Author Topic: Artisan/"Lesser" vendor sub-forum  (Read 7111 times)

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
Artisan/"Lesser" vendor sub-forum
« on: Fri, 15 June 2012, 19:50:44 »
Could we possibly get something like an artisan or "lesser" vendor sub-forum where Geekhack members can offer modding services (eg. cherry mx switch replacements, stem/spring modding, keycap modding, etc.) to other Geekhackers?  

Right now all we have is the vendor sub-forums and the classified sub-forum.  I think we need a sub-forum (within the marketplace section) for individuals who want to offer some modding services to other Geekhackers.  It would be a place where these members can maintain a constant presence...so if a Geekhacker needs a certain mod done, they can look at the artisan/"lesser" vendor sub-forum and see who does what type of mod, interact with them, and view their previous mods.  I'm not asking for an individual sub-forum for each "artisan/modder" like the current vendor sub-forums has.  Rather, one subforum within which each artisan/modder could have his or her own thread dedicated to their modding services.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline The_Ed

• Asperger's... SQUIRREL! I'm Anal Retentive *****!
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 15 June 2012, 21:55:34 »
YES! That's what should be done! I support this suggestion and would make a thread there myself.

Have iron, will solder.
Reaper "frelled" me... Twice... Did he "frell" you too?... *brohug*
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 17 June 2012, 03:21:07 »
it's an interesting idea, and something we've talked about and are still talking about. basically, we don't want to further fragment the forums unless we have to, so it may depend on the number of people who demonstrate a willingness to actively provide services. in the meantime, the_ed, please feel free to start a thread in the classifieds advertising your soldering services

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 17 June 2012, 03:53:00 »
Quote from: mkawa;615365
it's an interesting idea, and something we've talked about and are still talking about. basically, we don't want to further fragment the forums unless we have to, so it may depend on the number of people who demonstrate a willingness to actively provide services. in the meantime, the_ed, please feel free to start a thread in the classifieds advertising your soldering services

Just like The_ed...I'd make a thread too in the artisan subforum ...except mine would be for stepped capslock mods.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 17 June 2012, 04:23:24 »
again, please use the classifieds forum for now.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 17 June 2012, 09:43:49 »
Quote from: mkawa;615365

Fragment? Why should everything between members that involves money be put into one place? Everything gets bumped to oblivion in only a few days because there's too much stuff there already. To organize it it should logically be broken down into 4 subforums. WTB, FS, WTT, and Services. This would make it MANY times easier to navigate, and I wouldn't have to go through hundreds of entries I don't care about.
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline MMB

• I no longer use this account. Please email me.
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 17 June 2012, 12:38:17 »
I second the motion for a services area.

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 17 June 2012, 15:43:30 »
Quote from: MagicMeatball;615555
I second the motion for a services area.

Third... AKIMbO -> first, The_Ed -> second, MagicMeatball -> third. At least a services subforum is required, if not the full WTB, FS, WTT, and Services quartet of subforums. It's only logical to sort things, but instead they are all thrown into one box.
R.I.P.ster

Offline Zehkul

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 18 June 2012, 16:54:47 »
Classifieds is a mess, so +1 for splitting things up.

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 18 June 2012, 17:15:34 »
Quote from: Zehkul;616486
Classifieds is a mess, so +1 for splitting things up.

Do you like my idea of 4 sections? WTB, FS, WTT, and Services is what I think it should be split into.
R.I.P.ster

Offline Djuzuh

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 18 June 2012, 17:22:20 »
Nah, 4 is too much, and I like having one only FS/T/B thread for everything :P.

But service are different from classified, as they are infinite. Everybody can get one. I'd separate them because of this. Because services get burried under the avalanche of new items, whereas they are still relevent after 1 month. And constant bumping is not the solution.

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 18 June 2012, 17:38:17 »
True... I guess I like things more organized... A Services subforum is the only NECESSARY subforum if you think about it.
R.I.P.ster

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 18 June 2012, 17:40:43 »
I don't think it's really that big of a deal to make a thread and then link to it in your signature. It won't have the immediate exposure of a thread but it seems like the least obtrusive/upsetting way to go.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 18 June 2012, 18:07:49 »
How would people needing the service find who is offering it, and choose between them? Answer me that.
R.I.P.ster

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 18 June 2012, 20:14:37 »
Quote from: The_Ed;616532
How would people needing the service find who is offering it, and choose between them? Answer me that.
No.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 19 June 2012, 02:08:32 »
Quote from: sth;616603
No.

As I thought. You can't.

A Services subforum would allow someone to find people who are offering a service they need. They would then be able to compare them based on feedback, pictures, and prices of previous mods/repairs. They could then initiate contact based upon that information.
R.I.P.ster

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 19 June 2012, 12:29:55 »
we don't want to start entire subforums for 2-3 threads. that's silly by any measure. there's a search feature, you have signatures, etc.

if a number of people start offering services in classifieds and the volume becomes large enough to justify and populate a forum, sure, it will be reconsidered. in the meantime, a more cohesive community comes from having fewer, more populated and active subforums.

