Author Topic: [GB] GMK Taro (Shipped!)  (Read 133476 times)

Offline Lndefinite

Re: [GB] GMK Taro (We Got Some Samples)
« Reply #200 on: Wed, 06 June 2018, 23:13:05 »
Mmm, I'm super excited for the set. Thanks for the update!

Offline mrjack

« Reply #201 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 00:50:42 »
Hmm, from the renders I was expecting a slightly darker purple for the alphas, but I still think it looks good. The cyan I was however expecting to be greener, and in that case I'm not sure I like this color as much as I was expecting to.

But it really could be down to lighting. Hard to tell.

Offline slk

« Reply #202 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 01:00:13 »
that icon modifier is amazing

Offline watchy0ubac

« Reply #203 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 01:07:02 »
Liking the samples! Can't wait to see how it all comes out!

Offline Phitness

« Reply #204 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 02:06:53 »
Thinking I should have got this instead of Lazer.  Set looks great.

Offline LeoShi

« Reply #205 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 02:35:26 »
alpha looks a little lighter, but I think it's good and I love it :p

Offline Hongook

« Reply #206 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 02:43:09 »
The samples look nice, wish I had joined the GB now... :(

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #207 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 02:43:59 »
Glad the samples have come in!  Difficult to say what they look like in person, as I have that cyan in GMK Cyan and CMYK mods, and it’s more green and slightly more vibrant in person.  The CV2 is more vibrant and slightly less green than on the pictures.  So my guess is that the custom Taro color chips could be a bit more saturated in person than pictured, with a possible slight color shift.  I hoped for a very slightly more red shift of the initial mock ups.

I wonder if the modifiers will look basically black in indoor conditions.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline bjayswift

« Reply #208 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 06:07:00 »
Sample look great. Can't wait

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

TX1800V2

Offline ninjacore

« Reply #209 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 06:46:21 »
Alphas seem paler than the render and the mods seem a bit too dark. Tough to compare with no icons and only two, side by side, plus the lighting as you mention. Trusting your judgment 👍

Offline floristfran

• I Wanted a foam bath and i got a slimy eel bath
« Reply #210 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 07:58:43 »
Absolutely love the colors, hope they look as goode in person

Offline pwade3

« Reply #211 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 08:24:50 »
Hmm, from the renders I was expecting a slightly darker purple for the alphas, but I still think it looks good. The cyan I was however expecting to be greener, and in that case I'm not sure I like this color as much as I was expecting to.

The cyan has always been GMK's stock TU2, that's in the info in the OP, there's loads of sets that have used it if you want a better frame of reference!

Offline Carlobv

« Reply #212 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 08:49:25 »
I like the paler alphas personally. Are those samples accepted, or does the process continue?  This is my first key set GB, so not familiar with the process.

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
    • Guam Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #213 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 08:52:32 »
samples looking pretty good.

Offline pwade3

« Reply #214 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 09:03:12 »
I like the paler alphas personally. Are those samples accepted, or does the process continue?  This is my first key set GB, so not familiar with the process.

I've gotta decide whether I want to go into production with these colors or do a final batch of samples.

Glad the samples have come in!  Difficult to say what they look like in person, as I have that cyan in GMK Cyan and CMYK mods, and it’s more green and slightly more vibrant in person.  The CV2 is more vibrant and slightly less green than on the pictures.  So my guess is that the custom Taro color chips could be a bit more saturated in person than pictured, with a possible slight color shift.  I hoped for a very slightly more red shift of the initial mock ups.

Yeah, so unfortunately the weather for those pics was super overcast, so you're right, they're a little desaturated.

As far as the red shift, in the first batch of samples that I deemed too bad to show, my mod color was more on the red side of things and the way it played with the light was just not good at all. Too many situations where it looked more of a burgundy than dark purple.

The sun decided to pop out for a little bit, and I managed to get a quick pic showing just how much these purples change with lighting. So as far as looking "basically black" it really just depends on one's lighting setups.

Offline lee jeong woo

« Reply #215 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 09:18:49 »
I want alpha color to be darker.

Offline ninjacore

« Reply #216 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 10:32:41 »
The sunny side of the mod cap in that last pic looks right on. I also just noticed there’s a pretty stark difference between the render alpha color and the “kit detail” image alpha color. The new pics match the kit detail picture pretty well.

Offline RobotRogue

• No.
« Reply #217 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 10:39:38 »
Rad looking set!

