Author Topic: advice for new mouse  (Read 10037 times)

Offline avinin1

advice for new mouse
« on: Sun, 26 September 2010, 03:43:51 »
hello,
I now use the xai, this is have really great perforamce and I think is one of the best mouse I've seen.
but, the xai is doesnt comformt for me, it has a little "hill" on it, that just not comfort.

may I receive some advices for new mouse? :)
I thinks about the DeathAdderV2 or the mx518.
my budget is 67USD.
I am plam griper and right-hand user.(perfer mouses that only for right, not ambidextrous)

thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 September 2010, 03:51:17 by avinin1 »

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
advice for new mouse
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 26 September 2010, 04:12:13 »
I don't suppose the Steelseries Ikari would be suitable? Resident mouse expert lmnop has both Xai and Ikari, and says the Ikari is more comfortable.

Offline avinin1

advice for new mouse
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 26 September 2010, 04:16:14 »
yes, it known that the ikari is one of the comforests mice out there, but it has the same little "hill" that just "destorys" for me the feeling of Comfort.

Offline vicariouscheese

advice for new mouse
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 26 September 2010, 07:54:28 »
the ikari has this hill but the mx518 doesnt? i have them right next to each other, and if im understanding you correctly, the curvature of both is the same.

id recommend ms 3.0 or deathadder, as those are slightly flatter than the ikari and mx518

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
advice for new mouse
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 26 September 2010, 08:00:39 »
Yeah, the MX518, G5 (and G500 I'd imagine) sit much higher than the Ikari does. If you thought the Steelseries mice were bad, you won't like those Logitech ones.

Would the G9 be an option here?

Offline J888www

advice for new mouse
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 26 September 2010, 09:12:07 »
I received a Logitech Wireless Mouse M310 Blue with Nano Receiver (Three Buttons) to replace the Razer Abyssus which replaced the SteelSeries Kinzu because I wished to have less wires/cables (Power,Keyboard,Cooler, Mouse) connected to my laptop. I was skeptical at first, but was surprised how accurate it tracked for a wireless mouse considering the SetPoint Software does not support Ubuntu, I may test it on Windows 7 with SetPoint 6.15.25 to see if it performs better. All in all, I'm happy using this M310 but then tomorrow is another Day and my opinion may once again differ.
Often outspoken, please forgive any cause for offense.
Thank you all in GH for reading.

Keyboards & Pointing Devices :-
[/FONT]One Too Many[/COLOR]

Offline avinin1

advice for new mouse
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 26 September 2010, 13:30:55 »
so, what have better performances the MX518 or the DeathAdder v2?
i've pretty big hands, what would be better for me?

Offline Arc'xer

advice for new mouse
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 26 September 2010, 14:25:07 »
Quote from: avinin1;227013
so, what have better performances the MX518 or the DeathAdder v2?
i've pretty big hands, what would be better for me?

http://www.mionix.net/page.php?al=naos5000

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gmTql0x2Hs&fmt=22

Same sensor as the Avago 9500 on the Xai. In fact it's the same sub model being the A9500 rather than the S9500, which offers more customization.

I've heard there is a bit of wobble might have been a bad production unit, the mouse didn't sit perfectly level it wobbled a bit but it seems like isolated incidents. And expensive but from what I've read on it people love it. Weighs about 106 grams so around the Deathadder's weight without the cable.

Offline Rajagra

advice for new mouse
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 26 September 2010, 17:05:53 »
Quote from: Arc'xer;227035

That looks great. Especially the shape, but everything looks good about it. Even the software seems well written, no bloatware or confusing nonsense designed purely for looks.

Sadly it's lacking 2 or 3 buttons compared to my Logitech G9 (2 by tilting the wheel, and the G9 has a dedicated profile switch button.) Apart from that the Naos looks like one of the best choices around.

Offline Arc'xer

advice for new mouse
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 26 September 2010, 17:32:18 »
You could always remap the DPI buttons into additional functions.

Offline Rajagra

advice for new mouse
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 26 September 2010, 17:41:30 »
Already do that on my G9. Two buttons less is two buttons less, however you look at it. I still like the Naos though. Time will tell if I can resist temptation.

Offline Arc'xer

advice for new mouse
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 26 September 2010, 18:14:16 »
Time being I've got no incentive to buy. But it's a hard choice between Xai and Naos. As silly as it sounds because of the ambidextrous design of the Xai lets you use it on the left.

Although it's a shame they don't make a completely mirrored keyboard; everything on the other side. Instead of QWERTY, it's YTREWQ. Bit of a traditionalist with the whole WASD thing, ease of use due to larger side keys.

I've a always been curious on gaming and normal desktop mouse use with the left hand rather than right hand. Found the Xai interesting because of it's comfortable ambidextrous design. Unlike the Lachesis when it first popped up, which I was considering a while back before getting the Deathadder.

