Author Topic: Post your BS boards here!  (Read 433422 times)

Offline Ludovician

Re: Post your BS boards here!
« Reply #300 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 01:21:36 »
Work in progress

Show Image

What are you going to do with it?
Typing speed:
More
Visit the Typing Test and try!

My collection:
More
HHKB Pro 2 (Blank, white) | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S (Blank, white) | Topre Realforce 87UB silent-modded (not currently functional) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown) | IBM Model M 1391401 - 9th January 1991 (Bolt+Floss-modded) | Apple keyboard m0116 (Orange Alps) | Unidentified DIN Keyboard (White Alps) | ADDS 1010 (Green Alps) | AEK II (Linear-modded, USB-converted) | IBM PC-AT Model F | Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Black) | Amstrad PC2286 | BigKeys LX | IBM Model M 1391401 - 6th September 1990 | IBM Model M2 1395300 - 28th February 1991 | Leopold FC660C | Cherry G80-11802 (MX Brown) | Matias Tactile Pro (Simplfied grey Alps) | Razer Blackwidow (MX Blue) | Novatouch 55g | Focus FK-2001 (White alps) | DSE Multitech (Blue alps) | Dell AT101W (Matias quiet) | Pok3r (White w/Clears) | KBP V80 (Blue Alps)

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #301 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 01:33:31 »
Getting mounted in my keyboard tray without a case.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline meow a cat

• Resistance is futile.
« Reply #302 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 01:43:38 »

Yeah it does suck. Everyone I've spoken to doesn't have replacements. Phosphorglow wasn't sure if he had any replacements. Clickykeyboards said no, and Unicomp said buy a full set of our caps.

It could be an excuse to buy some of those neato APL keycaps from Unicomp though?

It's lame the one you got from her has a broken case Rowdy (I think that was you, anyway.). Did she give you a bit of a discount for that?

The APL set looks pretty good. 
Show Image

You can also see more here...
http://imgur.com/a/bBFuv

That does look pretty good, thanks for the link Snowdog!

I finally have an SSK   ^-^

Now I just need to clean it...   :rolleyes:

What are you waiting for?  I'd like to know if it is actually working.  Did you get an SDL cable with it or have one handy to find out?  Oh and just using dish soap with oxyclean works pretty good.  Be sure the keys are dry when you put them back on!!!
  I can't wait to see it when it's sparkling!  Great catch Hoff!

I got mine from Cindy, and it works. I plugged it in and tested all of the keys. She also includes a cable with every SSK. It's really a steal for $75 if you ask me.

I believe that all keycaps included is also guaranteed :)

A full set is guaranteed, but not the exact caps for the board. Missing caps are replaced with Model M caps. My SSK came missing the SSK I and + keys, so I don't have the sublegends. It looks strange on the I key. Unicomp said they can make a replacement, but I have to buy a full set of caps.. and I don't know how good their quality is going to be.

I got a replacement set from Unicomp for SSK, but I only use the alpha/numeric keys. The rest are from other model M/F keyboard. I noticed a difference in the printing when the set first arrived but since using them for a few months now they just seem normal. The embedded number pad looks quite good actually, it is a light grey (if I had a good camera I would take some comparison photos but I don't so I could only bring potatoes to the party).

I think I know the light grey you're talking about, my stock SSK keys have a light grey embedded numpad too. So the printing is reasonably sharp? Are there any crooked prints? I have a cap from them that says GEEK HACK but both words are tilted at an angle. .-.

Thanks for your help! I feel better about a Unicomp set. How well do the alphas match the old alphas? I'd like to maybe keep it all original and just use the I/5 key with the originals. Would it look off?

Boards:
Silver 84-key KMAC LE, 62g lubed & stickered ergo-clears, GON NerD PCB, polycarbonate plate,MX lock/Phosphorglow IBM Model M SSK 1391472/White HHKB Pro 2, Hasu controller/WKL Phantom, 50g vintage blacks, MX lock
Leeku G80-1800 (build in progress)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #303 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 02:44:32 »
Yeah it does suck. Everyone I've spoken to doesn't have replacements. Phosphorglow wasn't sure if he had any replacements. Clickykeyboards said no, and Unicomp said buy a full set of our caps.

