Author Topic: Some Giveaways: Part 1 - Aquatic Time! WINNER ANNOUNCED  (Read 3677 times)

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
Some Giveaways: Part 1 - Aquatic Time! WINNER ANNOUNCED
« on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 17:44:35 »
I've been wanting to do a giveaway for some time, but then it hit me....why not multiple giveaways? No reason...other than that I am feeling strange emotions about this place...like spreading the lurv :3

This is the first in a series of giveaways I'll hold, each giveaway has a different requirement, and I'll giveaway different things - mostly keyboard related. You can enter as many times as you like but only win once (i.e. if you win Part I, you can't win Part II, III....and so on). I will run giveaways until the end of the year, so there's plenty of opportunity to enter and hopefully win :)

I will take my favorite 6 submissions in every giveaway and roll a die to determine the winner.

Oh, and everything is free of course. I ship anywhere USPS ships, I think that's most of Earth (sorry intergalactic geekhackers who can go to Mars :P )

OK, enough jabbering, let's get started.  :)

--------------

Part I: Aquatic Time!

How to Enter: Summer is over, and what better time to reminisce about the sun and the sand and the ocean than in the Fall? Share a cool story about something you experienced relating to aquatic life/the sea/water-related things.

Submissions OVER

UP FOR GRABS:

Topre Deep Sea Warmaster

And the Results!!

Oh, magical geekhack dice...choose your contestants!

linkshine: 5
KaminKevCrew: 3
XX7: 6
nubbinator: 2
ManicMatt1125: 1
swill: 4

and the winner is....

More

5! Linkshine!

Congratulations linkshine, please check your inbox :)
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 October 2015, 23:25:41 by jerue »

Offline jerue

• * Destiny Supporter
Re: Some Giveaways: Part 1 - Aquatic Time!
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 17:44:44 »
reserved

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 17:49:23 »
Awesome seeing so many people doing giveaways.  :thumb:  Good stuff, jerue.

Offline linkshine

• * Destiny Supporter
  • If you wanna b my lover, u gotta get w/ my friends
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 15:14:49 »
First off, very cool of you to be so generous man! What a good idea!

My submission:
This summer was the first time we took our 2yr old girl (2 at the time) and 10month old son to the lake. We're in Arkansas, so the ocean isn't somewhere we go annually- but the lake, we typically do multiple times a year. We skipped the last couple because I am a worry-wart. I don't like to look away while they're in the bathtub, much less take them out into open-water.
Anyways. The 10 month old boy is infinitely braver than my girl has ever been :P That kid just wants to go into danger. And he can. He was walking at 7 months and running by 9. My girl is mentally more like me, she just didn't quite trust it. Don't get me wrong, I loooooooove the water, (My name is Noah and I'm an Aquarius, which I always thought was cool) but I was a reserved and timid kid when it came to new experiences. I just don't trust water when it comes to my kids.  She eventually loved it as long as she was held, and man- floaties are just awesome! I took some pictures I'll have to upload tonight :P

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 15:19:29 »
I love the love around here. Good luck all you Torpe fans. :)
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline GenKaan

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Mer caps, mindre käbbel
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 17:50:31 »
Not going to enter but much respect for doing this. Hope the community really appropriate stuff like this. Easy for collections to get out of hand hehe :)

Good luck bros and chickbros
|| @Home:: Shine 3 TKL (Mx Red / Deep Space)  || @Work:: G2Pro (Mx Clear / Dye Sub PBT) ||
@Reserve:: HHKB (Topre 45g / Mixed PBT) // Das v3 (Mx Brown / Blank PBT)

