Author Topic: [IC] Createboard 60% Solid Wood Case (GB is currently live)  (Read 11099 times)

Offline Createboardhk

• Createboard
[IC] Createboard 60% Solid Wood Case (GB is currently live)
« on: Sat, 28 April 2018, 14:32:23 »
GB Link: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=95817.0

=
Update Log:
. case weight between 0.3 ¬0.5
. case checked and confirmed fully covered switches
. GB postpone to 25/5/2018

=
Update on 20/5/2018:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=95359.msg2610840#msg2610840

=

Hello Geekhack!

Createboard here, we're a small company based in Hong Kong and we've been working on a 60% solid wood case project that we would love to show you.

With chamfered edges and curved bottom at the back, the features give the case a unique look and feel. The case is compatible with commonly-used 60% PCB and the newly introduced YD60BLE PCB, and includes extra space for battery compartment. It will be coated with Osmo hardwax oil.

194734-0
194736-1
194738-2
194740-3

We would love to hear from you, please let us know your thoughts!
IC Form link: https://goo.gl/forms/bz4XBSZ3OJiewHzi1

Thanks.
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 May 2018, 08:59:14 by Createboardhk »

Offline fcoury

Re: [IC] Createboard 60% Solid Wood Case
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 28 April 2018, 14:36:02 »
I am really interested. Love the case design!

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 28 April 2018, 14:47:41 »
Yes, interested. Nice one.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline wixxzblu

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 28 April 2018, 14:51:33 »
wow i really like this one even tho i like to do my own DIY wood stuff.  :thumb:

Offline enrique.aliaga

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 28 April 2018, 16:00:20 »
Wow! Looks lovely! Is it high-profile? If it is, then I’m very interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Tarienn

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 28 April 2018, 16:21:12 »
Battery compartment eh? Color me interested :)

Offline mudcakehoney

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 28 April 2018, 16:52:55 »
You had me at wood

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 28 April 2018, 20:06:49 »
Very nice.  I'd get one for my upcoming alps 60 build.
keyboards.

Offline fcoury

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 28 April 2018, 23:53:42 »

Which PCB/plate/etc are you using for this build if you don't mind me asking?

Offline 69420swag

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 29 April 2018, 00:32:02 »
Just a question about the finish, the product used to finish it is just an oil/wax right? So I could apply some polyurethane to it right? or does it already have poly?

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 29 April 2018, 00:38:51 »
Yes, please.  I would definitely buy one. 

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 29 April 2018, 07:57:11 »

Which PCB/plate/etc are you using for this build if you don't mind me asking?

Aek64 pcb and most likely a custom cut polycarbonate plate.
keyboards.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 29 April 2018, 08:32:10 »
Interesting. If black/dark wood (e.g. black walnut or ebony) and if walls covers fully the switches. I'm in!

Things that i would change are:
  • That angle, doesn't match at all the rest of the design
  • Would prefer no engrave at all if this is the only engrave we can have (or would pay more for a custom engrave)
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 April 2018, 08:33:43 by KaosJ »

Offline Ravahan

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 29 April 2018, 10:10:43 »
I agree with the comment about the curved surface on the back. It does not really fit the rest of the design imo. A straight back or a sharp angle would be a better fit! Apart from that this is a really nice case, and I'm defenitely interested in getting one when it is possible to do so  :thumb:

Offline Createboardhk

• Createboard
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 29 April 2018, 14:58:44 »
Thanks for the love and support everyone :D
There are a few things I would like to address here. For the wood material, we can confirm we will have black walnut for GB. We are now waiting for the factory to send us some more wood samples, we'll update again when we have them in hand!

Just a question about the finish, the product used to finish it is just an oil/wax right? So I could apply some polyurethane to it right? or does it already have poly?

Sorry for our confusing wording it was actually Osmo's hardwax oil we'll be using, and yes it will be the only finish we apply on the case. In our opinion since it's hardwax oil, we wouldn't recommend adding an extra layer of polyurethane.

