Author Topic: [GB] Gateron Switch (CLOSED)  (Read 459786 times)

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
Re: [GB] Gateron Switches
« Reply #350 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 10:54:04 »
hwood do you offer any kind of warranty on these switches?
Don't you trust based Tyrone?
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline billnye

• ability man
« Reply #351 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 10:55:18 »

.-. Bill please, no trolling now
I was honestly wondering if Gateron had any kind of warranty service in place.

Offline billnye

• ability man
« Reply #352 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 10:55:39 »

I don't trust Europeans

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #353 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 10:59:20 »
Warranty for a 24 cents per part discrete switch? Come on. Take some perspective pal.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #354 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 10:59:57 »

I don't trust Europeans
Cherry, GMK cough cough
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #355 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 11:07:33 »

I don't trust Europeans
Cherry, GMK cough cough

Ohhhhhh Snaaaaaaaaaap
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #356 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 11:26:27 »
Warranty for a 24 cents per part discrete switch? Come on. Take some perspective pal.
MX switches cost less than that when sold in bulk to keyboard OEMs. Unfortunately they have 12+ month lead times on new purchases at the moment.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #357 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 11:30:33 »
MX switches cost less than that when sold in bulk to keyboard OEMs. Unfortunately they have 12+ month lead times on new purchases at the moment.

Does that imply we can set a GB for them? or that applies to OEMs only? Even considering the one year lead time. Does them have warranty?

Offline samsonite727

« Reply #358 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 11:33:38 »
Just a heads up for everyone. I don't know if this affects anyone's decision on whether or not to buy these switches.

I built my JD45 prototype with Gateron blacks this weekend. Sorry, no pics yet. The Gateron blacks are very smooth, with no gritty feeling like MX switches have when new and stock. The stiffness of the springs in the blacks feels like a 67-68g Korean spring. If you like linears, but want just a touch lighter than stock MX blacks, these are a great option to use stock, with NO LUBING OR SPRING SWAPPING REQUIRED.

Also, the PCB mount pins on the underside of the switch housing DO NOT REQUIRE MODIFICATION TO USE WITH PCB MOUNT HOLES IN A PCB. They require just a bit more force to install into the holes than a standard MX switch, but once you push them in, they are VERY SECURE. If you pull the switch out and re-seat it, it feels just like a stock MX switch with regard to tightness of the PCB mount pins. There are little "micro fins" on the PCB mount pins of the Gaterons which help secure the switch even more tightly than an MX switch the first time it is installed in a PCB. Once these are compressed and pulled out, they are basically at Cherry spec, so they should be the same as new stock MX switches.

I was skeptical at first, of using a "clone" switch in place of my trusty MX switches. But I am buying these with no hesitation to use in all my future builds. If I could afford to buy 5,000 of them at once, that's how many I would buy.

BUY THESE SWITCHES.

thanks for the review, I was under the impression that blacks had default 50g springs. Am I to assume that Korean springs are measured differently?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #359 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 11:37:29 »
thanks for the review, I was under the impression that blacks had default 50g springs. Am I to assume that Korean springs are measured differently?

You're welcome. :)

Korean springs are measured by the force required to bottom out the switch, not at the actuation point.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #360 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 11:38:11 »
Just a heads up for everyone. I don't know if this affects anyone's decision on whether or not to buy these switches.

I built my JD45 prototype with Gateron blacks this weekend. Sorry, no pics yet. The Gateron blacks are very smooth, with no gritty feeling like MX switches have when new and stock. The stiffness of the springs in the blacks feels like a 67-68g Korean spring. If you like linears, but want just a touch lighter than stock MX blacks, these are a great option to use stock, with NO LUBING OR SPRING SWAPPING REQUIRED.

Also, the PCB mount pins on the underside of the switch housing DO NOT REQUIRE MODIFICATION TO USE WITH PCB MOUNT HOLES IN A PCB. They require just a bit more force to install into the holes than a standard MX switch, but once you push them in, they are VERY SECURE. If you pull the switch out and re-seat it, it feels just like a stock MX switch with regard to tightness of the PCB mount pins. There are little "micro fins" on the PCB mount pins of the Gaterons which help secure the switch even more tightly than an MX switch the first time it is installed in a PCB. Once these are compressed and pulled out, they are basically at Cherry spec, so they should be the same as new stock MX switches.

