Author Topic: Ortek White Alps Keyboard - $50  (Read 13800 times)

Offline Rayndalf

Ortek White Alps Keyboard - $50
« on: Fri, 12 June 2020, 04:03:46 »
The case is a bit rough, but the doubleshot keycaps look decent (big ass enter and 1U backspace, but with colored legends on Alt and Control). White Alps aren't the best, but this is probably a great way to get some.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/293530058037?

Offline Maledicted

Re: Ortek White Alps Keyboard - $50
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 12 June 2020, 18:35:39 »
Tempting. It looks dirty enough that the switches may be shot though.

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 12 June 2020, 19:01:47 »
Yeah, white Alps might not be the most fragile Alps switch, but Alps are very condition dependent. Even in good condition White Alps can be disappointing.

Salmon Alps are so bizarre to me, the tactile leaf is one of the stupidest things I've seen because the switches are so satisfying without it (slightly pingy, but the sound is low pitched and smooth even without lube). Can white Alps be linear modded or is the click part of the contact leaf?

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 12 June 2020, 19:53:50 »
Yeah, white Alps might not be the most fragile Alps switch, but Alps are very condition dependent. Even in good condition White Alps can be disappointing.

Salmon Alps are so bizarre to me, the tactile leaf is one of the stupidest things I've seen because the switches are so satisfying without it (slightly pingy, but the sound is low pitched and smooth even without lube). Can white Alps be linear modded or is the click part of the contact leaf?

I'm actually eyeing up a salmon Alps board right now. I don't have any yet. I'm pretty sure you could linearize SKCM whites by removing the clicky leaf from the housing entirely. The first SKCM/SKCL switches were linears. The tactile and clicky leaves were later additions to the design, which were placed on the opposite side of the switch housing from the contacts.

Offline funkmon

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 12 June 2020, 20:47:29 »

I think, and I might be wrong here, you can just take the leaf out. I linearized one of my older keyboards as a test but I no longer remember if it was black or white alps, or which keyboard.