Poll

What should happen with the payment discrepancy?

Refund money to participants
9 (25%)
Send participants extra switches
8 (22.2%)
Send participants silly things and donate money
19 (52.8%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Voting closed: Mon, 26 October 2015, 15:35:50

Author Topic: [GB] Alps Party 60% - Hannibal at the Gates  (Read 300833 times)

Offline stoic-lemon

Re: [GB] Alps Party 60% - Hannibal at the Gates
« Reply #800 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 04:02:42 »
Good on you for going above and beyond.

I would love to make my own Alps keycaps. ;)

EDIT: Blimey! Top of the page!
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 November 2015, 04:10:05 by stoic-lemon »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #801 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 09:09:20 »
the last one I will give to someone when the mood takes me.

* HoffmanMyster cozies up to the water bottle and stares longingly in its spout, in the way that only a true lover can

* HoffmanMyster woos the bluest of Nalgenes, the truest of group-buyers

:-*

Offline geniekid

« Reply #802 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 09:21:19 »
[...]Three of these will go to people instrumental in helping me organize this GB - hasu, JDCarpe, and njbair.  I know it isn't much and not everyone is interested in artisans, but it is a gesture of thanks by creating something special and unique for those people to do with as they see fit.[...]

Hooray for people who push Alps forward! :thumb:

Offline phosphoric

« Reply #803 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 12:50:09 »
P.S. Welcome to the buy!
Thanks, I've lurked GK for a long time, I finally signed up because of this GB  :cool:

At your leisure, which plate did Sed8op8, and by proxy I, get? When she said Dell, I assumed AT101W, but since there's also AT101 and AT102W.. it's all so confusing for a nub  :'(
should fit for either. i think they both have the same keycap spacings, so you should be golden

At101w is standard
At101 has non standard bottom row
At102w is iso
well... not the first time i've been very, very wrong :))
Let's get this straight. There is nothing cool about keyboards we're all lame as fk.

speak for yourself

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #804 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 14:48:38 »
Thanks for all your work BlueNalgene! :thumb:

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #805 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 15:15:58 »
Y'all need to quit thanking me so early.  I still have plenty of time to royally **** up.  ;)

The plates are cut.  I'm not sure when I will be able to pick them up though, the Thanksgiving holiday may mean I have to wait until Monday depending on their hours. 

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • hickneller.com
« Reply #806 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 15:19:29 »
Y'all need to quit thanking me so early.  I still have plenty of time to royally **** up.  ;)
I have faith in you!   :thumb:

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #807 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 15:20:35 »

What could you possib...

The plates are cut.  I'm not sure when I will be able to pick them up though, the Thanksgiving holiday may mean I have to wait until Monday depending on their hours.

Oh you lazy, no good ... you're just like all the others!   :mad:  :'(

i keed. i keed.

Offline tominabox1

« Reply #808 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 15:28:21 »

I didn't even buy a plate..... GIVE ME MY SWITCHES!!!!

:p enjoy the holiday, we all have so much to be thankful for,  not the least this fun gb.

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
« Reply #809 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 16:48:58 »

I didn't even buy a plate..... GIVE ME MY SWITCHES!!!!

:p enjoy the holiday, we all have so much to be thankful for,  not the least this fun gb.

I shoulda bought more switches for my monarch. Oh well!

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #810 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 17:53:29 »

It always starts with "just" a weekend long delay... :rolleyes:

Offline neverused

« Reply #811 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 17:58:10 »
 If there's an extra pcb or plate, I'd love to grab them.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #812 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 18:09:50 »

Next we'll find out he's not even really a water bottle.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #813 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 18:11:10 »

Next we'll find out he's not even really a water bottle.

There's only so many lies and acts of betrayal that I can handle.  That would clearly cross the line.

* HoffmanMyster prays that he did in fact give a water bottle hundreds of dollars

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #814 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 18:55:46 »
May I ask what sort of trinkets to expect from the whole switch payment thing?
Also, go Blue!

As of right now, there are two things.  I have a quote out for stickers to be printed based on the logo in the OP of this thread.  My usual guy has a 30 day lead time, so I have requested a quote from someone new that tigersharkdude recommended.  The other thing is a 3d printed alps/mx converter I designed.  They have been made before: see here and here.  I made my own with some minor differences such as a void in the alps end to save on cost, camfering on the alps end, and a modest base (smaller than nubbinators but actually there compared to MrInterface/Murium's).  The status of the printing is: Shapeways is pissing me off today.  Seriously, how can only a few of them have loose shells when they are arranged symmetrically.  Bull****.

