Author Topic: Free US Switch Modding and Assembly Services [I'm back! ]  (Read 19215 times)

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
Free US Switch Modding and Assembly Services [I'm back! ]
« on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 20:37:30 »

Hi Geekhackers, are you tired of the long and tedious process of modding switches? Looking for someone to assemble that sweet new duck octagon you ordered? Want to buy an ODAC but dont want to pay the full price when the kit is so much cheaper? I'm here to help!

84450-084452-185684-284454-384456-484462-585682-684460-7
please ignore the fugly caps  :))

I have been a mechanical keyboard enthusiast for a very long time, however I have not been on geekhack for very long. I am trying to increase my reputation, and make sure that I can be seen as a reliable member of this community!

Project form:   http://goo.gl/forms/8NXeZXFLSf

submit this form to give me all the necessary info I need to get your project done!

As a result I am offering FREE switch modding or assembly services for the time being, just pay the cost of materials! This includes but is not limited to switch stickering, spring replacement, housing changes, lubrication and final assembly of keyboards!

I want to make sure that my customers are not anxious while their keyboards are away from home so feel free to contact me and I would be glad to speak with you over the phone, skype, or anything else to quell your worries. Moreover, I will always, regardless of what request, provide you with periodic and regular photo updates!

I am located in North east US, so keep that in mind when considering the cost of shipping!

Photos of previous projects above!

Current projects:

Poker X plate instillation

poker II ergo clear mod

Check out some of my reviews as they populate below!

Post here or PM me if you are interested, after the initial offer has expired, I will be charging $15 per 50 switches or $40 for keyboard assembly!
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 May 2015, 11:51:52 by DrHubblePhD »

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
Re: Free US Switch Modding and Assembly Services
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 08:35:05 »
good luck m9!
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline MAR82

• Keyboard Addict
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 08:39:09 »
Almost sounds too good to be true 
Thanks for doing this type of service for the community  :thumb:

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 08:42:38 »
Do you have any examples of your previous work? I'm interested in taking you up on the offer but I've got something kinda special that I'd like built. Would like to get some more info before sending it your way :).

Offline margo baggins

• Dungeon Dweller
  • * Maker
  • Get back to work!
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 08:45:07 »
Have you got any pictures you can put up showing your work?

the free route is definitely the way to start out, but a picture speaks a thousand words as well :)

If you do it right though, there will come a time where you look forward to finishing that 10th keyboard you've built in a row, you finally get it out the door, only for another 5 - 10 to show up the next week :) hehe.

I got ninja'd by the CPT.
I got boards.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 08:46:33 »
Also interested in what equipment you will be using?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 08:47:46 »

Would love to know this as well :D

I got ninja'd by the CPT.

Do you even know about the power of this 80 WPM?!?! :P

« Last Edit: Wed, 05 November 2014, 08:49:50 by CPTBadAss »

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 10:08:29 »
Ok sorry for not seeing all of your replies, I have been waiting for this thread to get approved and I guess it was approved last night.

Almost sounds too good to be true 
Thanks for doing this type of service for the community  :thumb:

To start, yes does sound to good to be true, I am taking a lot of time out of my weekends to make sure that I do this right and that everyone can be confident in my reputation.

Next, I will post some photos, however I have sold a lot of the old stuff I have built.

For all assembly I will be using the hakko fx-888, which is a great iron, any de soldering will be done with de soldering wick, not pump, to ensure no damage is done to the board!

Do you have any examples of your previous work? I'm interested in taking you up on the offer but I've got something kinda special that I'd like built. Would like to get some more info before sending it your way :).

Why don't you pm me with your project, I would definitely let you know if I don't feel comfortable doing it, I don't want to make anyone angry here. I won't make any mistakes, but if I did I think we would both be devastated.

I will post some of my previous work as soon as I get home from work and have access to my stuff!

« Last Edit: Wed, 05 November 2014, 10:11:09 by drhubblephd »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 10:25:44 »
Cool endeavour! But I wonder if outsourcing KB modding may take off the fun of being a GHr, or if this type of services will turn actual kb aficionados into simple users  :'( . In the other hand some of us may be just too overloaded with family and job commitments that we have no time left for our hobby.

