Author Topic: What ya reading?  (Read 127559 times)

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
What ya reading?
« on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 15:31:06 »
Searched for a thread about books and reading but didn't find anything. Thought I'd make it then.

So the idea is simple - tell about what you're reading.

Let's start off with a few guidelines:
  • What are you reading now and what's the author? Maybe add short description about the book or why you chose it. Maybe just add the genre so others can know if they're interested.
  • What's on your "to read" list if you have it.
  • OPTIONAL Your reading habits. Where and when do you read?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reading right now:
  • Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer. Horror, Science fiction, Mystery. Would add a description but my english isn't that good and don't want to spoil it. But a really fun and scary (I'm a wuss!) read.
  • Agile development with Rails 4 by Sam Ruby. Programming, Educational. Reading for work as I'm a junior developer.

About to start reading:
  • Mo' Meta Blues by Ahmir "Questlove" Thompson. Music, Hip-hop, (Auto)Biography. I really like to listen to him talk about music and well, the man's a walking talking musical Wikipedia. Nuff said.
  • Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell. Psychology, sociology. Recommended by a colleague.

Habits:
     Can't read in a moving vehicle. Got a Kindle as a Christmas gift and started reading again more actively after a year off from books. Now I'm in search of finding the best reads out there. Now I'm trying to read every night before bed but usually reading 2-4 nights a week.
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Re: What ya reading?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 15:45:07 »
There is a book thread somewhere, but it's old, and this is a good place to start a new one.

Currently reading: Station Breaker, by Andrew Mayne.

Next up:
- Citadel 32, by Tom Merritt
- The Life Engineered, by JF Dubeau
- CTRL ALT Revolt!, by Nick Cole
- The Big Fear, by Andrew Case

Habits: I do all my reading either on a Kindle, or by audiobook. The Kindle app on my Fire also does text-to-speech, when no audiobook version is available. I do lots of driving, so the ability to "read" while driving is a great thing.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 15:51:09 »
Gonna pick up the hell's super series.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 16:02:36 »
The Necronomicon by H. P. Lovecraft. I tend to read mostly classics and/or horror, or in this case, a horror classic. I've read it before but it's fun enough to read again, and they're all short stories anyway.

My "going-to-read" list is mostly horrible chemistry bibles I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy xD .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 18:00:41 »
Recently finished: "Words Without Music" by Philip Glass - wonderful! - http://www.amazon.com/Words-without-Music-A-Memoir/dp/1481529153

Read halfway and had to return to the library, will finish later: "Destiny & Power" Jon Meacham - excellent - http://www.amazon.com/Destiny-Power-American-Odyssey-Herbert/dp/1400067650

Just finished: "Diamond Dogs/Turquoise Days" by Alastair Reynolds

Currently reading: "The Year's Best Science Fiction" edited by Gardner Dozois

Up next, maybe?: "Steve Jobs"
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 18:05:40 »
Currently reading:
A Thousand Acres - Smiley, Jane
Out of Sorts - Valognes, Aurélie
Caliban's War (Expanse, #2) - Corey, James S.A.
Mistborn: The Final Empire - Sanderson, Brandon
The Scourge of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #3) - Wheeler, Jeff

I usually read about 5 books at a time. I tend to keep it to about 30-45 min per book just like you might watch TV shows. If something grabs my attention i might burn through it though like I did recently with the first book of The Expanse series.

I love my kindle. Partially because i can haul around my whole library in my pocket but honestly its mostly because i can read in bed while the wife's asleep and not disturb her. I also really love that "X minutes left in chapter" which keeps me reading. I have definitely started buying up used hardbacks on amazon though. Theres just something great about manually flipping paper pages.
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 March 2016, 18:08:54 by boostdemon »
-Dana

Offline ketsumi

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 18:19:32 »
Just started again, "The Raven Boys" by Maggie Stiefvater. The fourth and final book is coming out later this spring so I'm re-reading the earlier ones. This will be my fourth time through this one and then on to "The Dream Thieves" and "Blue Lily, Lily Blue". They are amazing! YA fantasy, if you're in to that sort of thing. They are incredible works of story telling and full of snark. Definitely recommend them and anything she has written.

Offline sek1ne

• Sek-eye-n
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 21:24:54 »
Just finished the expanse series after watching the show. I'm not sure what to read next.
Biking is fun.

Offline thatsmrdoctortoyou

• Dingo babies
    • IG
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 21:26:34 »
Just finished The Girl in the Spider's Web. Pretty good read although the ending left something to be desired.

