Author Topic: [GB] ZZ96 v2 r2 (replacements in progress)  (Read 261239 times)

Offline LunarisDream

[GB] ZZ96 v2 r2 (replacements in progress)
« on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 06:26:00 »
GSheet of unfulfilled orders from v2: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tzYavC3oAypevmC4_1x9aZbOdaGlE8dhvjYXRuUxYhw/edit?usp=sharing

v2.5 complete apart from a few orders that need replacements.

--------------------------------------

--------------------------------------

Section for updates:

3/31/2017

The buy is largely complete apart from some orders that need replacements made.

Older updates:
More

Status of dark blue(gray blue)/light gray orders:
More

Responses received from all affected. The above chart shows what you will receive, under "New case" and "New plate".

If something seems off right there, please please please tell me ASAP. I tried my best to consolidate everyone's responses and sort through them without error, but human error is still possible.

The "Extras" will be for sale as kits after the U.S. orders are shipped out Need money for the second batch, so the extras are for sale right now, along with a v1 or v2 PCB, although they will take a while to ship as well.

10/28/2016

Progress update https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=80649.msg2291319#msg2291319

10/3/2016

Sorry for the lapse in communication. I'm still here, still working to get orders out. Biggest issues at the moment are coordinating with my family members to get some things sorted and organized Stateside, the national Chinese holiday this week grinding everything to a halt, and lack of time.

Currently, there are several international orders that have yet to be shipped, as well as the US orders from the extras sale which are awaiting PCBs.

The color remake batch for R2 is running into delays as well. The designer told me the factory was inundated with work, and yet is currently on vacation (it's like Independence Day for China, but for this whole week).

A couple more international orders were sent out. Once they've been collected by the reshipper and shipped, I will send the tracking #s to the recipients.

8/30/2016

Getting some international orders out the door today. :^)

8/28/2016

Upon the behest of my parents and family I've been keeping my grandfather company. Will resume sorting of int'l orders once I return to my apartment tomorrow. Everything is already boxed and I just have to verify the contents, and the ones I've already checked were fine.

Also launched v2.5 buy at the top.

8/25/2016

I've landed and am okay. Gonna double check the international orders once I make time and combat the jet lag.

Happy to see pics flowing in. :)

8/23/2016

Getting on my flight soon. The shipments are mostly 2-day but the 2-day shipments are supposed to arrive on Thursday despite being shipped out on Monday. Odd.

See you guys on the other side (of the world). I'll update when I land to tell you guys I'm okay. Then int'l orders will be shipped out.

The second batch (for the mistaken color remakes) is still in production and I will update on that as I get news.

8/21/2016

Shipping out tomorrow. Everything is in Priority Mail 2 Day except for Texas dudes so most should arrive on Wednesday. Dunno why it takes 3 days for TX when CA is 2-day.

I'll be on my flight back to China starting Tuesday morning. Looking forward to seeing some pics when I land. :)

8/17/2016

Short album.

US orders: Cases assembled. Need to finish sorting stabilizers and plates, test every PCB, then pack and ship. Should be able to get most of them out the door on Friday Monday.

8/15/2016

Stuff for the US orders have arrived: http://sli.mg/a/PCVshf, with the exception of a few PCBs.

Going to get these out in the order that orders were received. Thanks for your patience folks.

7/24/2016

I took a couple days off because of all the issues that keep popping up regarding my buys and it was getting a bit overwhelming, apologies for the late reply and update. Bad news. All the international orders were packed in time by my dad after several all-nighters coordinating with him via video chat (all because the PCBs didn't arrive in time before my flight from China), but they were unable to be shipped out.

Reason:
More
The reason for that was the passing of my grandmother who had terminal cancer at the age of 80, and her illness was the reason that my dad went to China in the first place. This date coincided with the packing of the boards and my dad's flight out of China on the 22nd, and I wasn't going to force him to pack and ship some orders, however important they are, and take time away from my grandma's final moments. It's a ****ty situation all around.

So the international orders can't be sent out until I return to China a month from now. I know I've kept you guys waiting and I'm sorry for that, but please bear with me a bit longer.

Acrylic diffuser plates are getting remade for the US orders because the screw holes connecting those to the case are misaligned. That's already done and en route to the designer who will be shipping the other orders to me.

7/15/2016

International orders are being worked on right this moment in China, and I'm coordinating it from the U.S. DHL tracking numbers will be available in approximately one week for int'l, and I will contact the buyers accordingly.

