Author Topic: What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?  (Read 612244 times)

Offline antquinonez

Re: What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?
« Reply #1750 on: Sun, 25 June 2017, 16:11:26 »
I use Manjaro with Mate on my desktop. I'm running Mint with Mate on my netbook. I prefer Manjaro's pacman based app installer vs the apt-get (needlessly complicated).

Offline iri

« Reply #1751 on: Mon, 26 June 2017, 14:17:59 »
Code: [Select]
apt install <software>
Is it really that complicated?
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1752 on: Mon, 26 June 2017, 14:58:36 »
Code: [Select]
apt install <software>
Is it really that complicated?

Typing apt is much easier than typing apt-get if you ask me.

Offline iri

« Reply #1753 on: Mon, 26 June 2017, 16:17:36 »
the whole bloody four symbols of difference!
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline antquinonez

« Reply #1754 on: Mon, 26 June 2017, 17:28:51 »
pacman -Syyu and my computer is happilly up-to-date. Seriously, pacman was designed with simplicity in mind. Apt has bigger challenges in mind.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1755 on: Mon, 26 June 2017, 19:17:11 »
When a red star shows in my status bar I click it. Gnome even displays a notification tooltip with total updates available. #lazysauce--Bam, update Manjaro like a boss :cool:

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #1756 on: Tue, 27 June 2017, 07:26:39 »
I find apt quite nice to work with honestly. I've never had any issues with it that weren't my own fault.

Offline iri

« Reply #1757 on: Tue, 27 June 2017, 19:55:44 »
pacman -Syyu and my computer is happilly up-to-date. Seriously, pacman was designed with simplicity in mind. Apt has bigger challenges in mind.
Yeah, an upgrade with apt will require two commands.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline robotsokk

« Reply #1758 on: Tue, 27 June 2017, 20:01:27 »
Been using Korora for the past few months. I like it.
@home      @work Swapping out boards... coming soon     wtb

Offline Hund

« Reply #1759 on: Tue, 27 June 2017, 20:14:55 »
Long time Arch Linux user. :) It's a competent, straightforward and stable rolling release distro.
Change is not always progress.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #1760 on: Fri, 30 June 2017, 10:59:51 »
This week, I finished a new computer. On my old one, I have ran Gnome 2.0 and Window Maker for years. On the new one, I installed Ubuntu Mate, because that is supposed to work like the old one and not be screwed up like Gnome 3.

Now, the latest Mate uses GTK+ 3.0... which apparently the Gnome 3 developers have been on, and royally screwed up.
Scrollbars don't work like they do on every other toolkit (GTK 2, Qt, Windows, etc...): clicking does not move a page. If you move a window's resize-bar somewhere and then back again, then the scrollbar will not be restored to its previous position. Menus don't keep submenus open if you move the pointer diagonally, like they have done since GTK+ 1.2.10 days.
I search the forums and see that there have been numerous bug reports and discussions about it. GNOME developers replied with "Getting scrollbars right is hard".
Not it isn't!!! If it is too hard for you then LEAVE IT THE **** ALONE, YOU INCOMPETENT ****TARD!
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 June 2017, 12:29:50 by Findecanor »

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1761 on: Fri, 30 June 2017, 11:28:27 »
This week, I finished a new computer. On my old one, I have ran Gnome 2.0 and Window Maker for years. On the new one, I installed Ubuntu Mate, because that is supposed to work like the old one and not be screwed up like Gnome 3.

Now, the latest Mate uses GTK+ 3.0... which apparently the Gnome 3 developers have been on, and royally screwed up.
Scrollbars don't work like they do on every other toolkit (GTK 2, Qt, Windows, etc...): clicking does not move a page. If you move a Window's resize-bar somewhere and then back again, then the scrollbar will not be restored to its previous position. Menus don't keep submenus open if you move the pointer diagonally, like they have done since GTK+ 1.2.10 days.
I search the forums and see that there have been numerous bug reports and discussions about it. GNOME developers replied with "Getting scrollbars right is hard".
Not it isn't!!! If it is too hard for you then LEAVE IT THE **** ALONE, YOU INCOMPETENT ****TARD!

If I was to reach that level of frustration I believe I'd install arch or something similar, add a tiling wm (i3wm, etc.) to the xinit script, and avoid a DE/GDM altogether. Lordy.

Offline antquinonez

« Reply #1762 on: Fri, 30 June 2017, 11:29:15 »
Yeah, an upgrade with apt will require two commands.

