Author Topic: Praise for Slimblade  (Read 4476 times)

Offline sameer.wahid

Praise for Slimblade
« on: Tue, 15 May 2012, 19:34:53 »
Hi all,

I'm new here, been reading for some time but this is my first post (actually my second, but the first was eaten up by the rollback). I wanted to share my praise for my new Slimblade, which I've been using for the past 10 days or so.

tl;dr: Slimblade has a very smooth motion, and works great on a Mac after playing with the acceleration/speed in TrackballWorks.

Some background: I work in a science research lab, so I mouse around a lot when analyzing data or working with certain less-than-keyboard-friendly software programs.  I use a Mac, and prefer wired mice. Up until last month, I used a Microsoft Comfort Mouse 4500. However, I started developing pain in my wrist, to the the point where mousing hurt.  I used my Trackman Marble Wheel for a couple of weeks: the pain was less but still there, and had migrated up my hand to my thumb.  After reading here and around the internet, I decided to go the "big" trackball route.

The Slimblade, in conjunction with the newer version of Trackballworks, is great.  The ball motion is incredibly smooth, and there's enough momentum/inertia that a little bit of gunk on the rollers doesn't slow the ball down that much (compared to my Trackman Marble, which needed to be cleaned daily).  The buttons on the Slimblade don't have the best "action" to them, but the programmability is very handy; I have dedicated left, middle, and right clicks, and the fourth button is a browser 'back'.  There is the option of mapping a simultaneous press of both bottom or both top buttons to something, but I haven't done that yet as I just don't have a need.One of the nice advantages of any trackball for me is that my button presses don't move the cursor (with my mouse, I tended to move around a bit while pressure the middle button). Since the middle button figures heavily in some of my programs, this is a useful feature for me.

The scrolling action (spinning the ball around the z-axis) took a day to get used to, but now I find it perfect.  I scroll with one finger, using the chrome-coloured ring around the ball as a contact point (i.e. I slide my finger around the chrome ring, placing enough pressure on the ball to actuate scrolling). I learned that Mac's will shift to horizontal scrolling with a press of the Shift key (I didn't know that before last week) which makes up for the lack of a horizontal scroll.

TrackballWorks is a full featured program; for my needs, it replaces Steermouse (although TrackballWorks doesn't support mapping of buttons for different programs).  I've moved the pointer speed to 5 notches shy of 'Fast' and lowered the acceleration to 4 notches above 'Low' to have an acceleration curve that doesn't drive me mad.

Cheers!

Offline All The Fire

Praise for Slimblade
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 16 May 2012, 00:46:14 »
Good to hear, I'm a big fan of the slimblade myself. Also good to hear you enjoy the scrolling feature too, I think some haven't given it a chance or thought to try it a little differently than Kensington suggests.

I use cad programs at work and can mouse around a lot myself, even though I think it would help me a lot I'm reluctant to bring mine into work as I've had a few things no where near as expensive as this nabbed off my desk, I also don't have any real pain mousing.

Just waiting for someone to nab my Leopold with these annoying brown switches so I can buy myself a new keyboard.

Offline Surnia

Praise for Slimblade
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 17 May 2012, 16:30:43 »
I think the only two things holding me back from the slimblade is the price, and that there's varying reports of how good/buggy trackballworks is for 64bit Windows 7.

great that its working for you though!

Noppoo Choc Mini with MX Black | Filco 104 MJ2 Ninja with MX Black

Offline natas206

• * Commercial Vendor
Praise for Slimblade
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 18 May 2012, 12:39:57 »
I actually like the larger expert mouse pro better myself, although I had to use my own palm support/wrist pad to replace the crappy one it came with.

Offline älg

Praise for Slimblade
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 18 May 2012, 14:00:14 »
I received a used one just about two weeks ago and using it at my main computer.
I was really astonished, as I booted up windows yesterday (I'm using Linux most of the time) and found out, that out of the box without installing some software the slimblade doesn't work the same as under Linux.

