Author Topic: [IC] Hubble Mira Custom TKL (GB is 3... 2... 1... launched!)  (Read 578579 times)

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
Re: [IC] Hubble Mira Custom TKL With b.Mira PCB
« Reply #100 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 20:45:07 »
Perhaps someone can explain this, as I have been thinking. Isn't there a risk you are running using stainless steel inserts on an aluminum board? Galvanic corrosion.
Anodizing should prevent this since the thick oxide layer is nonconductive. Plus you need significant moisture for galvanic corrosion to occur anyways.
Couldn't the contact between the two pieces cause scratches which could allow it to happen? I guess the chances are really low, nothing to worry about probably.
The oxide layer is basically the same hardness as ruby, so it wins the scratch war versus most metals. Also, the parts won't be moving around once assembled.

Doc also said he would look into hard anodized finish, which is even thicker. Although maintaining tolerances will be more difficult that way...

I have purposely built in margins around the slotted portions of the weight so that the weight can inserted and screwed in without damaging the case. I figure that margin would also allow for hard ano to be a viable option.
I'd assumed this kind of thing would be accounted for. It's just the first time in a couple years I've used the fab + finishing part of my brain... All these considerations are rushing back to me. I'm confident this board will be top-notch.

How is the acrylic logo going to fit in the cutout? Is it going to be molded in-place?

Not finalized yet, it depends on how snug it will fit in. If the milling is precise enough and it fits in tight then it may not require any fixing, otherwise screw holes will likely be added.
For a tight fit here you might want to mask off the walls of the logo so the Anodize won't affect the finish size.

Perhaps, this is something I would like to investigate more after I get a prototype made  :thumb:

Offline Tour90

« Reply #101 on: Mon, 23 March 2015, 12:14:12 »
I would be interested in picking up a blue or gunmetal one for sure.

Offline Heliosphere

« Reply #102 on: Mon, 23 March 2015, 19:44:21 »
I would be interested in picking up a blue or gunmetal one for sure.

My problem right now is deciding on blue or gunmetal, because both look great! Gunmetal seems it would work with more keyset colors.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #103 on: Mon, 23 March 2015, 19:54:29 »
This looks quite interesting, a customized TKL keyboard out of aluminum, now who doesn't want that in their life?

Put me down for one in Blood Red (if such a colour exists) because I don't have an all RED coloured keyboard just yet  :thumb: .

Offline slickmamba

« Reply #104 on: Mon, 23 March 2015, 20:02:39 »
put me down for a dark gray/red with built in wk blockers :)
Hi :)

Offline vindaon

« Reply #105 on: Mon, 23 March 2015, 20:08:36 »
What colors have been confirmed? Cause I would be definitely down for purple.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #106 on: Mon, 23 March 2015, 20:12:12 »
I really don't know which color I would go with. It really depends on what's out there for keycaps by that time. If nothing new and compelling appears between now and then, I'd probably go with something for my 2nd Hyperfuse set. Probably just gunmetal gray. I can't picture this board with the Triumph Adler GMK set.

So, Doc, I have to ask...do you already know what the "secret item" is that Zeal is hyping up right now?

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #107 on: Mon, 23 March 2015, 20:33:27 »
Potentially interested in a grey board, contingent on price and timing.

Would want ANSI 87. Would also count myself beyond lucky to somehow end up with #18 :P
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline Cottonsox

« Reply #108 on: Mon, 23 March 2015, 20:51:32 »

Would want ANSI 87. Would also count myself beyond lucky to somehow end up with #18 :P

I'll go on record now, if i stumble upon 18 i would switch it with you if switches are possible. From the renders shouldn't be to hard to switch  the weights people get which looks to be the intended engraved spot!

I understand DRHubblePHD hesitance to offer any sort of reservations of numbers, but i cannot see a problem with a friendly switch.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #109 on: Mon, 23 March 2015, 20:56:51 »

I'll go on record now, if i stumble upon 18 i would switch it with you if switches are possible. From the renders shouldn't be to hard to switch  the weights people get which looks to be the intended engraved spot!

I understand DRHubblePHD hesitance to offer any sort of reservations of numbers, but i cannot see a problem with a friendly switch.

As long as it doesn't result in 100 friendly switches worth of administrative burden. At that point, just wait until you get the board and make the swaps via private messages. But if you're correct and the engraving is on the SS insert and not the aluminum chassis, then getting the number you want in the color you want will be cake.

