Author Topic: [IC] Trifecta, Prototype Pictures in Comments  (Read 51290 times)

Offline 2Moons

[IC] Trifecta, Prototype Pictures in Comments
« on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 10:51:05 »
Discord: https://discord.gg/cM5xEte

Trifecta
Designed by Swiftrax, produced by 2Moons

Renders:

Prototypes Pictures:

Designed to be 100 percent open source from the get go. Trifecta is a unique play on an already iconic design. Need arrow keys? You got it. Want more options for volume control, play, pause, next track? It's on there. Want per key RGB lighting? Got you covered. In Polycarb or Aluminum, Trifecta will be a unique and fun keyboard for you to enjoy.

Specifications
Plate: Polycarb or Aluminum
PCB: Includes stepped capslock. Split Backspace. Per key RGB.
Weight: Brass Weight
Case Angle: 5 degrees
Mounting Style: Top Mount
Hot Swap: Yes
Soldered PCB Option: Yes
Foam: Yes, between the PCB and the bottom of the case

Unit Quantity: To be announced
Price: To be announced
Vendors: basekeys.com

Included Items:
PCB
Aluminum or Polycarb case
Brass or Aluminum plate

Current Status:
Encoders Spread out.
Hot Swap or Soldered Option.
Sides cut to easily pick up.
Knobs or Switches on the right, you choose.
Knobs to come in 2 or 3 colors.
Most popular interest check colors rendered.

Case vendor chosen

Group Buy Date: Undecided
Price: Undecided

E White

Samurai Blue

Red Red Wine

Midnight Black

Polycarb

About the Producer 2Moons:
I am a keyboard enthusiast living in Japan who also has a passion for split keyboards.
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 October 2020, 21:46:19 by 2Moons »

Offline mydens

Re: [IC] Trifecta
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 10:53:06 »
What are the encoders for?

Offline eniigma

• Storefront:
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 10:55:37 »
I love this, great work. Especially with that poly version  :D

Offline 2Moons

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 10:56:21 »
What are the encoders for?

They can be programmed in QMK for all sorts of various things such as mute/unmute, volume up/down, next track, etc. I'm hoping we find a good set of things to program them for.

Offline 2Moons

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 10:57:49 »

I would like to run one or the other, I personally was thinking the Poly might be more fun.

Offline radsan

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 11:02:41 »
Very nice. But is there a reason FN was moved to the right? I find that having it in between the space bars make it really easy to access the whole keyboard as a second layer since you're activating it with your thumbs.

Offline toastyAU

• the breadcat
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 11:08:19 »
them's quite a lot of rotary encoders

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Dolphin v3 | En Dash | Hyphen | Isla | Zenith | Jules | HHKB Pro 2

Offline thecyangiant

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 11:09:08 »
Good golly, three encoders? I have a hard time finding more than one use for my one encoder (volume). Ever tried using an encoder for scrolling? It's... Not good.
However, if you could figure out a way to work with encoder velocity that scales based on speed, then I'm interested - i.e. a slow rotation speed would scroll one line, medium speed 5 lines, fast speed 15. 
But still, multiple encoders are hard to find use for outside of flight sims or an etch-a-sketch.
I know other boards offer encoder and switch support, might be worth considering offering that flexibility.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Offline 2Moons

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 11:11:07 »
Very nice. But is there a reason FN was moved to the right? I find that having it in between the space bars make it really easy to access the whole keyboard as a second layer since you're activating it with your thumbs.

Certainly you could program one of the space bar keys to be a function key if you wanted. On many of the Alice Keyboards, FN is to the right of the right shift but here it was moved to accommodate the arrow keys.

Offline jollyeskimo

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 11:11:51 »
Love it, please keep the full bottom row.

Split backspace?

How about installing switches instead of encoders? Might cause problems with the top case though...

Top mount already finalized? Any dampening/etc?
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 May 2020, 11:35:34 by jollyeskimo »

Offline 2Moons

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 11:12:50 »
them's quite a lot of rotary encoders

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I think we should give the option to have flexibility as people suggested.