I was skeptical at first, of using a "clone" switch in place of my trusty MX switches. But I am buying these with no hesitation to use in all my future builds. If I could afford to buy 5,000 of them at once, that's how many I would buy.

BUY THESE SWITCHES.

Ah yes, that's the word I'm looking for -- "Micro fins". I guess it really depends on your PCB's PCB mount hole tolerances. Some may be wider than others. On the few I tested, it was possible to force in, but would require lots of effort so I was clipping one micro fin (there are 3 fins per PCB pin about as thin as a hair) on each outside to make it a snug fit.
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #361 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 11:39:37 »
stock blue/brown/red MX springs are 60g on the Korean scale, and black MX springs are 80

Offline samsonite727

« Reply #362 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 11:53:05 »
thanks for the replies, you guys are quick. How does a mixture of blacks and clears sound for my ergodox build? Blacks for the main alphabet keys and clears surrounding those key including the thump cluster keys. But enough black keys to cover the keyboard since clears seem to be bought for aesthetics. Decisions, decisions....

Offline RavenII

« Reply #363 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 11:54:07 »
I'm still trying to figure out if the Gat Browns are more like MX browns, or MX clears as far as tactility goes.

Offline VanGhost

« Reply #364 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 11:56:59 »
thanks for the replies, you guys are quick. How does a mixture of blacks and clears sound for my ergodox build? Blacks for the main alphabet keys and clears surrounding those key including the thump cluster keys. But enough black keys to cover the keyboard since clears seem to be bought for aesthetics. Decisions, decisions....
I think typically people choose to use heavier keys for modifiers and their spacebar because usually when you go for those keys it is more deliberate and also having heavier keys would make pressing them on accident less likely. So for you I might switch it around so that you have clears for alphabet and blacks for spacebar/modifiers. Just my .02

Offline samsonite727

« Reply #365 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 12:07:27 »
I like to update my order, 80 blacks and 40 clears plz. PM sent.
thanks

Offline RavenII

« Reply #366 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 12:11:02 »
I think typically people choose to use heavier keys for modifiers and their spacebar because usually when you go for those keys it is more deliberate and also having heavier keys would make pressing them on accident less likely. So for you I might switch it around so that you have clears for alphabet and blacks for spacebar/modifiers. Just my .02

You know, I agree with you VG, but I've read alot of people have that opinion on layout. Heavier in the middle, lighter outsides. I personally swapped my mods for Clears, and kept my Red alphas, and love it...but I could see how some might want lighter mods because those fingers are usually pinky/ring...not as...strong? I dunno, all I know is that I'd do the heavier on the outside, lighter on the in.

Offline qwack

« Reply #367 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 12:15:43 »

Pure Pro w/MX Red - [review]

Offline johndavis730

• puck king dg4l
« Reply #368 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 12:16:42 »
i hope all 4 get 20k orders!

come on people!

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #369 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 13:06:42 »
I'm still trying to figure out if the Gat Browns are more like MX browns, or MX clears as far as tactility goes.

I am interested, too. Maybe they're an alternative to Ergo Clears. I've heard that Greetech Brown switches are more tactile than MX Browns. Can someone explain how the Gateron Browns feel?

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #370 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 13:15:32 »

I am interested, too. Maybe they're an alternative to Ergo Clears. I've heard that Greetech Brown switches are more tactile than MX Browns. Can someone explain how the Gateron Browns feel?
Also interested.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #371 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 13:18:18 »
In my opinions Gaterons browns are almost equivalent to Cherries, but I didn't spend time on them, just a few clicks and I was like "yeah similar to cherry mx poop let's not waste time here"
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline ROFLmonstar

« Reply #372 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 13:46:34 »
So even though I haven't replied to a few of the PMs I got recently, rest assured that every order has been updated

Great! I was worried for a second you were overwhelmed by the PMs and mine got lost or something.