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 18:10:36 »
This is super cool of you!
Here's my submission:
My mom took my sister, myself, and a friend of hers to Hawaii when I was about 6 years old. One night we were playing in Waikiki beach, having some fun when my mom got a phone call. As she walked off to take the call, I decided it was a good idea to wade into the water about knee deep. As I stood in the water, watching the sun pass below the horizon, I felt something moving on my foot. I picked my foot up, to see what I was feeling, and as it turned out, there was a bright orange baby octopus clinging to the top of my foot! Of course, being six years old, this scared the you-know-what out of me, so I went around the beach running and screaming, "get it off, get it off!!!" my sister, the wonderful young lady that she was (and still is, mind you), came chasing after me, to try and help with my predicament. Now, at the time, I was a little trouble maker, and I got into fights with my sister all the time, so my mom just continued on her phone conversation, thinking we were in a bit of a tussle. After about 30 seconds of the loudest kicking, screaming, and crying I had ever done, the octopus finally decided to let go. My terrified little self ran over to my mother, seeking comfort, and what did she do? She laughed her head off because she thought it was hilarious. So yeah... That's my story. Oh, and yesterday, my mom brought me a plushy, orange octopus as a memento to that day (she saw it when she was on a business trip and got it for me :D)

So I suppose that concludes my submission!

Offline 27

• The Maple Man
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 18:41:55 »
Woo giveaways!

About 5 or so years ago my family and I took a road trip out to Prince Edward Island.  Beautiful red sand, potato fields everywhere, and crazy teenagers jumping off bridges into the ocean.  So my parents and their wonderful foresight decided to have us visit during jellyfish season.  Everywhere you looked on the coppery red sand, was a dead jellyfish, or 10, or 40, you get the point.  My sister and I spent our week sitting just a few meters from the high tide line, counting the jellyfish in the water, and every once in a while eating ice-cream.  Man I miss when I used to be okay with doing absolutely nothing.

PS: Jellyfishes cause pain when you accidentally kick them.
IG: https://www.instagram.com/27mechs/                                        Website: http://www.mech27.com/

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 18:47:32 »
One time as a kid, I felt like I almost drowned when I got trapped under a boogie board in the water because it flipped over, the nose dug into the sand, and waves kept crashing over it.  I finally got out and cried.

This other time, I watched Jaws when I was little and became terrified of the ocean.  The next time I went to the ocean I cried.

Another time I went out into the ocean and got stuck in a riptide and couldn't get in, but no one came out to help me.  Then I finally got in and cried.

Then one time I was on an inner tube behind a boat and got whipped off of it and went tumbling and skipping across the water.  My mom thought I almost died and she cried.

I'm not sure the water and I have a healthy relationship.  It might be a little abusive.

Offline 27

• The Maple Man
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 18:53:52 »
One time as a kid, I felt like I almost drowned when I got trapped under a boogie board in the water because it flipped over, the nose dug into the sand, and waves kept crashing over it.  I finally got out and cried.

This other time, I watched Jaws when I was little and became terrified of the ocean.  The next time I went to the ocean I cried.

Another time I went out into the ocean and got stuck in a riptide and couldn't get in, but no one came out to help me.  Then I finally got in and cried.

Then one time I was on an inner tube behind a boat and got whipped off of it and went tumbling and skipping across the water.  My mom thought I almost died and she cried.

I'm not sure the water and I have a healthy relationship.  It might be a little abusive.

Have you gotten a restraining order on water yet?  You might need it.
IG: https://www.instagram.com/27mechs/                                        Website: http://www.mech27.com/

Offline aznairjordan

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 20:37:25 »
don't want to enter, just wanted to say you are an awesome person!  :thumb:
TGR Jane CE|FC660C|Orion V2
GMK Hyperfuse|GMK Olivetti|GMK Red Alert|Soulfree's Teal|GMK Cyan

Offline ManicMatt1125

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 21:34:57 »
Firstly your an awesome dude for doing this. Secondly, I think this bot would go exceptionally well with my Miami set, which I use at work and get ridiculed for. Thirdly, my entry. When I was a wee lad(not Irish just like to say that), about 15 or 16 I was out on the Chesapeake Bay in my families boat. We had just purchased this boat and we're taking it in a test run. The boat runs great for about 20 min, and we get to a secluded area so we shut her down and start getting the tube ready( yes we are tubers) The tube is in the water, the rope is tied to the boat and we are ready. Except rhe engine doesnt start. 10 minutes of tryjng and we give up. At this point we are basically in the middle of the bay, with no cell phones, and no radio. We were stranded. So me, my brother and my cousin get in the water, grab a rope and start pulling. We don't know where we are going, but luckily we are in a bay so we will have to hit land soon. What seemed like days later,( it was probably only an hour or so) a fellow boater saw us and came to our rescue. We had to get a tow boat to bring us back ashore. Needless to say it was a very interesting experience.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 21:41:46 »

Have you gotten a restraining order on water yet?  You might need it.