If you haven't read the Lisbeth Salander series I recommend it!

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 21:29:19 »
Reading volume 24 of The Walking Dead and one of the SoIaF books; I forget their titles.

Was reading new translation of Don Quixote but studies got in the way and haven't had a chance to get back to it. I have my master's in English literature, and yet I don't really read much these days. It makes me sad. ;_;

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 06:29:48 »
i bought 1984 last summer on holiday cuz they ****ing had it in english
its aight
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 06:30:35 »
its aight
I take it as you haven't read the end  :))
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 06:32:55 »
its aight
course i havent
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 06:37:39 »
its aight
course i havent

:D

Haven't read that one but probably won't for some time either. Was in my high school "to read" list and I just read the cliff notes. :D

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 07:22:41 »
its aight

The ending was the only good part.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 08:41:46 »
Currently - 2001: A Space Odyssey

About to start sometime this year - The Expanse series, Captain Victory and The Galactic Rangers, American Gods, Breaking The Chains Of Gravity, Nein., Starship Troopers, Old Man's War, and Gospel Of The Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Habits - I prefer to read ebooks. Less books on the shelf = less stuff I have to pack in boxes in the future. I like paper better but I found out that I can just as easily read the lines on my phone as I can read the lines on paper. If I ever settle down I will probably have shelves on shelves on shelves  :))

Offline iri

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 08:51:25 »
The Real World Ocaml.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline ketsumi

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 08:53:33 »
Habits - I prefer to read ebooks. Less books on the shelf = less stuff I have to pack in boxes in the future. I like paper better but I found out that I can just as easily read the lines on my phone as I can read the lines on paper. If I ever settle down I will probably have shelves on shelves on shelves  :))

I'd prefer if I could read ebooks for exactly that reason, but I have given up, mostly because I already have a mini library and two, it just isn't the same having an author sign your e-reader as when they vandalize a nice chunk of a tree...

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 09:23:33 »

I'd prefer if I could read ebooks for exactly that reason, but I have given up, mostly because I already have a mini library and two, it just isn't the same having an author sign your e-reader as when they vandalize a nice chunk of a tree...
Fair enough. Displaying an ereader or cell phone on a shelf doesn't carry as much weight as displaying a hardcover on a shelf.  :-[

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 09:33:43 »
Too much to post what's on my reading list, but currently reading The Corporation by Joel Bakan.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline iri

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 09:38:43 »

Fair enough. Displaying an ereader or cell phone on a shelf doesn't carry as much weight as displaying a hardcover on a shelf.  :-[
You need to carry so much weight during house move though :-[
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 09:45:44 »

I tried going digital with books but it just doesn't work. I love the smell of paper. I like how a book doesn't need batteries and doesn't shine bright in the evening. And I like to *own* my books. If you buy books officially on Kindle or iBooks you legally own them, but never physically.

Perhaps I'm old fashioned already, but I like paper more.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 10:07:50 »
I just finished the 33 1/3 book covering the Super Mario Bros music. And I've been reading the New Morality Zine #3 and the few Zine of Strengths that have came out. I gotta finish up my HyperPlay zine too.

Offline ketsumi

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 15:06:55 »

You need to carry so much weight during house move though :-[

Yea, it is, but I've resigned myself to the fact that, by weight, some 60-70% of my stuff is books or cooking related. (Cast iron will kill ya)

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 15:22:53 »
Crime and Punishment was a interesting piece
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 20:07:01 »
Right now, I am reading book called "Self-Compassion: The Proven Power of Being Kind to Yourself" by Kristen Neff.  My brother sent it to me so I feel obligated to read it.  I know people may groan with any mention of self help (I certainly did at one point until realizing that was my arrogance speaking), but it is actually somewhat enriching and informative.  Although the cheesiness occasionally surfaces in any "self help" books, but I take the good with the bad.

Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 20:08:07 »
Right now, I am reading book called "Self-Compassion: The Proven Power of Being Kind to Yourself" by Kristen Neff.  My brother sent it to me so I feel obligated to read it.  I know people may groan with any mention of self help (I certainly did at one point until realizing that was my arrogance speaking), but it is actually somewhat enriching and informative.  Although the cheesiness occasionally surfaces in any "self help" books, but I take the good with the bad.