Offline Bullveyr

advice for new mouse
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 27 September 2010, 01:45:46 »
Quote from: Arc'xer;227035

Same sensor as the Avago 9500 on the Xai. In fact it's the same sub model being the A9500 rather than the S9500, which offers more customization.

Na, allthough they are both labeled as A9500 those features are still exclusive to SteelSeries.
Quote from: ripster;185750
Mechanical switches are mechanical.

Offline victheslik

advice for new mouse
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 27 September 2010, 06:00:46 »
-
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 November 2023, 22:19:03 by victheslik »
"The only antidote to mental suffering is physical pain. " Karl Marx
A wiseman once said, "If Bible proves the existence of God, then comic books prove the existence of Superheros."

Offline Senor_Cartmenez

advice for new mouse
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 27 September 2010, 10:19:14 »
I can recommend the Deathadder too

Although I must say teh Mionix looked sweet also. After going a bit into the whole matter of mice, I have realized though that almost all mice I have had so far don't exactly fit my grip. I use a 3 finger on top grip with a mix between palm and claw.... :first:

Anywho, my problem is that my middle finger rests on the scroll wheel but when I palm grip, it is too far in the front. So I would basically need a mouse where the scroll wheel is kinda at the end of the mouse :D

Furthermore, if a mouse handed me a more or less fitting scroll wheel, it always had the 2 side buttons (front back) too far in the front, so I could effectively only reach the back-button...

I guess what I want to say is this: Don't care so much about performance and all that stuff, first of all go into a store and check which mouse feels most comfortable. If you are a bit clueless as to what feels comfortable (as I was when I bought the deathadder, still, not a bad choice at all), then go with your gut and watch your mousing behavior. Once u know what's important, repeat the process (touching mice in the store) and be happy ;)

Offline vicariouscheese

advice for new mouse
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 27 September 2010, 11:32:39 »
Quote from: Senor_Cartmenez;227240
touching mice in the store

unfortunately all the hardware places around me dont have anything worth trying on display :/  every now and then they have a wmo or 1.1, but ive never seen 3.0, mx518, deathadder, or anything labeled gaming.  just wireless and ergonomic mice :(  id like to know where people live where they say 'just go try that deathadder yourself!' etc

Offline Rajagra

advice for new mouse
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 27 September 2010, 22:38:39 »
Quote from: Senor_Cartmenez;227240
Anywho, my problem is that my middle finger rests on the scroll wheel but when I palm grip, it is too far in the front. So I would basically need a mouse where the scroll wheel is kinda at the end of the mouse :D

Me too. But I just got a MS 7000 ergo mouse as part of a package, and amazingly the scroll wheel is in a great position. So it can be done.

Also the more natural rotated-right wrist angle is good. Not much else to like about it though. I can't use it as I don't have the wireless dongle, but I suspect it bends your wrist upwards in use, which probably counteracts the good done by the 45° rotation to the right. Ho hum.

Offline Senor_Cartmenez

advice for new mouse
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 29 September 2010, 06:02:21 »
I've been playing with the thought of starting a company that makes customized peripherals. In a store you could just stick your hand in some sort of wax or plasticine and whatever while emulating how you hold a mouse and the company could make a mouse that exactly fits. I think that would be awesome, what you guys think?

@OP
I live in a medium sized town in Germany, still we have like 3 major electronics stores, 2 of them are heavily marketing at kiddies and generally stupid people. Since they are grossly overpriced, they have like everything on display. I always go there and check stuff out, haven't bought anything from them in years. Sometimes it's fun to pose riddles to the un-educated employees and watch their head explode as they are trying to find an answer that will inevitably yield less information than you already have :)

However, if you don't have a MediaMarkt (that's what that German chain is called) or sth similar near you, why don't you just order it online and send back what you don't like? Dunno how that works where you live, in Germany you can send stuff back within 14 days without any reason, that's the law, not even common practice by stores or anything. If the cost of the whole order was above 40€ you don't even have to pay for shipping ^^

Offline tonyklo

advice for new mouse
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 07 October 2010, 02:03:50 »
You should def. give ZOWIE EC-1 or EC-2 a try...they're available on Newegg... best mouse i've used ..and def. way surpass Xai or DA... i've used them all : )

zowie is definitely a fast-growing company ! amazing stufF

Offline CeeSA

advice for new mouse
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 08 October 2010, 10:25:47 »
there is no software to bind keys or something else come with the ZOWIE EC-1/2
also be aware of the wheel:
http://www.esreality.com/?a=post&id=1916579

Offline Eclairz

advice for new mouse
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 11 October 2010, 04:30:50 »
It sounds like your need Saitek/MadCats Rats 7 fully customizable. But also consider the Alienware Tactx and the Logitech G9x.
Lenovo ThinkPad TrackPoint Keyboard
RealForce 45g UK 88UB
FILCO Majestouch TenKeyPad

Offline skartt

advice for new mouse
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 11 October 2010, 06:44:54 »
If you have big hands and use palm grip you can give the Roccat Kone+ a try.

