geekhack Community > Reviews

CM Storm Quickfire XT

<< < (3/3)

mkawa:

--- Quote from: Jack Karneval on Sun, 14 July 2013, 22:01:56 ---Sweet little overview Mkawa! Cooler Master is definitely making very broad strokes in the mechanical keyboard market and their boards seem to be extremely good value. My Trigger is an absolute beast..... just don't step on the USB cable and rip the mini-USB connection off of the USB hub PCB......  :))

--- End quote ---
this is _exactly_ why they went with a full-sized USB female port with the XT. the PCB-mount SMT full-sized female connector has like an order of magnitude more material strength than the mini A connector.

these are also exactly the kind of details that were sweated and can be appreciated by the enthusiast community in this board. the price point and general usefulness makes it a very good buy for the common consumer, but the lessons learned from the enthusiast community were intelligently and thoughtfully applied in the design regardless. the full-sized connector costs a few cents more, and many manufacturers would go with the mini because of that, but CM knew that the device lifetime could be extended by literally an order of magnitude under real conditions by spending those few cents, so they did. for that i applaud them

Jack Karneval:

--- Quote from: mkawa on Mon, 15 July 2013, 07:56:33 ---
--- Quote from: Jack Karneval on Sun, 14 July 2013, 22:01:56 ---Sweet little overview Mkawa! Cooler Master is definitely making very broad strokes in the mechanical keyboard market and their boards seem to be extremely good value. My Trigger is an absolute beast..... just don't step on the USB cable and rip the mini-USB connection off of the USB hub PCB......  :))

--- End quote ---
this is _exactly_ why they went with a full-sized USB 1 with the XT. the PCB-mount SMT full-sized female connector has like an order of magnitude more material strength than the mini A connector.

these are also exactly the kind of details that were sweated and can be appreciated by the enthusiast community in this board. the price point and general usefulness makes it a very good buy for the common consumer, but the lessons learned from the enthusiast community were intelligently and thoughtfully applied in the design regardless. the full-sized connector costs a few cents more, and many manufacturers would go with the mini because of that, but CM knew that the device lifetime could be extended by literally an order of magnitude under real conditions by spending those few cents, so they did. for that i applaud them

--- End quote ---

Well said! It's good to see that the XT is an improvement on the Trigger because it basically replaces the Trigger in their product line. Another point you brought up in your overview was the lack of higher quality keycaps, but I'm sure we can say with utmost certainty it was done to lower production cost. That being said, I think there's definitely room for them to sell either high quality keycaps separately, or a separate board with high quality keycaps. I for one would appreciate it because I really like the feel of PBT keycaps such as those I got with my Pure Pro.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version