Interesting. If black/dark wood (e.g. black walnut or ebony) and if walls covers fully the switches. I'm in!

Things that i would change are:
  • That angle, doesn't match at all the rest of the design
  • Would prefer no engrave at all if this is the only engrave we can have (or would pay more for a custom engrave)
Show Image

I agree with the comment about the curved surface on the back. It does not really fit the rest of the design imo. A straight back or a sharp angle would be a better fit! Apart from that this is a really nice case, and I'm defenitely interested in getting one when it is possible to do so  :thumb:

We were considering a straight back or sharp angle before...however as most of the wood cases are already in straight back, we wanted to have something slightly different this time. We are aware that the uniformity of the design is affected and therefore has been carefully adjusting the curves to a comfortable angle, particularly for touch and feel. Straightback is appealing, but perhaps next round :)

About engraving, we'll need to come back to you later on that, we'll keep it on our update list for the moment.

Offline lecorsair

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 29 April 2018, 15:56:22 »
Definite want. Okay with the curved back. Also agree with KaosJ, high profile(no switch exposure) please.

Offline NastyRabbit

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 29 April 2018, 16:22:09 »
I love the shape, I'm in if it's high profile.

Offline enrique.aliaga

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 29 April 2018, 17:06:45 »
I happen to like the curved back as well. It kind of looks like the IBM Model M in that regard.

Offline NookOppa

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 29 April 2018, 17:38:05 »
Looking really nice so far, I have to agree that I like the curved back as it does also remind me of a Model M
I'm usually one for right angles and straight edges but in this case it looks pretty good.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 30 April 2018, 02:01:56 »
I happen to like the curved back as well.
+1
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline KorbenDallas

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 30 April 2018, 13:48:34 »
I actually would prefer the curved back, it’s subtle and elegant. A deal breaker with this case for me is making sure it’s properly high profile. Looking good so far :thumb:

Offline Darknight00z

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 30 April 2018, 14:21:41 »
+1 for the curved back.

Offline vewy_nice

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 07:44:41 »
I have a pretty "standard" wood case for one of my Alps64's... But I'd REALLY love to replace it with this!

If I could get it in a deep red toned wood, that'd be awesome :)

Offline enrique.aliaga

[IC] Createboard 60% Solid Wood Case
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 05 May 2018, 10:07:13 »
Royal Glam’s 60% wood case has dropped in Massdrop today. It’s tempting, though their past history of many QC issues really makes me wary.

Do you guys have an estimate of when would this GB eventually run?

Thanks!

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 05 May 2018, 22:41:05 »
Royal Glam’s 60% wood case has dropped in Massdrop today. It’s tempting, though their past history of many QC issues really makes me wary.

Do you guys have an estimate of when would this GB eventually run?

Thanks!

Dude, stay away from that royal glam.  Totally not worth the wait or the price for what you're getting.  If you need something soon, grab a wooden case from ebay/ali/kbdfans.  Much nicer quality for less price. Also, there are two pretty good case makers on r/mechmarket   I know these things because I have them all.

I'm quite excited for this project as well, and I plan to purchase at least one if/when it comes to fruition.

Offline feedbaack

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 14 May 2018, 03:57:35 »
Definitely interested ! And I think a version with attached wristrest would be great too !  :thumb:

Offline dodgeyhack

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 14 May 2018, 05:55:00 »
Really nice design. I'm interested.

My only concern is warping. Both other wood cases I've bought have arrived warped to some degree. I think from your wood selections, Padauk is the least prone to warping?

Offline Createboardhk

• Createboard
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 20 May 2018, 03:08:31 »
Hey guys! Thanks for the wait!  :)

We've just received the wood samples from the factory. There will be 6 types of wood to choose in this GB.

195927-0

After discussing with the factory,  we've decided to drop leadwood in the end as the sample we received wasn't too appealing and the additional cost of maintainence would make it difficult for us to keep the price down.