Since the extra switches used to fund these projects are not sold yet, I'm a bit nervous about doing too much else.  Everything is currently out of pocket.  That is why I planned to donate anything remaining. 

edit:

« Last Edit: Tue, 24 November 2015, 18:58:22 by BlueNalgene »

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #815 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 20:55:19 »
Also, go Blue!

As of right now, there are two things.  I have a quote out for stickers to be printed based on the logo in the OP of this thread.  My usual guy has a 30 day lead time, so I have requested a quote from someone new that tigersharkdude recommended.  The other thing is a 3d printed alps/mx converter I designed.  They have been made before: see here and here.  I made my own with some minor differences such as a void in the alps end to save on cost, camfering on the alps end, and a modest base (smaller than nubbinators but actually there compared to MrInterface/Murium's).  The status of the printing is: Shapeways is pissing me off today.  Seriously, how can only a few of them have loose shells when they are arranged symmetrically.  Bull****.

Since the extra switches used to fund these projects are not sold yet, I'm a bit nervous about doing too much else.  Everything is currently out of pocket.  That is why I planned to donate anything remaining. 

edit:

Show Image

The whole switch payment still confused me, but these are looking awesome so far!

stickers.
oh yeah I saw that crazy **** if that doesn't win I'm deleting my account

/ orthodox - 78g zealios / alps64 - mtsc / sentraq s-60x rgb - gat blues / let's split - 67g zealios / let's split - 67g zealios /

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
« Reply #816 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 21:18:15 »
Also, go Blue!

edit:

Show Image

Does anyone know the feasibility of SLA printing something like this?

Offline phosphoric

« Reply #817 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 23:19:37 »
my vote is for the converters. they'd be great for artisans  ;)
Let's get this straight. There is nothing cool about keyboards we're all lame as fk.

speak for yourself

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
« Reply #818 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 23:38:27 »
my vote is for the converters. they'd be great for artisans  ;)

Yeah, they're great... But I haven't seen anybody get these things to play nice with Shapeways.

Offline phosphoric

« Reply #819 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 00:33:52 »
kind of regret not adding matias switches, which is an issue because i've already desoldered my aek ii... dang

speak for yourself

Offline E3E

« Reply #820 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 02:55:41 »
kind of regret not adding matias switches, which is an issue because i've already desoldered my aek ii... dang

Can't you just use the switches from your AEK II?

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #821 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 03:16:26 »

i have enough matias for a 60%, want?
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline phosphoric

« Reply #822 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 08:58:24 »

yeah, that's what im planning on doing but i kinda want to try the matias haha

no haha. i just wanna know what they feel like and if i should even use them in my build

speak for yourself

Offline Yoe

• Alps & ISO <3
« Reply #823 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 09:14:18 »

no haha. i just wanna know what they feel like and if i should even use them in my build

If the Alps from your AEKII are in good condition, I'd say using Matias switches instead of them is a step down (or to the side at least). The dampened Alps are a bit more noisy than the Matias Silent Click though, if that matters.

Offline cheddarbek

[GB] Alps Party 60% - Hannibal at the Gates
« Reply #824 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 11:07:27 »
If the Alps from your AEKII are in good condition, I'd say using Matias switches instead of them is a step down (or to the side at least). The dampened Alps are a bit more noisy than the Matias Silent Click though, if that matters.

Agreed. I put Matias Clicks on my round 2 board initially, but they just weren't as nice (to me) as the whites on my AEKII. I thought the Matias were too light and too scratchy. I was much happier with white Alps on it.

On the round 3 boards I am entertaining the idea of Matias linears for the mods though. I figure that since they aren't tactile, I'll like the feel compared to original Alps.
The Alps cover 65% of Switzerland's surface area (41,285 km²), making it one of the most alpine countries. Despite the fact that Switzerland covers only 14% of the Alps total area (192,753 km²),[2][3] many alpine four-thousanders (48 of 82) are located in the Swiss Alps and practically all of the remaining few are within 20 km of the country's border.

Offline phosphoric

« Reply #825 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 11:26:19 »

Agreed. I put Matias Clicks on my round 2 board initially, but they just weren't as nice (to me) as the whites on my AEKII. I thought the Matias were too light and too scratchy. I was much happier with white Alps on it.