It's also what you have to work with (the output) from the program, the decisions you have to make. I don't want to hear about some stuff...just update, already. Some people like the options, I don't.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #1763 on: Fri, 30 June 2017, 13:59:07 »
Runs (basically) Arch, doesn't like reading output and making decisions. Good luck with that. You might be surprised, once an update completely screws up your system.

Offline antquinonez

« Reply #1764 on: Fri, 30 June 2017, 14:24:07 »
Runs (basically) Arch, doesn't like reading output and making decisions. Good luck with that. You might be surprised, once an update completely screws up your system.

Das right. About program behavior: don't say nothing if you have nothing to say; have reasonable defaults; don't break stuff. Updates have screwed up my system and then I go looking for answers. Not my favorite activity. I don't like to fiddle with my system. I like to be running the latest/greatest stable apps and libraries.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1765 on: Fri, 30 June 2017, 14:54:10 »

Das right. About program behavior: don't say nothing if you have nothing to say; have reasonable defaults; don't break stuff. Updates have screwed up my system and then I go looking for answers. Not my favorite activity. I don't like to fiddle with my system. I like to be running the latest/greatest stable apps and libraries.

Part of the fun of Arch is deciphering what went wrong and why. Manjaro might simplyfy the installation process but eventually you'll run into an update that causes indigestion

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1766 on: Fri, 30 June 2017, 15:23:07 »
I don't like to fiddle with my system. I like to be running the latest/greatest stable apps and libraries.
Why are you running Arch, those two statements really don't work well together.

Arch isn't stable, it's more of a rolling Release Candidate, which falls between beta and gold release.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline antquinonez

« Reply #1767 on: Fri, 30 June 2017, 17:37:58 »
I don't like to fiddle with my system. I like to be running the latest/greatest stable apps and libraries.
Why are you running Arch, those two statements really don't work well together.

Arch isn't stable, it's more of a rolling Release Candidate, which falls between beta and gold release.

I'm not running Arch. I'm running Manjaro, which is billed as more user-friendly extension of Arch. I like the frequent updates. Occasionally, I get pre-built package problems but I've been able to overcome them. I'm careful with installing from the Arch User Repository, which introduces complexity, but there's the odd thing from there that I use.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #1768 on: Fri, 30 June 2017, 18:35:44 »
Debian 9 is out, looking forward to Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE) 3 to be released soon.

Want to follow the church of Richard Stallman - but it's like being Vegan, quite hard to survive. Would rather be just a vegetarian.
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #1769 on: Sat, 01 July 2017, 06:06:33 »
If I was to reach that level of frustration I believe I'd install arch or something similar, add a tiling wm (i3wm, etc.) to the xinit script, and avoid a DE/GDM altogether. Lordy.
Don't be snotty. It is not regression that I want. I want well-designed user interface that works well, and works well along established principles. Convention is an important principle, because it allows users to keep their habits and work efficiently. Now instead, we have some apps with scrollbars that work one way and other apps with scrollbars that work another way.
Requiring users to use a scrollbar that does not work like a scrollbar should is like exchanging all their keyboards with chiclet keyboards.
This change is not development but regression to a more primitive behaviour, like how it worked in some toolkits that are now really arcane ... except for a new behaviour that is triggered when you hold down the button for a second, and will only make it appear as if the scrollbar is buggy.

The GNOME 3 developers have hijacked the development of the user interface toolkit GTK+ and imposed their ideas on everyone.
The GNOME 3 devs do not "own" GTK. They have no right to impose these changes on others.
There are tens of thousands of non-GNOME apps that use GTK+. It was originally developed for the painting program The Gimp - and the change of GTK+ has changed also that program's behaviour.

The right way to introduce a new behaviour of such a basic widget would have been to implement it to be enabled by an option in a config file distributed with GNOME 3, leaving the original default behaviour intact - not requiring that everyone else should conform to them.
This change is disrespectful to the users, to previous developers of GTK+ and to other developers of GTK+ programs.

(Edited for grammar and to make the point clearer)
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 July 2017, 08:25:30 by Findecanor »

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #1770 on: Sat, 01 July 2017, 07:02:56 »
In other words, GNOME in a nutshell. It's not like they didn't make such decisions in the pre-Shell days either. After all, they, for example, moved from Sawfish to Metacity.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1771 on: Sat, 01 July 2017, 10:27:47 »
Don't be snotty. It is not regression that I want. I want well-designed user interface that works well, and works well along established principles. Convention is an important principle, because it allows users to keep their habits and work efficiently. Now instead, we have some apps with scrollbars that work one way and other apps with scrollbars that work another way.
Requiring users to use a scrollbar that does not work like a scrollbar should is like exchanging all their keyboards with chiclet keyboards.
This change is not development but regression to a more primitive behaviour, like how it worked in some toolkits that are now really arcane ... except for a new behaviour that is triggered when you hold down the button for a second, and will only make it appear as if the scrollbar is buggy.