Tp4 sending you digital hugs... feel better..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 20:11:04 »
In my opinion..  If you've watched The Next Generation..  You can skip the majority of written fiction.. there's nothing new to be had..  TNG didn't do it first,  but it did it well, and more than adequately represented all the possible story arcs..

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 10:28:56 »
In my opinion..  If you've watched The Next Generation..  You can skip the majority of written fiction.. there's nothing new to be had..  TNG didn't do it first,  but it did it well, and more than adequately represented all the possible story arcs..

The entirety of written English fiction summarized right here.  Amazing stuff here.

Offline Wannabe

• Independent Adjudicator
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 10:34:37 »
Just started Seveneves by Neal Stephenson. His stuff always has a way of sucking me in.
I liek keyboards

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 11:06:12 »
I've been slowly but surely reading The Decline of the West by Oswald Spengler. I'm having to do a lot of extra reading, as I have little knowledge of much of the history that he discusses, however I'm determined to finish it as the ideas presented so far resonate with me very much.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 16:42:10 »
Just a suggestion, I think this thread is a better fit in Other Geeky STuff subforum.  It's a good thread, but I think it might get lost in the off topic.

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 02:55:24 »
Just a suggestion, I think this thread is a better fit in Other Geeky STuff subforum.  It's a good thread, but I think it might get lost in the off topic.

Can I move it there or does some mod have to do it? I just didn't know where to make this so off-topic it was.
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 April 2016, 03:08:47 by funderburker »

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 16:06:12 »

Can I move it there or does some mod have to do it? I just didn't know where to make this so off-topic it was.

Yea, a mod would have to do it.  You could ask one to do it for you.

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 16:21:56 »

Yea, a mod would have to do it.  You could ask one to do it for you.
Oh darn, I forgot! Will do it in the morning though, need to go to bed now.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 16:48:44 »
I haven't really read anything since I last went on holiday...

I need to go on holiday again...
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 21:10:21 »
Just started Seveneves by Neal Stephenson. His stuff always has a way of sucking me in.

I just grabbed a used copy of Cryptonomicon on amazon for like $3... didnt realize it was a 1200 page book  :eek:  You suggest dedicating that much time to it though?
-Dana

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 22:08:03 »

I just grabbed a used copy of Cryptonomicon on amazon for like $3... didnt realize it was a 1200 page book  :eek:  You suggest dedicating that much time to it though?
I got through Reamde in audio format just fine, but I only made it about a third of the way through Cryptonomicon. I just couldn't get into it, and Stephenson jumps around so much, with so many different characters, that I didn't have the attention to finish it.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 07:23:48 »
Anybody in good legal / psychologica thrillers like patricia cornwell and john grisham?

Offline Wannabe

• Independent Adjudicator
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 09:12:28 »

I'm personally a huge fan of Stephenson, but he's definitely not for everybody. His books always jump around between a few different characters with intersecting storylines. He'll go off on technical tangents and go into extreme detail about scientific principles. For example in Seveneves he spends a bunch of pages just describing orbital mechanics, which greatly helps you understand the book better and get a good picture in your head of what's going on, but it can definitely feel like its dragging a bit. But I still love his mix of action and speculative fiction. Cryptonomicon isn't my personal favorite of his but its still a great book and I learned an incredible amount about actual cryptography. Snow Crash is my favorite book by him, though I'm almost done with Seveneves and it might be my new favorite.
I liek keyboards

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 09:29:48 »

I'm personally a huge fan of Stephenson, but he's definitely not for everybody. His books always jump around between a few different characters with intersecting storylines. He'll go off on technical tangents and go into extreme detail about scientific principles. For example in Seveneves he spends a bunch of pages just describing orbital mechanics, which greatly helps you understand the book better and get a good picture in your head of what's going on, but it can definitely feel like its dragging a bit. But I still love his mix of action and speculative fiction. Cryptonomicon isn't my personal favorite of his but its still a great book and I learned an incredible amount about actual cryptography. Snow Crash is my favorite book by him, though I'm almost done with Seveneves and it might be my new favorite.

I really liked Airframe by Michael Crichton. Neal Stephenson sounds like my kind of author
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 April 2016, 09:31:20 by csmertx »

Offline sek1ne

• Sek-eye-n
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 12:10:44 »

I really liked Airframe by Michael Crichton. Neal Stephenson sounds like my kind of author

I'd give Snow Crash a shot then. It is a bt ridiculous and a lot of fun.
Biking is fun.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 15:56:19 »
Just finished the expanse series after watching the show. I'm not sure what to read next.

