Author Topic: 60 key alterntive/ergonomic layout  (Read 2288 times)

Offline peterstock

60 key alterntive/ergonomic layout
« on: Mon, 03 February 2014, 14:38:26 »
I got a TypeMatrix 2020 keyboard a while ago, and I liked the straight column layout and central enter & backspace keys. It's getting a bit old now so I need a new one, and I decided to make my own.

So here's the layout I've settled on. What do you think?

53068-0
53070-1
53072-2

The only similar designs for the thumb keys I could find were the Keyboard.IO and some old japanese NEC keyboards - which look really good to me. Is there anything else I've missed? I don't think I can move my thumbs back and forward much, so the 3x3 grid layout of thumb keys the Malton, Kinesis and ErgoDox use doesn't seem so usable to me.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
Re: 60 key alterntive/ergonomic layout
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 03 February 2014, 16:09:21 »
You can make do with only one Alt, Ctrl and Shift since they are now thumb buttons. So you can put L1, Tab and Backspace on thumb buttons, too.

This is how I do it: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=49721.msg1078758#msg1078758

I've changed a few keys around since then, but it gives a good general idea.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline SonOfSonOfSpock

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 03 February 2014, 18:20:55 »
Nice layout. I agree with the small thumb keys, it's a lot easier to hit larger ones. If you are a software developer, putting F11 and F12 over near F10 would help with debugging since they are often used together.

The Japanese NEC keyboards are one of the claimed design influences of the Key 64 project (and hence the Ergodox). http://www.key64.org/keyboards

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 03 February 2014, 23:20:04 »
* I think you could profitably scoot your numpad downward [right now it requires unnecessary reaching to hit 789]; personally I’d shift 0 to a thumb for the numpad, and then try to move +-*/=,. to somewhere that's as easy to press as possible, maybe on the other hand.

* On your navigation layer, up and down seem like they’re in an okay spot, but I’d move left and right up so they’re on the home row. (Maybe just swap with home/end)

* There’s no reason to put the F keys way up on the number row where you have to reach for them, if they’re going to be on their own layer. You might as well move them down to the main 3 rows of the left hand, since you aren’t otherwise using those keys.

* Are you a programmer? If so, I’d recommend moving lots of symbols away from the shifted number row, where they’re a huge pain in the ass to type fast/accurately.

* I’d recommend at least testing out having backspace on a thumb key instead of reaching 2 columns over with the forefinger. In my experience using an ergodox, having backspace on a thumb key is a really nice feature.

Overall, your layout seems pretty reasonable though. Your thumb keys are a big improvement over the ergodox I think. [Not ideal, but pretty good.]
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 February 2014, 23:21:42 by jacobolus »

Offline peterstock

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 12:21:03 »
Thanks for the ideas! Good call on the F keys and symbols - yes, I'm a programmer, so that would be an improvement.

How do you send a symbol code to the computer though? Do you insert a fake shift sequence (if shift isn't currently down) and send the number key scancode? I'm going to be using a Teensy 2.0, so it's going to be over USB.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 19:39:06 »
Yep, for instance for @ you just send shift down, 2, shift up, or whatever. Try to start out with hasu’s tmk_keyboard firmware https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard – it’s pretty flexible and effective, and the code is also pretty easy to work with.

Offline nomaded

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 02:31:48 »
I've been trying to use my ErgoDox as my daily driver, and my layout has been a work in progress. At this point, it's pretty similar to what you came up with, but I have moved the space and backspace keys to where you have your ctrl keys. I find that my thumbs seem to naturally rest in those locations. I originally had space and backspace where you have your shift keys, but I found it them harder to hit in that position.

Here's my current layout for reference.
Dvorak
ErgoDox fullhand (MX Clears) w/Nuclear Green Data SA || Infinity ErgoDox (Zealios 78g tactile) w/SA Retro || Atreus62 (MX Clears) w/Chocolatier || TECK 209 (MX Browns) || TouchStream ST
Kensington Slimblade Trackball || Logitech Cordless Optical Trackman || Apple Magic Trackpad
Current Dvorak-based ErgoDox layout || Current Dvorak-based TECK layout

Offline peterstock

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 15:08:51 »
jacobolus - thanks for the link, I will study the code.

I've ordered all the bits I need so will be making it soon :)  I'll post in the 'making stuff' forum with pictures!