On the round 3 boards I am entertaining the idea of Matias linears for the mods though. I figure that since they aren't tactile, I'll like the feel compared to original Alps.
really? that's surprising to me, especially considering that everybody bags on cream damped alps. they're an excellent typing experience... i just thought that matias switches might feel better considering the lack of hype behind the aek ii and its switches. regardless, the cream damped are the switches i'm using anyway

speak for yourself

Offline cheddarbek

« Reply #826 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 13:47:08 »
really? that's surprising to me, especially considering that everybody bags on cream damped alps. they're an excellent typing experience... i just thought that matias switches might feel better considering the lack of hype behind the aek ii and its switches. regardless, the cream damped are the switches i'm using anyway

Oh no no no. I loathe damped cream alps. My AEKII at work is the ~1995 Mexican made model with whites. I've left that unmolested, but I picked up some other whites for my round 2 board.
The Alps cover 65% of Switzerland's surface area (41,285 km²), making it one of the most alpine countries. Despite the fact that Switzerland covers only 14% of the Alps total area (192,753 km²),[2][3] many alpine four-thousanders (48 of 82) are located in the Swiss Alps and practically all of the remaining few are within 20 km of the country's border.

Offline Yoe

• Alps & ISO <3
« Reply #827 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 14:10:46 »

Oh no no no. I loathe damped cream alps. My AEKII at work is the ~1995 Mexican made model with whites. I've left that unmolested, but I picked up some other whites for my round 2 board.

And I prefer the cream over the whites! I guess it's a personal preference thing :)

Offline phosphoric

« Reply #828 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 15:26:49 »

And I prefer the cream over the whites! I guess it's a personal preference thing :)
haha, good thing i'm one of the people that prefers the cream damped. ah well. this made me significantly happier about choosing not to get matias switches. it was kind of a shame to take apart my aek ii because it was in such good condition, but i figured that i wasn't even going to use it because of it its size anyway, so repurposing into a 60% would make more sense.

totally jumping from topic to topic here, but does anybody have thoughts on the tex acrylic case on massdrop? i've heard a lot of good things about it but i'm not sure if it would match the aesthetic of the beige aek ii keycaps.

speak for yourself

Offline tominabox1

« Reply #829 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 15:30:49 »
I have one and I think it looks amazing. Someone on the forum here has a picture of their alps64 in one...

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #830 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 15:32:58 »
The only worry I have with the alps-mx converters is by taking out more material in the alps side it would make them break extremely easily considering how tight alps stems are.

/ orthodox - 78g zealios / alps64 - mtsc / sentraq s-60x rgb - gat blues / let's split - 67g zealios / let's split - 67g zealios /

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #831 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 15:41:16 »

I'm messing around with dry lubes for Alps switches at home and the first one I tried was a teflon lubricant and it does some pretty neat things to creams and salmons (especially the salmons).  After cleaning and lubricating the creams feel much, much better. I imagine many people who prefer the newer alps probably have used switches that have gotten dusty with age.

I have a few different molybdenum disulfide lubricants with different delivery mediums (primary use is firearms lubrication) that are coming next week so we'll see if those work better or worse with Alps.

Offline Yoe

• Alps & ISO <3
« Reply #832 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 15:47:15 »

I'm messing around with dry lubes for Alps switches at home and the first one I tried was a teflon lubricant and it does some pretty neat things to creams and salmons (especially the salmons).  After cleaning and lubricating the creams feel much, much better. I imagine many people who prefer the newer alps probably have used switches that have gotten dusty with age.

I have a few different molybdenum disulfide lubricants with different delivery mediums (primary use is firearms lubrication) that are coming next week so we'll see if those work better or worse with Alps.

Cool! Any particular brand or type of that teflon lubricant I should look for if I wanna try?

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #833 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 16:01:11 »

Cool! Any particular brand or type of that teflon lubricant I should look for if I wanna try?

The one I'm currently playing with is "DuPont Teflon Non-Stick Dry-Film Lubricant" I'm still messing with the best application method, but i think I'm going to get some needle-point applicators to help get it in the first spots. With the built in nozzle it basically just doused the entire upper housing in lubricant, which is effective, but messy. Definitely wear gloves and don't huff it.

Offline E3E

« Reply #834 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 16:21:53 »

The one I'm currently playing with is "DuPont Teflon Non-Stick Dry-Film Lubricant" I'm still messing with the best application method, but i think I'm going to get some needle-point applicators to help get it in the first spots. With the built in nozzle it basically just doused the entire upper housing in lubricant, which is effective, but messy. Definitely wear gloves and don't huff it.

Nubbs praises Molly D as a great lubricant for Alps. I picked up a bottle of the stuff in powder form from an Etsy seller and it is pretty nice! Though, most of my boards feel nicer with just a quick puff of compressed air. None seem bad enough to require lubrication, as I've tested a lubed vs unlubed switch and, to me, I felt no perceivable difference. This coming from someone who does feel differences in lubed vs unlubed MX switches.

