Author Topic: Steelseries 6Gv2, $68.99 shipped  (Read 4955 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Steelseries 6Gv2, $68.99 shipped
« on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 01:27:28 »
Spotted on eBay:

SteelSeries 64225 6Gv2 gold-plated mechanical USB or PS/2 Wired Keyboard

$68.99, free shipping (10 sold, 4 available at this writing)

This is a really good deal on solidly built new board with Cherry MX switches. They're currently $88.50 (incl. shipping) on Amazon and will be $69.99 + shipping on Massdrop (if that offer gets enough votes).

I was quite impressed with those those I've seen in stores, which had Cherry blacks. This seller doesn't say what kind (color) theirs has, so I'd ask first.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline 1391406

Re: Steelseries 6Gv2, $68.99 shipped
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 12:39:21 »
Best I can tell, based on the model number(64225), it's MX Black.
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 13:02:52 »
ewww

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 15:55:23 »
ewww

I never did get the big deal about BAEKs. They're no harder to press than standard Enters, are they? (Some even have a 2nd stabilizer, making them really smooth.)

And do you really need a double-width Pipe ( | ) key? Whatever for? That's the only actual layout difference it makes, isn't it?

Maybe it's just an esthetic thing. Or maybe it's just human nature—an influential member made fun of a BAEK years ago, so others assumed it was the "correct" (i.e. cool) attitude toward 'em?

I can't help wondering, as there are other "vintagey" aspects of KBs that people do value.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 15:56:51 »
It's just an unpopular layout, it died back in the vintage days.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 16:01:51 »
Best I can tell, based on the model number(64225), it's MX Black.

I've never actually seen a 6GV2 in anything other than blacks.

ewww

I never did get the big deal about BAEKs. They're no harder to press than standard Enters, are they? (Some even have a 2nd stabilizer, making them really smooth.)

And do you really need a double-width Pipe ( | ) key? Whatever for? That's the only actual layout difference it makes, isn't it?

Maybe it's just an esthetic thing. Or maybe it's just human nature—an influential member made fun of a BAEK years ago, so others assumed it was the "correct" (i.e. cool) attitude toward 'em?

I can't help wondering, as there are other "vintagey" aspects of KBs that people do value.

I don't have an issue with that enter key on principle. However, it greatly limits your options for custom sets.

I do have an issue with the 1u backspace, as I tend to hit my backspace on the inner edge.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 16:08:57 »
Quote from: digi
It's just an unpopular layout, it died back in the vintage days.

So did (for the most part) double-shot keys, thick metal backplates, buckling springs... Just because something's rare now doesn't make it objectively undesirable.

Quote from: user 18
I've never actually seen a 6GV2 in anything other than blacks.

Me neither.

I don't have an issue with that enter key on principle. However, it greatly limits your options for custom sets.

Ah, there is that, all right.

I do have an issue with the 1u backspace, as I tend to hit my backspace on the inner edge.

But the 6Gv2 has a standard Backspace, not a little one. I think digi must've posted a shot of a BAEK from another black KB as an example. (Or is there a ISO version too?) I don't like single-width Backspaces either—but there we're talking about something that's harder to hit, not easier.

Anyway, I didn't intend to get into a debate about whether the 6Gv2 is a good KB or not. I'd be glad to have one; other people may not. I just wanted to point out the deal, as it's the best one I'd seen.
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 May 2015, 16:10:32 by ander »

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 16:10:28 »
There's no debate, it's a ****ty board, lol. They've been sitting in Fry's stock for the several years.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 16:18:55 »
Then maybe when someone is trying to be helpful and post about a discount, you should look the other way, huh?

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 16:23:22 »
Then maybe when someone is trying to be helpful and post about a discount, you should look the other way, huh?

The title of the forum you posted in is "Great Finds", no need to get worked up. Your find isn't that great, it's ok. Relax.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 16:27:56 »
I'm not "worked up", just a bit confused.

I thought Great Finds was a place where we could post stuff we thought was an unusually good deal. Obviously different people like different things—but I assume that some people wouldn't mind getting a new, solidly-made Cherry-switch board this low, no matter what kind of Enter key it had.

So I was just surprised someone would come in and trash the product because it didn't have the exact features they preferred. It seems like missing the point, y'know? That's all I'm saying.
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 May 2015, 16:42:17 by ander »

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 16:40:56 »
And for what it's worth, the 6Gv2 seems to have gotten predominantly positive reviews from users and critics—averaging around 4 stars out of 5, I'd say. So it can't be that terrible.

As I think I mentioned, I've tried them in stores, and they felt great to me.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 16:43:25 »
You're right, it's a great board, you should buy it.  :))

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 16:50:33 »
Dude,  I can't make you any more sociable than you want to be—so cheers, eh?