It could be an excuse to buy some of those neato APL keycaps from Unicomp though?

It's lame the one you got from her has a broken case Rowdy (I think that was you, anyway.). Did she give you a bit of a discount for that?

Could be a long-term project for you to replace all the keycaps.  I'm the same with one of my full size Model M - I could pay a relatively large amount of money to buy them from Unicomp, or just wait and get a few at a time when the opportunity presents.  So far I have acquired about 6 of the missing keycaps.

The little bit of missing case doesn't seem to affect the stability of the case - it stays clamped together at the front very well.  And I don't know if I got any extra discount, this one was $75, which is what I think everyone else was paying for used SSKs in various condition.

Mine has actually cleaned up pretty well, considering.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #304 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 03:05:41 »

I think I know the light grey you're talking about, my stock SSK keys have a light grey embedded numpad too. So the printing is reasonably sharp? Are there any crooked prints? I have a cap from them that says GEEK HACK but both words are tilted at an angle. .-.

Thanks for your help! I feel better about a Unicomp set. How well do the alphas match the old alphas? I'd like to maybe keep it all original and just use the I/5 key with the originals. Would it look off?

Been trying to get this to post for a while now. I took some comparison shots, on the left is the original and on the right is the Unicomp key. I personally would not mix Unicomp keys with my originals as it is really noticeable. I think the printing is pretty good they are just different.

More
96276-0

96278-1

96280-2
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 April 2015, 04:04:27 by fanpeople »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #305 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 03:39:16 »
Those Unicomp ones, although different, are probably closer to the originals than the non-SSK variants.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #306 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 03:58:27 »
More
96288-0

96290-1

96292-2

« Last Edit: Sat, 04 April 2015, 04:03:06 by fanpeople »

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #308 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 05:26:27 »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.

Offline meow a cat

• Resistance is futile.
« Reply #310 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 07:31:30 »

Been trying to get this to post for a while now. I took some comparison shots, on the left is the original and on the right is the Unicomp key. I personally would not mix Unicomp keys with my originals as it is really noticeable. I think the printing is pretty good they are just different.

More

Thanks for the photos, that's really helpful!  :thumb:

They do look pretty good, maybe just a little bit fuzzier dyesubbing than the original IBMs. My original caps don't have the bold dark sublegends like yours though, so maybe they would match better. I might end up buying their replacement keyset.

Thanks again!

Boards:
Silver 84-key KMAC LE, 62g lubed & stickered ergo-clears, GON NerD PCB, polycarbonate plate,MX lock/Phosphorglow IBM Model M SSK 1391472/White HHKB Pro 2, Hasu controller/WKL Phantom, 50g vintage blacks, MX lock

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #311 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 08:50:28 »
So do you have to contact Unicomp to get an SSK key set?  They don't show it in the store.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline meow a cat

• Resistance is futile.
« Reply #312 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 08:55:47 »
So do you have to contact Unicomp to get an SSK key set?  They don't show it in the store.

I contacted them to ask about getting individual keys, but that's a no. They just point you to here:

http://www.pckeyboard.com/page/Buttons/CPSET

You put in your part number and they will make you a replica set.

Boards:

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #313 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 09:02:57 »

I contacted them to ask about getting individual keys, but that's a no. They just point you to here:

Hey meow
How goes it man. Sorry about the Semi bad news about your board. I mean like you  and others have said you can get a new one from unicomp made. I don't think the custom key set comes with the space bar though through unicomp. Anyways my SSK comes on Monday . I'm super excited and crossing my fingers for a unit with little to no damage . I have already contacted phosphorglow to discuss restoration within 4-6 weeks I should have a fully working and restored SSK ! (That is if my board comes comes in not completely destroyed) anyways please post some pics when you get your board figured out. Also meow I'm going to PM you later on today as I have a slight dilemma with one of my gaming pcs and could use your opinion! Anyways cheers guys
Looking for Black KMAC 2 or KMAC LE Preferably unbuilt kit but will consider an assembled board with clears Please PM me if you can help 8) Always on the lookout for KBK/KWK Bro Reapers,V2s and Clack factory skulls have lots of caps for trade

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #314 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 09:23:33 »

What part number? The SSK part number (1391472)?

