Author Topic: [GB] Gateron Switch (CLOSED)  (Read 459733 times)

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
Re: [GB] Gateron Switches
« Reply #550 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 14:18:55 »
still fighting myself on putting in a order. i don't need more keyboards. but if these are now down to 16 cents a switch. somebody please give me a reason not to buy these.
I tried, but I can not think of one. Everyone always needs more keyboards.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #551 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 14:25:00 »

still fighting myself on putting in a order. i don't need more keyboards. but if these are now down to 16 cents a switch. somebody please give me a reason not to buy these.

You definitely need to order like 1000 blacks. You'll be swapping out the switches in all your current builds. :D
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #552 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 14:25:18 »
In for 300 blacks  :) Canceling Massdrop order.  :thumb:
good man :thumb:

I tried, but I can not think of one. Everyone always needs more keyboards.
+1
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline VanGhost

« Reply #553 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 14:30:18 »
I'm ready for my clears.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #554 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 14:36:24 »

You definitely need to order like 1000 blacks. You'll be swapping out the switches in all your current builds. :D

:P, im less of a linear fan these days, i was thinking actually of putting in a large order of gaterade blues :)

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #555 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 14:43:10 »

:P, im less of a linear fan these days, i was thinking actually of putting in a large order of gaterade blues :)
that would do as well, need to hit dat 20k

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #556 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 15:03:25 »

:p , im less of a linear fan these days, i was thinking actually of putting in a large order of gaterade blues :)

Go for it!

Offline superbia

« Reply #557 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 03:40:06 »
Ordered 150, just under the 22euros to avoid taxing (or atleast i hope i wont get taxed)...

I also think that after this GB there will be more feedback about the gaterons,
and i hope there will be a next GB soon enough    :thumb:
Where so you guys live? My import limit for not being taxed is 150€.

Im from Croatia, and the other guy is from Italy.
We both seem to have 23 eur limit for non-gift packages and 45 eur limit for gift packages.

But imagine the guy at the costums opening the package, and seeing individiual cherry mx switch price on the digikey/mouser, and taxing my package based on that price...  :eek: That is why im still condsidering about ordering more... But I dont know how the package labelling will look like, will it be labeled as a gift and will the true price be indicated.  :rolleyes:

Also we are still allowed to change our orders (its not 12th yet)...   :rolleyes:
Keebio Iris 2.8 (Alps) X Colemak Mod-DH

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #558 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 03:46:33 »
Ordered 150, just under the 22euros to avoid taxing (or atleast i hope i wont get taxed)...

We both seem to have 23 eur limit for non-gift packages and 45 eur limit for gift packages.

But imagine the guy at the costums opening the package, and seeing individiual cherry mx switch price on the digikey/mouser, and taxing my package based on that price...  :eek: That is why im still condsidering about ordering more... But I dont know how the package labelling will look like, will it be labeled as a gift and will the true price be indicated.  :rolleyes:

Also we are still allowed to change our orders (its not 12th yet)...   :rolleyes:
You can change, send a new order and pm Hwood34 to cancel the first one.
Will probably be declared with false value.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline StinkyTheDonut

• I like rubber domes.
« Reply #559 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 03:49:47 »
Do blues use gateron's 60g or 45g spring?
I realized I never found out for a fact.
I only have a washable keyboard.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #560 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 04:01:55 »
60g

Check the links in the Op guys.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline superbia

« Reply #561 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 04:19:51 »

You can change, send a new order and pm Hwood34 to cancel the first one.
Will probably be declared with false value.

I am still waiting for more info/details/talk before i opt for more switches  :rolleyes:
But it is nice to be able to change the order  :thumb:
Keebio Iris 2.8 (Alps) X Colemak Mod-DH

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #562 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 07:21:33 »
60g

Huh? The form says 55g. hwood34?

You need to keep the concepts separate also. Cherry MX has pressure point 60g, actuation point 50g and bottoms out at 60g ... using the same spring as Cherry MX Red which has actuation point at 45g.
Cherry MX switches are usually measured by force at pressure point. Cherry MX springs measured by force at actuation point as if in a linear switch, and korean springs measured by bottom-out force.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #563 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 07:37:07 »
The number of coins you could place on a switch to collapse it, is what better represents the force needed to actuate it. Springs are measured by their module, but the switch is a more complex mechanism than the spring alone, so again, the best way to get an idea how much force it needs is the force to make it fully depressed, as an assembly, not by measuring its spring module alone.

