Author Topic: [IC] GMK 64  (Read 3488 times)

Offline Literate_Waffle

[IC] GMK 64
« on: Wed, 27 February 2019, 16:34:52 »
Hello everyone, this is an interest check for GMK 64 (open to name suggestions), a keyset inspired by the iconic C64 caps - for the first time in Cherry profile.

In my mind, the caps from the C64 are probably THE most memorable caps out there. They inspire a certain sense of rugged reliability and I feel that it is finally time to bring these unique beauties into the scene in a new way.

Cherry profile is obviously beloved by the community, and offers a unique new look to the set. For this reason I have decided to go in this direction, rather than encroaching on other designers Hi-pro runs. I feel that the tighter dimensions of Cherry will help to reimagine the iconic side-printed alphas, while maintaining their nostalgic feel.

The goal with this set is to keep cost, and the overall number of keys down. For this reason there will only be one kit. I have designed the set with small boards in mind. It is compatible with all 40% boards, most 50s, and with your help I hope to ensure it also has good compatibility in the 60% family.

The colours will not be custom, again in order to keep cost down. GMK has a beautiful dark brown which will work perfectly: BV is its code. The cream colour will be L9, the same used in 9009.

So, please let me know your thoughts. I appreciate any feedback.

I hope you are as excited as I am at the prospect of finally having a new take on this iconic set.

Reddit Linck to IC with images: https://reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/avjajf/ic_gmk_64/

Offline packman86

• Morning Coffee
Re: [IC] GMK 64
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 27 February 2019, 16:44:46 »
Limiting the compatibility on this set is a huge mistake. There simply aren't enough 40% boards/owners out there that would allow this to make MOQ.

I would 100% be in if there was a normal compatibility (look at the Jamon set for example https://i.imgur.com/fmgwEyD.png )

Keyboard Collection:

More

TGR Jane V2 | TGR Jane V2 CE | TGR Alice | TGR Dolice | TGR 910 | TGR x Singa UNIKORN 60 | Matrix 8XV 2.0 Korea Version | Matrix 8XV 2.0add | LZ CLS s h x | Duck Jetfire | TX-CP | QXP | Noxary X65 | RAMA M60-A | Model F62 "Kishsaver"

Offline etong415

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 27 February 2019, 16:48:32 »
Limiting the compatibility on this set is a huge mistake. There simply aren't enough 40% boards/owners out there that would allow this to make MOQ.

I would 100% be in if there was a normal compatibility (look at the Jamon set for example https://i.imgur.com/fmgwEyD.png )
Second this, GMK Paperwork had a lot of complaints on compatibility as well

Offline Literate_Waffle

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 27 February 2019, 17:00:56 »

Definitely might have to open up the compatibility to at least TKL. I’m coming from the 40% community and we’re pushing for a set designed from small to big, rather than the usual way. Want to see how things shake out. If a ton of people want TKL, then that will absolutely be the direction the set goes. Thanks for the comment!

Offline OtherAndrew

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 27 February 2019, 19:00:17 »
yikes

Offline vicissitude

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 27 February 2019, 19:20:03 »
The alpha is so wonderful.
Only hope this can turn out to be a whole set for 80% or 100% keyboard.
Please add a few more kits.

Offline Hedgey

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 27 February 2019, 23:33:59 »
This color is not for me, but I hope we see more and more of the compatiblity setup seen here.  It's much needed in this community and comments like "You'll never hit MOQ" just show how many people haven't been paying attention to the under 60% crowd lately.
"Resellers don't kill the community, auctioneers kill the community. Look at what happened to Diablo 3"

Offline harlekein

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 02:23:36 »
This color is not for me, but I hope we see more and more of the compatiblity setup seen here.  It's much needed in this community and comments like "You'll never hit MOQ" just show how many people haven't been paying attention to the under 60% crowd lately.

I agree. For GMK kits ortho users are expected to buy full base kit and often an additional modifier kit coming to $150+. And then the resulting sales numbers are used to prove that there is no interest for it.

I am glad to see kits like this come up to prove this wrong.

GMK Paperwork made the mistake to not even include any additional layout options or a number row.

Offline Literate_Waffle

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 13:31:41 »
I appreciate that. Though this is obviously in the very early stages it’s good to see that people can open their eyes to what I am trying to do compatibly wise. I hope I can make it into something special for the 60% and under crowd, they sure need it.

Offline Rubbermilitia

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 14:05:59 »
Would love a set like this for the upcoming UD_40 but I'm not a big fan of the color either. Maybe a similar color in a more pastel shade.

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 08 March 2019, 09:48:56 »

:)) I look at that core set and see a whole bunch of keys I won't ever use. Just like most GMK sets.