Author Topic: Wrist rests, for mice  (Read 10165 times)

Offline Zustiur

Wrist rests, for mice
« on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 03:41:01 »
I use an Evoluent VMouse, and have done for a very long time. Possibly 10 years. Long enough that my first was the v1.

I recently started working for a company who place a lot of emphasis on health and safety. They provided me with a left handed VMouse because I noted that I get pressure pain on the corner of my wrist, where it touches the desk. A few months later, I now get that same pain spot, on my left hand. I trundled down stairs to the ergonomics people, looking for some sort of gel pad to put under my wrist. In doing so I ran into another guy who uses a VMouse and was there looking for a gel pad, just like me.
The ergonomics guys did give us gel pads http://laptoppimp.com/laptop-accessories/mini-wrist-rest-from-fellowes/ but they're way too tall for use with a VMouse, and make mousing really awkward (causing an odd bend in the wrist).

So my question is; what are your favourite mouse-wrist-rests?  Especially those of you who use a vertical mouse.

Offline Zustiur

Re: Wrist rests, for mice
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 03:47:49 »
Actually, while I think about it...
I never had a much of a problem with this before I changed my mouse-pad.
I used to have a mouse pad which was sort of rubbery and was about 5 mm thick, with a bit of give. After many years of use it was so disgusting that I replaced it. My new mousepad is the thickness of thick paper or thin cardboard. It works brilliantly for mouse accuracy, but does nothing to provide padding what-so-ever.
So my second question is, what sort of mouse pads do you guys use?

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 06:22:53 »
Wrist rest: Allsop Wrist Assist. I use it only when I palm-grip — and move my whole arm. It has its own slides, so I keep my wrist straight, but don't bend it.

Offline phx

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 09:11:18 »
I used to use a wrist but then I got a thick cloth mousepad (steelseries QCK mass)
http://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-QcK-mass-Gaming-Mouse/dp/B001O867XG

the thickness itself is enough for my wrist to not feel any stress in long gaming sessions.

Offline Zustiur

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 19 November 2012, 03:35:05 »
I used to use a wrist but then I got a thick cloth mousepad (steelseries QCK mass)
http://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-QcK-mass-Gaming-Mouse/dp/B001O867XG

the thickness itself is enough for my wrist to not feel any stress in long gaming sessions.
Aside from the colour and branding, that looks exactly like what I used to have. I guess I have my answer. Get a mouse pad with padding!

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 19 November 2012, 05:02:48 »
http://www.amazon.com/IMAK-A10165-Wrist-Cushion-Black/dp/B000VBLF7K/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353322831&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=imac+ergo+beads

apperently highly rated. I have one and it absorbs sweat nicely but starts to smell after a while. You can wash with water and soap.
SmallFry! <3

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 19 November 2012, 13:49:15 »
Mine:
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline Zustiur

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 03:58:21 »
That's an interesting one! I take it the coil is for keeping the mouse-cable out of the way?
What brand/name is that pad, do you know?

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 19:40:59 »
Yes, the coil is a mouse bungee. Works surprisingly well, too.

It's a Forminco Mouse Arena.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline khaangaaroo

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 26 November 2012, 10:22:14 »
If you think the problem started when you switched to a thinner mouse pad, you can try putting a thicker mouse pad underneath just your wrist and forearm for support.

Something like this would probably work too: http://www.grifiti.com/products/grifiti-slim-wrist-pad-12-rest-apple%C2%AE-mac-mini-wireless-keyboard-bluetooth

As for me, I use the Icemat glass mousepad, now made by Steelseries and called the I-2. Along with some teflon tape from ebay to stick on the mouse feet. It feels super slick.

Offline MykB77

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 02 December 2012, 07:33:36 »
I second the Allsop Wrist Rest.  The fact they move with the mouse is key.  It takes a bit to get used to it being loose and not knocking it  off the table but these are amazing and only 10 bucks from Staples.

They use memory foam and are amazingly comfortable.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 02 December 2012, 13:28:12 »
I use a regular 1/4" thick mouse pad.

I am curious about the "Busty Mousepads" with the wrist rest shaped like a couple of boobs.

No, really. I have heard that it is bad to put pressure on the area of the middle of the wrist. If you used a "busty mouse pad" then the pressure would be on the sides of the wrist instead of the sensitive part. Too bad that they are not available in neutral black, because then I would have got one. NSFW otherwise ...

Offline Tony

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 03 December 2012, 01:53:18 »
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline Zustiur

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 03 December 2012, 02:26:37 »
I just bought two standard 1/4 inch mouse pads. One for home, the other for work. Hopefully that will do the trick.

There are wrist rests for mice with a similar SFW shape to the boob rest. Unfortunately they're not much good for a vertical mouse.

