Author Topic: Opinions on Razer?  (Read 43253 times)

Offline jcoffin1981

Opinions on Razer?
« on: Sun, 10 October 2021, 03:18:56 »
I have a Death Adder which I pruchased about 5-6 years ago.  While I loved the ergonomic shape, 3 out of 4 of the buttons had double click issues, the mouse always felt hot, and it always felt rather cheap when being handled.  The top buttons felt mushy and the case kind of flexed when you squeeze.  I was wondering what the general opinion is currently for Razer products?  I've purchased several mice looking for a new favorite - Razer has several I am interested in the Mamba and Basilisk.  I do feel like they are slightly overpriced and a lot of people talk about how crappy the brand is.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline jamster

Re: Opinions on Razer?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 10 October 2021, 07:23:30 »
My opinion was formed 5+ years ago, and I wrote them off so badly that I never saw reason to revisit... perhaps it's an outdated view now.

Lots of money spent on marketing low quality ****e to the younger gamer market. At the time I'd had a mouse fall apart, quickest of any I've ever owned over decades. Tried some of their demo boards and realised that even on the same board, switches felt totally inconsistent (I don't know if this was with early Kailh before they got their act together, or perhaps they had dived off on some even worse own-brand).

They raised an astronomical amount of money with an IPO several years ago, and what has changed? They still seem to make the same shoddy and tacky looking crap as they always did. They dived into phones (one phone?). The laptops have good reviews but given their other gear I wouldn't sink money into them.

« Last Edit: Sun, 10 October 2021, 07:26:34 by jamster »

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 10 October 2021, 08:06:57 »
Razers are scumbags:
 - Razer Gamma / GammaNow / SoftMiner. It is still active.
 - Superlative marketing, has been just borderline fraudulent in many cases
 - Their response to the driver-SYSTEM privileges fiasco. Every brand makes a bad/buggy product sooner or later. The difference is in how they handle the situation.
 - Did I mention Gamma/SoftMiner?

And it is also a good idea to avoid their hardware because of their Synapse app and other bloatware.

Offline jamster

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 10 October 2021, 09:28:31 »

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 10 October 2021, 11:00:11 »
Only good thing about razer is their plush wristwrest, although everything else they make is dog****

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 10 October 2021, 17:50:47 »
It seems sentiment has not changed much.  I'm not in a rush to support a company that is dishonest or at least not entirely forthcoming.  But with that said, their premium mice come- Mamba, Basilisk, and Naga, and DA come with very favorable reviews.  At the same time I don't want to deny myself a great mouse as it seems finding one that personally fits you can be quite a task.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 10 October 2021, 18:24:16 »
I bought a death adder 10 years ago when I was still in school. I used it as my primary mouse for 5-7 years and then my gaming mouse for another 3.

Note: it was my only non-ball mouse for _years_. About a year ago, I bought a Model O for gaming and a MX Master 2 for general use. I'll never go back. I don't think Razer mice are so entirely awful, but there are certainly better options.

Between the build quality, company politics, and general driver software -- I don't see myself buying any of their products for a looong time.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 10 October 2021, 22:15:37 »
Prices are meh at best, and their quality is very hit or miss it seems.

The biggest issue with Razer though, as mentioned is their software.
The mining thing was and still is inexcusable, it's been shown it can never do what they claim and if you know anything about mining that prospect only gets worse as time goes on.

They do make a good mousepad though if you ave a glass desk, my Sphex was amazing and changed how I looked at mouse pads.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline jamster

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 11 October 2021, 06:49:01 »
I own this Razer product. It's been fantastic- reliable, and it does what it is designed to do without any fuss.

https://imgur.com/i6eBr4H

It seems sentiment has not changed much.  I'm not in a rush to support a company that is dishonest or at least not entirely forthcoming.  But with that said, their premium mice come- Mamba, Basilisk, and Naga, and DA come with very favorable reviews.  At the same time I don't want to deny myself a great mouse as it seems finding one that personally fits you can be quite a task.

Are these short term product reviews, or aggregated long-term user reviews for reliability? Over the years, I have shifted away from using tech gadget reviews, or at least when I look at reviews nowadays it tends to be more for the negatives, partly to assess how critical and detailed the reviewer is, and partly to look for factors which could cause ownership annoyance.
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 October 2021, 06:54:10 by jamster »

Offline jamster

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 11 October 2021, 06:53:35 »
double post

Offline Kokukenji

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 11 October 2021, 10:34:27 »
I actually don't mind their mouse. I tried other brands but have always switches back to what I've tried and tested. I think it's because I like wireless mouse play and ever since I have their dock, it makes charging and swapping between wireless Razer mouse pretty straightforward.