Offline DeltaGunner

new mouse
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 13 October 2010, 03:05:39 »
I have an cm storm sentinel advance and i LOVE it.
My hands are quite big and i use the full hand grip and its fits perfectly.
Alot of optoins from the software, rapid fire is very nice in games. You can adjust the weight but i like it heavy. It tracks and glides very well on my Roccat Adrenaline Blue. And it has nice lighting effects.

PS: nobody did a review on the cm storm yet?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Keyboards:
Razer BlackWidow Ultimate
Wishlist:
DAS Ultimate Model S Ultimate Silent, or atleast some other Cherry Brown
Mice:
Logitech Trackball
Logitech Trackman Wheel
CM Storm Sentinel Advance 5.600 DPI
Switches:
Blue
Want to try:
Black, Brown, Red and BS

Offline Arc'xer

advice for new mouse
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 13 October 2010, 03:11:24 »
Quite a few but it uses the Philips twin eye engine so it's not popular. It did have mild interest by quite a few people around, when it was announced a while back particularly because of it's comfortable looking grip. But once they discovered it was the PTE not anymore.

Most won't care but those who do they will notice the issues.

Offline DeltaGunner

advice for new mouse
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 13 October 2010, 08:21:01 »
Whats so wrong with the double laser engine?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Keyboards:
Razer BlackWidow Ultimate
Wishlist:
DAS Ultimate Model S Ultimate Silent, or atleast some other Cherry Brown
Mice:
Logitech Trackball
Logitech Trackman Wheel
CM Storm Sentinel Advance 5.600 DPI
Switches:
Blue
Want to try:
Black, Brown, Red and BS

Offline Arc'xer

advice for new mouse
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 13 October 2010, 16:59:58 »
Quite a few in particular to Z-axis tracking issues and pattern recognition issues on certain surfaces. It also jitters a bit when used in normal operations in particular due to the surface.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wD0ThxpVHMs&fmt=22

Just search around for z-axis tracking issues or Philips twin-eye and out pops a ****load of information.

Offline zefrer

advice for new mouse
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 13 October 2010, 21:13:06 »

Offline exousia

advice for new mouse
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 28 October 2010, 06:41:50 »
lol @ "classic choice"... nice marketing speak there. Their shape is about as generic as they come. :P

I had the 518 before, and I don't like the glossy top, it has data saturation (clipping), I don't like the big thumb indentation, and only cater's holding it by wrapping your whole hand around the mouse. Oh and mine broke where the cord connects on the front, along with 3 other gaming friends. I find the Xai better in every way.

Quote from: tonyklo;230747
You should def. give ZOWIE EC-1 or EC-2 a try...they're available on Newegg... best mouse i've used ..and def. way surpass Xai or DA... i've used them all : )

"way surpass" how? I read up on this mouse and there are plenty of people who already have way more problems and dislike with the EC-1 than I ever saw with the Xai.

the xai is doesnt comformt for me, it has a little "hill" on it, that just not comfort.

So you think the xai's hill is too much and are thinking about the DA instead? Think again...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24081793@N07/5081256179/in/set-72157625122401600/
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 October 2010, 06:50:15 by exousia »

Offline Shuki

advice for new mouse
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 28 October 2010, 07:10:54 »
Quote from: ripster;233592
MX518 - the classic choice.  Light mouse.  Fingertip (not palm) user.

Why pay more?  Why settle for less?  

OCN thinks so too and they KNOW mice.

And the Zowie is crap.

You mean you don't like the new Zowie EC1/2?

Offline zefrer

advice for new mouse
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 28 October 2010, 07:40:05 »
The MX518 has been a favourite among many FPS gamers, professional or not, for many years for a reason. It is frakking good and has a good price.

The Zowie does look awesome tho. Reviews are good for it too. The lift off distance is indeed lower than the MX518. Might have to try it just for that

Offline Shuki

advice for new mouse
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 28 October 2010, 11:26:39 »
This MX518 is indeed a good mouse but the shape just wasn't too good for my hand. Same with the Deathadder both were just a but to big for me to grip comfortably.

I got the Zowie EC2 recently and even though it's overpriced for what it is, I would say it's a really solid mouse. Very similar shape to the Deathadder but a bit smaller and the sides are easier to grip (due to the angle they go down as well as the material). It's got a avago 3060 sensor which is really consistent, plus it has a modified lens which lowers the lift-off distance. The wire is the best I have ever seen on a mouse. The plastic has been treated so that it has very little memory and isn't even noticeable while playing.

The only drawback of this mouse except the price I would say is the scrollwheel as it sometimes doesn't register a scroll down after you have been scrolling up.