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #564 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 09:27:52 »
I went from 110 blacks to 100 blacks and 100 clears to (after reading JD's posts) 300 blacks.  :o

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #565 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 09:32:12 »
So what do I need to order to approximate MX clears?  I guess combine parts from two types, but which ones?
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #566 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 09:34:29 »
I think Browns, but you should probably apply some googlefu

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #567 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 09:36:31 »
So what do I need to order to approximate MX clears?  I guess combine parts from two types, but which ones?
no gaterons replicate mx clears, gateron browns are barely different from their cherry counterpart.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #568 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 09:36:47 »

I don't think your going to get an MX Clear experience from any gateron switch without putting an MX Clear stem into one, which is exactly what I plan to do. I've got some old/used/vintage/aged/whatever MX clear stem that need a new home anyway.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #569 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 09:42:58 »
Ok thanks guys.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #570 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 09:46:45 »

I don't think your going to get an MX Clear experience from any gateron switch without putting an MX Clear stem into one, which is exactly what I plan to do. I've got some old/used/vintage/aged/whatever MX clear stem that need a new home anyway.

Do you have some of those stems you may want to part with?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #571 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 09:47:26 »

Nope

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #572 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 09:52:24 »

Nope

Well, I had to ask, just in case.  8)

Offline RavenII

« Reply #573 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 12:02:15 »
Worth Noting: http://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/2xcp6b/testing_all_the_clones/

Thought it's a bit dis-concerning to see that Gat. Blacks are = to MX Blacks...I might definitely have to change my order it that's the case...

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #574 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 12:24:56 »
Worth Noting: http://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/2xcp6b/testing_all_the_clones/

Thought it's a bit dis-concerning to see that Gat. Blacks are = to MX Blacks...I might definitely have to change my order it that's the case...

That's not what I read on your link:

• Kailh Black is a bit smoother than MX Black
  • Gateron Black is even smoother than the Kailh
  • Noppoo Black is even "scratchier" than MX Black

Btw what aspects are you comparing the spring force or the feel?
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 February 2015, 12:26:44 by Ngt »

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #575 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 12:27:45 »

You misread that, The Gateron Blacks feel really smooth. Definitely better than MX Blacks.

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #576 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 12:28:52 »

I'm comparing feeling. Nickels can be found here.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #577 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 12:35:11 »

not what I read on your link:

I know you where comparing the feeling. My question was towards RavenII because he said they are the same but he didn't say based on what.

I'll look the nickels comparison. I have gateron switch tester with their MX counterparts and my gblack seems heavier than the mx black I have on it.

EDIT: are you using the korean method to weight down your switches? I guess raven was talking about the force of the gblack. Indeed they seem similar considering the force required to use them. I thought they were lighter in fact. I'll have to buy some more springs in that case.
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 February 2015, 12:40:04 by Ngt »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #578 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 12:42:21 »

You misread that, The Gateron Blacks feel really smooth. Definitely better than MX Blacks.

What are those little trays you have the switches in??

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #579 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 13:01:15 »
I should listen, so I will get a few extra blacks.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #580 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 13:10:28 »

"First impressions: Gateron Blacks and Reds as well as Greetech Reds are super smooth."

Offline RavenII

« Reply #581 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 13:17:39 »

Sorry, I should have clarified that...I meant that the...weight? see, that's where things take a turn for me...is it actuation weight? or bottom out? anyhow, I meant the weight, I've been looking for something a bit lighter than MX Blacks, but heavier than MX Reds...as it turns out, it seems as if I should have opted for the Gateron Reds...which now I wish were still a part of the GB...

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #582 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 13:20:17 »
Nickels on one single switch is not science. A better measurement would be the force curve, not simply the bottom out force.

FWIW, I put 65g Korean springs in MX blacks with lube, and they definitely feel lighter than stock MX blacks. I don't have nickels to prove it, but they sure FEEL lighter. And the Gateron blacks feel very similar to that.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline MichaelBrock

« Reply #583 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 13:27:44 »

According to this comparison the gateron browns are less tactile than the mx browns.   I really want tactile and it is looking like I should probably hold out until I can get the MX clears at a reasonable price.  End game board and all that.  There was/is a Massdrop vote on keys that included a GB for cherry switches.  I hope it comes to pass. 

thanks for the link!

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #584 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 13:36:01 »

What are those little trays you have the switches in??
The trays came with the set.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #585 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 13:37:19 »
Interesting. This just confirm we need our orders been delivered to start our very own hands-on experience with Gaterons. Who cares about curves, or nickels, if "our" very own feeling is the only thing that matters.

