geekhack Community > Reviews

WASD v2 TKL Quick Evaluation

(1/2) > >>

smknjoe:
I just got a WASD v2 with MX greens and no caps for $95 pre-tax/shipping. With shipping it was ~$113. I added a set of Ducky PBT blank black caps to it and it's great!. I'm really surprised with the overall excellent quality and feel of this board.

I own or have owned Ducky, Filco, Leopold, HHKB, Cherry, SIIG (alps), and IBM SSK. The SSKs have been my daily use keyboards for the last year or so and I love them. However, I enjoy MX and Topre as a change of pace every once in a while.

Out of the MX boards the quality of construction currently would go from best WASD/Filco, Leopold - TKL Otaku (very close to Filco really), Ducky, and Cherry being the lowest quality.

The WASD is SOLID. I don't know if it's the PBT caps or the MX greens, or a little bit of both, but the action is more rigid and precise when compared to the other cherry switch boards I've owned. The case construction is very rigid, the texture is excellent and almost rubber like - it has a very flat finish. The rubber pads on the bottom grip the desk like it's bolted down; even when the rear feet are extended. So, far I'm in love. It reminds me a lot of my beloved SSKs, but newer and crisper.

...we'll have to see how it goes after the honeymoon...

When I first started researching keyboards a few years ago Filco was top dog. I don't think that's the case anymore in the US. Especially, when WASD has equivalent quality with many more options including green and clear MX switches and they are readily available.

Edit: Added pics of case to show finish/texture, lights, and rubber feet.

Elrick:

--- Quote from: smknjoe on Sun, 11 May 2014, 06:17:25 ---When I first started researching keyboards a few years ago Filco was top dog. I don't think that's the case anymore in the US. Especially, when WASD has equivalent quality with many more options including green and clear MX switches and they are readily available.

--- End quote ---

It's a very good price for a simple TKL with Greens  :thumb: .

I first jumped on it a couple of months ago and still find it the VERY best deal anywhere for this type of keyboard.  Glad WASD has finally statred to sell them readily everywhere including here in Convict Town.

When you want a quality keyboard that works perfectly like a Filco, go for this company's latest and greatest product - you won't be disappointed.

danny:
Nice pictures!
I also own the TKL variant of this board for about 8 months now but with blue switches and have to say that I really love it :)
It indeed has a very solid feel to it and the option to turn some keys into media controls using the DIP switch sealed the deal for me.
Unfortunatly shipping to europe was a bit one the expensive side ^-^

D01:
I like the one I have.  It was my second mechanical keyboard.  I got one with browns, my favorite switch so far, and a tri-color keycap setup of white, light and dark grey.  Well built and heavy for it's size.  I like the minimalist thing it has going with no name on the front and no usb ports or other stuff.  The plastic the case is made from feels like quality material.  Finish is nice.  DIP switches...well who doesn't love those.  I do wish the switch that deals with caps lock was more of a swap caps lock and ctrl rather than what it is know.  The rubber bits on the bottom are awesome.  They do literally make it feel like it's bolted down.  After using it at work for a while I bought a bare bones full size for home.

Pacifist:
Have you put dampening mats with the WASD to see if it can feel more solid?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version