Offline phosphoric

« Reply #835 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 16:35:13 »

I have one and I think it looks amazing. Someone on the forum here has a picture of their alps64 in one...
jumped in on the drop. i totally forgot that somebody had posted that picture before haha

speak for yourself

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #836 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 16:51:42 »

Nubbs praises Molly D as a great lubricant for Alps. I picked up a bottle of the stuff in powder form from an Etsy seller and it is pretty nice! Though, most of my boards feel nicer with just a quick puff of compressed air. None seem bad enough to require lubrication, as I've tested a lubed vs unlubed switch and, to me, I felt no perceivable difference. This coming from someone who does feel differences in lubed vs unlubed MX switches.

I saw no difference between the lubed and cleaned-only oranges I messed with. But the salmons I have saw huge improvement with a full iso rub down and again with lubricant. The creams was more subtle but the upstroke was much snappier -- it's funny as it was then louder (with an audible click on the upstroke) than either the salmons or oranges. I think some more experimentation will yield a good middle ground.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #837 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 17:19:40 »

Do you disassemble them then blow them out with air?

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline E3E

« Reply #838 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 19:02:53 »

Do you disassemble them then blow them out with air?

Yep! Nothing more complicated than that; I just make sure that I get everything cleaned well.

Offline phosphoric

« Reply #839 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 20:23:48 »
Nubbs praises Molly D as a great lubricant for Alps.
could you link me?

speak for yourself

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #840 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 20:31:29 »
could you link me?

Source, me.  Molybdenum Disulfide is an awesome lube if, and a strong conditional here, you do not over lubricate.  You just want a very very light dusting.  Molybdenum Disulfide is actually used in some plastics to lube it and it's not uncommon for people to tumble bullets in it to make cleaning guns easier.

I highly recommend buying it here.  I got mine from there and it shipped ridiculously quick and was the best price I found anywhere.

Alps do seem to generally be smoother than MX though, so you won't notice a huge difference unless you have really awful messed up stems.  A good cleaning and light lubing on dirty stems makes a world of difference.

I wouldn't recommend any kind of wet or grease lube for Alps since they have a more open housing.
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 November 2015, 20:34:24 by nubbinator »

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
« Reply #841 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 22:07:23 »
could you link me?

Source, me.  Molybdenum Disulfide is an awesome lube if, and a strong conditional here, you do not over lubricate.  You just want a very very light dusting.  Molybdenum Disulfide is actually used in some plastics to lube it and it's not uncommon for people to tumble bullets in it to make cleaning guns easier.

I highly recommend buying it here.  I got mine from there and it shipped ridiculously quick and was the best price I found anywhere.

Alps do seem to generally be smoother than MX though, so you won't notice a huge difference unless you have really awful messed up stems.  A good cleaning and light lubing on dirty stems makes a world of difference.

I wouldn't recommend any kind of wet or grease lube for Alps since they have a more open housing.

I might just have to pick some of that stuff up and redo my blue alps, thanks  :)

Is there any recommended application method?

Offline phosphoric

« Reply #842 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 22:11:14 »

could you link me?

thanks! do you happen to know if they'll affect cream damped? i know that jbondeson said something about them... were your cream alps dirty?

speak for yourself

Offline sakai4eva

« Reply #843 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 23:33:01 »
Hey, I just have a question...

I ordered this thing with the stabs, but I remember seeing somewhere that the infiniti plate will not exactly work with the stabs on offer. Anyone with any idea on how do I fix/workaround this?

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #844 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 23:38:59 »
I was worried that I would have to but some kind of exotic lube for these switches, but I think it would best to give them a blast with some air instead.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #845 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 23:45:36 »

Thanks for the recommendation.  I will give this a try on some Salmon ALPS I took out of a dirty M0116.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #846 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 23:51:36 »

Just in case anyone was curious, the common lube around here Krytox (also a DuPont product) is a "Teflon" (fluorinated hydrocarbon, Teflon is actually a product name like Kleenex) lubricant as well.  It's not a dry lube, and has a different purpose, but I thought you might care to know if you didn't already.  :thumb:  You're basically using a dry Krytox.  :D

Offline Yoe

• Alps & ISO <3
« Reply #847 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 03:00:13 »

Thanks!  :thumb:

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #848 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 19:59:38 »
Hey, I just have a question...

I ordered this thing with the stabs, but I remember seeing somewhere that the infiniti plate will not exactly work with the stabs on offer. Anyone with any idea on how do I fix/workaround this?

For mine, I plan on bending the wire to adjust for it.

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #849 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 20:04:56 »
Just totaled up what I spent on this...
Probably really inexpensive for a custom, but not for me :P