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 10:37:16 »
Cool endeavour! But I wonder if outsourcing KB modding may take off the fun of being a GHr, or if this type of services will turn actual kb aficionados into simple users  :'( . In the other hand some of us may be just too overloaded with family and job commitments that we have no time left for our hobby.

I understand where you are coming from but by removing the tedious nature of the process I think I am enabling more people to build their own custom keyboards, which can do nothing but strengthen the community! Not to mention I still need all of the many specifications from the customer (e.g switch type, stickering, spring weight, lube, led color), so you really need to be well versed in these things to begin with.
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 November 2014, 10:42:52 by drhubblephd »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 10:48:37 »

I understand where you are coming from but by removing the tedious nature of the process I think I am enabling more people to build their own custom keyboards, which can do nothing but strengthen the community! Not to mention I still need all of the many specifications from the customer (e.g switch type, stickering, spring weight, lube, led color), so you really need to be well versed in these things to begin with.

That's right. I am pretty sure each of your customer will evaluate these considerations before to place an order.
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 November 2014, 10:51:10 by ideus »

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 10:50:26 »

That's right. I am pretty sure each of your customer will evaluate these considerations before to place an order. In other things, I may be misunderstanding your post, but its title states "free" but the post refers the actual price of the service. ...? I am sure I may be missing something.

Yes it is free, the price at the bottom is only for after my initial offer expires which will not be anytime soon. So for the near future it is most diffidently free! :D

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 10:52:33 »

That's right. I am pretty sure each of your customer will evaluate these considerations before to place an order. In other things, I may be misunderstanding your post, but its title states "free" but the post refers the actual price of the service. ...? I am sure I may be missing something.

Yes it is free, the price at the bottom is only for after my initial offer expires which will not be anytime soon. So for the near future it is most diffidently free! :D

Sorry my bad. I did not read your post carefully. I deleted my idiot remark just too late.  :'(

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 11:12:27 »

Sorry my bad. I did not read your post carefully. I deleted my idiot remark just too late.  :'(

No worries :thumb: :p

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 16:16:31 »
I'm thinking about getting a white Keycool 87 with whatever Kailhs and then request a switch-switch for MX Clears.

Do you believe you could do that, drhubblephd?

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 16:39:24 »
I'm thinking about getting a white Keycool 87 with whatever Kailhs and then request a switch-switch for MX Clears.

Do you believe you could do that, drhubblephd?

Absolutely! PM me the details and I would be glad to do that for you. :thumb:

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 16:40:40 »
Absolutely! PM me the details and I would be glad to do that for you. :thumb:

Sure, I will develop the idea and then I contact you.

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 20:54:28 »
As per request here are some photos of my previous work! I dont have a macro lense however hopefully these photos give you a good idea of the quality and consistency of my work. As I said before I use a hakko fx-888, Kester solder, and only use desoldering wick, which takes much longer by much better protects the PCB. As I said, I have sold or gifted many of my previous projects, but here are two that I still have with me!

note that there is some heat warp on the GON skinny because my hakko was in for repair and my backup has less than optimal heat transfer. Everything is now fixed and otherwise everything went smoothly with soldering.

here are the photos: http://imgur.com/a/aQktx

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 21:21:40 »
Have you done any SMD soldering before? And are you confident that your wick will be good enough to desolder thicker PCBs?

Thanks for posting the pictures :)

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
  •  Post Reporting Timeout
  • Who is that kmiller8 guy?
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 21:25:18 »

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 21:29:42 »
Have you done any SMD soldering before? And are you confident that your wick will be good enough to desolder thicker PCBs?

I have done  a bunch of SMD soldering before. ;D The GON board used semi through hole diodes and the phantom used through hole but I have done plenty of SMD for general hobby projects and a while back I built an ergodox for a friend that lived near me which does required SMD work.  Also if the PCB is too thick I will get as much as possible up with the wick and then carefully use the pump, but I always give the wick a shot because it is a much safer solution.