BTW, these do come with other switches besides black, so if any of you do buy this KB (and yes, I think all this fuss was about one KB, LOL), you should ask the seller about that first.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 16:52:16 »
Let me know once you receive it in the mail, let us know what you think.

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 17:35:48 »
yes it's far from a great board, not even by newbie board standards. but one man's trash might another man's treasure. why do you insist on belittling OP's find, i can't understand.

Offline kokokoy

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 22:59:48 »
Still a great board though there are so much choices now that allow you to use custom sets.

My ~5 year old.

101706-0

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 01:59:15 »
yes it's far from a great board, not even by newbie board standards. but one man's trash might another man's treasure. why do you insist on belittling OP's find, i can't understand.

1. Huh? How bad can a board be that has genuine Cherrys? Okay, BAEK, right, but this thing's a rock. And lots of people don't need media controls and other bells 'n' whistles, but just want a simple, elegant board that does the job. Sorry, but I really don't see what's so objectionable about it, especially for under 70 bucks!

2. digi's last post seemed sincere enough to me. I don't have to wait till I get one, though; as I mentioned, I've used them (yes, actually connected to a PC), and I think they're swell. And I realize this stance is far from universal, but I like Cherry blacks—their extra resistance makes it easier to type without bottoming out. (Any motion past the 50% actuation point is wasted time and effort.)

Still a great board though there are so much choices now that allow you to use custom sets... My ~5 year old.

Oh man, that is so sweet! Those look just like great old double-shots—where'd you find them? And how'd you change the | / Enter layout? Did you have to mod the PCB? As you can see, I have many questions.

Offline kokokoy

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 02:43:00 »
Those keys are from the recent drop of Hack'd by Geeks.

No pcb mode. That second |/ on top of the enter key are just blockers. You wont be able to press it. Haha.. Found some plastic back home that will able to hold that key. Glued that plastic to the removable guide/stab found on top of the enter key.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 02:46:38 »
Oh, I get it. So it really is an easy mod. Honestly, I don't know what people were whining about.

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 05:46:25 »
1. Huh? How bad can a board be that has genuine Cherrys? Okay, BAEK, right, but this thing's a rock. And lots of people don't need media controls and other bells 'n' whistles, but just want a simple, elegant board that does the job. Sorry, but I really don't see what's so objectionable about it, especially for under 70 bucks!
it's hardly terrible, i'm typing on one :-) aside from the nonstandard layout, i really dislike how they replaced the lefthanded winkey with their own function key. there are also no legs/extenders underneath the board, i'm surprised steelseries overlooked something simple but important as this. the logo branding and font choice aren't as tasteful as something like a Filco either, but those are minor complaints at best

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
Steelseries 6Gv2, $68.99 shipped
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 06:42:33 »
I found one on the cheap, other than bigass enter and small right shift it's a nice board. The little mod kokokoy did what I was going to do :)

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 11:43:05 »
I want to apologize for my snarky comments yesterday, I was in a bad mood. Sorry Ander, thanks for posting.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 04:39:08 »
it's hardly terrible, i'm typing on one :-) aside from the nonstandard layout, i really dislike how they replaced the lefthanded winkey with their own function key. there are also no legs/extenders underneath the board, i'm surprised steelseries overlooked something simple but important as this. the logo branding and font choice aren't as tasteful as something like a Filco either, but those are minor complaints at best...

Correct on all counts.

I've never used risers, personally (how could it be more comfortable to bend your wrists upward rather than keeping them straight?), and the logo and font don't bug me (we're not supposed to look down when we type, right?). I agree about the Win key, though. For what it's worth, here's their explanation for replacing it:

Quote from: SteelSeries
We like the Windows key for certain things and in certain situations. But not when we are in the middle of a gaming session. We have replaced it with a SteelSeries Key that won’t wreak havoc during a gaming by minimizing your game or by opening a menu. The SteelSeries Key serves a different purpose: it’s a function key for the Media Controls found on the 6Gv2... To keep the 6Gv2 compact and easy to transport, we decided against adding additional rows of space-consuming [media keys]. Instead you can press the SteelSeries key and access the Media Controls via the first six F-keys on the keyboard.

So at least they meant well.

Quote from: digi
I want to apologize for my snarky comments yesterday, I was in a bad mood. Sorry Ander, thanks for posting.

No problem, dude! It happens. Besides, anyone who posts photos of hooters like these:

Show Image

...has my vote.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 01:58:16 »
Well, if anyone has one of these and doesn't like the layout, Rosewill double-shot Cherry 104 keycap sets are on sale at Newegg for $16.99  ;?)