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #586 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 13:37:55 »
Nickels on one single switch is not science. A better measurement would be the force curve, not simply the bottom out force.

FWIW, I put 65g Korean springs in MX blacks with lube, and they definitely feel lighter than stock MX blacks. I don't have nickels to prove it, but they sure FEEL lighter. And the Gateron blacks feel very similar to that.
Yeah, I wish I had the tools to record some force graphs.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #587 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 13:55:01 »

Well a 65g korean springs is lighter than a stock MX black spring, isn't it? Based on that thread and deskhtority wiki which says that MX black are 60cN at actuation point. So it would make sense that they feel lighter than the stock one.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #588 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 13:57:01 »
deskhtority wiki which says that MX black are 60cN at actuation point

This is why I have a hard time understanding wlhlm's test that measured MX black at 65g bottom out. It really only takes 5g more force to bottom out the switch from actuation? It should be more like 15g.

in memoriam

Offline RavenII

« Reply #589 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 14:14:55 »

Right, after thinking about it a bit longer, I realized that the "nickel test" doesn't mean much, if you really think about it, stock MX Clears don't take much to actuate, but RIGHT after the bump, they stiffen up...so yeah, Force Curve would be the more definitive approach....

This is why I have a hard time understanding wlhlm's test that measured MX black at 65g bottom out. It really only takes 5g more force to bottom out the switch from actuation? It should be more like 15g.

More to the point...Massdrop has them listed at 50g...which would concur with your guess...

Yeah, I wish I had the tools to record some force graphs.

I was trying to come up with something using an arduino...so many ideas so little time...

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #590 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 14:15:35 »

Just to make it clear, I just compared the feeling. The measurements took someone else (wscarlton), who happened to post it at almost the same time.
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 February 2015, 14:17:20 by wlhlm »

Offline StinkyTheDonut

• I like rubber domes.
« Reply #591 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 16:49:15 »
60g

Huh? The form says 55g. hwood34?

You need to keep the concepts separate also. Cherry MX has pressure point 60g, actuation point 50g and bottoms out at 60g ... using the same spring as Cherry MX Red which has actuation point at 45g.
Cherry MX switches are usually measured by force at pressure point. Cherry MX springs measured by force at actuation point as if in a linear switch, and korean springs measured by bottom-out force.
I have seen some say 55g.
I've also seen one review that says 75g bottom out, and 70g actuation.
These numbers don't even match the listed force of the individual springs that are on offer...
I still don't know how Gateron measures their springs either.
What are supposedly Gateron springs are listed like this: 35g, 40g, 45g, 60g, 62g, 67g, 80g, 150g.
I assume they actually use all of these springs in actual switches, so none of these are just made to be sold individually.
I'm probably wrong, but if that's the case, which ones actually go into which of their switches?
All I know for sure is 35g belongs to the clears.
I only have a washable keyboard.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #592 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 16:53:26 »
Just to clarify, I'm using actuation point force so people can more easily make comparisons to Cherry MX

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #593 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 16:55:05 »
Does that mean that the statements about Ch. Clears not having a similar between Gs. is inaccurate?

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #594 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 16:58:11 »
Does that mean that the statements about Ch. Clears not having a similar between Gs. is inaccurate?
You mean similar weights? And yes, Gclears are substantially lighter than MX clears

Offline crazystu

« Reply #595 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 17:12:12 »
Put in an order for some Gateron Clears and Blacks. Thanks for setting this up!

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #596 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 17:19:27 »
You mean similar weights? And yes, Gclears are substantially lighter than MX clears

Emphasis on substantially

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #597 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 17:23:46 »
Can someone try something for me and tell me how strong the tops are as I just hulked my clear tops open just now after just finishing to solder all the leds in :X

So can you tell me if they break easily or are they pretty solid? more like cherry tops :x

I'm sad now :c
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #598 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 18:03:11 »
Can someone try something for me and tell me how strong the tops are as I just hulked my clear tops open just now after just finishing to solder all the leds in :X

So can you tell me if they break easily or are they pretty solid? more like cherry tops :x

They're more flexible and less brittle than the Abostudio ones

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #599 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 18:13:47 »

They're more flexible and less brittle than the Abostudio ones

Somewhere it is stated they are made of different plastics, being Abo's the one with less tensile strength that makes them more fragile therefore they may brake under pressure while being removed.