The GNOME 3 developers have hijacked the development of the user interface toolkit GTK+ and imposed their ideas on everyone.
The GNOME 3 devs do not "own" GTK. They have no right to impose these changes on others.
There are tens of thousands of non-GNOME apps that use GTK+. It was originally developed for the painting program The Gimp - and the change of GTK+ has changed also that program's behaviour.

The right way to introduce a new behaviour of such a basic widget would have been to implement it to be enabled by an option in a config file distributed with GNOME 3, leaving the original default behaviour intact - not requiring that everyone else should conform to them.
This change is disrespectful to the users, to previous developers of GTK+ and to other developers of GTK+ programs.

(Edited for grammar and to make the point clearer)

The Gimp? I'm only five years in as a linux user (my local stores did not carry box copies of Linux iirc) so perhaps I can't comprehend the differences and the disrespect you mentioned. I've heard others in podcasts almost match your level of frustation in regards to Gnome's past and future and I also see that continual trend towards touchscreens and active digitizers so I took a different route for short period of time and whittled everything down to the basics.

Offline jjanssen1

« Reply #1772 on: Sun, 09 July 2017, 20:50:01 »
Just got Arch linux and GNOME working on my old 21.5" iMac :)

IBM Model M 1386303

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #1773 on: Sun, 09 July 2017, 22:51:09 »

Show Image

Lookin' sexy!

Offline Altis

« Reply #1774 on: Mon, 10 July 2017, 11:47:57 »

Show Image

Panel / Taskbar >> Dock

:cool:
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #1775 on: Mon, 10 July 2017, 12:06:01 »
I am not a fan of taskbars. First of all, using multiple workspaces obviates the need for minimized or overlapping most windows. With multiple workspaces, it is much easier to navigate in two dimensions where windows stay put than in a one-dimensional task bar that constantly changes.
Second: when you need to look up a particular window, a vertical "window menu" is more effective: Window titles aren't abbreviated (as much) and window menus are often smarter: Windows ordered by workspace and with icons to show which windows are minimized.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1776 on: Mon, 10 July 2017, 13:27:42 »

Show Image

Lookin' sexy!

Seconded. I think the Brobot wraps it all together rather well

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #1777 on: Tue, 11 July 2017, 14:34:45 »
Definitely bounced around a lot but I've come back to Arch several times and been on it consistently for about 5 years now. Just really enjoy building up the system how I want, the AUR and the rolling release model. My personal flip flop is always around the DE. Can't ever seem to be happy and change every few months.  :D
I used to be like you, I was never happy with how it looked and I spent so much time customizing that I usually borked the system.  :))
I've been running my Linux machines with pretty much the same OS' for about a year now and I haven't changed anything, that's huge for me. :p

same here for about 2.5 years, and for much of that with a VERY similar void+cwm+lemonbar config. it's very comfortable for me now on a single monitor setup (though i did have some problems trying out multimon with linux cwm, i bet openbsd's handles it just fine).

11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1778 on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 12:07:18 »
Definitely bounced around a lot but I've come back to Arch several times and been on it consistently for about 5 years now. Just really enjoy building up the system how I want, the AUR and the rolling release model. My personal flip flop is always around the DE. Can't ever seem to be happy and change every few months.  :D
I used to be like you, I was never happy with how it looked and I spent so much time customizing that I usually borked the system.  :))
I've been running my Linux machines with pretty much the same OS' for about a year now and I haven't changed anything, that's huge for me. :p

same here for about 2.5 years, and for much of that with a VERY similar void+cwm+lemonbar config. it's very comfortable for me now on a single monitor setup (though i did have some problems trying out multimon with linux cwm, i bet openbsd's handles it just fine).

Show Image

Hmm, perhaps I'll give Void a try after Gentoo. Really digging the minimalism

Offline raxander

« Reply #1779 on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 20:47:34 »
I'm running Mint right now with fluxbox.  Arch is probably my favorite and I was running that for a long time, will probably switch back to that at some point. I like the philosophy and their wiki and forums are the best - very easy to get high-quality help if you're willing to do some basic investigation before posting.  The reason I switched to it in the first place was that I had been running Ubuntu, and I noticed that as I was searching for stuff on my box, they were showing me wares they wanted me to buy!  Ewww, I thought, were they really looking at my local search and deciding what to market to me?!  And doing a ps -Af there were all sorts of processes running that I didn't know what they were.  So I loved Arch because you're building it up from a minimal core and making conscious decisions about what you want running on your box, and I learned a lot in the process.  I wasn't so excited about the switch to systemd (and pulseaudio for that matter), but I guess I'm over it.  Though I seriously considered switching to another *nix around that time.