It will, of course, mean that the first 57 may lose some of their special significance, if for instance user 18 ends up with #58 and you trade it with him, unless you also swap out the gold stabs just to keep everything together.

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Cottonsox

« Reply #110 on: Mon, 23 March 2015, 21:05:49 »

As long as it doesn't result in 100 friendly switches worth of administrative burden. At that point, just wait until you get the board and make the swaps via private messages. But if you're correct and the engraving is on the SS insert and not the aluminum chassis, then getting the number you want in the color you want will be cake.

It will, of course, mean that the first 57 may lose some of their special significance, if for instance user 18 ends up with #58 and you trade it with him, unless you also swap out the gold stabs just to keep everything together.

Gold stabs or not, i am not concerned, honestly my perfect world is 7, closely followed by 26 if that doesn't happen i am happy with any other number as long as i get in on MIRA.

Personally, i would not want to make a trade after as it just adds extra costs after the fact for posting, As i am International to most people. I don't want DrHubblePHD to have to undergo anything he does not want to, the beauty of his design is that the engraved portion is a seperate piece and _could_ be move around orders if allowed and not effect any of the production process.

Alternatively, He could just make it so that no one knows what number they go and it's a surprise :D That would be pretty cool also!

Offline Alex92

« Reply #111 on: Mon, 23 March 2015, 21:09:10 »
I'll definitely be interested in this!

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #112 on: Mon, 23 March 2015, 21:26:14 »
Alternatively, He could just make it so that no one knows what number they go and it's a surprise :D That would be pretty cool also!

I sincerely hope that's what he does. A lot of GB threads degenerate into a mess of unreasonable personal requests once the order window closes.

As a husband and a father, when planning something big I often use the "surprise" angle to circumvent endless deliberations over mundane details. It's served my family very well.

My boards:
More

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #113 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 05:51:46 »
Bah I cant wait for this :) it's going to go well with the Gatorade blacks I orders from the other group buy

Offline Rodgaroon

• Size matters, just ask my wife.
« Reply #114 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 08:57:50 »
Looks great. I'm very interested. Been waiting on a TKL for while and its between this and the TX-87(MX). My wallet can handle both but I would rather golf an extra 2-3 rounds.
G6v2 (MX Black) | Poker II (MX Brown) | Compact SQ (MX Clears 62g)

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #115 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 10:17:24 »
So... is it gonna come in some sort of blue is my only question.

Well I was rooting to get "sifo blue" added to the list  :p

!!! Let's hope I have the money by then!
I love Elzy

Offline Phinnegan

• I have a new addiction.
« Reply #116 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 10:35:02 »
Very interested, the shape is great, the red render is awesome  :thumb:.

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #117 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 12:09:43 »
Thanks to thechemist, even more people will be able to get their Mira soldered with SMD parts before shipping!

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #118 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 12:16:11 »
Thanks to thechemist, even more people will be able to get their Mira soldered with SMD parts before shipping!

Great news I was probably going to have him solder mine anyway  :p

Also +1 for a gun metal grey.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #119 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 12:19:11 »
Down for number 69 in lime green ;) (btw, I'll gladly pay for a custom anno color if it comes down to it)
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #120 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 13:07:35 »
Down for number 69 in lime green ;) (btw, I'll gladly pay for a custom anno color if it comes down to it)

Custom anodizing colors would be crazy cool but expensive. Maybe do batches of 10? 10 people agree to all get a specific color that way we can have more colors but still maintain a reasonable price for anodizing?

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #121 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 13:43:00 »

Custom anodizing colors would be crazy cool but expensive. Maybe do batches of 10? 10 people agree to all get a specific color that way we can have more colors but still maintain a reasonable price for anodizing?

Most places have a lot charge for different colors, so if 50 people want gunmetal gray, that lot charge will be the same as if two people want seafoam green. However, if you've got 100 parts in ten different colors, that's ten lot setups whether there's ten of each color or 91 gray and one each of the other nine.

So, if Doc wants to allow custom colors in addition to whichever standard colors he settles on, the math is simple: you pay the price of the keyboard plus one lot charge fee.

My boards:
More

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #122 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 16:00:20 »
Add one more gunmetal gray for me. :D (And I don't really care which number I'll get.)
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 March 2015, 16:26:12 by VinnyCordeiro »

Offline fatchoi

« Reply #123 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 20:24:00 »
Interested in it, but depends on the price. If possible, I'd like to claim #18

Offline archer

« Reply #124 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 22:49:41 »
Count me in! Very nice design!