Offline margo baggins

• Dungeon Dweller
  • * Maker
  • Get back to work!
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 05:01:01 »

I have done  a bunch of SMD soldering before. ;D The GON board used semi through hole diodes and the phantom used through hole but I have done plenty of SMD for general hobby projects and a while back I built an ergodox for a friend that lived near me which does required SMD work.  Also if the PCB is too thick I will get as much as possible up with the wick and then carefully use the pump, but I always give the wick a shot because it is a much safer solution.

I don't know if I agree with that. Wicks transfer lots of heat to the surface of the pcb, can easily remove the solder mask and with too much pressure can deform the pad and/or lift the pad. I'm not saying you're wrong, just that I don't agree :) Don't get me wrong, I use wicks all the time but I definitely think a decent pump (edsyn soldapult) is better than a wick in almost all scenarios.
I got boards.

Offline MAR82

• Keyboard Addict
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 05:22:12 »

I don't know if I agree with that. Wicks transfer lots of heat to the surface of the pcb, can easily remove the solder mask and with too much pressure can deform the pad and/or lift the pad. I'm not saying you're wrong, just that I don't agree :) Don't get me wrong, I use wicks all the time but I definitely think a decent pump (edsyn soldapult) is better than a wick in almost all scenarios.

Yeah I'm no expert on the subject (or even very good at it), but I've always been told that a good solder pump is safer to use. Last time I need to remove LEDs I found that the wick wouldn't clear up the hole but that the pump worked great each time

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 05:56:58 »

Yeah I'm no expert on the subject (or even very good at it), but I've always been told that a good solder pump is safer to use. Last time I need to remove LEDs I found that the wick wouldn't clear up the hole but that the pump worked great each time

Well it all comes down to technique. I find that it is easier to control the heat of the iron than the erratic jolt of the pump. On some cheaper pcbs the jolt from the pump can dislodge the pad. As long as you controle the heat and aply the wick properly you can easily get all the solder without any issue. I guess I should restate how I say it to, " I use de soldering wick because for me it is much safer than using a de soldering pump." I should also say that it is true that when there is some pesky soldering the pump can be usefull.

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 06:59:01 »
I should also state that I have yet to incur any damage on a board from a wick. The switches are very heat resistant, so as long as you don't apply pressure to the board, the pcb is fine. Not to mention it is a lot easier to replace a switch than it is a board, so it's worth risking a little heat on the switch to make sure that the board remains safe.  :thumb: let me know though if you have a different technique, Im always open to new ideas! ;D

This is all a mute point when it comes to assembly and switch modding either way, because most of the time no de soldering is required.
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 November 2014, 07:14:09 by drhubblephd »

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 12:16:18 »
Currently slotted projects:

CPTbadass mod and assembly
Elocutive Assembly
MiTo switch swap
Sygaldry switch mods

I'm willing to take a few more orders before I stop accepting any for a while!

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 11 November 2014, 02:30:47 »
So you already have switches in stock or do I buy them and send them to you?

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 13 November 2014, 11:25:37 »
So you already have switches in stock or do I buy them and send them to you?

I can purchase them and send you an invoice for the cost. Because I have a couple orders right now that all need switches I can order them all at once and save on shipping!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 06:37:15 »
I finally got a hold of my 1800 that drhubblephd built for me. The specs are in the link in the previous sentence. I have been extremely busy and haven't had time to learn SMD soldering. I didn't want to learn on a Leeku PCB since they're hard to come by. So I was very happy to see his services.

Throughout the process I was given updates, pictures, and generally kept in the loop as to what was going on. I was consulted on many details during the build such as how my case should be cut up to fit the plate and cable. And the service was very quick.

Upon arrival, I noted that the package had GouletPens level of packaging. If you don't know what that is (they're a fountain pen seller online), GouletPens actually packs their stuff in a ridiculous but good way. They send your goods as well as a lollipop and a card explaining that they're sorry it's so ridiculous but it was done protect your goodies. The lollipop is to suck on while you wrestle with the packaging. I could have used one when I unwrapped my 1800...which is definitely a good thing!