Offline 2003987

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 11:13:17 »
Just wow, this is a must have

Offline 2003987

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 11:15:45 »
I know a date haven't decided but just wish this can happen asap.
One question, is it gonna be made in Japan?  :) if yes I am willing to pay a fortune hahaha.
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 May 2020, 11:28:54 by 2003987 »

Offline moonux

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 11:16:26 »

I would like to run one or the other, I personally was thinking the Poly might be more fun.

This is very cool looking. I would love an e-white version of this myself...

Offline danieljgrouse

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 11:21:27 »
Looks great! I'd love to see an option for FR4/PC/POM/some other type of plastic plate. Also split backspace support.

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 11:25:29 »
oh man, I used to play the heck out of 2moons back in the day

Offline 2Moons

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 11:32:47 »
Looks great! I'd love to see an option for FR4/PC/POM/some other type of plastic plate. Also split backspace support.

Split backspace support is very difficult when it comes LED's. As with the Slice keyboard, decisions were made about it early on. There are usually a few options but none turn out very well.

1. Allow split backspace but keep the LED in the center causing glare or glow between the keys.
2. Allow split backspace and don't allow backspace to have an LED at all.
3. Allow split backspace but bypass led so when backspace is split, no led will illuminate.

All these options are just really not good in my opinion. SK6812MINI-E leds used in this board are chain connected, so you can't leave one out. There is a way to split 1 led in the chain into 2, but the stabilizers are in the way. I've always tried to restrict the layout when LEDs are involved. With the slice, I feel that it was a good decision to have a really customizable one with no leds and a strict layout with leds.

Perhaps we could have 2 pcb options.

When it comes to case options, were fully making this open source from day 1 so feel free to modify and enjoy however you want. I think we could have an FR4 plate option but as far as case options, we want to leave it as polycarb or aluminum.
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 May 2020, 11:39:29 by 2Moons »

Offline 2Moons

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 11:34:40 »
oh man, I used to play the heck out of 2moons back in the day

No relation, but I am an old school MMO player that started with Vanilla Everquest....

Offline jollyeskimo

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 11:39:27 »
..... when LEDs are involved. With the slice, I feel that it was a good decision to have a really customizable one with no leds and a strict layout with leds.

For what it's worth I have no desire for any LED's (underglow or per key)

Offline fooddoof

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 11:47:48 »
Don't know what I'd use the extra 2 encoders for but I do love the shape of this!

Offline danieljgrouse

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 11:57:23 »

Split backspace support is very difficult when it comes LED's. As with the Slice keyboard, decisions were made about it early on. There are usually a few options but none turn out very well.

1. Allow split backspace but keep the LED in the center causing glare or glow between the keys.
3. Allow split backspace but bypass led so when backspace is split, no led will illuminate.

All these options are just really not good in my opinion. SK6812MINI-E leds used in this board are chain connected, so you can't leave one out. There is a way to split 1 led in the chain into 2, but the stabilizers are in the way. I've always tried to restrict the layout when LEDs are involved. With the slice, I feel that it was a good decision to have a really customizable one with no leds and a strict layout with leds.

When it comes to case options, were fully making this open source from day 1 so feel free to modify and enjoy however you want. I think we could have an FR4 plate option but as far as case options, we want to leave it as polycarb or aluminum.

As much as I'd personally prefer split backspace over proper LED support, I think your reasoning is solid and I'm not sure having a second PCB basically just for that is worth it since that's probably quite a niche issue. Unless you go with something like a simple non backlit PCB with multiple layout option (maybe even ISO support?) and a proper backlit version with your intended fixed layout (and at that point maybe even consider hotswap sockets for that? I don't love them but there are plenty of people who appreciate not having to solder). But not even that might be worth the effort since the current PCB looks like it should cover most people just fine.

As for the material options, I was referring solely to the plate options, for the case offering both aluminium and polycarb is ideal.

Offline synthtastic

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 12:00:24 »
Woah....
Expensive plastic makes me sigh.

Offline 2Moons

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 12:02:14 »

As much as I'd personally prefer split backspace over proper LED support, I think your reasoning is solid and I'm not sure having a second PCB basically just for that is worth it since that's probably quite a niche issue. Unless you go with something like a simple non backlit PCB with multiple layout option (maybe even ISO support?) and a proper backlit version with your intended fixed layout (and at that point maybe even consider hotswap sockets for that? I don't love them but there are plenty of people who appreciate not having to solder). But not even that might be worth the effort since the current PCB looks like it should cover most people just fine.