Too bad the reds were dropped.

Offline Vintage

« Reply #373 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 14:58:37 »
In my opinions Gaterons browns are almost equivalent to Cherries, but I didn't spend time on them, just a few clicks and I was like "yeah similar to cherry mx poop let's not waste time here"

LOL
CM QFR w/ MX Reds  | Logitech G900

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #374 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 15:01:15 »

Also interested.
Check the OP, some have written comparison (including me) .

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #375 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 15:18:36 »

Also interested.

I've read through your review but focused on Blacks and Clears, my mistake.

Quote from: Ngt
  • MX Brown vs Gateron Brown: as the other comparison I made about gateron vs MX, it seems that the gateron has a bit more smoothness in them. This the time where I wish I had some clears on hand so I could compare with the Brown. I don't remember them. I tried clears a long time ago and my taste in keyboard wasn't so developed (it was new to me). I think I might like them again but I'm not sure. I feel that their tactility is about the same between this two browns and it is inferior to my Topre board. If I had to take an equivalent in MX for Topre, it wouldn't be Browns for sure.

Doesn't sound like they're particularly more tactile.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #376 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 16:14:30 »

Also interested.

I've read through your review but focused on Blacks and Clears, my mistake.

Quote from: Ngt
  • MX Brown vs Gateron Brown: as the other comparison I made about gateron vs MX, it seems that the gateron has a bit more smoothness in them. This the time where I wish I had some clears on hand so I could compare with the Brown. I don't remember them. I tried clears a long time ago and my taste in keyboard wasn't so developed (it was new to me). I think I might like them again but I'm not sure. I feel that their tactility is about the same between this two browns and it is inferior to my Topre board. If I had to take an equivalent in MX for Topre, it wouldn't be Browns for sure.

Doesn't sound like they're particularly more tactile.
They seem a bit more tactile but still felt like they have some kind of sand in it that the plastic scratches against. Nonetheless keep in mind that it is purely subjective. I don't particularly enjoy them but you may.

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline abjr

• abjr.org
« Reply #377 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 16:45:08 »
They require just a bit more force to install into the holes than a standard MX switch, but once you push them in, they are VERY SECURE.

That must be due to the maximum girth, eh? :)
CM QFR | magicforce 68 (Gateron) | magicforce 68 (Outemu) | Acros 6311-K

Offline Ripudio

« Reply #378 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 17:04:50 »
It's gotten to the point where there is too much for me to read through to make sure I'm not asking a question that's already been answered:

1) Was it 20k as in dollars for the total order? Or 20k switches, because apparently 20k switches was too easy :P

2) Is it cool to amend our orders once we get to the better price tier? I'd be find with spending the same $50 and get 50% more switches...

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #379 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 17:08:56 »
It's gotten to the point where there is too much for me to read through to make sure I'm not asking a question that's already been answered:

1) Was it 20k as in dollars for the total order? Or 20k switches, because apparently 20k switches was too easy :P

2) Is it cool to amend our orders once we get to the better price tier? I'd be find with spending the same $50 and get 50% more switches...

1) 20k switches for each color of switch
2) well no one can stop you from doing that, but if everyone does , we won't reach the numbers for sure. And if you look at the number in the OP we already almost reached it for 2/4 colors for only 5/23 days of sale.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #380 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 17:10:07 »

1) Was it 20k as in dollars for the total order? Or 20k switches, because apparently 20k switches was too easy :p

20k units will make the price per unit to drop to 16 cents per switch.

Offline SpikeBolt

• √(4) != -2
« Reply #381 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 17:14:28 »
I real all reviews but none of them satisfied my curiosity and I didn't find the answers I was looking for in this thread. I'm a MX reds user and wanted some gateron reds which unfortunately were dropped.

So, a couple questions for someone who enjoys reds and has tried gateron clears/blacks:

1) Do you feel clears are too light?
2) Do you gateron blacks are significantly lighter than mx blacks? Would you say they are close to mx reds?
3) Which would you prefer: gateron clears or black?