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #315 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 09:46:03 »
So do they not do actual custom sets at all? That's disappointing.
Typing speed:
More

My collection:
More
HHKB Pro 2 (Blank, white) | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S (Blank, white) | Topre Realforce 87UB silent-modded (not currently functional) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown) | IBM Model M 1391401 - 9th January 1991 (Bolt+Floss-modded) | Apple keyboard m0116 (Orange Alps) | Unidentified DIN Keyboard (White Alps) | ADDS 1010 (Green Alps) | AEK II (Linear-modded, USB-converted) | IBM PC-AT Model F | Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Black) | Amstrad PC2286 | BigKeys LX | IBM Model M 1391401 - 6th September 1990 | IBM Model M2 1395300 - 28th February 1991 | Leopold FC660C | Cherry G80-11802 (MX Brown) | Matias Tactile Pro (Simplfied grey Alps) | Razer Blackwidow (MX Blue) | Novatouch 55g | Focus FK-2001 (White alps) | DSE Multitech (Blue alps) | Dell AT101W (Matias quiet) | Pok3r (White w/Clears) | KBP V80 (Blue Alps)

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #316 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 10:02:15 »

What part number? The SSK part number (1391472)?

Yes, that is what you would do.

Offline meow a cat

• Resistance is futile.
« Reply #317 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 10:11:33 »

Hey meow
How goes it man. Sorry about the Semi bad news about your board. I mean like you  and others have said you can get a new one from unicomp made. I don't think the custom key set comes with the space bar though through unicomp. Anyways my SSK comes on Monday . I'm super excited and crossing my fingers for a unit with little to no damage . I have already contacted phosphorglow to discuss restoration within 4-6 weeks I should have a fully working and restored SSK ! (That is if my board comes comes in not completely destroyed) anyways please post some pics when you get your board figured out. Also meow I'm going to PM you later on today as I have a slight dilemma with one of my gaming pcs and could use your opinion! Anyways cheers guys

I just paid Phosphorglow for my restoration this morning! I'm super excited to get it shipped out to him. Can't wait to see what he can do with it.

Yeah, no space bars by the looks of it. But they only cost a few dollars for a matching Unicomp spacebar. Unicomps shipping REALLY sucks for international though, but last time I ordered through them I asked specifically for cheaper shipping and they hooked me up with $8 shipping instead of $22 shipping for a WASD and RGB set and a few single keys.

You should end up with something pretty decent, I think Cindy mentioned that only one or two had broken cases and Rowdy ended up with one. Aside from a broken case, I think Phosphorglow can restore just about anything; from looking at his site it seems like he's brought boards back to life that were in way worse shape than the ones Cindy has.

Feel free to PM me whenever, I'll see if I can help!

Boards:

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #318 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 16:33:11 »
Hey Rowdy if I end up replacing my keys with Unicomp keys I'll let you have any of the originals you may need. Just pay shipping from the US.

My boards:
More

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #319 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 05:36:23 »
Hey Rowdy if I end up replacing my keys with Unicomp keys I'll let you have any of the originals you may need. Just pay shipping from the US.

For my latest SSK I think I'm right.  I/m pretty sure all the SSK-specific keys are here.

I do still need a few assorted keycaps for my other full size Model M, if that's what you were referring to :)

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #320 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 06:49:43 »

For my latest SSK I think I'm right.  I/m pretty sure all the SSK-specific keys are here.