Screw mount stabs are being delayed, and orders w/ screw mount stabs are also delayed as a result. The team's been working on the screw mount stabs and the molds for those, and they're repeatedly fine-tuning the design. I should have more news on those next week.

Appreciate your patience, everyone.

7/14/2016

I'm in the US woooooooo

PCBs arrived in China. Need some time, but they'll get sorted and the int'l orders shipped. U.S. orders are being prepped for shipment from China but pending a thorough recount of both int'l and U.S. orders to make sure there won't be any mis-sent items.

7/12/2016

Finished sorting the responses for the color mistake. The second order will be sent to the factory very soon.

Prepping the remaining orders for shipment right now. Leaving for the plane in 5 hours.

PCBs were delayed because the guy who was supposed to send them to be was slow to act despite my reminding him daily for an entire week (****). They'll arrive tomorrow and I have someone ready to sort and pack, then ship.

7/11/2016

Still collecting responses on the course of action for gray/dark blue and light gray.

Made a temporary new color chart.

7/10/2016

Light blue and light gray buyers, please read through this post and reply with your thoughts, and PM me what you'd like to do if you don't want to wait for the form to be up.

7/9/2016

No words, only pics.

... okay, some words. I've received most of the cases for international orders and am putting them together. The PCBs should reach my hands tomorrow or the day after, and int'l orders will be shipped by then. The sole int'l purple case order is delayed a bit as the designer sent me the engraved version meant for someone else, so the designer will be sending out the purple order once I send him the PCB, plate, and stabilizers associated with that order.

U.S. orders will be fulfilled by me once I'm back in the U.S., starting on the 13th.

7/7/2016 pt.2

Got some stuff in the mail~ ;D What could they be...?

7/7/2016

International orders for PCBs and cases are both on their way to me. US orders are being prepped for shipment by the others. My flight was pushed back to the 12th which gives a bit of extra breathing room for sorting the int'l orders myself.

7/2/2016

Manufacturing is complete. The cases are en route to the designer from the factory, who will be sorting through them briefly before sending them to me, since he has the rubber feet and screws for the cases (and the bonus). PCBs are all finished as well and the ones for international orders are en route to me (also including the bonus). There's a chance that they won't make it in time before I get on my flight to the U.S. on the 10th. If that happens, I have at least two other capable individuals in China who can take care of the international orders, so no problems there.

6/15/2016

Just checking in. No news. Anodizing should finish well before the month is over.

6/7/2016

CNCing has finished for the ZZ96 cases. Anodizing is next.

PCB production is complete. Currently having components soldered.

6/1/2016

Invoices for the additional costs have been sent out. Thanks all.

The plate has been revised to accommodate for switch top removal of every possible switch location.

Production is already underway. I will post an approximate ETA once I get word.

Also sent out invoices for the bonus item.

5/29/2016

The invoices for the additional costs will go out over the next 48 hours.

5/24/2016

Funds successfully transferred to China. Cases cost 100 RMB more than the price I had down from the last buy (because of the "new materials/factory", which is supposed to be higher quality). I paid it off using the entire contingency fund and more, and am now projected to be in the red for this buy. Probably going to have to invoice all buyers for the difference once again.

****, I really didn't want to have something like this happen after saying that there weren't gonna be extra fees in the beginning.

5/21/2016

No real news but it's been 6 days so I thought I'd chime in. Finalizing the transfer and the money is almost all here. Received the notification last night that I should be receiving it in another day or two.

This is going slower than I expected.

5/15/2016

Still in the midst of transferring funds. Also ran into a wall w/ Chase after the rep told me I couldn't make the transfer. Attempting a different method. Will know the results of that in a week.

Fronted the money for PCB fabrication, and added an extra hundred dollars for changing the PCB color to black (good news for those of you who said they didn't like the red).

Next update will be when production for the cases is underway.

5/11/2016

Chase locked my account until I called them w/ my debit card in hand when I tried to do a wire transfer. That was fun. Especially the part where I had to call when it was working hours in the US, but then had an Indian call center handle my call during the night here in China.

Still working on getting the money halfway across the world without being cockblocked by every institution that handles money ever. Stay tuned.

5/5/2016 (assume all future updates are Beijing time)

All orders processed and confirmed as paid. The payment period of the GB is officially over. We are good to go.

Older updates moved to pastebin to reduce OP clutter.

https://redd.it/4b374z

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any manufacturing defects. They will be minimized and checked by the factory to the best of its ability, but there are no guarantees. The last batch of 11 cases had some minor imperfections, and a major one being a 4mm scratch on the surface of someone's red case.