Thanks in advance :P

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #382 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 17:19:08 »
I real all reviews but none of them satisfied my curiosity and I didn't find the answers I was looking for in this thread. I'm a MX reds user and wanted some gateron reds which unfortunately were dropped.

So, a couple questions for someone who enjoys reds and has tried gateron clears/blacks:

1) Do you feel clears are too light?
2) Do you gateron blacks are significantly lighter than mx blacks? Would you say they are close to mx reds?
3) Which would you prefer: gateron clears or black?

Thanks in advance :P
1) yeah unusable stock
2) only slightly, stiffer than mx red. mx red are 45g gateron blacks 60g , mx black 65g .
3) blacks because almost perfect stock, clears if you will mod anyway and prefer the look.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #383 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 17:27:19 »

:cool:
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #384 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 17:28:22 »
Holy cow!...dropping one color worked.
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 February 2015, 17:32:16 by ideus »

Offline awhitedev

« Reply #385 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 18:36:56 »
I bet blacks are getting close at this point too. I better get my order in.

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #386 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 18:44:11 »
I see a lot of people saying that clears are unusably light so why are the numbers so high for them? aesthetics?
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #387 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 18:45:49 »
I see a lot of people saying that clears are unusably light so why are the numbers so high for them? aesthetics?
Yep!

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #388 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 18:47:07 »
Yep!

I suppose it makes sense as most of us would be opening them to lube them anyways so a spring swap isn't any more work.
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #389 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 18:48:45 »
Yep!

I suppose it makes sense as most of us would be opening them to lube them anyways so a spring swap isn't any more work.
I don't plan on lubing mine when I get them, I plan on swapping the springs in the blacks to the clears, that way they are blacks with a clear stem.

Offline johndavis730

• puck king dg4l
« Reply #390 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 18:50:53 »
Show Image

NICE! Now we just need to get the blacks to 20k and I can put in my order!  :thumb:

I wish I wasn't so low on funds so I can commit now...

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #391 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 18:52:33 »
Show Image

NICE! Now we just need to get the blacks to 20k and I can put in my order!  :thumb:

we're close enough to blacks now that I'd just buy em up to 20k if need be, so order without fear :thumb:

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline johndavis730

• puck king dg4l
« Reply #392 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 19:02:00 »
Show Image

we're close enough to blacks now that I'd just buy em up to 20k if need be, so order without fear :thumb:

STOP TWISTING MY ARM!!  :p

Ohh okay fine you convinced me

edit: order placed :) 90 clears/90 blacks
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 February 2015, 19:10:24 by johndavis730 »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #393 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 19:20:01 »
Oh yeah, forgot that I added 200 more blacks to my order. ;)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #394 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 19:20:34 »
Show Image

STOP TWISTING MY ARM!!  :p

Ohh okay fine you convinced me

edit: order placed :) 90 clears/90 blacks
:-*

Offline samsonite727

« Reply #395 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 19:22:40 »
Show Image

Awesome! Patiently waiting to get my hands on them.  Now all that is left is to find a cheap set of ergodox keycaps.

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #396 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 20:12:30 »
Show Image

Awesome! Patiently waiting to get my hands on them.  Now all that is left is to find a cheap set of ergodox keycaps.

If you don't mind DSA blank keycaps, you can buy an Ergodox Base set + Modifier set at Pimp My Keyboard. It'll cost you $47.

Offline StinkyTheDonut

• I like rubber domes.
« Reply #397 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 20:18:23 »
Since 20k looks so easy now, is there possibly another price drop?
40k? 100k? Hahahahaha...
I only have a washable keyboard.

Offline samsonite727

« Reply #398 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 20:19:02 »
Show Image

If you don't mind DSA blank keycaps, you can buy an Ergodox Base set + Modifier set at Pimp My Keyboard. It'll cost you $47.

Ya i looked into it; however, I live in Canada so with the Canadian dollar in a slump and shipping it comes to $71. Which I think is the cheapest I can find.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #399 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 20:51:17 »
I just upped my order on clears and browns. Come on people. Help me get these browns to 20k.