Offline HTN47

• Mr. SoCal
« Reply #125 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 23:19:21 »
I think imma say effff it and get both this and the Orion v2 LoL
I also have a KMAC coming this Thursday  :-X
GeekHack is seriously making me poor
What is love.... Baby don't hurt me... No more!!

Offline techmattr

« Reply #126 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 08:51:32 »
Count me in as well.

Offline jayelle321

« Reply #127 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 08:57:15 »
I'm in for one (preferably #8 if no one else took). I'd really like a blue one but I guess gray would be okay too

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #128 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 10:42:54 »
putting a bounty on #13.37
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline tuantruong

« Reply #129 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 13:37:23 »
Count me in for one please. Would be down for #004 or #021 if it's possible.  :thumb:

Offline archer

« Reply #130 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 14:49:03 »
I know OP isn't reserving numbers.. but if he changes his mind, I'd loooove my old soccer number, #10 :D

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #131 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 14:52:18 »

https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #132 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 14:52:41 »
I will fight for #1
I love Elzy

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #133 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 15:11:45 »
Looks really nice might have to get this as my first ever custom keyboard, really like the idea you have behind it too :) Although just my point of view I wouldn't allow people to choose a number as it would make things harder for you and some might not get taken just due to the number :X
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #134 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 15:54:49 »
I would love a top plate with built in blockers.
WKL ansi

Also I need one of the 57 with gold stabs.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #135 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 16:27:14 »
Looks really nice might have to get this as my first ever custom keyboard, really like the idea you have behind it too :) Although just my point of view I wouldn't allow people to choose a number as it would make things harder for you and some might not get taken just due to the number :X
The OP says numbers will be issued in a first come, first serve basis. I just think he's given up on trying to dispel the idea of reserved numbers. It's just an interest check, anyway.

My boards:
More

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #136 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 16:29:12 »

I've paid for a batch anodize for a single piece before. It's honestly not terribly expensive( it was $80 for a plate). As I said, if I do get one, I wouldn't mind paying whatever anodizer they're going through to just do it rather than find a local one.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
« Reply #137 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 16:29:52 »
Numbers will be assigned in the order the deposits are received. You will not know what number you have gotten till it arrives at your doorstep. That's the current plan.

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #138 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 17:36:53 »
Numbers will be assigned in the order the deposits are received. You will not know what number you have gotten till it arrives at your doorstep. That's the current plan.
Ahh right thats fine then thanks :) I best start saving as I really want this :X
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline vindaon

« Reply #139 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 17:58:01 »

That's the most sensible way. I know it's already in the op but you might wanna put it closer to the top in big bold letters so people can see, way too many people asking.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #140 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 18:04:48 »
Definitely Very Interested!
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline Cottonsox

« Reply #141 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 18:06:26 »

I think this is the best way to do it!

Before the group buy kicks off are you able to give us an indication of how much a deposit will be, Want to make sure my funds will be ready for the first payment when the GB is live!

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
« Reply #142 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 18:19:09 »

I think this is the best way to do it!

Before the group buy kicks off are you able to give us an indication of how much a deposit will be, Want to make sure my funds will be ready for the first payment when the GB is live!

As soon as I get some quotes for he price of milling I will be sharing a potential price.

Offline Cottonsox

« Reply #143 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 18:20:07 »
How close are you to finding someone for the milling?

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
« Reply #144 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 18:22:44 »

Just be patient  :p

Offline Cottonsox

« Reply #145 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 18:26:22 »

Just be patient  :p

It' just to hard :)

Offline eten

« Reply #146 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 18:37:40 »
will there be any sort of assembly services available?

Offline Blackehart

• Booty Aficionado Extraordinaire
« Reply #147 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 19:06:00 »
in for #666

might not make 666 of these, but would like that number :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=zqZMlSZzUu8
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 March 2015, 19:07:52 by Blackehart »

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
« Reply #148 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 19:12:06 »
will there be any sort of assembly services available?

I personally wont be offering any assembly services. SMD soldering will be offered as an option for the buy. All you will need is for someone to solder switches and screw it all together. You should be able to find someone willing to fully assemble your board need be.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #149 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 21:33:03 »
Truly a very very nice design, surprised I didn't catch onto this thread earlier! Love the lines on the side profile and that steel weight is sexy as all get out. Hopefully you can find a good milling connection, I'd love to see these made  :thumb:
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150