I also got their latest black mat (Strider) and really like it over my old mats.

I don't like their keyboards tho.

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 11 October 2021, 12:57:43 »
Their mice are well-designed, but their quality is not great. They kind of strike me as a company similar to Mad Katz, but with premium pricing.
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 11 October 2021, 15:10:23 »
I think their quality is better than it used to be. I like their mice.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 27 November 2021, 20:08:56 »
They used to have some interesting shapes (Imperator, Lachesis, Copperhead), but they've offered nothing of use in years, and the build quality of their classic shapes has only deteriorated. Their software, even ignoring all the crypto-worries, is hot garbage compared to the competition.

Really, the only new-ish Razer product you should even consider in 2022 is a Lachesis if you've got big hands, for anything else there are a bunch of better options.

Offline kahlilnc

• KNC Keys LLC
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 08 December 2021, 12:48:06 »
I've owned Razer products since I've had my very first PC. My opinion on their products now is that they make good mice while there may be some better options available depending on sales and users' needs. I do not care for their other products as they seem to be charging more of a premium price tag nowadays. I've owned Razer and Corsair headsets in the past... They cannot compare to my Beyerdynamic setup currently.

Offline Scragg

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 08 December 2021, 14:53:15 »
I have a 2020 15 inch model of their razer blade series. Its ok, just about the same as any other laptop of a similar form factor. Nothing really great or bad about it. other than having to replace the cooling fans already.

I use the wireless version of the Razer Deathadder just due to the Model D wireless not being a thing yet. (I recently switched to an under desk drawer for my keyboard/mouse for ergonomic reasons) no specific complaints or praise, to me its just a mouse and I can do the same things to any mouse even a mouse with no software for it with some autohotkey scripts.

Offline kahlilnc

• KNC Keys LLC
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 09 December 2021, 22:56:13 »
I have a 2020 15 inch model of their razer blade series. Its ok, just about the same as any other laptop of a similar form factor. Nothing really great or bad about it. other than having to replace the cooling fans already.

I use the wireless version of the Razer Deathadder just due to the Model D wireless not being a thing yet. (I recently switched to an under desk drawer for my keyboard/mouse for ergonomic reasons) no specific complaints or praise, to me its just a mouse and I can do the same things to any mouse even a mouse with no software for it with some autohotkey scripts.
Every gaming laptop I've owned has had horrid cooling. You mentioned you had to replace the fans, was it bad stock?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 10 December 2021, 08:05:11 »
The laptops have been plagued with reliability issues.
The first ones had a fuse or something blow all the time because it barely (if that) was within spec, Louis Rossman covered this one and was shocked how it was built.
LinusTechTips staff had several later models (pre 2020 ?), all failed over time and were entirely phased out as they died despite the staff loving them. I believe they refused to go back due to the experience.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline teddo

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 05 February 2022, 10:38:27 »
Invest in their mice not keyboards

Offline Hyperdimension

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 05 February 2022, 12:48:28 »
The only Razer product I would buy (and re-buy) is the Razer Viper Mini. Great mouse at a fantastic price. Maybe the Bungee but I think you could literally pick any bungee and be fine. Would never consider their other products beside mice, though.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 15 February 2022, 08:38:21 »
Razer makes some ok products, butt tthe prices are skewed to high for the quality you get.  Same can be said about the Glorious mice, most have QC issues but some aren't complete deal breakers for me.  Also Glorious has lost my business the minute they started cloning caps without giving credit to the original person who designed the colorways.  In the end Logitech has retained my business over the years and their customer support has always treated me right.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 15 February 2022, 09:04:34 »
I had two Razer Pro Click mice in the past - each of them died after around 3-4 months, so I stopped buying this crap.
Software is rubbish.
I will never buy Razer again.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline Slywanin

• Abdul Lutfi is my name.
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 30 December 2022, 12:10:05 »
Overhyped, feels cheap.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 03 January 2023, 10:20:35 »
I had two Razer Pro Click mice in the past - each of them died after around 3-4 months, so I stopped buying this crap.
Software is rubbish.
And this is why we buy Logitech, lol

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 03 January 2023, 11:56:59 »
Software is rubbish.