I do still need a few assorted keycaps for my other full size Model M, if that's what you were referring to :)
I thought you meant the SSK. Unfortunately for you my full size M is all set so I don't need to replace those keys.

My boards:
More

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #321 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 07:07:06 »
Rowdy, I need to make an order from Unicomp, so if you need any keys I'd be happy to add them to my order and post them to you. Alternatively, trievalot sells replacement Model M caps on ebay, although availability would be limited.
Typing speed:
More

My collection:
More

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #322 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 05:20:21 »
Rowdy, I need to make an order from Unicomp, so if you need any keys I'd be happy to add them to my order and post them to you. Alternatively, trievalot sells replacement Model M caps on ebay, although availability would be limited.

That sounds like a good idea.  trievalot does not have all the keys I need, and including postage would be about the same as ordering from Unicomp.  Plus I might get an RGB set from Unicomp at the same time.

I'll PM you :)

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #323 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 10:55:42 »
Meow
You must be stoked to have sent your board. Unfortunately these old IBMs are heavy shipping must have been a pretty big hit ughhh although Maxx's services seem very reasonably priced to me so that's good. Did you opt for the works as far as options go Bolt modding,USB mod, Caps lock ,scroll and num LEDs and colored underlay? I should be getting my Board from Cindy today and I'm going to try and ship out by Wednesday at the latest. Exciting stuff man you better post some pics when your baby gets back 8) ! Congrats again and hopefully you have a great week.

Looking for Black KMAC 2 or KMAC LE Preferably unbuilt kit but will consider an assembled board with clears Please PM me if you can help 8) Always on the lookout for KBK/KWK Bro Reapers,V2s and Clack factory skulls have lots of caps for trade

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #324 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 15:46:21 »
Meow
You must be stoked to have sent your board. Unfortunately these old IBMs are heavy shipping must have been a pretty big hit ughhh although Maxx's services seem very reasonably priced to me so that's good. Did you opt for the works as far as options go Bolt modding,USB mod, Caps lock ,scroll and num LEDs and colored underlay? I should be getting my Board from Cindy today and I'm going to try and ship out by Wednesday at the latest. Exciting stuff man you better post some pics when your baby gets back 8) ! Congrats again and hopefully you have a great week.

IBM Ms fit in a USPS Flat Rate Board Game Box. $18 with up to 70 lbs shipping. Weight isn't really an issue with boards unless we're talking like Chyron boards or a Beamspring.

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #325 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 22:00:55 »
Meow

IBM Ms fit in a USPS Flat Rate Board Game Box. $18 with up to 70 lbs shipping. Weight isn't really an issue with boards unless we're talking like Chyron boards or a Beamspring.
I just found that out lol and ya that's what mine cost to send ($18)I think meows in Canada though so I'm not sure if shipping is different there.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #326 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 23:00:34 »
Meow

I just found that out lol and ya that's what mine cost to send ($18)I think meows in Canada though so I'm not sure if shipping is different there.

You lot don't know how lucky you are with cheap shipping.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #327 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 01:14:45 »
Meow

You lot don't know how lucky you are with cheap shipping.

#whenpostagecostmorethanyourboardandthenyoupaylikeanextra25percentbecauseoftheexchangerate

Offline meow a cat

• Resistance is futile.
« Reply #328 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 01:23:46 »
Meow

I had him do everything but the USB mod (I prefer PS/2, saves me a valuable USB port for some more flight sim equipment..), all in blue. Should look great!  :thumb:

It should arrive at his place tomorrow!  ;D

Boards:

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
Transformation of 1395162 into 1391401!
« Reply #329 on: Sun, 19 April 2015, 23:53:08 »
Start out with a 1395162 keyboard.  Open up the chassis and pull out the controller and cable.