We've made a little adjustment to the wood case so now the switches are fully covered!

For the engraving, there will be the option of keeping it behind or inside the case.

So enough of my babbling, here's some of the revised case photos :D!

195929-1

195931-2

195933-3

195935-4

195937-5

Thank you all for the comments again, we're so happy one of our own favourite designs are becoming a reality soon!
The GB will be opened in 2 days time on 22nd May in Geekhack. Stay tuned everyone!

Offline _ODIN_

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 20 May 2018, 04:44:51 »

We've just received the wood samples from the factory. There will be 6 types of wood to choose in this GB.

(Attachment Link)

After discussing with the factory,  we've decided to drop leadwood in the end as the sample we received wasn't too appealing and the additional cost of maintainence would make it difficult for us to keep the price down.

We've made a little adjustment to the wood case so now the switches are fully covered!

For the engraving, there will be the option of keeping it behind or inside the case.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Thank you all for the comments again, we're so happy one of our own favourite designs are becoming a reality soon!
The GB will be opened in 2 days time on 22nd May in Geekhack. Stay tuned everyone!
cool. really like the padauk. Any information on shipping?

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #29 on: Sun, 20 May 2018, 05:32:41 »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Nice news! Which wood is used on the sample? 

Anyway glad you covered keycaps fully, but there is still a wrong inclination inside the case or just the keycaps are badly placed? 

e.g. this

Offline Createboardhk

• Createboard
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 20 May 2018, 07:00:09 »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Anyway glad you covered keycaps fully, but there is still a wrong inclination inside the case or just the keycaps are badly placed? 

e.g. this
Show Image

Hey, thanks for the reply! I'm away from Hong Kong for the moment, but will check again when I come back the day after.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Re: [IC] Createboard 60% Solid Wood Case (Update :20/5/2018)
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 20 May 2018, 12:58:14 »
Fix that angle issue (should be easy) and I’ll buy two!

Offline _ODIN_

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 20 May 2018, 13:11:43 »
Fix that angle issue (should be easy) and I’ll buy two!
Without the issue I will buy one too  :D

Offline Darknight00z

« Reply #33 on: Sun, 20 May 2018, 18:00:11 »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

e.g. this
Show Image

The inclination issue with the keycaps will be keycap profile dependent. XDA, DSA, SA and Cherry will all have differences.

Either make it higher so you don't have to get measurements from all these different profiles.

Secondly, how heavy is case only? and case + switches+ plate?

Many thanks!

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 21 May 2018, 14:06:07 »
The inclination issue with the keycaps will be keycap profile dependent. XDA, DSA, SA and Cherry will all have differences.

Wrong.  We are talking about the base of the keycap which is linear between each row of the same profile, so if the first row from the bottom is inside the case, last row must be in the case too. OP used cherry profile tho.

Either make it higher so you don't have to get measurements from all these different profiles.

Questionable.  I would like an higher case, but doing it because of laziness is not a good reason. Again, a keycap profile has the same starting point at the bottom (there are non-relevant exceptions, e.g. AEK keycaps)   

Also the first row from bottom is kinda ok (seems like 2mm or so inside the case) so if OP can keep the height coerent along all the rows, that should work well.
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 May 2018, 14:09:23 by KaosJ »

Offline Createboardhk

• Createboard
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 22 May 2018, 11:31:36 »
Just got back and I’ve checked on the case again. It’s just the screw hasn’t been screwed in properly, so end up having the gap. I’ve reassembled it again and it looks fine now.

Here’s a photo of the side now.

196051-0

About shipping, the price does not include shipping fee, as the shipping cost will depend on the quantity bought and the type of wood selected.

Dependant on the type of wood selected, the case will roughly weight around 0.3kg~0.5kg. Please note again the GB is for the case only, so this is the weight for the case alone, we will not include the plate or PCB in this GB.