Amen to that :)
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline jamster

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 04 January 2023, 22:05:03 »
Logitech mice- extremely boring, not the cheapest. And in my experience, ridiculously reliable. My kids have been using cheap Logitech mice for years. My primary work mouse of 5+ years is an old wireless MX Anywhere.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 09 January 2023, 02:22:13 »
Software is rubbish.
My experience with my last Logitech mouse made me switch to a German brand that I had never tried. It was double clicking and the scroll wheel was just a disaster.
Currently VERY happy with my Endgame Gear XM1r - patiently waiting for them to release their XM2w wireless mouse.

Guess my point is everybody makes crap if you get a monday-model.

Back on topic:
My experiences with Razer have not been positive, I've owned a keyboard and a mouse and both broke within a month.
I could've been very unlucky though because I've also heard people praise Razer, so again it's all about how lucky/unlucky you were.
Honest opinion: you can get better quality gear for the same price as Razer, if you don't NEED the brand.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 09 January 2023, 11:10:40 »
It was double clicking
This means a bad micro switch and pretty much everyone uses the exact same switches from Omron.

It's not really a Logitech problem (just luck of the draw) and you didn't avoid the issue by changing brands.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 10 January 2023, 07:37:57 »
It was double clicking
This means a bad micro switch and pretty much everyone uses the exact same switches from Omron.

It's not really a Logitech problem (just luck of the draw) and you didn't avoid the issue by changing brands.
This doesn't use Omron switches.
Not necessarily a Logitech problem but when it happens more than once I don't want to bother trying again.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 10 January 2023, 08:06:20 »
EndGame gear make excellent mice - if the XM1 was wireless I would have chosen that over the GPxSL, so far zero issues with scroll and main clicks - this seems to have been an issue with the batches of Omron's they sourced for the earlier GPro models too.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 10 January 2023, 12:09:19 »
This doesn't use Omron switches.
Not necessarily a Logitech problem but when it happens more than once I don't want to bother trying again.
Few companies use anything other than Omron, severely limiting your mouse options.

More importantly though, pretty much all of them are using an Omron D2F clone.
It's not that Omron can't build a good switch it's that the switch design is prone to double click as the spring gets weak (only needs a fall to go bad). More importantly, it has more and more problems as you move outside the operating range, which pretty much every mouse exceeded over a decade ago and is getting worse. The switch wasn't designed for mice and it certainly wasn't designed for the voltages and amperages we now use in mice, too little and it won't properly close and will bounce, hence double clicking, and it will not self clean as it was meant to do leading to more bounce.

The switch (and the clones) needs a complete redesign to fix the issue or change to an entirely different switch design and since the D2f shape and type is in pretty much every quality mouse you aren't going to avoid it. You may have a little better luck but if I'm buying something prone to failure (which these switches certainly are) I'd rather deal with a company that stands behind the product as Logitech does. even if they typically die just beyond warranty.

EndGame gear make excellent mice - if the XM1 was wireless I would have chosen that over the GPxSL, so far zero issues with scroll and main clicks - this seems to have been an issue with the batches of Omron's they sourced for the earlier GPro models too.

They're using "pre-sorted" Kailh.
Why are they sorting them? The fact that they're sorting tells me there's inconsistencies somewhere.

See what I wrote above.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 11 January 2023, 08:35:13 »
Guess this is the reason we are starting to see companies move to an optical switch (Razer has been one to do that with their mice).

Offline Marboard

• Marboard.net
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 07 May 2023, 04:06:46 »
Their budget options are ok, but I wouldn't pay for anything Razer over 30 pounds with all the other options.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 07 May 2023, 16:15:07 »
Guess this is the reason we are starting to see companies move to an optical switch (Razer has been one to do that with their mice).

It will take a while for the industry to switch and that's under the best conditions, and their willingness.
Think back to how long USB-C took to replace mini and micro B, Logitech still has Micro B on some older designs and that was actually an easier change to make than changing to optical switches will be.

I expect to see lost of heel dragging and slandering of them prior to widespread adoption (from enthusiasts and corporate) and that's if they're actually good.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 09 May 2023, 11:13:59 »
imo the optical based mouse switches don't carry the same feel that the standard higher quality switches do, but that is from my personal experience and others might not notice.  Only thing I can praise Razer for is their implementation of lighting and some of their designs - other than that, their products dont last compared to Zowie/BenQ, Logitech, or Endgame Gear.