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 19 June 2012, 17:23:37 »
3 people to start off with. More people will come once there is a place for them to go. Nobody wants to crap the classifieds, so there wont become enough threads to justify it by your standards. Besides isn't there custom USB cable and mousepad threads? That's 2 more services.
R.I.P.ster

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 19 June 2012, 18:27:47 »
please feel free to start these threads in classifieds. if the bulk of services threads becomes considerable we will reconsider dedicating a subforum to them.

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 19 June 2012, 18:56:42 »
So does this mean you are giving us permission to crap the classifieds subforum? I just want to be clear and be able to quote you later. You can't use the search feature to search people's sigs like you suggested.
R.I.P.ster

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 19 June 2012, 19:19:24 »
Quote from: The_Ed;617326
So does this mean you are giving us permission to crap the classifieds subforum? I just want to be clear and be able to quote you later. You can't use the search feature to search people's sigs like you suggested.

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what he just gave us permission to do.
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 19 June 2012, 19:22:36 »
Quote from: The_Ed;617326
No. It means make a thread if you have a service to offer. Don't crap.
Obtuse The_Ed is Obtuse.

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 19 June 2012, 23:47:46 »
Services threads, by their very definition, crap the classifieds. They would be constantly bumped.
R.I.P.ster

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 20 June 2012, 05:08:20 »
Quote from: The_Ed;617567
Services threads, by their very definition, crap the classifieds. They would be constantly bumped.

So bump away then. As they said if their enough threads theyll make a subforum I wouldnt argue too much since their still letting you post and what not.

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 20 June 2012, 15:19:34 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;617684
So bump away then. As they said if their enough threads theyll make a subforum I wouldnt argue too much since their still letting you post and what not.

2) NO Bumping: Posts that consist of nothing but the word "bump", "ttt", "top", etc. are not acceptable posts, regardless of the forum. If you cannot think of a way to add useful information to a FS/WTB/FA thread, do not add a post to the thread. This new information does not have to be earth shattering, but each new post in a thread should add information to that thread. In addition, please allow 24 hours between posts to your own threads that are not responses to interested parties.

NOTE: as of June 2012, we will no longer give warnings before deleting bump posts. If you're wondering why your bump did not work, it is because we deleted it and you need to add content to your post. Thanks for your cooperation folks.

Bumping is against the rules, but a necessity for services. So far there hasn't been explicit permission that this is OK for services threads.
R.I.P.ster

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 20 June 2012, 16:04:01 »
Dude it's fine, nobody is going to get on your case for daily bumping your own classified thread. It happens all the time.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 24 June 2012, 04:59:17 »
Now that my subforums gone looks like im going to have to do the same.

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 24 June 2012, 21:32:30 »
Gone? It's just hidden... I can still post in it too since it isn't locked.
R.I.P.ster

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 24 June 2012, 21:46:49 »

Offline whiskerBox

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 00:26:18 »
Hmm this is an interesting thread. I can see the benefits of having a services/artisan thread. It would be cool to have a place to set up shop on a more formal basis, but things work as they are now too.
"I'm on a mission to bring down GH's anarchy of moderators" -RIPSTER jr.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 26 June 2012, 01:20:25 »
I don't hang out in the classifieds, but when I do, it's by clicking on a Gh'er signature. I can't speak for anyone else, but I see enough signatures to see what's important in them.

So if everyone selling a service had a handy link, I'd have no trouble finding them.

I don't hang out in classifieds, but as the most, I think there should be a topic with names and links. There aren't enough yet to justify a subforum.

Also, why are people needlessly obstinate? Why can't we learn to play nice, in the spirit of GH?

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 26 June 2012, 02:05:45 »
as i said, please start your respective threads advertising your services. we are obviously keeping as close an eye as we can on the forum and if these kinds of threads become a problem, i promise you we will address that problem if and when it presents itself. sound good?

further, i just want to note that i'm getting feedback that, in general, users feel that bumping is becoming an issue. i hear this and we will see what we can do about solving this. thanks for your cooperation folks.

Offline dsjbirch

Re: Artisan/"Lesser" vendor sub-forum
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 01 August 2012, 08:49:12 »
+1 for services forum.

I don't wanna have to rely on my participation in the rest of the forums just to find out who can do a cable mod. Or rely on Google or the forum search feature. That sucks.

Geekhack will be less cluttered with an additional forum and the search for services would be much simplified.

An extra forum will encourage others to think about what services they can offer too, who perhaps wouldn't have otherwise advertised.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
Re: Artisan/"Lesser" vendor sub-forum
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 01 August 2012, 11:47:02 »
+1 for services forum.

I don't wanna have to rely on my participation in the rest of the forums just to find out who can do a cable mod. Or rely on Google or the forum search feature. That sucks.

Then why do you think you deserve the benefits of a community when you don't think you should have to participate in it?