This is a 96-key multi-layout aluminum Chinese custom mechanical keyboard. The plate is aluminum and universal, and supports a variety of layouts (but *not* 3x 1u to the right of the space bar for 3 modifiers + arrow keys).

The plate and case are anodized 6061 aluminum, available in 12 colors (+ silver):

[Supported layouts] (does support ISO)

[Color options] (Updated, here's the old one:  http://i.imgur.com/DLEQPZY.jpg)

Cost is $300 $315 to get the kit to your door within the CONUS, no extra/hidden fees (hopefully) fug, no bs.

[Order form]

[Some builds from the previous buy]
« Last Edit: Fri, 31 March 2017, 02:10:32 by LunarisDream »

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
Re: [GB] ZZ96 (ver. 2) round 2
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 09:49:06 »
Nice gb

Offline LunarisDream

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 09:56:44 »

Offline darkclone24

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 10:13:45 »
Awesome, gutted I missed out last time, hope I'm in this round!
RS84 67g Zealio Purple | Choc Mini MX Black | WASD V2 MX Clear | Golbat 78g Zealio Purple | Duck Octagon V2 MX Clear

Offline WNovizar

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 10:16:00 »
Already joined the GB, so good luck!
I like mechanical keyboards

Offline whmeltonjr

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 10:16:31 »
Some of those colors are really cool. Not the biggest fan of the layout, but tempted to grab one anyway.

Offline gadzkun

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 10:30:49 »
i want this so baddd

hope i get in

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 March 2016, 10:53:26 by gadzkun »

Offline gadzkun

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 10:31:16 »
what is previous IC??
the suspense really killing me i really want this board. :-[
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 March 2016, 10:56:30 by gadzkun »

Offline WNovizar

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 11:29:04 »
what is previous IC??

Hey man, interested in split shipping?

Offline sitch

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 11:29:49 »
what is previous IC??

Didnt you just bought a octagon? :P

Offline VereChi

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 11:32:56 »
Thumbs up

Offline tkpresent

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 11:46:30 »
Nice GB!
wanna join this soon.

Just wondering what the previous IC means?
Am I missing something?
- HHKB
- Varmilo VA68M
- Octagon V2
- TX 87
- ZZ96
- TX1800

Offline WNovizar

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 11:51:19 »
what is previous IC??

Didnt you just bought a octagon? :P

I promise this will be my last money spent on Keyboards ! :p :p   ......this month  :) :)

Offline gadzkun

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 12:11:47 »
what is previous IC??

ok PM me :) im already ordered too :thumb:

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 13:33:29 »
****... someone give me money for dis
I love Elzy

Offline aaron6301

• Pixel Pusher
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 14:37:06 »
Someone buy my incoming Whitefox so I can get in on this  :thumb:

Offline Maevy

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 15:29:43 »
If someone wants this in Sweden i will split shipping with them.

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 16:07:24 »
This is cool but I just spent my dough on a kmac  :'(

Offline Pieminister

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 18:11:36 »
Oh my GOD yes I have been wanting a board like this for over a year now. It all started when I first saw a lightsaver.

The lightsaver 3.0 could well be over a year away.

Does anyone know if there is anything a lightsaver 2.0 could do that this zz96 can't that i should be aware of? Does it support backlighting?

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 18:17:02 »
so, how do i order just the pcb? also, will the quality of these "gold-plated" stabilizers be better quality than the last? i was not impressed with what came in the kit, and ended up using SPRiT wires. any way we can pick a different vendor this time around?

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 18:22:14 »
Oh my GOD yes I have been wanting a board like this for over a year now. It all started when I first saw a lightsaver.

Does anyone know if there is anything a lightsaver 2.0 could do that this zz96 can't that i should be aware of? Does it support backlighting?

uses winkeless' bootloader so anything a b.87 can do, for example, the ZZ96 can do - that means NKRO, nearly infinite fn layers, macros, rgb underlighting control includes a couple different modes. Atmel controller, so lots of possibilities if you are into modding

Offline cmd

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 18:26:39 »
so, how do i order just the pcb? also, will the quality of these "gold-plated" stabilizers be better quality than the last? i was not impressed with what came in the kit, and ended up using SPRiT wires. any way we can pick a different vendor this time around?