Find a 1398011 controller.  (A controller from a 1391401 keyboard.)  (About $20)

Replace the controller with the new controller, attach the cables to the controller.
Fully functional keyboard as it sits.
Edit: You can also order a replacement SDL detachable cable from Unicomp for $15, or buy one of Orihalcon's SDL to USB cables.

http://www.pckeyboard.com/page/Cables/1395110

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEIGE-USB-to-SDL-6-Pin-6ft-IBM-Lexmark-Unicomp-Model-M-Clicky-Keyboard-Cable-NEW-/271470078682

If you feel ambitious enough, get a LED Overlay from Unicomp ($1.50).  And get the LED assembly by ordering a Membrane assembly and putting in "LED Asm P/N 13N3297" for the part number.  ($10)
Attach a 4-Pin header to pins 9-12 on the controller and 1-4 on the LED panel.

You will need to drill out the holes for the LED lights to shine through.  Carefully line up the LED Overlay where you would put it, and mark the center of where each LED is.  (I use a black marker pen and make a + sign where each one goes.  I also use a hot tip from a soldering iron and make a small indentation in the plastic for a guide for the drill bit.)  Drill the 3 holes.  Smooth the burrs and put the LED Overlay in place.

Project is finished.  The keyboard looks and functions exactly like a 1391401, and you have a layout identical to one as well.  (The only minor difference is the +z on the + key on the numpad, and the Setup underneath the - key on the numpad.  Kinda cool looking, actually.)

This is just a fun project to me, but I thought I would share how it's all done.  I'm sure someone will find it useful in the future.  Those terminal boards are a good deal, but take into consideration the cost of doing this project as well if you decide to get one.  Enjoy!

Edit: I went and found some more pictures to illustrate how the panel is done.  They may not be from that particular keyboard, however.
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 August 2015, 09:35:12 by Snowdog993 »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Transformation of 1395162 into 1391401!
« Reply #330 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 07:29:21 »
Start out with a 1395162 keyboard.  Open up the chassis and pull out the controller and cable.

Show Image

Find a 1398011 controller.  (A controller from a 1391401 keyboard.)  (About $20)

Show Image

Replace the controller with the new controller, attach the cables to the controller.
Edit: You can also order a replacement SDL detachable cable from Unicomp for $15, or buy one of Orihalcon's SDL to USB cables.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEIGE-USB-to-SDL-6-Pin-6ft-IBM-Lexmark-Unicomp-Model-M-Clicky-Keyboard-Cable-NEW-/271470078682

Show Image

If you feel ambitious enough, get a LED Overlay from Unicomp ($1.50).  And get the LED assembly by ordering a Membrane assembly and putting in "LED Asm P/N 13N3297" for the part number.  ($10)

Show Image

Show Image

You will need to drill out the holes for the LED lights to shine through.  Carefully line up the LED Overlay where you would put it, and mark the center of where each LED is.  (I use a black marker pen and make a + sign where each one goes.  I also use a hot tip from a soldering iron and make a small indentation in the plastic for a guide for the drill bit.)  Drill the 3 holes.  Smooth the burrs and put the LED Overlay in place.

Show Image

Project is finished.  The keyboard looks and functions exactly like a 1391401, and you have a layout identical to one as well.  (The only minor difference is the +z on the + key on the numpad, and the Setup underneath the - key on the numpad.  Kinda cool looking, actually.)

This is just a fun project to me, but I thought I would share how it's all done.  I'm sure someone will find it useful in the future.  Those terminal boards are a good deal, but take into consideration the cost of doing this project as well if you decide to get one.  Enjoy!

Huh, that's cool. Didn't realize you could hot swap the controllers like that. Was thinking of using a Soarers for my Terminal M but now I've got options. :)

Offline Khers

• Schrödinger's box
« Reply #331 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 07:45:53 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 July 2018, 08:03:55 by Khers »

Offline Belfong

« Reply #332 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 07:49:44 »

Two SSKs:

Show Image

Whoa! Super cool!

Offline Khers

• Schrödinger's box
« Reply #333 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 09:32:34 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 July 2018, 08:03:28 by Khers »

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #334 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 10:06:51 »
Two SSKs:

Show Image

The large nap of your carpeting makes these look like tiny Barbie keyboards.

