geekhack Community > Reviews

KBT Pure Pro (red switches)

<< < (3/4) > >>

thirdkind:

--- Quote from: CPTBadAss on Wed, 03 July 2013, 09:27:34 ---Have you ever tried typing on a Pure OP? I'm interested in knowing if the case on the Pure Pro is more solid than the one on the Pure. The stock case on the Pure was too light and warped on my board.

--- End quote ---

This is my first experience with a Pure, so I can't compare it to other Pures. What I can say is that the case on the Pure Pro is very rigid and feels more solid than the HHKB or the Filco. I can twist and bend both of those pretty easily, especially the Filco, but the Pure doesn't have much give. It's like a little brick.

CPTBadAss:
You can bend/flex your Filco? I just tried it and mine laughed at my efforts.

Thanks for your thoughts and the review regardless. I'll just have to try typing on a Pure Pro sometime. That bottom right of the board is off-putting though.

thirdkind:

--- Quote from: CPTBadAss on Wed, 03 July 2013, 12:00:07 ---You can bend/flex your Filco? I just tried it and mine laughed at my efforts.

--- End quote ---

The case, yeah. I can't flex it by huge margins, but it flexes more than any other keyboard I've owned. It didn't sit flat on my desk at work when I first got it, and I was able to twist the case slightly to make it level.

CPTBadAss:
Hm, the only time mine flexed is when my snap fits weren't seated correct. But anyways, sorry to derail!

Hypersphere:
Thanks for the review. I am looking for something very close to the Pure Pro, i.e., a 60% - 75% board with excellent build quality, dedicated arrow keys with Home, End, PageUp, PageDn mapped to Fn+arrows, and otherwise highly intuitive Fn layer. Thanks for mentioning the detail about the lack of extendable feet -- everything else being equal, I would prefer a keyboard with extendable feet. I would also want the keyboard to have replacement keycap sets available, and the backspace and right-shift keys should ideally be larger than the ones on the Pure Pro (if all this is possible in a 60% board!).

The Leo FC660C or FC660M comes close to meeting all my criteria, but I do not like the appearance of the isolated Insert and Delete keys (although I use both functions), and I am not sure about the availability of keycap sets.

I also really like what I have seen about the Tex Beetle, but it lacks the arrow to Home, End, etc. mapping found in the Pure Pro and FC660C, and I am somewhat concerned about the small right-shift key and the altered staggering in the Z row. Otherwise, the build quality of the Beetle looks excellent, and I think that Tex will be introducing new models at some point.

Although the HHKB Pro 2 comes highly recommended, I think the layout might be too alien for me and the US ANSI version lacks arrow keys. Likewise, the Poker II has a good layout, but no dedicated arrow keys and a silly spacebar legend begging to be sandblasted. Some say to wait for the Ducky Mini, but I have not seen the layout or specs, and I think it will come with backlighting, which I do not need; backlighting also complicates keycap replacement. Others suggest going with a custom/DIY board, but I currently do not have the skill, patience, or time to go this route.

Are there other keyboards on the horizon that would have the aforementioned specifications, or do you think the Pure Pro is as close as one could get among existing or known forthcoming models?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version