PM him and he will manually add your order. Someone did the same thing on the gb in /r/mechmarket

Offline LunarisDream

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 18:59:27 »

I'm not familiar with the Lightsaver or the firmware it uses, but this PCB does support backlighting and has the RGB LEDs presoldered to the board, along with resistors, diodes, and all microcontrollers.

We already talked on reddit :P I'll invoice you manually when they all roll out.

I'm using the same source for gold-plated stabs as last time. Using them in my board and they feel fine compared to my B.87 and B.face w/ SPRiT stabs, although the color of the plating is different and the plating on the space bar wire can be shoddy. What didn't you like about them?

I tried, but couldn't find any other source for gold-plated stabilizers, and regular Chinese steel stabilizers are even worse (with those nonclippable feet). Although I've used them as well and still couldn't tell much of a difference.

Offline cmd

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 19:09:37 »

I tried, but couldn't find any other source for gold-plated stabilizers, and regular Chinese steel stabilizers are even worse (with those nonclippable feet). Although I've used them as well and still couldn't tell much of a difference.

What about sourcing actual cherry stabs (doesn't have to be gold plated)? Is the quality on the gold stabs from the first gb that bad?

Offline LunarisDream

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 20:18:36 »
@cmd I think you messed up the quotes, dude.

And no, the only sources I could find were Chinese steel ones, or the gold-plated ones.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 20:31:14 »

We already talked on reddit :P I'll invoice you manually when they all roll out.

I'm using the same source for gold-plated stabs as last time. Using them in my board and they feel fine compared to my B.87 and B.face w/ SPRiT stabs, although the color of the plating is different and the plating on the space bar wire can be shoddy. What didn't you like about them?

ok, cool thank you. i didnt get a reply, thought it may have been lost :p I am sure you have been swamped with pms for this.

the plating on the stabs from the previous kit were really inconsistent and more of an 'orange' than the bright gold i have typically seen (SPRiT, Originative, etc.) and the spacebar wire had some chips in it.

Offline tkpresent

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 01:02:03 »
Thank you for great GB.
I'm in.
- HHKB
- Varmilo VA68M
- Octagon V2
- TX 87
- ZZ96
- TX1800

Offline ika

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 01:13:51 »
FYI a couple details that I just want to point out about the keyboard

1) note that the case is technically multiple pieces but it functions as a one-piece case - this means the plate/pcb assembly drops into the case from the top. The newer duck builds have the plate screwed onto the bottom of the top piece. If you're not careful putting the pcb/plate into the case, you can scratch it.
2) the plate supports switch top removal in just about every position UNLESS you use some of the non-standard layouts. I have my bottom row set up as 1.25 1.25 1.25 6.25 1.5 1.5 1 1 1 and some of those keys, plus some of the numpad keys, don't allow the top to be pulled out.
3) the gold spacebar stabilizer is a little shorter than the ones I got from originative and I think it makes the spacebar rattle a little bit, since it's loose horizontally.
4) the "holes" on the sides of the triangular cutouts are spaced where there are RGB LEDs, but since they're below the frosted diffuser, don't actually shine light like on duck builds. It's mostly a cosmetic thing. Unless you had a triangular diffuser cut, and I still don't think it would shine like on a duck.

minor details, but these are things that I wouldn't have considered without having spent some time with the board.

Offline breitling

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 01:41:44 »
What is timing on this like?

Offline gadzkun

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 02:15:09 »
btw when the GB will closed?

Offline WNovizar

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 02:24:12 »

1) note that the case is technically multiple pieces but it functions as a one-piece case - this means the plate/pcb assembly drops into the case from the top. The newer duck builds have the plate screwed onto the bottom of the top piece. If you're not careful putting the pcb/plate into the case, you can scratch it.
2) the plate supports switch top removal in just about every position UNLESS you use some of the non-standard layouts. I have my bottom row set up as 1.25 1.25 1.25 6.25 1.5 1.5 1 1 1 and some of those keys, plus some of the numpad keys, don't allow the top to be pulled out.
3) the gold spacebar stabilizer is a little shorter than the ones I got from originative and I think it makes the spacebar rattle a little bit, since it's loose horizontally.
4) the "holes" on the sides of the triangular cutouts are spaced where there are RGB LEDs, but since they're below the frosted diffuser, don't actually shine light like on duck builds. It's mostly a cosmetic thing. Unless you had a triangular diffuser cut, and I still don't think it would shine like on a duck.

minor details, but these are things that I wouldn't have considered without having spent some time with the board.