Offline islisis

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 12 December 2012, 09:24:06 »
You can try placing thin book under the mousepad to raise it closer to the height as the wrist rest. and if you like it find something more sturdier. I have an old gaming-style hard pad underneath the cloth pad I currently use. For my Evoluent it is fairly comfortable having the pad flush with the wrest at the same height, and this way I can even keep moving the mouse over the wrist rest in a fix ;)

Also I place an extra rest in front along the edge of the desk to support forearms/elbows, and likewise do the same for my left keyboard arm. To me this is the comfortable addition to any desk setup I know of.

« Last Edit: Thu, 13 December 2012, 13:29:02 by islisis »

Offline Zustiur

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 03:19:42 »
You can try placing thin book under the mousepad to raise it closer to the height as the wrist rest.
That's a good point, but it would only be a partial solution. The Gel pad thing I was given just throws all the ergonmic angles out of the window.

While the 4mm mousepads haven't solved the problem, they have definitely reduced the severity, which at least gives me time to consider other options. There's a store near my house that sells various rubbers and plastics. I'll take a look there and perhaps create my own solution out of various things.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 16 December 2012, 21:30:28 »
I'm a fan of the Imak Ergobead wrist rests. I'm currently using this one. A friend at work gave me one when I mentioned I wanted a wrist rest and it's pretty great. Plus it doubles up as a stress ball.

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 20 December 2012, 22:51:46 »
My ergo beads don't double as a squeeze ball! Though I do like to use mine at times. I just falls off my desk or gets sweaty after Iuse them for a while. Most ccomfortable wrist rest that I have tried. Gets less sweaty than those 3m gels by a lot. Being washable is very nice too.
SmallFry! <3

Offline Zustiur

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 18:26:56 »
I just bought a large sheet of spongy rubber. I think the guy in the shop called it PVA, but there's no label or anything on it to confirm that. My intention is to cut it to size and shape and use at to 'soften' the desk for the entire length of both my arms. Again, I'm not certain that this will 'solve' the problem, but I think it will help.
The gel palm rest was too tall, made me bend my wrist awkwardly, and transferred the desk contact pressure to my elbow.
The 4mm mouse mat reduces the pain, but also shifts a lot of the desk contact pressure to my elbow.
In theory, having my entire arm supported on something with a bit of softness to it will avoid the elbow issue, while still reducing the pain in my hand/palm. I dare say further refinements will happen after that.

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 26 December 2012, 17:15:12 »
I think I dont like big things because I wouldnt be able to move them around if they got sweaty.
SmallFry! <3

Offline Norman

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 27 December 2012, 08:50:12 »
I got detachable, silicon-beads filled cushions along with my desk:

do not be puzzled by the tilted edge - it is angle variable and can be same level as the desk top.  ;)
« Last Edit: Thu, 27 December 2012, 08:52:29 by Norman »

Offline typo

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 21:23:20 »
I find any mouse wrist rest causes me discomfort. best option for me is a thick mousepad. for keyboards a hard wrist rest is best for me. ie, wood. sometimes I find things can be over-ergonomic. try to rest your wrist on the pad and just pivot your wrist without moving your arm. of course if you are gaming that is probably not an option.

Offline Lbeuol

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 02:43:04 »
Yea I tried a wrist rest for my mouse for awhile but all it did was make my wrist ache more and more.

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 08:58:21 »
I had a wrist rest for a while but i moved on to none when i started playing with lower DPI (lower dpi = move mouse mouvement. Can't stay static).

I have wrists rests for my other hand while playing. My Nostromo has a wrist rest and my keyboard has one too, because my left hand is static when i play games.
See my blog here : https://delitech.live

Poker II - Brown MX

Ducky One II TKL - Silver MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline figit090

• RGB LED Kinesis Contoured
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 23:11:39 »
I had a wrist rest for a while but i moved on to none when i started playing with lower DPI (lower dpi = move mouse mouvement. Can't stay static).

I have wrists rests for my other hand while playing. My Nostromo has a wrist rest and my keyboard has one too, because my left hand is static when i play games.

Same here, someone recommended asking tempur-pedic for a sample, as it was the best wrist rest ever, and free.   made my wrist ache and now i get non stop adverts from them about once every few weeks, lol.

Offline calavera

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 00:52:09 »
I just use a silicon + pad all in one thingy I bought at office depot I think.

Offline Zustiur

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 08:31:56 »
I should probably chime in on my own situation huh?
The 'pva' rubber sheet I bought works very well for solving my problem at work. At home my desk is a totally different size and shape. Not big enough for 'arm support'. I find that using my right hand on the 4mm mouse pad at home does the trick unless I'm at the PC for a very long stretch (8 hours at a new game for example).
At work using my left arm supported on the pva, with my mouse and edge of my hand on the 4mm pad everything is good. There's enough of the pva in one sheet that I was able to cut it to shape for use as my wrist rest in front of the keyboard too. It comes with an adhesive backing but I haven't stuck it down because (in theory) I'll be moving back to my old desk when this project finishes.

Currently 9 months into a 3 month project though, so lord only knows when it will finish.