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #218 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 14:18:11 »
The alpha color is a bit lighter than renders but it looks closer to actual taro bubble tea, imo. I prefer it like this.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #219 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 14:32:48 »

I've gotta decide whether I want to go into production with these colors or do a final batch of samples.

Yeah, so unfortunately the weather for those pics was super overcast, so you're right, they're a little desaturated.

As far as the red shift, in the first batch of samples that I deemed too bad to show, my mod color was more on the red side of things and the way it played with the light was just not good at all. Too many situations where it looked more of a burgundy than dark purple.

The sun decided to pop out for a little bit, and I managed to get a quick pic showing just how much these purples change with lighting. So as far as looking "basically black" it really just depends on one's lighting setups.

Yesh, I’m sure it’s not easy to find the right balance.  This is the look I personally fell in love with (darker and a touch more red/pink alphas—usually GMK’s 2-D renders are incorrect, but it looks like in this case the samples and that 2-D render match well):
More
If I’m in the minority, it’s not a big deal.  Ultimately each set should first satisfy the artistic vision of the creator.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Carlobv

« Reply #220 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 14:39:49 »

Yesh, I’m sure it’s not easy to find the right balance.  This is the look I personally fell in love with (darker and a touch more red/pink alphas—usually GMK’s 2-D renders are incorrect, but it looks like in this case the samples and that 2-D render match well):
More
Show Image
If I’m in the minority, it’s not a big deal.  Ultimately each set should first satisfy the artistic vision of the creator.

I'm totally fine with whatever is decided regarding the samples (didn't want my post to be misconstrued - not saying anyone was doing this - just for clarity only).  I was just more curious on how the entire process might go and if the samples would possibly delay shipping and what not.  I've gathered that GMK can be quite show based on other group buy threads.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #221 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 14:53:18 »
My thoughts: 

Alphas: Perfect, risky color that came out better than renders. 
Modifiers: Not that good. Imho too dark and too "blueish", light-dependent  yeah but not really close to renders. 
Yellow: Alright, good. Better than renders.     
Cyan: Alright, good. 

Offline flameray

« Reply #222 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 15:43:06 »
Dam the sample colors look so nice

Offline line

« Reply #223 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 17:18:53 »
Seeing those colours makes me regret not joining in on the GB even more, can't wait to scoop up a set of extras :)

Offline mrjack

« Reply #224 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 20:28:19 »

The cyan has always been GMK's stock TU2, that's in the info in the OP, there's loads of sets that have used it if you want a better frame of reference!

Oh, I missed that and thought it was one of your custom colors. I've actually seen it and it is what I was hoping for. Looking good!

Offline Rumblehotep

« Reply #225 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 20:35:26 »
Sweet just realized I have CV spacebars lying around from before I realized Nautilus yellow was custom color

Offline Shell058

• sheep sheep sheep
« Reply #226 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 03:02:50 »
I agree that the samples don't quite match the renders, but personally I like the samples more. I feel like they look really cohesive as a set. I can't wait to see the finished product!

Offline prelude46

« Reply #227 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 12:32:49 »
I like the darker alphas more, but ultimately it's designer choice on whether to go with current samples or not. I'm ok with whatever decision is made though.

Offline nxtruong

« Reply #228 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 13:13:52 »
Really want to see the final product. One of my most favorite sets  :thumb:

Offline sacklunch

« Reply #229 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 14:33:36 »
Darker alphas would be much preferred (like the original render). I would gladly wait longer to have the colors closer to the render.

Offline online

« Reply #230 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 14:39:29 »
Darker alphas would be much preferred (like the original render). I would gladly wait longer to have the colors closer to the render.
+1

I prefer the render alpha colour over the sample. The sample looks pale/ desaturated compare to render.

Offline whytwokay

« Reply #231 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 19:55:36 »
Loving this set! Especially after the color samples - I can't wait to see how the final product looks  :thumb:

Offline Jedi

« Reply #232 on: Sat, 09 June 2018, 12:44:01 »
This is one case where the GMK render

looks more like the actual samples

But the purple from the OP

would suggest the OP was desiring the purple shown in the Pantone

My two cents, would be another sample to be more in line with the OP's vision of the set (whichever that might be).

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #233 on: Sat, 09 June 2018, 12:54:51 »
This is one case where the GMK render
Show Image

looks more like the actual samples
Show Image

But the purple from the OP
Show Image

would suggest the OP was desiring the purple shown in the Pantone
Show Image

My two cents, would be another sample to be more in line with the OP's vision of the set (whichever that might be).