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #1780 on: Fri, 14 July 2017, 13:29:23 »
3 computers at home run Ubuntu Gnome. two are attached to tvs and one is my personal laptop. i have two arch linux boxes with gnome running at my office. i use to run gentoo at the office but they became too problematic over time.

i have one windows box at home and one at work as well. the one at home is strictly for gaming and VR as the Oculus SDK and SteamVR SDk do not really support linux at all. also i steam link my games from windows to my linux laptop all the time at home. i also have a work laptop with windows because i have to have one as a sysadmin to support my users.
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

« Reply #1781 on: Fri, 14 July 2017, 22:25:09 »
Running Raspbian on a Raspberry Pi 3 B+. It's my 7th Pi and I like it. Still working on acclimating to Linux though, and all it's distributions. My goal for August is to build my own Linux kernel using Linux From Scratch. I'll have plenty of time while I'm home with my daughter who should be born in the coming weeks.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #1782 on: Sat, 15 July 2017, 00:54:23 »
Running Raspbian on a Raspberry Pi 3 B+. It's my 7th Pi and I like it. Still working on acclimating to Linux though, and all it's distributions. My goal for August is to build my own Linux kernel using Linux From Scratch. I'll have plenty of time while I'm home with my daughter who should be born in the coming weeks.
Congrats on the little one. :D
Building a kernel from scratch is quite the undertaking I would imagine. You a programmer by trade?

3 computers at home run Ubuntu Gnome. two are attached to tvs and one is my personal laptop. i have two arch linux boxes with gnome running at my office. i use to run gentoo at the office but they became too problematic over time.

i have one windows box at home and one at work as well. the one at home is strictly for gaming and VR as the Oculus SDK and SteamVR SDk do not really support linux at all. also i steam link my games from windows to my linux laptop all the time at home. i also have a work laptop with windows because i have to have one as a sysadmin to support my users.
Yeah same here basically.
All other PC's than my gaming one runs Linux in some variant or another.
Also have a small server set up for all sorts of random tasks.

Planning on setting up a pi for surveillance.

Offline iri

« Reply #1783 on: Sat, 15 July 2017, 05:37:23 »
Building a kernel isn't difficult at all and you don't need LFS for that. It is possible to build a custom kernel and use it with your current distro.

-Ray Bradbury

« Reply #1784 on: Sat, 15 July 2017, 13:03:51 »
Congrats on the little one. :D
Building a kernel from scratch is quite the undertaking I would imagine. You a programmer by trade?

Thanks, and it apparently isn't that bad. I worked in an emergency department and one of our volunteers got me into all of this. I'm by no means a programmer. I just enjoy breaking stuff and figuring out how to put it back together. So I feel this was just a natural progression. Also, the Linux From Scratch is rated for anyone with a highschool diploma and up by what I gathered from a bunch of Raspberry Pi and Linux forums.

Offline robotsokk

« Reply #1785 on: Sat, 15 July 2017, 14:38:09 »
Also, the Linux From Scratch is rated for anyone with a highschool diploma and up by what I gathered from a bunch of Raspberry Pi and Linux forums.

Hadn't heard of this resource before -- will definitely be checking it out. Thanks for sharing :) Seems it will not only be a good way to get familiar with the process of rolling my own Linux system, but will also be helpful for getting more familiar with its inner workings. And I'm sure it could prove useful for projects where I'd like to use a low-resource system and have lots of control over the config.
@home      @work Swapping out boards... coming soon     wtb

« Reply #1786 on: Sat, 15 July 2017, 16:24:20 »
Yeah, it's pretty cool. My buddy who introduced me to it told me he's made kernels as small as just a couple hundred kB. I realize this still might be huge to some, but I can't imagine you can't truncate it even further to your liking once you're comfortable.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #1787 on: Sat, 15 July 2017, 18:56:02 »
I tried to upgrade Kubuntu from 16.10 to 17.04, because support is ending this month. It didn't go too well. Basically, I disabled backports but forgot to downgrade packages from there, and then ended up with dependency hell. Lesson learned, I guess.

Anyway, I'm on 17.04 now and things seem to work fine. Some slightly annoying bugs and broken packages are fixed, so it's even slightly better thus far.