My boards:
More

Offline Khers

• Schrödinger's box
« Reply #335 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 10:28:02 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 July 2018, 08:03:21 by Khers »

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #336 on: Sun, 26 April 2015, 02:15:03 »
Have just finished bolt (screw) modding, new springs that feel much better. Gave it a clean good to go.

New Unicomp LED overlay is eating at my OCD. Its not straight and you can see plastic through the window. It would also be all black but I don't have the proper black space bar or enough keys to do ctrl alt.

[ Specified attachment is not available ]
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 April 2015, 02:07:17 by fanpeople »

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #337 on: Sun, 26 April 2015, 02:47:47 »
Have just finished bolt (screw) modding, new springs that feel much better. Gave it a clean good to go.

New Unicomp LED overlay is eating at my OCD. Its not straight and you can see plastic through the window. It would also be all black but I don't have the proper black space bar or enough keys to do ctrl alt.

(Attachment Link)

Razor knife (or blade).  Extend the blade the height of the sticker and work under the overlay gently until you get it off.  It's not too hard to do, but be delicate when you do it.

Did you bolt mod the original industrial?  Nice job!  I wasn't sure if you modified your other keyboard to ANSI with a bolt mod or ?

Did you want to go entirely black or maybe go all purple as the secondary color?  That would be pretty cool.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #338 on: Sun, 26 April 2015, 03:04:24 »

(Attachment Link)

Razor knife (or blade).  Extend the blade the height of the sticker and work under the overlay gently until you get it off.  It's not too hard to do, but be delicate when you do it.

Did you bolt mod the original industrial?  Nice job!  I wasn't sure if you modified your other keyboard to ANSI with a bolt mod or ?

Did you want to go entirely black or maybe go all purple as the secondary color?  That would be pretty cool.

The problem is that the clear bit on the LED panel extends over where the LED hole in the keyboard ends. Because it is an Industrial I am not game to drill into the case to get rid of the plastic that you can see, as it would be damaging the board.

I ended up cleaning the original internals of the industrial and putting in new springs. It cleaned up pretty well. I also used some double sided tape to layer over where the knobs are which hold the top part of the sandwich (the bits which got guillotined off during transport). This stopped the internals sliding around when flipped and such.

I was going to go with all black just to keep it simple, I had those purple arrow keys sitting around so decided to add some colour.

I am going to get some new springs and ANSI mod that other board, so will most likely get the rest of the black keys when I do that. I do like purple so we will see what happens when I place an order with Unicomp.

Funny thing is, I like the look of the industrial but I miss the SSK already and want to reinstall it as my daily driver..... that needs a bolt mod also.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #339 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 12:21:52 »

(Attachment Link)

The problem is that the clear bit on the LED panel extends over where the LED hole in the keyboard ends. Because it is an Industrial I am not game to drill into the case to get rid of the plastic that you can see, as it would be damaging the board.

I ended up cleaning the original internals of the industrial and putting in new springs. It cleaned up pretty well. I also used some double sided tape to layer over where the knobs are which hold the top part of the sandwich (the bits which got guillotined off during transport). This stopped the internals sliding around when flipped and such.

I was going to go with all black just to keep it simple, I had those purple arrow keys sitting around so decided to add some colour.

I am going to get some new springs and ANSI mod that other board, so will most likely get the rest of the black keys when I do that. I do like purple so we will see what happens when I place an order with Unicomp.

Funny thing is, I like the look of the industrial but I miss the SSK already and want to reinstall it as my daily driver..... that needs a bolt mod also.

The removal of the keyboard LED overlay would allow you to re-align the holes to the indicator.  You just carefully remove it and replace it back correctly.  It's not too hard to do, just take your time.

The double-sided tape is a pretty good idea.  As long as the assembly doesn't move, you're good.

