Author Topic: How often do you expect to have to replace your mouse/trackball?  (Read 34531 times)

Offline Stupidface

• Looks like I picked the wrong week to joinGeekhack
How often do you expect to have to replace your mouse/trackball?
« on: Wed, 29 December 2021, 03:57:54 »

How often do you expect to have to replace the mouse/trackball on your desk? 

And: do you tend to purchase the same make and model of device (i.e. are you reluctant to change once you find something you like)?

or

Do you look forward to replacing your current mouse/trackball because doing so will give you an excuse to purchase and try out the latest models?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: How often do you expect to have to replace your mouse/trackball?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 29 December 2021, 08:28:24 »
Every 12-16 months because of the switches.
If I'm lucky I can swap them once or twice before some other problem pops up.

Mice myths for those doing constant upgrades...
"The lightest mouse!", a few grams isn't going to make you a better gamer, consistency/experience will, make your tracking the same regardless of game or mouse for best results.
While wireless lag hasn't been an issue for years on good mice such as Logitech most wireless systems other than Logitech have other issues.
Don't ever fall for a manufacturer telling you the double clicking is dirt in the switches, the switches are sealed and not something you could clean even if you wanted to. Double clicking mouse buttons are an internal spring problem and if under warranty should be covered.
High dpi gaming... high dpi is not high, manufacturers held back dpi by not keeping up with display resolutions so younger generations don't know what they're missing and it's destroying your wrist. Learn to game at higher dpi actually increases your response time and reduces R.S.I., weight also maters less.  You can also crank DPI and lower system sensitivity giving you per pixel precision instead of the default where it skips 3 pixels and still retain normal feel, yes, your system skips 3 pixels by default. This too increases gaming ability but will need higher polling to track properly.
The polling race,  500 is plenty for most gamers, your usb rarely goes over 1000.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 29 December 2021, 10:16:30 »
The Omron microswitches in my mouse will have had twenty years of continuous use next year.

I should buy up a NOS Logitech mice from the late '90s the next time I see any for sale. A couple of them might last me for the rest of my life.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 29 December 2021, 14:49:20 »
The Omron microswitches in my mouse will have had twenty years of continuous use next year.
Older switch, older voltages.

Put those old switches in a new mouse and they will fail almost immediately.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 29 December 2021, 16:13:18 »
Older switch, older voltages.

Put those old switches in a new mouse and they will fail almost immediately.
Interesting theory... but it did not strike me though.

I measured 3.37V with a multimeter in the "new" mouse.
I have a spare old PS/2 Logitech PilotMouse (same model as the 2002 mouse), that I connected with a converter and measured 5.00V. (It has a SGI Granite shell, so I'll keep it and not scavenge the switches from it)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 29 December 2021, 16:31:43 »
It's not just volts but amps as well.
You need a certain amount for the switch to grab and hold a click rather than bounce, they lowered voltage and amperage to the point the Omrons have trouble staying shut. And that's not all, I have long suspected as the life expectancy went up, the switches became more susceptible to damage done in other ways like over pressure, which is INSANELY easy to do, a good slap is all it takes. D2f switches are not even designed to have ANY resting pressure on them. It's actually a terrible switch for a mouse.

Tons of info and discussion here in the Definitive Omron Guide.

For the voltage/amps this video goes in depth.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Stupidface

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 31 December 2021, 10:35:49 »
I should buy up a NOS Logitech mice from the late '90s the next time I see any for sale.

To clarify: when you say "mice," do you mean, er, mice, or trackballs?  I'm guessing you mean the former, but I ask because I used to be a big fan of Logitech's Marble line of trackballs and am wondering whether anyone here is still using them.

A couple of them might last me for the rest of my life.

I took a look at the Logitech Pilot Mouse you mentioned in a subsequent post and that does look like something that would last many years. 

(Does anyone here happen to know if the switches Logitech used in the Pilot Mouse were Omrons or Matsu****as?)

It isn't NOS as you are seeking, but someone (not me) is currently flogging a used one in the box on eBay if you are interested:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313812447369?hash=item4910adf089:g:xFgAAOSweDBhzRi5

Not sure about their asking price, though.  It seems a bit on the high side to me, but I have no idea of the going rate for something like that.

« Last Edit: Fri, 31 December 2021, 11:38:18 by Stupidface »

Offline Stupidface

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 31 December 2021, 10:46:30 »

If your mouse/trackball packs it in at the one year mark, is it your experience that, generally speaking, it is still covered by the manufacturer's warranty?  Or do most present-day warranties tend to run 90 days?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 31 December 2021, 19:38:51 »
If your mouse/trackball packs it in at the one year mark, is it your experience that, generally speaking, it is still covered by the manufacturer's warranty?  Or do most present-day warranties tend to run 90 days?
Logitech is 1 year.
They will dink around and try to run out the clock if you're close but if you do qualify, they will ship you another quickly.