Under Linux the four buttons are assigned the following way:
bottom left: left click
bottom right: right click
top left: the same as pressing the scroll wheel on a normal mouse (I use this to open links in a new browser tab)
top right: backwards (like the backwards button on the Logitech mx510)

Under windows 7 only the buttons at the bottom are assigned by default. I just don't want to install some software for a simple thing as a trackball (reason).

Despite this I won't give the slimblade away in the near future, I really like it :)

Offline o2dazone

Praise for Slimblade
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 18 May 2012, 17:16:01 »
Quote from: Surnia;594904
I think the only two things holding me back from the slimblade is the price, and that there's varying reports of how good/buggy trackballworks is for 64bit Windows 7.

great that its working for you though!

I use windows 7 64 bit and didn't have any issues with Trackballworks...but ymmv

Thing I hated most about my Slimblade was button location. My hand was all over the mouse to hit all 4 buttons. While not terribly applicable in the office, for gaming, those extra buttons were essential. Though I only gave it about a month before giving up on it.

Offline Surnia

Praise for Slimblade
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 19 May 2012, 01:10:34 »
Quote from: o2dazone;595525
I use windows 7 64 bit and didn't have any issues with Trackballworks...but ymmv

Thing I hated most about my Slimblade was button location. My hand was all over the mouse to hit all 4 buttons. While not terribly applicable in the office, for gaming, those extra buttons were essential. Though I only gave it about a month before giving up on it.

The problems were that the reports were varying, so its hard to tell IF the software was fixed or not. Thanks though!

As to location, I found a really high grip on the Orbit with the ball under the first joint on the middle finger is actually decently comfortable... also gives reasonable levels of control. It could translate to a grip on the Slimblade though... Not sure how well it translates to a larger ball though.

Noppoo Choc Mini with MX Black | Filco 104 MJ2 Ninja with MX Black

Offline Odilepont

Praise for Slimblade
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 23 May 2012, 21:22:46 »
Quote from: älg;595448
I received a used one just about two weeks ago and using it at my main computer.
I was really astonished, as I booted up windows yesterday (I'm using Linux most of the time) and found out, that out of the box without installing some software the slimblade doesn't work the same as under Linux.

top left: the same as pressing the scroll wheel on a normal mouse (I use this to open links in a new browser tab)

Under windows 7 only the buttons at the bottom are assigned by default. I just don't want to install some software for a simple thing as a trackball (reason).

Despite this I won't give the slimblade away in the near future, I really like it :)

This might do it for me, if I can find it cheap somewhere.
Hope I won't miss the forward button.
Thanks

Offline therecorder

Praise for Slimblade
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 25 May 2012, 11:58:17 »
I'm confused as to which Kensington SlimBlade is being discussed.  Can someone tell me wwhich one on this page is the one: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_nkw=Kensington%20SlimBlade&_sop=15&_clu=2&_fcid=100&_localstpos=&_stpos=&gbr=1

Now I understand: http://www.trackballworld.com/40-176.html
« Last Edit: Fri, 25 May 2012, 12:15:11 by therecorder »

Offline nathanscribe

Praise for Slimblade
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 25 May 2012, 16:48:04 »
I've used the Slimblade and Kensington's Expert Mouse for a while, and I'm not sure which I prefer - the Expert shares the basic features and programmability, but uses a separate scroll ring and is a bit chunkier.  It does come with a wrist-wrest though.

The wrist rest is comfortable I find, so the heftier body is not a problem, and the scroll ring *should* be better than the Slimblade's rotating ball IMO as when I spin the Slimblade's ball for scrolling, I often end up moving the cursor as well.  That's not always a problem, but when it is, I find it frustrating.  The movement of the hand on scrolling feels awkward to me on the Slimblade more than the ring on the Expert.  However, the Expert's ring isn't really smooth enough, certainly not at first, and it gathers crud more than the Slimblade I think.

If there was a cursor lock while scrolling, the Slimblade would win, and if the Expert's ring was silky rather than scratchy, it would win.

I've seen ripster's wheel grease solution, but haven't been bothered to try it.
Conquering the world with BASIC since 1982