I kinda like legends to find my way around sometimes.  I tend to forget the shift of what is for what.  I usually look when that happens.  Most of the time I am okay.  Hunt and peck if I miss.  Perhaps maybe someday there will be someone that will actually produce white legends on black keys for the model M keyboards again.  It would be nice to see.  (I'd prefer double-shot if that were going to happen, maybe an IBM Selectric type font on it too.)

Are you going to bolt-mod both your other keyboards?  That would be really cool.  I'm definitely not an expert at that.  I leave that to Phosphorglow to be honest.  I'm better at the simpler projects.

Offline Venatorious

• Gotta Start Somewhere
« Reply #340 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 14:30:11 »

edit:
Show Image

Right to left.

Top row 2* IBM "unsaver" model F, IBM "pingmaster" japanese keyboard (in box), "Rubber dome M 101
next row: "oldest known" 122-key model F, KB assembly has been replaced with a NIB one (rest of KB is in a box)
Next row: IBM DIsplaywriter keyboard, IBM correcting selectric II, IBM dome 122-key (in box), PC/XT model F (in foam)
next row: IBM 3278 keyboard
Next row IBM 3178 keyboard, IBM wheelwriter 10 series 2 (boltmodded), IBM AT model F
next row: M13
next row: IBM terminal KB (parts unit), unicomp 104-key, AT&T KB305 terminal emulator variant (the buckling spring at&t board)
next row: IBM 4704-200, 2* IBM 4704-100, 1390120, IBM LPFK (cherry M8 switches)

In the corner are my lightsaver and ergodox half gamepad.

That's all the IBM I could find.

Edit: missing 2 wheelwriter keyboards I have in a box somewhere.

Looks like a very good collection, I hope to see an unsaver soon.  I am intrigued by the "pingmaster" keyboard. Audio perhaps?

You can't just not show us the red LEDs, man!

Show Image

:)

hnnnggggg   Looks so dam gud

Thank you, M13, for your sacrifice.

1390131 internals; industrial case; keycaps, logo badge and LED cover from M13 case.

Show Image

This was a really good choice. Everything goes well together and looks amazing.  :thumb:  Its a shame that the legends on the M13 are pad printed, if the legends were say laser engraved I might want some for my keyboard.

My simple Model M... Nothing special like you guys but I still love it :P I really hope to own a SSK one day...

Thank you to ComradeSniper for this baby ~

Daytime:

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Nighttime:

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Simple is not always bad. I like how you captured this model M, enjoyed viewing the pictures.

Low light picture.

Show Image

Oh my, that looks quite like a keyboard fit for the gods. I don't even like 60% that much, but the kish is so amazing in its form and build that it still makes me wow every time I see one.

My oldest industrial
(Attachment Link)
here is a shot of the label
(Attachment Link)

Wanting that black logo...

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

I had no idea you could do this, and it looks like a lot less work than just doing a Teensy and maybe less cost.

I got an unsaver today.
Show Image

Did you get this one from Ellipse? I think I saw you on DT.

Just got this back from the powdercoater.
Show Image

I'm still deciding on what keycaps I want with it and figuring out how to program the DPH (when I installed it, the Xwhatsit wasn't 100% working with the 107)

That looks amazing. Is it like gunmetal gray? Looks like the inside barrel of a gun. Much respect.

Forget your dinky little plastic membrane model Ms, here's a real BS keyboard:

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

This thing is beast beyond all belief, and the size of a small whale. <3

Those original banking IBM terminal keys are spectacular.

I need to get some good pics of my ANSI modded F122, I might post them later.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #341 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 20:31:14 »
I have more pictures in my Imgur album now.
http://snowdog993.imgur.com/
It's well worth the look around.
More
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 May 2015, 14:28:48 by Snowdog993 »

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #342 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 22:18:04 »

The removal of the keyboard LED overlay would allow you to re-align the holes to the indicator.  You just carefully remove it and replace it back correctly.  It's not too hard to do, just take your time.