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #1788 on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 15:25:19 »
I tried to upgrade Kubuntu from 16.10 to 17.04, because support is ending this month. It didn't go too well. Basically, I disabled backports but forgot to downgrade packages from there, and then ended up with dependency hell. Lesson learned, I guess.

Anyway, I'm on 17.04 now and things seem to work fine. Some slightly annoying bugs and broken packages are fixed, so it's even slightly better thus far.

yeah i do data backup and fresh install all my linux and windows boxes. hell i even do this for the 250+ people i support at my job.  fresh installs all the way man.
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline pluplog

« Reply #1789 on: Sun, 23 July 2017, 09:42:03 »
My work and home boxes run NixOS, and I have a laptop that I carry around with Xubuntu.
Kinesis Advantage | Kinesis Advantage Pro | Maltron L89 | Filco Minila

Offline yuppie

« Reply #1790 on: Sun, 23 July 2017, 10:05:51 »
Main workstation is latest OS X. Everything at work right now is Ubuntu. I cut my teeth on Arch back in the day. Great way to learn.
"Overall, it's a good community..  wish you well on your Pokemon Journey.." - TP4
Current Trades -- Wishlist

Offline __red__

« Reply #1791 on: Sun, 23 July 2017, 13:32:59 »
My work and home boxes run NixOS, and I have a laptop that I carry around with Xubuntu.

NixOS here too... /high-five/

Offline antquinonez

« Reply #1792 on: Mon, 24 July 2017, 09:33:26 »

It says it's a declarative operating system. I like declarative (don't worry about the how, just tell me what you want). I'll have to try this out...I'm buying a new (used) computer on eBay by the end of the week. I'm going from buying keyboards to buying computers. I better watch out.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #1793 on: Mon, 24 July 2017, 12:50:31 »

It says it's a declarative operating system. I like declarative (don't worry about the how, just tell me what you want). I'll have to try this out...I'm buying a new (used) computer on eBay by the end of the week. I'm going from buying keyboards to buying computers. I better watch out.
In my experience you end up with enough PCs after a while. I can never get enough keyboards though. :p

Offline pluplog

« Reply #1794 on: Mon, 24 July 2017, 14:17:57 »

Can't complain about more boxes..  :))
Give it a go. I like how my boxes all share one configuration file. If you do development, you'll quickly come to like nix-shell. The folks at the irc channel could help you out if you run into issues.
Kinesis Advantage | Kinesis Advantage Pro | Maltron L89 | Filco Minila

Offline JohanAR

« Reply #1795 on: Wed, 16 August 2017, 04:56:14 »
Xubuntu (with arc-theme) on main/gaming PC at home. HTPC is running Arch. Planning on setting up a home server which will probably run Debian. Regrettably I had to install a Win10 dual boot for Vive usage but hopefully there will be better Linux support for VR in the future.

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #1796 on: Sun, 08 October 2017, 09:54:42 »
Ubuntu.
Current:
    Ducky DK9008P [MX Blues] | WASD V2 TKL [MX Blues] | r63 (Satan 60% DIY) [Gateron Browns] | BananaSplit 60% [Gateron Greens] | UK78 [67g Zealios] | Infinity ErgoDox [MX Clears] | Pearl 40% [78g Zealios] | G81-3000
Coming up:
    DZ60/SKB60-WKL [100g MX Silent Blacks] | G81-3000 [Box Navies] Handwire
IC/GB:
    GMK Strogg | G81/80-3000 MX metal plate

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #1797 on: Sun, 08 October 2017, 10:02:07 »
Anybody here use any of that CLEAR LINUX?

Benchmarks look amazing. Don't like that it is owned by Intel though.. But imagine what could be done to linux if we drop backwards compatibility and optimize for fast modern hardware. Like arch with i686 only, already a step in the right direction.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1798 on: Sun, 08 October 2017, 14:21:52 »
Nope.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1799 on: Sun, 08 October 2017, 20:33:44 »
Anybody here use any of that CLEAR LINUX?

Benchmarks look amazing. Don't like that it is owned by Intel though.. But imagine what could be done to linux if we drop backwards compatibility and optimize for fast modern hardware. Like arch with i686 only, already a step in the right direction.
Anytime someone claims they have a faster or more efficient Linux, take it with a GIGANTIC grain of salt.
It's using the same underlying OS and since it's open source, they all can use those same tweaks to make their system just as fast, if it was true.

Linux doesn't really have any backwards compatibility dragging it down like Windows, at least not in the same way. Linux is in a constant state of flux and upgrade, which renews itself. It's not perfect, because on occasion it does cause a system failure, but it's usually not too difficult to fix. It just doesn't carry the baggage like Windows does.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion