Author Topic: KBT Pure Aluminum Case Review  (Read 14357 times)

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
KBT Pure Aluminum Case Review
« on: Sat, 09 March 2013, 00:57:24 »
Just received my second mechanical Keyboard; the KBT Pure with MX Black Switches. I have spent nearly 2 months with a DAS with Brown Switches and needed a keyboard that had leds and quieter switches for night gaming, which was perfect, and i wanted a more portable keyboard that i could take with me to school when i needed to, so this all worked out great. There was a lot of stress in picking between reds and blacks, because those where my two options when it came to switches. i was set on a quieter switch and these two came to mind. after getting the wasd sampler kit, i felt that reds were too light and ordered blacks and i was quite nervous that i would miss the tactileness of browns too much. This was not the case at all. i really enjoy the force required to press the keys with the black switches. really nice feeling to them and it feels more satisfying to me to type then on the browns. i do miss the tactile feeling, but it really isn't bad not typing on them. before ordering, i had heard that blacks feel too much like rubber domes and this is not the case at all.
As for the keyboard's layout, i really like it so far. People complain of an 'odd fn layout' but i really dont mind it. it is my first keyboard that has the 'fn' option so i really don't have much to compare to it. I really like how compact and small the keyboard is. The DAS is obviously a full sized mechanical and i felt i didn't ever use the numpad, as i mainly game on it, so a tkl or 75% or 60% would be required for this second purchase. i really think 75% layouts look ugly with the small arrowkeys and small right shift key all mushed together in the bottom right so it would be 60% or tkl for me honestly. regardless i really like the 60% layout of the pure and don't have many problems with it. The Aluminum case is really nice. Obviously higher build quality then an original plastic casing, and it looks great too. i love how you can see the circuit board underneath the switches, and it kinda has a barebones look to it. ****ing sexy. 
the LEDs are great. it was really nice to come from the unmarked DAS to the bright LEDs on the pure. they really help at night time (obviously) and the keyboard includes a cool 'pulse' mode. i mainly either have the LEDs on max or switch them off, depending on the time of day. My one single problem with the keyboard is something i might not even encounter. Replacement keycaps. i can't find any backlit keycaps anywhere on the internet at all, so i think i am stuck with these stock ones. which isn't a problem, just something i am thinking about for the future. i think normal keycaps that dont have backlit compatibility look kinda ****ty and unnatural. i think it defeats the purpose of having an LED keyboard. regardless i did find replacements at mechanicalkeyboards. com so i can in the future get replacements for this keyboard.
I haven't spent a ton of time with the board, but so far i am really enjoying it. I think as i spend more time i will have a better understanding for the keyboard and the switches but for now i am really enjoying it. I am going to give it a 9.5/10. i don't have much to compare the keyboard to, but i like it much more then the DAS (which would probably get an 8.5/10). really awesome keyboard and i love every opportunity to use it!

here is the gallery from my reddit post from when i got it. if you want more pics, i can post more! http://imgur.com/a/y6rch

Offline orlando

Re: KBT Pure Aluminum Case Review
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 09 March 2013, 01:27:04 »
Glad you are enjoying it ... I picked one up for myself (mx red) and can't wait for it to arrive. I intend to put the toxic set from this current group buy on it http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=38241.0 ! I feel like the green lights will compliment the keys nicely even if it doesn't fully shine through.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 09 March 2013, 01:29:55 »
Glad you are enjoying it ... I picked one up for myself (mx red) and can't wait for it to arrive. I intend to put the toxic set from this current group buy on it http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=38241.0 ! I feel like the green lights will compliment the keys nicely even if it doesn't fully shine through.

yeah i think for me, i'm just going to have to find the right set of keycaps. maybe over time i will find a set i really like. who knows. let me know how you like the pure!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 10 March 2013, 20:34:59 »
does the case offer increased rigidity in typing experience.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 10 March 2013, 21:59:10 »

if you mean more stiff/steady then i would say so. coming from browns to blacks, the blacks feel more tight and obviously require more force to press down. i really enjoy blacks more then browns so far but miss the tactile feeling. so i would say yes to your rigidity question.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 10 March 2013, 22:00:59 »

I think it does. I have a Poker with a plastic case and the Pure with the aluminum feels much more solid. None of my keyboards have a plate.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 10 March 2013, 22:14:25 »

I think it does. I have a Poker with a plastic case and the Pure with the aluminum feels much more solid. None of my keyboards have a plate.

my pure doesn't have a plate. i love it

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 10 March 2013, 23:17:55 »
Can't wait to get this case to go with my poker with plate...It's almost enough to make me go full metal caps, too.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 10 March 2013, 23:36:58 »
you have a poker with blues? i am very jealous :)  let me know if you get the case

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 11 March 2013, 10:24:40 »
I didn't think this case would work well with a plate >.>  too low.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 11 March 2013, 17:34:44 »

it's very low but i do like the low profile

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 11 March 2013, 17:42:37 »

While I understand some people may not like the switches being exposed, a poker w/ plate will look fine :)

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 11 March 2013, 18:05:31 »

While I understand some people may not like the switches being exposed, a poker w/ plate will look fine :)

pics?
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 11 March 2013, 18:14:01 »

pics?