Are you going to bolt-mod both your other keyboards?  That would be really cool.  I'm definitely not an expert at that.  I leave that to Phosphorglow to be honest.  I'm better at the simpler projects.

The holes for the LEDs and the clear windows in the overlay don't align because of factory manufacturing, the overlay itself is sitting in the overlay groove perfectly. It wouldn't fix it by peeling it off and realigning.

as a matter of fact I just finished bolt (screw) modding and converting to ANSI the French-Canadian Model M, I also changed out the LEDs for orange.

The key caps will eventually be standard once I get around to cleaning up the spares I have, so for the moment its a bit of a key cap mix.

99165-0

More
99167-1

More
99169-2

More
99171-3

More
99173-4

More
99175-5

More
99177-6
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 May 2015, 22:34:25 by fanpeople »

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #343 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 10:40:41 »
The LEDs and the clear windows in the overlay don't align because of factory manufacturing, the overlay itself is sitting in the overlay groove perfectly. It wouldn't fix it by peeling it off and realigning.

as a matter of fact I just finished bolt (screw) modding and converting to ANSI the French-Canadian Model M, I also changed out the LEDs for orange.

The key caps will eventually be standard once I get around to cleaning up the spares I have, so for the moment its a bit of a key cap mix.

Oh man, I thought it was just an alignment problem.  That's a shame.  Maybe it's just a bit of plastic, like a burr or something you can fish out?  Aww.

I do like the Orange LED mod.  Very cool, and I do like your converting it to ANSI.  Your bolt mod was successful!  Better than I can say.  I'm very impressed!

Have you decided what caps you are going to put on it?  I did get the APL set from Unicomp but had a few keys which they did replace for me that were out of alignment.  That is a pretty set.  I still ordered 3 new End keys because it didn't align with the Delete key.  I finally have the set, and I boxed it back for a future keyboard.

More

This is my playing around and finishing the APL and then finally putting the stock caps back on. That keyboard was used by my nephew and I felt he would be lost with the stock caps.  He just used it until he got his keyboard back from Phosphorglow.  (BTW that keyboard turned out NICE!)

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #344 on: Sat, 09 May 2015, 00:39:29 »
1391401 *For reference.

Converted Terminal Boards:
Just the controller is swapped to a regular 1391401 SDL controller.  That's it!

1394204 With Unicomp APL keyset (So my nephew wouldn't be confused by legends)
*Notice the blank key below the + on the numpad.  (Reserved)

1394204  Back to normal now.

1392595 "Weirdo" (e29 coincidence)

All successful.  If you are wondering about the keys above the enter key on the numpad, the key above the enter key actually is read as "reserved" by the controller.  Above the "reserved" key is the + key and above that the - key.
Regardless of the legends on the keys, it's just a regular 1391401. 

The 1395162 is an almost exact match to a 1391401.  That keyboard (for the legends) would be the best one for the conversion.  (Or just replace the legends if you can't stand terminal legends)  But why do that?  They are all awesome!
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 May 2015, 02:31:45 by Snowdog993 »

Offline Touch_It

Post your BS boards here!
« Reply #345 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 22:53:53 »
My 1390131 barcode label M.  Sucky pics.  More to come later.  Same with my model F 122 key.

Ps my pics suck compared to snowdogs' :(
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 May 2015, 22:57:01 by Touch_It »

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #346 on: Mon, 11 May 2015, 00:33:03 »
Your pictures are just fine Touch_It. 
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 May 2015, 23:20:33 by Snowdog993 »

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #347 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 00:06:57 »
A couple more to show.

IBM SSK Phosphorglow Restoration:

IBM Trackpoint M13 brought back to life by Phosphorglow:
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 June 2015, 10:50:22 by Snowdog993 »

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #348 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 08:16:26 »
A couple more to show.

Show Image

Show Image

Stop making me want a trackpoint.

My boards:
More

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #349 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 08:52:17 »
A couple more to show.

Show Image

Show Image

Stop making me want a trackpoint.

+1