Are you talking about alphas or modifiers? 

Offline Jedi

« Reply #234 on: Sat, 09 June 2018, 13:02:48 »

Alphas

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #235 on: Sat, 09 June 2018, 14:16:11 »

Alphas

umm alphas is the only thing looking really good to me, imagine the renders color of alphas on plastic, would be garbage. 

The only thing different to me is modifiers color imho
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 June 2018, 14:18:31 by KaosJ »

Offline portbaron

« Reply #236 on: Sat, 09 June 2018, 15:06:28 »
Works for me.
| LIVING THE 1800 LIFE |

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #237 on: Sun, 10 June 2018, 11:51:08 »
Thanks for all the feedback, everyone! We appreciate the comments and make sure that we are taking in as much advice and constructive criticism as we can.

I'm including some pics of the caps in different lighting conditions. I think the alpha is very nice, and I think the mod (which again imo was the harder tone to hit) is a home run.

Below: alpha and mod bases in direct sunlight at 3pm on white background -

Below: alpha and mod in direct sunlight at 3pm on black background -

Very different between the two depending on light.

Below: alpha and mod in LED only light inside on black background -

Below: alpha and mod in mixed light inside on black background -

Personally, I believe these are great colors that work well together, and will make the set really stand out. I understand the criticism of the alpha base color. It's a bit lighter in pictures than it comes across in person. I think the first picture here is the one that makes the real color come across. I think they look great together, and as far as shifting in light, they do shift, but I don't think that is a bad thing, when that happens.

Below: alpha and mod with mixed (overhead conventional and LED) light inside on a black deskmat -

Offline Atredl

« Reply #238 on: Sun, 10 June 2018, 12:12:38 »
Glad to see these were chosen! If they fit your vision for the set, then I'm stoked!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Offline ReverbSlush

• 16/52 RNG score
« Reply #239 on: Sun, 10 June 2018, 13:57:33 »
aaaaaand I now realize that I don't understand colors and lighting.

that said, I trust your judgement and am looking forward to this set!

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #240 on: Sun, 10 June 2018, 14:25:45 »
Works for me.

Alright you got me.   Go for it! 

Offline Rumblehotep

« Reply #241 on: Sun, 10 June 2018, 19:34:28 »
Finally tried one of these Taro Boba Tea things on the way home and wow, I see what the fuss is about now

« Reply #242 on: Sun, 10 June 2018, 19:35:39 »
Gonna look so mint... well done!

Offline LeoShi

« Reply #243 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 00:11:57 »
 :-* good enough to me
 :p now I need to find some artisans that match this set
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 June 2018, 05:30:20 by LeoShi »

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
    • Guam Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #244 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 04:32:38 »
Thanks for all the feedback, everyone! We appreciate the comments and make sure that we are taking in as much advice and constructive criticism as we can.

I'm including some pics of the caps in different lighting conditions. I think the alpha is very nice, and I think the mod (which again imo was the harder tone to hit) is a home run.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Personally, I believe these are great colors that work well together, and will make the set really stand out. I understand the criticism of the alpha base color. It's a bit lighter in pictures than it comes across in person. I think the first picture here is the one that makes the real color come across. I think they look great together, and as far as shifting in light, they do shift, but I don't think that is a bad thing, when that happens.

Below: alpha and mod with mixed (overhead conventional and LED) light inside on a black deskmat -
Show Image

great shots. much excite for this keyset.

Offline umalip

« Reply #245 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 08:49:59 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

This completely works for me!  You hit the colors correctly in my opinion!  go for it!

Offline Ammomruoy

« Reply #246 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 10:03:21 »
Against the white background it looks near white but looks nice on the overhead conventional. I feel like taro now  :p

Offline aya3154

« Reply #247 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 10:14:12 »
Really like this keyset !  :p

Offline Max_P0

« Reply #248 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 19:51:37 »
Just remembered that I did order a set.

When are we expecting the shipment ? The samples look very nice...

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #249 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 08:08:55 »
We are currently working to secure a firm date with GMK. In moving through the sampling process, we needed to adjust our timetable to ensure that the colors matched the theme of the set.

We originally said an early July shipping date would be likely, but that is now essentially impossible. We believe a mid-August date is achievable at this point.

Thanks to all customers for your patience on this. If anyone has any questions or concerns, please let us know!