I also took a look at the PCB and I think the soldering was done very well. I didn't see any scorch marks or cold joints. Definitely not like my handiwork!

I'm extremely happy with this service and I hope that others will give drhubblephd an opportunity to work with them. :)
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 December 2014, 06:49:00 by CPTBadAss »

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 08:43:40 »
I finally got a hold of my 1800 that drhubblephd built for me. The specs are in the link in the previous sentence. I have been extremely busy and haven't had time to learn SMD soldering. I didn't want to learn on a Leeku PCB since they're hard to come by. So I was very happy to see his services.

Throughout the process I was given updates, pictures, and generally kept in the loop as to what was going on. I was consulted on many details during the build such as how my case should be cut up to fit the plate and cable. And the service was very quick.

Upon arrival, I noted that the package had GouletPens level of packaging. If you don't know what that is (they're a fountain pen seller online), GouletPens actually packs their stuff in a ridiculous but good way. They send your goods as well as a lollipop and a card explaining that they're sorry it's so ridiculous but it was done protect your goodies. The lollipop is to suck on while you wrestle with the packaging. I could have used one when I unwrapped my 1800...which is definitely a good thing!

I also took a look at the PCB and I think the soldering was done very well. I didn't see any scorch marks or cold joints. Definitely not like my handiwork!

I'm extremely happy with this service and I hope that others will give drhubblephd an opportunity to work with them. :)

Now THAT is a recommendation!
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 00:35:01 »
I am finishing up a few projects including another Leeku 1800 build as well as variable weighted Filco, TEK, and Ergodox check out the photos in my original post. I also added a form to streamline the process of giving me the info I need to get your project done, check it out: http://goo.gl/forms/8NXeZXFLSf

Offline linziyi

• The one with many questions
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 12:42:32 »
I actually want to build an ergodox but I don't have any materials yet. Is it OK for me to buy them online somewhere and send them directly to you? (I am thinking of mechanicalkeyboards.com unless there's a better recommendation  :) )
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

"Much to learn you still have" --Yoda

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 22:32:32 »
I actually want to build an ergodox but I don't have any materials yet. Is it OK for me to buy them online somewhere and send them directly to you? (I am thinking of mechanicalkeyboards.com unless there's a better recommendation  :) )

Absolutely, PM me and let me know the details. It will be costly for you to buy the materials individually though, I would recommend buying the complete on massdrop whenever the next drop is.

Offline quochung1989

• Vintage Cherry Collector
  • Frenzy Classic.
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 18:18:00 »
What smd diodes & resistance do you use for leeku? Where do you get it? I 'll built leeku 3000 in the future, so i really wanna have some info before :) Pls help me

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 18:23:33 »
What smd diodes & resistance do you use for leeku? Where do you get it? I 'll built leeku 3000 in the future, so i really wanna have some info before :) Pls help me

86969-0

Let me know if you need anything else, these are from mouser, so you can search the part numbers!

Offline quochung1989

• Vintage Cherry Collector
  • Frenzy Classic.
« Reply #35 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 18:26:34 »

(Attachment Link)

Let me know if you need anything else, these are from mouser, so you can search the part numbers!

Ok thank for your help :thumb:

Offline Dr.Chipotle

« Reply #36 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 08:41:25 »
+rep Sent him a keyboard to be fixed, couldnt do it but was informing me on what he was doing. Great guy

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 14:59:54 »
Sent him an ergodox, truly ergonomic and filco for spring swaps, lubing and stickering. Good experience overall with regular communication, updates and friendly chit chat. I had some pretty crazy instructions for the spring swaps (unusual ergonomic weighing) as well, so glad that he actually accepted my request. :)
Layout: Colemak
Fastest typing speed: 131 WPM on typeracer, 136 WPM on 10fastfingers.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.
Ergo keyboards: Truly Ergonomic, Kinesis Advantage, Ergodox

Offline ninjadoc

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 20:33:15 »
drhubblephd did a great job on my leeku board too. After CptBadAss told me about the service I jumped on it since I had no time to learn SMD soldering myself. I was given updates several times a week. I asked him to hold it with Christmas coming and him getting ill but the board was still done promptly. The soldering is excellent, there were no scorch marks (unlike my soldering) and everything works nicely. I haven't commented till now because of my schedule, not because of his work. Packaging was great and the board was well protected. I would not hesitate to use him again and I have no hesitation in recommending him if you want SMD soldering or other soldering done.