Mine isn't here yet lol.
There's plenty of room for a plate, while still remaining flush or below the case walls. I'm basing this on what WFD said to me and from looking at my partner's Pure CNC, which is next to me right now.
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 March 2013, 18:19:22 by Jocelyn »

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 11 March 2013, 20:03:04 »

works fine with my poker plate, plate is flush with it almost, looks cool, almost like keys caps are levitating

more pics http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40814.msg820334#msg820334

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 11 March 2013, 20:24:12 »
That looks sick as hell.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 11 March 2013, 21:07:40 »
:) happy to hear i did well.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 11 March 2013, 23:13:18 »
Looks nice, mine will totes look better just because I said it would.  That and once retro gets here it'll be like matt3o took a picture of my poker in the future to post in the GB thread in the past.

Offline Sai

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 12 March 2013, 01:07:20 »
Looks nice, mine will totes look better just because I said it would.  That and once retro gets here it'll be like matt3o took a picture of my poker in the future to post in the GB thread in the past.

we can alll be in the brotherhood of retro poker.  :p :p
- WTB/WTT - Cotton Candy Brobot V2

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 12 March 2013, 02:47:28 »
aluminum?

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
Re: Re: KBT Pure Aluminum Case Review
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 12 March 2013, 02:49:28 »
aluminum?

But they're not special Pokers :)

Edit - Oh ****! I posted thinking this was a different thread lol. Sorry laffindude <3
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 March 2013, 02:59:30 by Jocelyn »

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 12 March 2013, 10:21:56 »

works fine with my poker plate, plate is flush with it almost, looks cool, almost like keys caps are levitating

Show Image

more pics http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40814.msg820334#msg820334

i like how you described that. almost like the key caps are levitating

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 12 March 2013, 10:22:45 »
aluminum?

aluminum case yah
not a poker thou :0

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 12 March 2013, 11:00:29 »
I have Pokers, I just don't like them.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 12 March 2013, 11:01:49 »
I have Pokers, I just don't like them.

What don't you like about the Poker? Just prefer your Pure(s)?

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 12 March 2013, 11:23:43 »
Hate the PCB bounce and the function layer that just doesn't make any sense. Left hand arrowing is weird to me. Home/end is pushed all the way out to pinky. Task manager being more accessible than end is all kind of wrong. Then they put printscreen/scrolllock/pause right in the center where it is easily accessible. I don't like Pure's function layer as well, but as least the keys aren't inexplicably placed.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 12 March 2013, 12:01:59 »
....i like the poker layout, i like the HHKB's arrow keys better but overall i like the poker. with the plate and pure case its like even better

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 12 March 2013, 12:24:49 »
@laffindude - I'm with you. I like the standard ANSI of the Poker vs. the Pure, but the fn layer is a bit of a mess. Pure is better, but not by much. It's why I'm so stoked about the GH60, or maybe the Poker 2. Do have have an ideal fn layer in mind and/or sketched out already?

@glod - You're exactly right, the Pure aluminum case is much better than the standard plastic. My Poker has MX-Blacks, so I find I don't bottom about as much, so I don't notice the flex all that much, but my Pure has a much more solid feel.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 12 March 2013, 15:20:36 »
Hate the PCB bounce and the function layer that just doesn't make any sense. Left hand arrowing is weird to me. Home/end is pushed all the way out to pinky. Task manager being more accessible than end is all kind of wrong. Then they put printscreen/scrolllock/pause right in the center where it is easily accessible. I don't like Pure's function layer as well, but as least the keys aren't inexplicably placed.

hmmm how many pokers you got? just 1?

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 12 March 2013, 20:29:40 »
I have 2 of them in blue.

I'll probably do GH60s in the standard 61key layout, since I want to use blank POMs from G80-3000.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 12 March 2013, 20:47:55 »
I have 2 of them in blue.

I'll probably do GH60s in the standard 61key layout, since I want to use blank POMs from G80-3000.

i am going to get a GH60 with either clears or greens hopefully. in the future. loving my pure right now.

Offline sordna

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 12 March 2013, 20:57:59 »
Pure with green leds looks nice indeed. I own a Poker and have wished it had backlighting on occasion ... I also wish it had arrow keys. So I might go for a Pure PRO as my ideal travel keyboard.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 12 March 2013, 21:32:18 »
Pure with green leds looks nice indeed. I own a Poker and have wished it had backlighting on occasion ... I also wish it had arrow keys. So I might go for a Pure PRO as my ideal travel keyboard.

i really dislike the 75% layout. that's just me though. i have my pure with backlighting and want to pick up a poker with blues. and eventually a gh60. the pure pro just came out in french and spanish, so english should come out soon.