Mine tend to fail just after the warranty expires.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Stupidface

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 24 February 2022, 08:46:12 »
Logitech is 1 year.
They will dink around and try to run out the clock if you're close but if you do qualify, they will ship you another quickly.

Does the 1 year warranty apply to all of Logitech's products, regardless of price?

or

Do any of their higher-end offerings feature warranties that extend beyond one year?

I ask because I am wondering if the additional outlay means additional warranty coverage.

Offline Tastenplatte

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 24 February 2022, 08:58:21 »
I havent broken a mouse in years, they are quite sturdy.

Offline VoteForDavid

• Vote For David
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 07 March 2022, 16:05:03 »
I expect to be surprised when a Kensington Expert Mouse fails. I've got many many years on the one I have now, which replaced one that was so old it needed an adapter before the brain finally quit working.
Jesus loves you.

Offline Getsome!!!

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 20 March 2022, 18:06:18 »
Every mouse I've ever had has lasted 5-10 years, with 3-4 hours a day usage. And i don' think they ever actually broke or anything, i just changed the rest of my set up, and needed something to match it better. Though  i do remember getting one mouse when wireless mouses first started being released, that went through a couple AA batteries every couple days.. Even with rechargeable batteries, that was a pain in the as.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 20 March 2022, 18:31:56 »
Have used a Steelseries Sensei (the one with the pointless LCD on the underside) for 6-8 years now. I forget when I actually purchased it.

I actually really like it so I ignore the fact that about 20% of the silver coating has been dethroned by hand sweat. It also occasionally double clicks or something as I will close two chrome pages at once instead of one. The scroll wheel is squeaky as ****.

I don't intend on replacing it unless it dies. I may attempt to replace the switches/oil the wheel but I don't want to let the spirits out of the body yet.

But realistically the mouse probably survived about 3-4 years before starting to have problems. 

Edit: Oh I just went on their website, are braided cords out of style now?
« Last Edit: Sun, 20 March 2022, 18:34:52 by fanpeople »

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 28 March 2022, 01:15:15 »

How much clicking are you doing, holy crow! You'll need a hand replacement soon enough

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 28 March 2022, 14:45:27 »

How much clicking are you doing, holy crow! You'll need a hand replacement soon enough

Remember, these switches are actually very delicate, any abuse shortens the lifespan and I have a tendency to take out my frustration with laggy computers by smacking the mouse buttons. I stopped doing that when I learned how fragile they are and switched away from Windows, I haven't replaced a switch since. Between that and using Japanese switches I've since more than tripled my normal lifespan.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 07 April 2022, 09:55:57 »
Every 2 years, but my G305 seems to be my favourite. I literally just buy the same one.  :))

Offline granola bar enthusiast

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 07 April 2022, 10:12:13 »
i have been using my model o for the last 2 years and despite my endless 20 CPS+ butterfly clicking and drag clicking it has held up and although i might have to clean the grime out of the holes in it so far at least, it hasn't imploded on me

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 13 April 2022, 08:34:22 »
The only mouse I have ever had to replace due to failure was an old used Goodwill wireless Logitech (early to mid 2000s gray/silver metallic colors) that started double clicking a few years after I started using it 8+ hours a day. That one had a mirror polished finish from use prior to my having picked it up at the Goodwill.

I also use a lot of trackpad gestures though instead of actual physical mouse presses if I'm not sitting at a desktop computer and/or playing an intensive game.

Offline Versaknight

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 13 April 2022, 08:36:03 »
I use a basic logitech mouse so once every couple of years.

Offline noway

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 21 April 2022, 06:53:27 »
Vintage MX518: never had one fail but have kept a few spares in stock just in case.
Anywhere MX (original version): never failed.

Offline mud2

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 21 April 2022, 09:52:49 »
I was using a wired razer mouse for years and just recently got a Logitech G Pro wireless.  the old razer works fine but it was time for a change. sadly the logitech software seems somehow more buggy than the razer software from like 2013 (potential keylogging aside), but the mouse feels great to use for both work productivity and gaming, can see myself sticking with this model for a long time

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 04 May 2022, 08:44:30 »
I was using a wired razer mouse for years and just recently got a Logitech G Pro wireless.  the old razer works fine but it was time for a change. sadly the logitech software seems somehow more buggy than the razer software from like 2013 (potential keylogging aside), but the mouse feels great to use for both work productivity and gaming, can see myself sticking with this model for a long time

On the GPro I would recommend using the Onboard Memory manager software, it just works as a profile manager without the bloat of G Hub.  I use that for my GPro X Superlight and it's been the best so far.

https://support.logi.com/hc/en-us/articles/360059641133

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline mud2

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 06 May 2022, 18:33:54 »

On the GPro I would recommend using the Onboard Memory manager software,

This works like a dream, no macros but I can live without them.  I appreciate the performance style mice but not the gamer style software, so thank you for saving me from that!  :thumb: