patience and support while we incorporate these changes. We also welcome any and all suggestions you may have on how to further improve the site.

Wow!  That's a significant change.  Honestly it sounds great.  Just some web site improvements would have been a huge step in the right direction.  This is game-changing!

Bravo!

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #54 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 18:17:42 »
Good news for me. Now I can definitely buy Danger Zone!

Offline codyeatworld

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #55 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 21:52:48 »
Looking forward to it! :D

Offline Supergeek

« Reply #56 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 06:02:16 »
This is great news!

Hopefully SP will make some better templates available for designers to use for quicker, easier mockups.  :thumb:

Offline TheCowGod

« Reply #57 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 13:06:12 »
Reading the posting on the site (http://www.pimpmykeyboard.com/a-new-pmk-is-on-its-way/), I see it mentions that, "Time permitting, we will re-run the sets that are in demand." Does that just mean sets produced with this new system going forward, or is it possible that previously-produced sets would be re-run as well? I've been searching for a used Eve set but there don't seem to be a whole lot of them out there, and the full sets in the PMK keyshop seem to be out of stock. Is there any chance that a set like that will be produced again?

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 02 June 2015, 01:08:43 »
Ok, but seriously now, with all of these (awesome) changes is there any thought going into a new name?
Perfect My Keyboard or
Pterodactyl (on) My Keyboard or
Not Pimp My Keyboard?
I mean, I see the name SPlady and not PMKlady, thats a good start!

On a more serious note, I think the "Commit at lowest price" is something that should be seriously considered, even if it does take a complete reworking. But this is of course depending on how the new site will run. Its a bit confusing as to if you will have sets that are popular and have the votes needed available all the time, or still do the traditional GB's.
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 June 2015, 01:11:27 by livingspeedbump »

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #59 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 04:23:30 »
The new site is better than the old, but still leaves a lot to be desired, IMO.

My suggestions for making the current system work well:

1. Add a clause that requires approval from the designer for each change to the design (more for peace of mind than anything else. It's too scary to give complete freedom to SP to change anything freely as it is stated in the current license). This will encourage more designers (particularly experienced ones) to add their sets.
2. Change the name of "Interest Checks" to "Pre-Order Requests" or something similar. It's not really an Interest Check in the traditional sense at that point in the set design / production process, it's a gathering preorder requests stage. It shows intent to buy, rather than just "Interest", and will prevent people just registering interest as opposed to genuine intent to buy. This will give you more accurate demand figures.
3. Run the pre-order requests for a set period of time (three weeks seems about right to me, but two weeks may be enough) to gather accurate demand figures (which are comparable between designs since they run the same length of time) and allow people time to register their intent to buy, rather than up to certain figure.
4. Add between 30% and 50% to the pre-order request numbers for the first production batch. This overproduction will help to meet the increase in demand you inevitably get from people who missed the pre-order stage and those who miss the traditional first GB run of many sets. Some sets (like Carbon) could even support a 100% production increase. There are already more than 500 new requests for Massdrop to rerun the design and it hasn't even finished production of the first run. Demand will only rise once photos of the actual caps get posted, this happens in pretty much all GB's I have participated in.

And my suggestions for turning PMK into the ULTIMATE keycap set marketplace:

1. Add a clause in the designer license that design / legend changes require the designer's approval.
2. Turn the "IC" into an actual (pre)order page with "commit at this price tier" functionality for kits and a fallback option for those that don't make MOQ (something like "If this kit does not make MOQ, I would like to add this kit to my order: ". This is great for supporting individual ISO kits for example, with a fallback generic ISO kit).
3. Make extra sets (the number proportional to the GB orders as mentioned above in item number 4) which then go up on the site for purchase at the same price as the GB.
4. Add a "bring back this set" voting page for sold out sets, with no time limit, but with older votes being reduced in value (so a two month old vote will be equal to half a new vote, say, to match likelihood of someone who voted so long ago actually purchasing). When enough votes accumulate (say 150 or so) make a new batch of that set.

That way, the sets will have the largest availability and lowest price and designers don't get their designs mangled.

To show this post is not coming from a total noob with no clue and to show that I'm invested in Signature Plastics and want them to succeed:
More
I am a designer with a set in IC stage (Classic Space) which we'll run through SP, I'm developing a font for SA profile and will run a fundraiser to support getting the molds made. I'm developing specification documents detailing legend limitations, profile options, etc. to help designers choose options and prepare their designs for production by SP. SP has the best and most varied options for designers (colours, profiles, materials, legend options, etc) and that makes them the first choice when designing keycap sets.
These are the SP sets I currently own:
Nostalgia
Cherry Legend Replicas (Smallfry set)
Penumbra with Solarized alphas
PuLSE SA
Nuclear Data
Hack'd by Geeks
Retro SA
Jukebox
These I have ordered:
Carbon
Danger Zone
These I plan to order when they become available:
Green Screen

And yeah, no offense meant, but the name sucks. The primary SP keyset buyer is not Xzibit or the tasteless crowd who like getting their s**t pimped. SP makes high quality, tasteful keycap sets (in general) that deserve to be sold on a site with a matchingly tasteful name.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #60 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 12:45:11 »
Hello... anyone here?

Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #61 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 13:23:50 »
Hello... anyone here?

Show Image

Show Image

I am. Hear, hear!