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 20:53:00 »
Instead of paying you to swap the springs, could I buy the springs off you, and have them shipped here? sprit isn't sending out invoices it seems.

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 20:56:01 »
Instead of paying you to swap the springs, could I buy the springs off you, and have them shipped here? sprit isn't sending out invoices it seems.

you may have to rephrase the question, but yes, I should have some springs that I can give you.  :thumb:

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
I will not be taking requests for a short period of time (a month or so). I have been having issues with my hands and wrist that I think stem from doing intricate work over long periods of time. If you have already submitted an order, do not worry I will fufill it. I will also be upholding my promise to help solder and build boards for the TX1800 group buy  :thumb:

Offline hking0036

Sent him my Poker II to mod into ergo clears. He was quick to communicate all the info with my pestering, and did the job as quickly as possible. I'd easily use his services again.

Edit: I've had the chance to break in my keyboard a bit and I must say, a fantastic job. I wouldn't have known that my keyboard had come out of the box had it not come without all the caps on and without the original box. Also nice of you to take off the stock PBTs so I didn't have to take them off as soon as I got it :)) It feels great and consistent, although I'm still adjusting to cherry stabilizers. The packaging was great but since I break into boxes wrong every time I got spraypaint chips everywhere and had to open it outside. The box was sort of amazing, with the stenciled name and the gold spraypaint all over the thing.
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 March 2015, 17:14:56 by hking0036 »
Realforce RF87UB 45g Uniform | Leopold FC660C w/ TMK | IBM Model M - 3/24/1997 | IBM Model F 122 - 11/25/1985 ANSI'd w/ TMK | IBM Model F XT in a box

Offline shawn24

drhub helped me soldering the a87 including resistors, didoes and switches.
he kept in touch with me to hear my requirements, and sent it back with speed and reliablity
thx a lot bro!

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
Re: Free US Switch Modding and Assembly Services [I'm back! ]
« Reply #44 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 11:54:23 »
I'm back everyone!  Feel free to contact me with any jobs.  Assembly will still be free but SMD work and switch Modding will have a small charge because of the time it consumes.

Offline filphil

• One day I hope to find a love like JD and Turk
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 08:21:19 »
Do we provide you the materials for switch modding or do you have a steady supply on hand?  I'm looking to have a pok3r modded to ergo clears, lubed, and stickered. 

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 18:03:31 »
Do we provide you the materials for switch modding or do you have a steady supply on hand?  I'm looking to have a pok3r modded to ergo clears, lubed, and stickered.

You can either ship me the materials or pay me and I'll order  them for you!

Offline filphil

• One day I hope to find a love like JD and Turk
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 21:06:52 »
Great to hear!  That makes it pretty convenient.  I have to wait for stickers from the winkeyless gb to come in so you will hear from me again in due time.  :thumb:

Offline HTN47

• Mr. SoCal
« Reply #48 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 23:35:44 »
Hey DrHubble, if I wanted to have my 456GT desoldered and switches replaced with gateron blacks is it a smart idea to ship only the plate + PCB without the housing seeing as how it is quite heavy.  :)
What is love.... Baby don't hurt me... No more!!

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
« Reply #49 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 02:30:13 »
Hey DrHubble, if I wanted to have my 456GT desoldered and switches replaced with gateron blacks is it a smart idea to ship only the plate + PCB without the housing seeing as how it is quite heavy.  :)
Yes
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 07:05:23 »

:)) yeah,  just send the plate and PCB unless you want some glam shots taken. You could also send it without the two weights. Let me know what you choose and send me the details in a PM.