As for the material options, I was referring solely to the plate options, for the case offering both aluminium and polycarb is ideal.

Awesome, I think we could do hotswap easily and it might be fun. I will take all your plate options and send them to our manufacturer to ask if they're available. FR4 is totally doable easily. Let me look into it.

Offline robotictomato

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 12:14:39 »
If the encoders could be swapped out for keyswitches I would be much more interested. Or at least the bottom two of the three.

Offline 2Moons

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 12:16:33 »
If the encoders could be swapped out for keyswitches I would be much more interested. Or at least the bottom two of the three.

I'll make sure all 3 can be swapped. Seems like the consensus.

Offline num

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 12:53:04 »
It's been great to watch your case develop on r/mk and exciting to see it get this far. It's going to feel great when you get the first prototypes fully built.

Great to see this being 100% opensource!

Offline swiftrax

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 13:05:57 »

I have thought about making a non RGB version just to have more layouts supported. I was thinking of adding ISO and split backspace. I will work on that. For hotswap that might be a little more difficult since its a top / burger mount case. The pcb would need support to hold it up when changing out the switches otherwise it would be a thing I would do.

Offline vsrnth

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 13:09:50 »
Good golly, three encoders? I have a hard time finding more than one use for my one encoder (volume). Ever tried using an encoder for scrolling? It's... Not good.
However, if you could figure out a way to work with encoder velocity that scales based on speed, then I'm interested - i.e. a slow rotation speed would scroll one line, medium speed 5 lines, fast speed 15. 
But still, multiple encoders are hard to find use for outside of flight sims or an etch-a-sketch.
I know other boards offer encoder and switch support, might be worth considering offering that flexibility.

Yea i too don't see a reason for 3 encoders.
One encoder seems enough.
Love the design, but 3 encoders makes it a no-go for me.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 May 2020, 13:26:44 by vsrnth »

Offline jedidood

• aka neovisual
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 13:17:16 »

Love the design, but 3 encoders make it a no-go for me.

I second this as well, three encoders seems very overkill and messes with the aesthetic as well.

Offline swiftrax

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 14:06:54 »

Love the design, but 3 encoders make it a no-go for me.

I second this as well, three encoders seems very overkill and messes with the aesthetic as well.

https://imgur.com/gallery/QamVrGO like this?

Offline danieljgrouse

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 14:11:57 »
I will say I really like the aesthetic of the three rotary encoders. And I much prefer when cases are designed around the intention of using an encoder rather than letting you put one in a square hole intended for switches. But I guess I'm in the minority with that opinion. Though maybe some sort of a blocker insert for those using encoders to fill in the corners would be possible compromise?

Offline swiftrax

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 14:17:31 »
The blocker would have to be significantly bigger than a normal switch cutout then because there would need to be a way to secure it down to the case

Offline yuki

• sleep is for the weak
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 14:45:47 »
Honestly I don't care about the encoders one way or another, I think they differentiate the board from other alice clones and are 1 each to replace the 3 keys that would be there otherwise. Would I ever use them, no, do they have a purpose, yes. Whether it's only a meta reason or a functional one is up to you I guess.

More importantly I IMPLORE YOU to please for the love of god not just reuse the stupid alice plate for the nth time. Its never iterated upon or improved which is really sad considering its stiff as a rock and in general alices sound and feel very harsh. Iterating on the design in the aspect of sound and feel would do a lot more to make the board stand out than just having chamfers and having rotary encoders nobody can think of a normal use for.

Otherwise I appreciate the effort and the time. GLWIC.

Offline swiftrax

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 15:10:25 »

This is very cool looking. I would love an e-white version of this myself...
Like this?

Offline swiftrax

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 15:14:11 »
Honestly I don't care about the encoders one way or another, I think they differentiate the board from other alice clones and are 1 each to replace the 3 keys that would be there otherwise. Would I ever use them, no, do they have a purpose, yes. Whether it's only a meta reason or a functional one is up to you I guess.