+1
Daily Driver: Typist A w/Midnight Dawn | Kailh BOX Clicks

Junktown 2: Now on eBay!

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #62 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 13:29:22 »
The new site is better than the old, but still leaves a lot to be desired, IMO.

My suggestions for making the current system work well:

1. Add a clause that requires approval from the designer for each change to the design (more for peace of mind than anything else. It's too scary to give complete freedom to SP to change anything freely as it is stated in the current license). This will encourage more designers (particularly experienced ones) to add their sets.
2. Change the name of "Interest Checks" to "Pre-Order Requests" or something similar. It's not really an Interest Check in the traditional sense at that point in the set design / production process, it's a gathering preorder requests stage. It shows intent to buy, rather than just "Interest", and will prevent people just registering interest as opposed to genuine intent to buy. This will give you more accurate demand figures.
3. Run the pre-order requests for a set period of time (three weeks seems about right to me, but two weeks may be enough) to gather accurate demand figures (which are comparable between designs since they run the same length of time) and allow people time to register their intent to buy, rather than up to certain figure.
4. Add between 30% and 50% to the pre-order request numbers for the first production batch. This overproduction will help to meet the increase in demand you inevitably get from people who missed the pre-order stage and those who miss the traditional first GB run of many sets. Some sets (like Carbon) could even support a 100% production increase. There are already more than 500 new requests for Massdrop to rerun the design and it hasn't even finished production of the first run. Demand will only rise once photos of the actual caps get posted, this happens in pretty much all GB's I have participated in.

And my suggestions for turning PMK into the ULTIMATE keycap set marketplace:

1. Add a clause in the designer license that design / legend changes require the designer's approval.
2. Turn the "IC" into an actual (pre)order page with "commit at this price tier" functionality for kits and a fallback option for those that don't make MOQ (something like "If this kit does not make MOQ, I would like to add this kit to my order: ". This is great for supporting individual ISO kits for example, with a fallback generic ISO kit).
3. Make extra sets (the number proportional to the GB orders as mentioned above in item number 4) which then go up on the site for purchase at the same price as the GB.
4. Add a "bring back this set" voting page for sold out sets, with no time limit, but with older votes being reduced in value (so a two month old vote will be equal to half a new vote, say, to match likelihood of someone who voted so long ago actually purchasing). When enough votes accumulate (say 150 or so) make a new batch of that set.

That way, the sets will have the largest availability and lowest price and designers don't get their designs mangled.

To show this post is not coming from a total noob with no clue and to show that I'm invested in Signature Plastics and want them to succeed:
More
I am a designer with a set in IC stage (Classic Space) which we'll run through SP, I'm developing a font for SA profile and will run a fundraiser to support getting the molds made. I'm developing specification documents detailing legend limitations, profile options, etc. to help designers choose options and prepare their designs for production by SP. SP has the best and most varied options for designers (colours, profiles, materials, legend options, etc) and that makes them the first choice when designing keycap sets.
These are the SP sets I currently own:
Nostalgia
Cherry Legend Replicas (Smallfry set)
Penumbra with Solarized alphas
PuLSE SA
Nuclear Data
Hack'd by Geeks
Retro SA
Jukebox
These I have ordered:
Carbon
Danger Zone
These I plan to order when they become available:
Green Screen

And yeah, no offense meant, but the name sucks. The primary SP keyset buyer is not Xzibit or the tasteless crowd who like getting their s**t pimped. SP makes high quality, tasteful keycap sets (in general) that deserve to be sold on a site with a matchingly tasteful name.

I pretty much agree with all of this. Oobly is a master of detail, and this was pretty spot on  :thumb:

Offline zslane

« Reply #63 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 19:17:34 »
If that was a petition, I'd certainly sign it.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #64 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 04:31:03 »
I received a message from Bob Guenser, president and owner of SP and in it he states:

"I totally understand your concern about giving SP the right to change the design. That was not the intention of the agreement.
First of all, we are manufacturers not designers and would never presume to make an improvement or change without first discussing it with the designer. The License Agreement has been modified to clarify that point.
Secondly, it was never our intention to have permanent control and usage of the design. To address this we have added a statement allowing the designer to rescind the Agreement."

I will be reviewing the changes as soon as I have the document, but this paints the system in a whole new light. As a designer, that settles all the main issues I have with it.

Also, this:

"For most of this year we have been making extra sets of GB orders and selling them through our Key Shop. Eve, Deep Space, Midnight, Modern Selectric and Juke Box (for sale shortly) are examples. We are very aware there is still strong interest in other sets like 1976 (SA), Nuclear (SA) and Symbiosis (SA) but our SA tooling (thanks to Massdrop) is booked into next year. Because we don’t want to extend current manufacturing lead times, we, unfortunately, have decided NOT to run extra sets of Carbon (currently in production) and Danger Zone (next in queue). It’s not that we aren’t listening, we simply don’t have the capacity at this time to meet the sudden demand in SA sets. We have been running overtime for two month and increasing our tooling capacity to help us meet this unexpected demand."

So two items on my lists are covered.  :D  I have provided further explanations for the other points in my "wishlist" for an awesome PMK, but I know some will not be easy to implement, so they may not happen, at least for this version of the system, but it seems we are at least being listened to and our views and opinions considered.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.