We will postpone the GB to 25/5/2018 since we return a bit too late, sorry!
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 May 2018, 13:49:36 by Createboardhk »

Offline enrique.aliaga

Re: [IC] Createboard 60% Solid Wood Case (Update :22/5/2018)
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 22 May 2018, 12:51:33 »
Not trying to be anal-retentive here, but that latest shot still shows some tiny gap in the bottom row, which is not apparent in the top rows. See picture:

Offline Createboardhk

• Createboard
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 22 May 2018, 13:11:56 »
Not trying to be anal-retentive here, but that latest shot still shows some tiny gap in the bottom row, which is not apparent in the top rows. See picture:

Show Image

That's actually not a gap. Please see the same case in a different angle shown here.
196054-0

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 22 May 2018, 13:17:11 »

Show Image

That's actually not a gap. Please see the same case in a different angle shown here.
(Attachment Link)

may you show a photo from an higher point? Seems nice now tho 

Offline jlee755

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 22 May 2018, 13:24:10 »
Hope you're not taking all of this too harshly OP, we just want your case to be perfect :thumb:

It's really pretty!

Offline CustomerSupport

• 🕸 developer
    • Discord
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 22 May 2018, 14:01:20 »
Has a price been mentioned yet?

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 22 May 2018, 17:07:24 »

if i remember right, was $72-75 or something like this 

Offline cldskt

• Wallet and hobby aren't friends
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 22 May 2018, 20:37:41 »

According to the IC Form, it was $79 excluding shipping.

"Addiction is buying the things that I don't need with the money I don't have." - me
"Spending $500 on your first custom is justified." - also me

Offline Createboardhk

• Createboard
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 23 May 2018, 13:12:47 »
The price will be 76~77 USD for the case alone.
Thanks for all the comments and kind support again :D

Offline enrique.aliaga

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 23 May 2018, 13:46:11 »
Thank *you* OP, for making such a nice case! :D

Got an (very subjective) aesthetics question: I have a set of MaxKey SA Dolch keycaps. Which wood color do you think would look best with the darkish tones of Dolch?

I was thinking Black Walnut. What do you guys think?

Offline Createboardhk

• Createboard
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 24 May 2018, 13:35:18 »
Glad to hear :D It has been a long (but pleasant) journey going back and forth for the design before posting IC here, so it's nice to know someone loves and discuss the design of it. Thanks again :thumb:

Maxkey SA Dolch is slightly tricky, as wood cases are often gentle and easy-going, it can easily complement most colours, and the same can be said for SA Dolch :D So the 6 choices of wood pretty much sit well with it I think.

Personally I'm a black walnut fan, but if you like strong colours I think Bubinga would be a nice combination and the wood grain is fantastic. I have a friend who made me one and send me as a gift before, it's a different type of case but the heavyness and beautiful wood grain definitely speaks for itself! So that's my opinion on this one. You can see some photos on my IG if you like? It's the same name as my username here.

Offline enrique.aliaga

« Reply #46 on: Fri, 25 May 2018, 13:10:25 »
Thanks a lot for sharing your opinion. I’m gonna have a hard time deciding between Bubinga and Black Walnut. LOL

BTW, any updates on the date of GB?

Cheers.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #47 on: Fri, 25 May 2018, 17:31:39 »
All cool OP but giff GB already  :D

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #48 on: Fri, 25 May 2018, 17:35:29 »
Wait.. the design changed in the second sample, if this is a second sample? (regarding the edges)

I see in the first photo there are really sharp and well made edges (similar to Fjell) while in the last sample seems like the edges are a bit rounded too much (?)
« Last Edit: Fri, 25 May 2018, 17:38:42 by KaosJ »

Offline Starius

« Reply #49 on: Fri, 25 May 2018, 18:14:10 »
Wait.. the design changed in the second sample, if this is a second sample? (regarding the edges)

I see in the first photo there are really sharp and well made edges (similar to Fjell) while in the last sample seems like the edges are a bit rounded too much (?)

You're right, the bevel does look different between the two samples.
I think I prefer the version in the latest image, personally.