Did you do all 9 books or just the trilogy? I'm only just starting book 2 but i'm wondering if anyone has an opinion on doing them in chronological vs. release order.
-Dana

Offline KRKS

• Your friendly neighbourhood umbrella
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 16:02:20 »
Being a weeb, I obviously read mostly Japanese fantasy/supernatural novels, but I sometimes dabble in local stuff(The Witcher, Wędrowycz series, Vampire from M-3, etc.) and some popular things like LoTR.

Habits:(these also apply to mangas/comics, but this is a book thread so I omit them)
I often read in my bed, and try to read the whole volume in one go or at least with as few breaks as possible. I usually use digital only if I can't get something in paper(including libraries/borrowing from friends).

author - title (tags) (completion if applies)

Just read:
Eiji Mikage - The Empty Box and the Zeroth Maria(Action Drama Mystery Psychological Romance Supernatural) (vol.1 out of 7)
A friend of mine misrecommended it to me, and I got kinda bummed for not getting what I've been promised(he said it's an urban fantasy, so I was thinking more in the direction of Toothbrushgatari(w) or Vampire from M-3), but I still like it. However after some time a few things became a bit obvious. Also the first volume kinda works standalone, and many people say it changes with time, so I wonder what they'll bring to the table.

Yuyuko Takemiya - Toradora(Comedy Drama Romance) (completed)
Do yourself a favor and watch the anime adaptation instead. JC Staff didn't change much(except the last volume which was released as it aired, so they changed a fair bit there), but all of the changes are for the better.

Plan to read:
Andrzej Pilipiuk - Deer's Eye series(Action Comedy Historical Supernatural)
I liked every Pilipiuk's book I read so far, and since I've been told I may not enjoy The Cousins I decided to try these next. But then again the same person misrecommended me Maria, so maybe I should try them instead?

Jin - Kagerou Daze(Comedy Drama Mystery Romance Supernatural)
It's based on a series of songs by the same autor, and I think the songs themselves range from meh to abysmally bad. However, since books don't include music, I decided to give them a try. It's not like I haven't dropped a series before(/me looks at where Mirai Nikki manga used to be on the shelves).

Ryougo Narita - Durarara!(Action Comedy Mystery Supernatural)
Kotori delivers hard with their licenses(the only time they didn't is SAO but it pays for better stuff so I don't mind). I'm very hyped to read this, even though I'm aware it's a bit chaotic at the start. And they're rumored to have an even better license coming, but I'm gonna knock on wood for now. But then again, it's not gonna be hard to beat the worst piece of trash from the "rip-off trying to cover plot holes with fanservice" bin Waneko recently announced(No Game No Life for those wondering). And no, I don't dislike fanservice, but if it's the only thing in a book/manga/anime/whatever that doesn't suck then I'm not even gonna touch it. And NGNL fails there too because I'm not into lolis.

That was a long post.
The increasing power of Massdrop WILL kill the community group buys - don't come crying to me after it happens when you're too stupid to see it now. Join me in saving the community!

MD = NO $, NO EXCEPTIONS

Offline iri

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 16:19:11 »
its aight
:thumb: :)) :)) :))

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 18:05:44 »
Just finished The Martian, then had to watch the movie again, they glossed over some really cool stuff.

Adam Savage interviewed the author on Tested, and it was interesting how the book came about and the research involved. If you think the film is far fetched, that was Hollywood taking liberties, the book is actually more realistic, in fact quite a many scientists assisted in correcting it as it was written.

Also a really good interview if you are interested in writing or self publishing.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline sek1ne

• Sek-eye-n
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 18:15:44 »

Did you do all 9 books or just the trilogy? I'm only just starting book 2 but i'm wondering if anyone has an opinion on doing them in chronological vs. release order.

Just the trilogy, I think. I just read them in release order.
Biking is fun.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #47 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 02:24:42 »
The last 'heavy' reading I'd had as of late was One Punch Man manga.....volumes 1 -4. :p ;D But seriously, the last series of books that I was really into was the Necroscope series by Brian Lumley, awesome stuff, wonder why nobody'd made a movie series on them.

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #48 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 02:56:08 »
this thread

Offline GreyAmbience

• I can stop when ever I want
« Reply #49 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 06:30:39 »
Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance. For the 3rd time.

Makes me calm and happy. It's a interesting story about a father and sons road trip, with a a lot of philosophy and reality contemplating
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 April 2016, 06:33:41 by GreyAmbience »