I think my whole family does. 

One time my sister stuck her hand in a bucket of warm water and peed her pants.  She cried.

One time my parents went out with friends on a Duffy boat.  They broke the prop and got stranded.  They cried.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 00:40:48 »
I have a rescue dog who was badly abused before she ended up in the shelter where we got her.  She was super shy and afraid of everything for years.  BUT, when we took her on a road trip and she got onto the beach in Maine for the first time, she turned into a completely different dog.  A crazy, goofy, happy dog who completely came out of her shell.  We have had her for many years and she is like this pretty much all the time now, but that was our first glimpse of her in all her glory and that trip warms my heart even today...

Some pictures from that day...

112937-1

112939-2

112941-3

Offline jerue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 18:40:33 »
Nice stuff so far everyone :)

One week left!

Hint for next giveaway: get dirty.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 19:34:48 »

One week left!

You'd like that wouldn't you big boy...

Offline jerue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 23:10:43 »

One week left!

You'd like that wouldn't you big boy...

Offline ManicMatt1125

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 15:34:11 »

One week left!

Be careful what you wish for..........

Offline jerue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 07:12:55 »
last day to enter!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 07:42:00 »
I don't need to win the key cap, since I am not a Topre user, but here is a slightly more off-beat story concerning my father (who passed away some years ago). My father was a doctor, a very wise and serious man, but a man who valued his precious time off and enjoyed relaxation.

My father, bother, and brother-in-law were visiting a friend who kept a sailboat on the Chesapeake Bay. The had decided to sail across the bay and back, and serious drinking was involved.

On the way across, my father lost one of his shoes overboard. He continued to walk around the boat wearing one shoe for the rest of the day. Later that night, on the return trip, he and my brother were sitting there looking at the stars and continuing to drink, when my father kicked off his other shoe and sent it overboard.

When my brother asked "Why did you do that?" he replied: "This is about where I lost the other one, so, if anybody finds them, I want them to have the pair."

They may have gagged Trump.
They didn’t gag me.
They can’t gag me.
I have no gag reflex.
I am ungaggable.
I have trained my whole life for this.
– Lauren Boebert 2024-05-16

Offline jerue

• * Destiny Supporter
Re: Some Giveaways: Part 1 - Aquatic Time! OVER
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 23:01:31 »
OVER

Thanks everyone who entered :)

Gonna re-read everyone's stories now. Winner should be announced fairly soon in the OP (and will be notified via PM).

Offline jerue

• * Destiny Supporter
Re: Some Giveaways: Part 1 - Aquatic Time! WINNER ANNOUNCED
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 23:29:51 »
Winner annouced!

So...hints about Part 2:

• Multiple Winners
  • Hosted in the Keyboards subforum
  • Entry system allowing for up to triple entries!
  • Anyone can enter regardless whether you won this giveaway or not.
  • Will be halloween/gore themed. More details to come...
  • Will not start until around Oct. 20th or so, but runs through Halloween

Offline linkshine

• * Destiny Supporter
  • If you wanna b my lover, u gotta get w/ my friends
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 23:43:50 »
Winner annouced!

So...hints about Part 2:

• Multiple Winners

Told my daughter - she is stoked about her prize!! Thank you man! This is her on the lake with my sister in law

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 00:15:10 »
Winner annouced!

So...hints about Part 2:

• Multiple Winners

I like your way to determining the winner.  :P  Thanks for the giveaway.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 00:16:45 »
Congrats to the winner.  I just had fun telling my story.