Hopefully all of this is fixed on ver.2. Cheers

Offline LunarisDream

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 02:45:51 »

ok, cool thank you. i didnt get a reply, thought it may have been lost :p I am sure you have been swamped with pms for this.

the plating on the stabs from the previous kit were really inconsistent and more of an 'orange' than the bright gold i have typically seen (SPRiT, Originative, etc.) and the spacebar wire had some chips in it.

Yeah, I've noticed that they appear more orange than the SPRiT stabs I've used before.

Thanks for those points. I'll see if I can get the plate design fixed for complete support of switch top removal.

btw when the GB will closed?

At least 24 hours from now, but no longer than a couple more days.

What is timing on this like?

ETA is 2-3 months from the end of the GB.

Offline Xiro7

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 08:30:54 »

Did the new stabs from Originative work with this kit and reduce the rattle? If so, I will pick up some different stabs for this kit.

LunarisDream: Will this kit support PCB mounted switches like the Zealios?

Offline LunarisDream

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 08:58:37 »

Did the new stabs from Originative work with this kit and reduce the rattle? If so, I will pick up some different stabs for this kit.

LunarisDream: Will this kit support PCB mounted switches like the Zealios?

Yes.

Offline Pieminister

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 09:13:32 »
Honestly i need someone right now to convince me why I shouldn't buy this board. It's got LED options, my dream layout, even ISO compatibility, a nice aluminium case... What's not to like!!!
Ugh I hate having to balance a budget!

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 12:02:29 »
Honestly i need someone right now to convince me why I shouldn't buy this board. It's got LED options, my dream layout, even ISO compatibility, a nice aluminium case... What's not to like!!!

the price is great at $300 shipped, imo. also a 2-3 month turnaround for a fully aluminum custom like this is almost unheard of. definitely should pass on this one  :blank:
/s
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 March 2016, 13:30:28 by roostrc0gburn »

Offline Shryne

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 13:20:47 »
Definitely in!

Offline breitling

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 22:25:37 »
Order submitted. This will be a nice brother to my RS96.

Offline gadzkun

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 23 March 2016, 23:13:44 »

so many color option for the case, we can even choose the alu plate color, if this your dream layout better get i before you regret it.
cause if you like the layout, i think this year only ZZ96 will run.

Offline tkpresent

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 24 March 2016, 08:33:58 »
Ordered few days ago.
So, when can we expect the invoice?
- HHKB
- Varmilo VA68M
- Octagon V2
- TX 87
- ZZ96
- TX1800

Offline LunarisDream

« Reply #40 on: Thu, 24 March 2016, 10:33:07 »
Ordered few days ago.

Within the next 24 hours.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
Re: [GB] ZZ96 (ver. 2) round 2 (orders closed)
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 24 March 2016, 11:51:06 »
hey lunaris, just wanted to make sure you saw my pm. I would like to order a plate with my pcb. hopefully this is possible. thanks again!

Offline breitling

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 24 March 2016, 18:34:42 »
Wanted to check, what is the shipping to Canada? Also, is there a limited number of spots or does everyone get an invoice?

Offline cmd

« Reply #43 on: Fri, 25 March 2016, 09:40:14 »
Ordered few days ago.

Sad to see no invoice in my inbox this morning :(

Offline Xiro7

« Reply #44 on: Fri, 25 March 2016, 09:48:17 »
Ordered few days ago.

I didn't get mine yet either.

Offline tkpresent

« Reply #45 on: Fri, 25 March 2016, 11:10:17 »
Ordered few days ago.

Same here.
I'm waiting for my invoice!
- HHKB
- Varmilo VA68M
- Octagon V2
- TX 87
- ZZ96
- TX1800

Offline WNovizar

« Reply #46 on: Fri, 25 March 2016, 11:12:52 »
Ordered few days ago.

Same here.
I'm waiting for my invoice!

I need your invoice lunaris fast

Offline gadzkun

« Reply #47 on: Fri, 25 March 2016, 22:56:21 »
Paid!  :thumb:

ty for running great GB  :-*

Offline thelectronicnub

• drowning in keyboards
« Reply #48 on: Fri, 25 March 2016, 23:20:34 »
since i am distributing US orders, if you'd like me to assemble your board, please PM me
KUL ES-87 w/MX Greens

B/S/T Thread

Offline Gengarfan

« Reply #49 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 01:12:38 »
since i am distributing US orders, if you'd like me to assemble your board, please PM me

What does assembly include in this build? I apologize if that's a stupid question.