More importantly I IMPLORE YOU to please for the love of god not just reuse the stupid alice plate for the nth time. Its never iterated upon or improved which is really sad considering its stiff as a rock and in general alices sound and feel very harsh. Iterating on the design in the aspect of sound and feel would do a lot more to make the board stand out than just having chamfers and having rotary encoders nobody can think of a normal use for.

Otherwise I appreciate the effort and the time. GLWIC.

So like a half plate or something of that nature? Or what were you thinking would improve the feel and acoustics?

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 15:33:13 »
Spinny knobs on keyboards are just so cool :cool:

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline thecyangiant

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 15:54:46 »
Spinny knobs on keyboards are just so cool :cool:
I almost wonder if there is a way to integrate a fidget spinner/toy into the case.

Offline Tyson

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 15:57:55 »
First Slice now this! I'm loving it my dude, keep up the amazing work!

Offline cadrev

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 16:17:31 »
Oooof this is nice, any ballpark figure on how much will this cost? It's a no brainer buy for me given that I'm based in Japan too!

Offline Retne

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 16:19:49 »
As someone that works in Premiere, After Effects, and Resolve I can find all sorts of uses for those rotary encoders.  Definitely very interested in where this goes.

Offline strigif0rm3s

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 17:23:33 »
I'm in!

Sent from my LIO-AL00 using Tapatalk

Offline 2Moons

« Reply #41 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 18:30:05 »
First Slice now this! I'm loving it my dude, keep up the amazing work!

Thanks! Appreciate it.

Oooof this is nice, any ballpark figure on how much will this cost? It's a no brainer buy for me given that I'm based in Japan too!

It really depends on the number we plan to sell. I want to talk to the manufacturer about how choices between polycarb and aluminum and such might affect the overall price. For instance, out of 30 orders 10 are polycarb. Are those polycarbs then more expensive?

Great support everyone, pretty excited!  ;D

Also Hot Swap and case mount type added.
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 May 2020, 19:23:45 by 2Moons »

Offline Jaltr

« Reply #42 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 19:53:05 »
I'm in

Sent from my SM-J415G using Tapatalk

Offline YMwoo

« Reply #43 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 21:32:43 »
Interested in this!
Personally I'm leaning toward keyswitches instead of encoder myself but still will see how it goes.  :thumb:

Question: will it be possible to include foam in the kit?
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 May 2020, 21:34:47 by YMwoo »

Offline swiftrax

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 22:12:12 »
Interested in this!
Personally I'm leaning toward keyswitches instead of encoder myself but still will see how it goes.  :thumb:

Question: will it be possible to include foam in the kit?

I'm working on allowing it to be keyswitches and encoders so one has the choice for one or the either and we are moving the encoders so there is more space for fingers to turn them.

Offline gummybur

• Keep calm and curry on
« Reply #45 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 22:26:30 »
Personally would get the option with 1 encoder at least. Also would suggest a cutout on the sides so it'd be easier to move around? also would give the side profile of the keyboard abit more character :) lovign it so far!

Offline swiftrax

« Reply #46 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 22:28:04 »
Personally would get the option with 1 encoder at least. Also would suggest a cutout on the sides so it'd be easier to move around? also would give the side profile of the keyboard abit more character :) lovign it so far!

I think I know what you mean by a cutout on the side. I will see what I can do

Offline gummybur

• Keep calm and curry on
« Reply #47 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 22:44:21 »
i think another point I'm not to sure on myself is if the seam can be incorporated into the design of the side profile? You'd kinda be solving the "problem" of a noticeable seamline and make anodization matching less of a headache
Not to sure about this though please correct me if im wrong

Offline swiftrax

« Reply #48 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 23:02:00 »
i think another point I'm not to sure on myself is if the seam can be incorporated into the design of the side profile? You'd kinda be solving the "problem" of a noticeable seamline and make anodization matching less of a headache
Like marks for the two halves to align into each other like a puzzle?

Offline gummybur

• Keep calm and curry on
« Reply #49 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 23:14:02 »
Like marks for the two halves to align into each other like a puzzle?

Yup something like that, should be complementary to the general aesthetics of the board so since the bezels are moderately sized and the corners are curved probly like 2 rounded edges of a jigsaw?